Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2013- Mod Warning Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23 RebelAbu32

great finish to the final sunday what a way for Na Piarsaigh to win there first title

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

RebelAbu32 wrote: »
    great finish to the final sunday what a way for Na Piarsaigh to win there first title

:eek:

twitter should be banned. that is all

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

robopaddy wrote: »

Any form of elaboration?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

The Waterford GAA Gossip thing I saw earlier?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

another story that's after growing many legs?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭seananigans

Due to the fact that a lot of news simply goes unreported,you have to love twitter,im only on it for the Waterford stuff for the most part

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Black Suir

And the Tipp County final deferred. There hasn;t been a Waterford County final on tv for a good few years as far as I can remember.

I am told that this is down to the county board. I was told that if any of our two senior finals were to be shown live, the gate would suffers, more over if it was a bad day as people rather than go and see it live they could watch it at home or in the pub.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Black Suir wrote: »
    I am told that this is down to the county board. I was told that if any of our two senior finals were to be shown live, the gate would suffers, more over if it was a bad day as people rather than go and see it live they could watch it at home or in the pub.

I guess overall it's for the good of Waterford. But as someone who would have been there had I been able to, it sucked. Especially as it sounds like without doubt the best County final in years. Mind you, Lismore and Ballygunner the first day in 2009 was pretty good too.

cul beag wrote: »
    Unbelievable stuff yesterday. Passage must be in 7th heaven. Must say I'm delighted for them they have being soldiering for yrs with some great players losing out in county finals well yesterday was probably as much for those fellas as much as the current squad.i would imagine nobody in the county would begrudge them their victory.

I wouldn't get carried away on the Peter Queally thing because of yesterday though. Spoke to one of the players yesterday after the game and he was firmly in the McGrath camp(not a DLS player). I think McGrath with the backroom team he has put together will be a serious proposition.

Care to share what you know.

• Advertisement

Heard the County board wasn't happy to just take the two candidates from Waterford and were looking elsewhere, with Martin Fogarty being their preference.

How much has changed since Sunday will be interesting to see.

Tom Cunningham in the Indo hinted about 2 weeks ago that the county board may have to look elsewhere, but a lot of what Tom says has to be taken with a pinch of salt. He likes to go on a bit of a solo run at times.

Hslaw wrote: »
    We win our first AI title in over half a century. And what does the Co board do. And With a good few minors back on the team again next year. Wouldn't you think they'd keep the current manager in place.

Blame the Coaching Committee - the paid members for it. They put a plan in place a while back and it seems it has to be followed.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 1club1county

STIG83 wrote: »
    Did Sean Power step down?

Yes Sean Power stepped down

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

Care to share what you know.
    I did already? Dan Shanahan,Frankie Flannery and Willie Maher are mentioned for McGrath's team.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Deise_Davy

No, he didn't step down.

The procedure is that manager's stay with the same group of players from Under 14 to Minor.

He coached the current minor team from Under 14 to the end of the All-Ireland final and then his time was up.

Derek Lyons has coached next year's minor team since they were Under 14 and will therefore be the minor manager for 2014.
    There was no stepping down done by any one.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Sami Jenkis

The Waterford GAA Gossip thing I saw earlier?

I'm not on it myself but was shown that stuff earlier. Crazy goings on what happened!!

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭alllcounty

If Queally gets the senior job, I would like to see Sean Power be manager of the U21's for next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 1club1county

alllcounty wrote: »
    If Queally gets the senior job, I would like to see Sean Power be manager of the U21's for next year.

I would agree with you & I would like to see us follow the Clare model on developing players from minor to u21

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭alllcounty

I would agree with you & I would like to see us follow the Clare model on developing players from minor to u21

Yea both Gerry O'Connor and Donal Maloney who oversaw the clare minors in 10 & 11 when they won munster then went on to the U21's in 12 & 13 to win all irelands. But having a man like Paul Kinnerk as part of the backroom team training the teams helps big time aswell. Who ever gets the job there needs to be a greater emphasis on perfecting the skills of the game and having small conditioned games in training where players are playing with limited space and making quick decisions under pressure to get them operting at a higher and faster level.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Dublin footballers have been doing this very successfully in recent years. They've managed to get legendary ex-players involved in teams from the ground up. Guys like Jim Gavin came up through the ranks with underage teams to win a senior All Ireland. Dessie Farrell is currently working his way up, and is working with the U21s at the moment.

That can be a dangerous policy too though - you need to identify the right guys early on. Having the wrong people in place could ruin a crop of players. This may also lead to bias, with fringe players not getting a chance to break their way in.

Most importantly, the work must begin in the clubs. Having spent time outside Waterford, I think our clubs have a bit of a way to go in terms of matching the level elsewhere. This is reflected in the performance of our teams below senior level at provincial level.

We've been very fortunate that the schools teams have given a lot of lads from smaller clubs the chance to develop their skills at a higher level. We've also been quite fortunate that sports like soccer and rugby aren't too big outside of the city. However, needing to fight to attract players and maintain their interest would probably force our clubs to be better.

• Advertisement

If he did, he did a Michael Ryan on it because it was not that long ago that he was on WLR saying that he was interested in staying on. I even recall maybe as a joke he was asked (after winning the All-Ireland) about the senior job and from what he said, I got the feeling that he felt he was up to the standard required for the job.

He will possibly get the under 21 job for 2014 if Peter Quealy gets the top job.

cul beag wrote: »
    I did already? Dan Shanahan,Frankie Flannery and Willie Maher are mentioned for McGrath's team.

I responded to your comment before getting to where you did give names. I am one of these people that start reading at the page where I last read and work towards the end, not start at the last page and finish where I last stopped, so therefore had not seen your comment.

hardybuck wrote: »
    Dublin footballers have been doing this very successfully in recent years. They've managed to get legendary ex-players involved in teams from the ground up. Guys like Jim Gavin came up through the ranks with underage teams to win a senior All Ireland. Dessie Farrell is currently working his way up, and is working with the U21s at the moment.

That can be a dangerous policy too though - you need to identify the right guys early on. Having the wrong people in place could ruin a crop of players. This may also lead to bias, with fringe players not getting a chance to break their way in.

Most importantly, the work must begin in the clubs. Having spent time outside Waterford, I think our clubs have a bit of a way to go in terms of matching the level elsewhere. This is reflected in the performance of our teams below senior level at provincial level.

We've been very fortunate that the schools teams have given a lot of lads from smaller clubs the chance to develop their skills at a higher level. We've also been quite fortunate that sports like soccer and rugby aren't too big outside of the city. However, needing to fight to attract players and maintain their interest would probably force our clubs to be better.

Cork are doing the same with hurling. I saw on Facebook or Twitter where the likes of Joe Deane and The Rock were involved with their under 16 teams this year. I don't know if it was a case that they are brought in every so often to talk to the players, maybe give them a coaching session every so often or if they are with them full time. Whatever way it is in Cork with these lads its more than what we are doing in Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭seananigans

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/hurling/queally-and-mcgrath-still-head-to-head-in-race-for-deise-job-246552.html

apparently the media think it goes to whoever can deliver mullane, wouldnt be surprised if kelly came back under queally though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Cork are doing the same with hurling. I saw on Facebook or Twitter where the likes of Joe Deane and The Rock were involved with their under 16 teams this year. I don't know if it was a case that they are brought in every so often to talk to the players, maybe give them a coaching session every so often or if they are with them full time. Whatever way it is in Cork with these lads its more than what we are doing in Waterford.

I believe Kilkenny started doing this, and it wasn't restricted to Kilkenny county teams. U12 or u14 club teams would be visited by a Kilkenny All ireland winner who would take them for at least one coaching session in a year.

As for saying that what Cork are doing is more than what we're doing, I'm sure you'll find plenty of disagreement down their way.

I would like to see something similar in Waterford, top names from the past 10/15 years getting involved with development squads starting from u14 level all the way up along. Even if it was just one for each group. Guys like Dan Shanahan, Ken McGrath, Eoin Kelly, John Mullane, Eoin Murphy, Clinton Hennessy etc who have all retired in the last few years and would have been idols for these lads growing up and they have a wealth of experience and expertise that can be passed onto the next generation. Even if they were involved just as selectors or similar capacity as opposed to managing or coaching but I think what Cork are doing with the 2 lads mentioned above is a brilliant idea and these young lads are coming through the system with an insight into what is needed to be successful at the top level

I believe Kilkenny started doing this, and it wasn't restricted to Kilkenny county teams. U12 or u14 club teams would be visited by a Kilkenny All ireland winner who would take them for at least one coaching session in a year.

As for saying that what Cork are doing is more than what we're doing, I'm sure you'll find plenty of disagreement down their way.

didnt see your post before i posted mine.. but its pretty similar idea

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/hurling/queally-and-mcgrath-still-head-to-head-in-race-for-deise-job-246552.html

apparently the media think it goes to whoever can deliver mullane, wouldnt be surprised if kelly came back under queally though
    I don't know if I'd like to see Mullane return next year.

He chose to retire and stated in the clearest terms possible that it had nothing to do with Michael Ryan, it was all to do with him not being able to devote the time to inter-county hurling any more. To see him come back then once Michael Ryan is gone (and especially if Derek McGrath is appointed) would seem to me an admission of deceit on his behalf.

It would also be a bit sickening to think he wasn't around this year when we really needed him when he may have made the difference to us getting passed Kilkenny. Although if he was there maybe we would've been relying on him like in previous years. The fact that he is gone means the forwards we have now have to step up to the plate.

In saying all that I can't say I wouldn't be excited by seeing him return.

I don't know if I'd like to see Mullane return next year.

He chose to retire and stated in the clearest terms possible that it had nothing to do with Michael Ryan, it was all to do with him not being able to devote the time to inter-county hurling any more. To see him come back then once Michael Ryan is gone (and especially if Derek McGrath is appointed) would seem to me an admission of deceit on his behalf.

It would also be a bit sickening to think he wasn't around this year when we really needed him when he may have made the difference to us getting passed Kilkenny. Although if he was there maybe we would've been relying on him like in previous years. The fact that he is gone means the forwards we have now have to step up to the plate.

In saying all that I can't say I wouldn't be excited by seeing him return.

Well he has already stated categorically that he 100% wont be returning next year so why is this argument even still going on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

I really don't understand the underlying resentment towards Mullane. He's one of the best forwards we've ever produced. He devoted himself to the county team for over 10 years. At 32 years of age he decides he wants some time out to spend with his young family, and people snipe at him over it. Some reward for all your years of service...

Plenty of guys have gone away for a year or longer and have recharged their batteries and regained the hunger. Brian Corcoran was a great example of that. He didn't even go to games in his absence, never mind play them. He comes back after 3 years out and wins two All Irelands, losing another final.

I've seen very little club hurling this year, and none of Kelly. I thought his legs were gone when I saw him last, could he cope with the pace of modern intercounty?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement