Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2013- Mod Warning Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭thesultan

Ballygunner were about six points the better team and where dominate because of the brilliance of Wayne Hutchinson. They could have put on a few points at the end but a surreal and wonderful come back by Passage stopped them when they thought the cup was theirs. I stayed on for five minutes after the game in awe of what just happened. Brillant daylight robbery.

Would they play the Youghal Ardmore game in Tallow or Lismore? Bound to draw a huge crowd?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

thesultan wrote: »

Would they play the Youghal Ardmore game in Tallow or Lismore? Bound to draw a huge crowd?

It will be a Cork venue because Youghal have home advantage. More than likely Youghal itself or possibly Killeagh. Dont think Ardmore will mind the trek across the bridge shur its much closer than Fraher Field

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Sami Jenkis

Was watching Hurling at Mount Sion last saturday evenibg , Playing against De La Salle, under 14 i think.. Was very impressed with a big forward number 14, he is the one to watch for the future. What was his name and who won the match. Just left the bar in the middle of the match. Information would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I presume you're on about the DLS Full forward?
    DLS ran out very comfortable winners. It was no contest for the entire game really. As U14 teams go, they were very impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭chainsawman

I presume you're on about the DLS Full forward?
    DLS ran out very comfortable winners. It was no contest for the entire game really. As U14 teams go, they were very impressive.

Yeah,,, Him, what was his name. They looked very strong. A good management team.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

Unbelievable stuff yesterday. Passage must be in 7th heaven. Must say I'm delighted for them they have being soldiering for yrs with some great players losing out in county finals well yesterday was probably as much for those fellas as much as the current squad.i would imagine nobody in the county would begrudge them their victory.

I wouldn't get carried away on the Peter Queally thing because of yesterday though. Spoke to one of the players yesterday after the game and he was firmly in the McGrath camp(not a DLS player). I think McGrath with the backroom team he has put together will be a serious proposition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭alllcounty

cul beag wrote: »
    I wouldn't get carried away on the Peter Queally thing because of yesterday though. Spoke to one of the players yesterday after the game and he was firmly in the McGrath camp(not a DLS player). I think McGrath with the backroom team he has put together will be a serious proposition.

Was it pauric mahony you were talking to? There was a piece in the programe where he was asked who was the biggest influence on his career and he said Derek Mcgrath and he also said Fergal Hartley so I guess there's your answer. Somebody you may look up to doesen't always make a good manager.

Who has McGrath assembled as his backroom team to suggest he will be a serious proposition? Doubt he will have Jimmy Payne or Pat Flanagan as part of his team as when they launched Peak Fitness in waterford recently there was no sign of Derek at the launch but Peter Queally was there. I'd reckon Queally would have the better backroom team.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭culbaire

Unbelievable stuff yesterday. Passage must be in 7th heaven. Must say I'm delighted for them they have being soldiering for yrs with some great players losing out in county finals well yesterday was probably as much for those fellas as much as the current squad.i would imagine nobody in the county would begrudge them their victory.

You are obviously here to promote Derek McGrath.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

Is that the sound of straws being clutched?You must admit that Peter Queally has torn the grand plan by the anti Michael Ryan crew into pieces.Isn't that why Michael Ryan was forced out because a certain element wanted Derek McGrath to get the job and the qualifications of the other candidates for the job was irrelevant because these people wanted Derek McGrath and Derek McGrath only for the job.Of course the plan was for De Le Salle to win the county and perhaps the all ireland and then the golden boy would placed on the throne and awarded with the biggest job in Waterford sport.Sure look how can we turn down Derek McGrath now!It hasn't worked out that way though and i think Peter Queally has by far the better record out of the two candidates.He was also involved with Davy as a selector so he's well entitled to be favourite for the job now.

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭doublejj

tonto is the young lads name thomas douglas....good young lad but to be fair is much bigger and stronger can just walk through them great skill as well...but they will catch up to him in few years mount sion and them usually much closer at u 14....

What backroom team has he put together? You are not Derek by any chance?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭The blue blaa

culbaire wrote: »
    What backroom team has he put together? You are not Derek by any chance?

Derek McGrath has no backroom team sorted yet and his interview last week lasted over 2 hrs. Peter Quelly has his interview tomorrow evening so hopefully by this time next week it'll be sorted out it doesn't look like any outsiders interested cos our county board cant keep their mouth shut normally but I'd be surprised if Quelly didnt get it hes cut his teeth in various teams both intermediate an senior club and worked wit u21 and senior county teams this is what Derek should perhaps do to be considered for a top intercounty job.

Phew! Is it safe to offer an opinion on here at all? You could be accused of all sorts! No I'm not Derek McGrath, all I said was that I thought McGrath's backroom team would have more to offer that surely can be discussed sensibly and not turn it into a war of words about the 2 candidates? For what its worth I would have given Michael Ryan another yr but seeing as that didn't happen we have to choose from the 2 lads. If it were my choice I would have gone for a combination of Donal og,James o Connor and Ken McGrath but it seems non of them are interested.

The names I heard on McGrath's team are Frankie Flannery from CIT in Cork,Willie Maher the former Tipp minor manager,and Dan Shanahan. That team up against Queally,Darragh Duggan and Darragh o Sullivan seams a stronger option. That's just my opinion I'm putting it out there to be discussed rationally rather than be accused of promoting McGrath! Although going by previous posters id say queally is the favorite on here! Best of luck to him if he does get it I've nothing against the man whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭seananigans

Derek Lyons appointed as Waterford minor hurling manager for 2014 https://twitter.com/tomasmcc/statuses/389874891165798400">October 14, 2013

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

Derek Lyons appointed as Waterford minor hurling manager for 2014 https://twitter.com/tomasmcc/statuses/389874891165798400">October 14, 2013
    Did Sean Power step down?

Phew! Is it safe to offer an opinion on here at all? You could be accused of all sorts! No I'm not Derek McGrath, all I said was that I thought McGrath's backroom team would have more to offer that surely can be discussed sensibly and not turn it into a war of words about the 2 candidates? For what its worth I would have given Michael Ryan another yr but seeing as that didn't happen we have to choose from the 2 lads. If it were my choice I would have gone for a combination of Donal og,James o Connor and Ken McGrath but it seems non of them are interested.

The names I heard on McGrath's team are Frankie Flannery from CIT in Cork,Willie Maher the former Tipp minor manager,and Dan Shanahan. That team up against Queally,Darragh Duggan and Darragh o Sullivan seams a stronger option. That's just my opinion I'm putting it out there to be discussed rationally rather than be accused of promoting McGrath! Although going by previous posters id say queally is the favorite on here! Best of luck to him if he does get it I've nothing against the man whatsoever.
    It was said in jest. Do you really think I believed that you were Derek McGrath?

culbaire wrote: »
    It was said in jest. Do you really think I believed that you were Derek McGrath?
    I'm new to this crack so I wouldn't know the characters on here yet! Il need to toughen up quickly I think if I'm to survive in this league!!

Did Sean Power step down as the minor manager? Was it not rumoured he was staying on?

His tenure was up but wasnt re ratified. I saw him at the co final sunday he was with another one of this years minor selectors so he was definetly gearing towards another term. Hell be disappointed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Heard the County board wasn't happy to just take the two candidates from Waterford and were looking elsewhere, with Martin Fogarty being their preference.

How much has changed since Sunday will be interesting to see.

Heard the County board wasn't happy to just take the two candidates from Waterford and were looking elsewhere, with Martin Fogarty being their preference.

How much has changed since Sunday will be interesting to see.

Hes a top class coach with a wealth of experience. I hope that they at least speak to some outsiders. Everyone is going to say now that Queally 'deserves it' but deserving it and being the right man are 2 different things

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

robopaddy wrote: »
    Hes a top class coach with a wealth of experience. I hope that they at least speak to some outsiders. Everyone is going to say now that Queally 'deserves it' but deserving it and being the right man are 2 different things

Everyday Queally seems to be more and more the right man. I think when people say deserve it they mean based on what he's achieved. I think that's pretty much the same as saying he is the best candidate.

• Advertisement

Everyday Queally seems to be more and more the right man. I think when people say deserve it they mean based on what he's achieved. I think that's pretty much the same as saying he is the best candidate.

I just hope the recruitment process hasnt stopped based on Passages co. final win the other day and that all options are still being considered. It is too big a decision to make basing it on the fact that its the handiest appointment to make because Queally is flavour of the month at the moment. The future of Waterford hurling is at stake.

Dont get me wrong I think Queallys credentials are good and if he is deemed to be the right man for the job by the recruitment committee I will be happy with that, but with a committee of 6 of them put in place youd be hoping that no stone is left unturned in finding the right man to bring the next generation of young hurlers in Waterford forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Out of interest, does anyone know how successful Brian Cody was at club level before he was appointed in Kilkenny in 1999? Althought it's so long ago now, not many people may remember!

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Hslaw

hardybuck wrote: »
    Out of interest, does anyone know how successful Brian Cody was at club level before he was appointed in Kilkenny in 1999? Althought it's so long ago now, not many people may remember!

As far as I know he didn't do to well.

An uncle of mine is a kk fan. He reckons cody managed James Stevens ( i think )or one of them clubs before his inter county career.

But he never got to a semi or final

I dunno how accurate that is so feel free to correct me.

We win our first AI title in over half a century. And what does the Co board do. And With a good few minors back on the team again next year. Wouldn't you think they'd keep the current manager in place.

Hslaw wrote: »
    We win our first AI title in over half a century. And what does the Co board do. And With a good few minors back on the team again next year. Wouldn't you think they'd keep the current manager in place.

Next years minor team were very successful up along the grades winning the Tony Forristal and Nenagh Plate at u16. Theyve had the same management up along and theyve kept the same management for minor level and I think theres a lot to be said for that.

It was a hard call but Sean Power can leave with his head held high. Maybe he could look to getting involved with the u21s.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

As far as I know he didn't do to well.

An uncle of mine is a kk fan. He reckons cody managed James Stevens ( i think )or one of them clubs before his inter county career.

But he never got to a semi or final

I dunno how accurate that is so feel free to correct me.

Did a bit of Googling and found an article about Cody's appointment. There isn't one reference to his management record, which suggests (as opposed to confirms) that your uncle may be on to something. Looks like the KK county board rubber-stamps appointments. Imagine that!

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Crusty Blaa

Cody was manager of James Stephens for a number of years. His main success came at underage level. I think he went unopposed for the KK job in 1998, don't think anyone else wanted the job of rebuilding.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Certainly from an outsider looking in I felt your minors won the AI despite the management and not because of them, they madfe numerous baffling decisions, maybe Im been a little harsh and I have no idea of the mans CV up to this, but that was what it looked like to me, Waterford were far superior to all opposition in every game they played and could have been beaten four or five times.

Certainly from an outsider looking in I felt your minors won the AI despite the management and not because of them, they madfe numerous baffling decisions, maybe Im been a little harsh and I have no idea of the mans CV up to this, but that was what it looked like to me, Waterford were far superior to all opposition in every game they played and could have been beaten four or five times.

Its a fair point. And I know where your coming from.

Maybe Derek Lyons can bring them to another level.
    But if he falls short next year god help him. He will be ripped a new one on this very site.

• Advertisement

Its a fair point. And I know where your coming from.

Maybe Derek Lyons can bring them to another level.
    But if he falls short next year god help him. He will be ripped a new one on this very site.

Of course I hope I'm proven wrong.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement