Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2013- Mod Warning Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

alllcounty wrote: »
    It's good the city council owns Roanmore's Cleaboy pitch as the banks wont be able to get their hands on it. The 800,000 debt must have mainly come from purchasing the second field. I dont suppose they could sell their allotments out there for 10,000 each on the extra space they had.

Would some of the Ferrybank population with a kilkenny background send their kids to Slieverue or Kilmacow gaa clubs I wonder as their kids would then be considered part of KK. I would expect Ferrybank and especially Erins Own adult clubs to be doing alot better than they are.

Erins own have won the div 2 county minor championship 2 times in the last 5 years and have been in the top 5 of div 2 on the other 3 times. That's why teams like them never reach their potential at adult level because of the divisional championships they are playing in at intermediate level. Thanks Pat Grant and Eddie Cunningham, both themselves from senior clubs, ye really do put the couny first before ye're own self interests on divisional boards. Clubs like Slieverue and Kilmacow dont have that problem which partly explains why they always hammer Ferrybank intermediate team in challenge match's.

Good to hear Erins Own have been making some progress at underage. They only won one intermediate hurling game this year, and are a decent junior football side. You'd feel there is a lot more in them though, particularly with their good history, and they've a good portion of the city with no clubs too near them.

Ferrybank has a population of around 5k I think? No doubt a certain amount of people will have KK roots, and roots in other clubs in the city, but again, they could and should be doing better. Look at Ardmore for example as a senior hurling and football club operating with tight numbers.

I heard, and I shouldn't be spreading rumours, that Ferrybank's intermediate hurling management walked earlier this year due to a lack of commitment from the players to training etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭DeiseX

I shouldn't even bother replying but rumours about Ferrybank management "walking" are 100% untrue. As someone who knows the true story (and both sides of the story), it was mutual...end of!

Every club has their issues. Ferrybank is no different to anyone else... Portlaw had their issues with Growler's team selection for the intermediate final, Erins Own apparently had a split with their intermediate and junior panels (so I heard, but hey, you've mentioned rumours), Mount Sion turfed out Fennelly of Ballyhale a few years ago, Flannery got his marching orders from Dungarvan too...bottom line here is people....things don't always work out...that's life.

5k population perhaps, but a lot of this is owed to the Celtic Tiger housing boom. A lot of these newcomers bring their children to their own home clubs. Its a situation that is similar to what is happening in Tramore. Love to know when Ferrybank got these "hammerings" from Kilmacow...and certainly not from Slieverue!!! Most people of Kilkenny preference would still send their children to Ferrybank. Soccer is still probably the main sport in Ferrybank too. Yes, we should be doing better, but we are moving in the right direction, albeit slowly. Passage showed last week what can be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

What are the thoughts for the football finals over the weekend? Mt Sion V Colligan, DLS V Ballyduff Upper and the big one Sunday,Stradbally V Ballinacourty. I have to admit i haven't seen any of the junior or Intermediate teams in action this season so i can't make a call on either but i wouldn't mind doing a little treble for a bit of interest if i got some advice here? I have a slight edge towards Ballinacourty but i'm open to contradiction as i know what Stradbally are all about. The 2 Aherne's up front for Stradbally are a real handful but i just think Ballinacourty are slightly better balanced.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭shoddy14

cul beag wrote: »
    What are the thoughts for the football finals over the weekend? Mt Sion V Colligan, DLS V Ballyduff Upper and the big one Sunday,Stradbally V Ballinacourty. I have to admit i haven't seen any of the junior or Intermediate teams in action this season so i can't make a call on either but i wouldn't mind doing a little treble for a bit of interest if i got some advice here? I have a slight edge towards Ballinacourty but i'm open to contradiction as i know what Stradbally are all about. The 2 Aherne's up front for Stradbally are a real handful but i just think Ballinacourty are slightly better balanced.

Colligan certainties in Junior. I think DLS Ballyduff is very hard to call, DLS would be favourites but Id have a slight fancy for Ballyduff. Stradbally for me in the Senior. Machines of men

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Black Suir

I wonder will Ballygunner be ok to pay for their impressive facilities including a indoor astroturf pitch costing 1.5m. It would be a shame if Roanmore went out of existence as they field most of their underage teams in the A division and DLS is big enough as it is.

I was not aware that Ballygunner were undertaking such work. I did hear however, the year that they had Ger Cunningham with them, they took a massive financial hit, as he was reported to be on very generous mileage to and from Ballygunner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Deise Doodler

Black Suir wrote: »
    I don't know the answer, but do we have many former and present inter county players out of work right now, and would it be possible through the county board, the Munster Council and the GPA to get them involved in a coaching scheme where they would visit the schools and clubs as well as work with the Development Squads. It could help to bring us to the next level. I don't mean to be disrespectful to the lads that are involved with the Development squads but who would a 13, 14, 15 or 16 year old lad prefer to listen to, Joe Soap or Paddy Power or Mick Murphy that people may not have heard of outside of their own club, or a player that would have played hurling or football for their county, maybe won senior county final medals, muster final medals and maybe played in an All-Ireland semi final or final. the Joe's Paddy's or Mick's that I mentioned may be very good men, but if they had a former inter county player working along side them as a coach, then it could bring on the players more as they might be inclined to listen more, especially at the under 13 and 14 levels.

Do you really think ex players aren't asked to get involved, just because they played inter county hurling doesn't mean they want to coach, its a big commitment and I would imagine a lot of them particularly the ones who are the of the era that u mention about having Munster medals etc are probably not ready to make that commitment so soon after they stopped playing,

quintain wrote: »
    let's not get into a conversation about bankers but that is exactly my point, the banker knew nothing about the GAA and threw money at them.

They are 1 million in debt and tbh the facilities that they have at the end of it are nothing spectacular, I see plenty of "little" country clubs who have nicer set ups. No disrespect to the people involved in Roanmore who are probably finding themselves on the wrong side of some very unfortunate decision making in the past but it really is some mess.

I have not seen Roanmore's new ground so cant say anything about what it looks like. As for other grounds you are correct. Kilgobinet have a lovely ground, but its miles out of the way to most people. I don't think it cost them all that much. They sold their old field near the Waterford/Master McGrath road to a developer and bought one further up the mountain. They have na lovely set up, a big hall and gym and a stand. I suppose however, it was handy to have members of the club that were well in with a then government minister (not from Munster - so cant be Martin Cullen) who was supposedly able to swing a number of Lotto grants for them.

robopaddy wrote: »
    If he wants to well and good but i think his day is done. The days of felahs like him making a half arsed attempt at getting fit expecting ability and reputation to get him on ahead of the lads bursting their balls are gone. The game has moved on from that and if you dont have the required attitude mentality and fitness your way out of your depth. Its a lot more about the team and squad than individuals nowadays. Kelly is a fantastic hurler no doubt about that and is still plenty young to have something to offer. But I cant see him changing his spots this late in his career.

Plenty young lads chomping at the bit

I tend to agree with you. Eoin was a bit of a passenger in the panel for a few years, all be it he could turn on the style when he wanted. I don't think we can have players that have served the county in the team over the years just for the sake of it. The place has to be earned. I think Jimmy Barry Murphy showed that this year by dropping Donal Óg from the panel. It was possibly a good move as Nash has proven with the past two years (last year while Donal Óg was injured) and again this year that he is there number 1 and I double the Cloyne man would be too happy for a place on the bench.

To be a sub keeper must be a tough act as it is seldom you see a goal keeper changed in a game. At least if you were an outfield player you have a chance of getting on for some few minutes.

deisedude wrote: »
    There is no room for primadonnas in this day. Kelly is still a fantastic club hurler but thats not enough at county level

I would not say he is not good enough. Its just that in the past three or four years he has not has his head right. A great fuss was made when Michael Ryan dropped him for 2012, maybe he was right going on what we have seen from him in the last few years, going on hind sight.

hardybuck wrote: »
    Ballygunner always appeared to be a well run, professional club. I think that probably reflects that a lot of the membership are professionals themselves, and have probably got more experience of financial planning etc. than others.

As far as I'm aware, both the DLS and Roanmore pitches in Cleaboy are owned by the City Council, but the clubs have them on long term leases. DLS move up to Gracedieu and then Roanmore follow them up - they can't be seperated!

I would not say that there are too many clubs in the city at all. I think that a number of the clubs could be working far harder to attract members in. Clubs like Erin's Own have a large catchment area which isn't fully exploited. Ferrybank should be doing far better with the population out there, soccer has the hearts and minds out there probably. Saviours have a good hardcore, they are struggling away by the looks of it, but again there is a large population around them.

A lot of that could be down to the professionalism of the likes of Pat O'Sullivan, Charlie Lapthorne and Jim O'Keeffe, all great hurling men and very professional in what they do/did for the club.

• Advertisement

It's good the city council owns Roanmore's Cleaboy pitch as the banks wont be able to get their hands on it. The 800,000 debt must have mainly come from purchasing the second field. I dont suppose they could sell their allotments out there for 10,000 each on the extra space they had.

Would some of the Ferrybank population with a kilkenny background send their kids to Slieverue or Kilmacow gaa clubs I wonder as their kids would then be considered part of KK. I would expect Ferrybank and especially Erins Own adult clubs to be doing alot better than they are.

Erins own have won the div 2 county minor championship 2 times in the last 5 years and have been in the top 5 of div 2 on the other 3 times. That's why teams like them never reach their potential at adult level because of the divisional championships they are playing in at intermediate level. Thanks Pat Grant and Eddie Cunningham, both themselves from senior clubs, ye really do put the couny first before ye're own self interests on divisional boards. Clubs like Slieverue and Kilmacow dont have that problem which partly explains why they always hammer Ferrybank intermediate team in challenge match's.

Their own man (or should that me ex club man) Tim O'Byrne is also playing a major roll in keeping things as they are. By the way does anyone know is Tim a member of any club in the last few years. There was reports he gave up membership of Erin's Own. I think his sons joined Roanmore. If he is not a member of a club, is not the Eastern Board illegal, as I was of the view to be an officer of a club or a divisional/county board or a sub committee of any of them, you have to be a member of a club.

DeiseX wrote: »
    I shouldn't even bother replying but rumours about Ferrybank management "walking" are 100% untrue. As someone who knows the true story (and both sides of the story), it was mutual...end of!

Every club has their issues. Ferrybank is no different to anyone else... Portlaw had their issues with Growler's team selection for the intermediate final, Erins Own apparently had a split with their intermediate and junior panels (so I heard, but hey, you've mentioned rumours), Mount Sion turfed out Fennelly of Ballyhale a few years ago, Flannery got his marching orders from Dungarvan too...bottom line here is people....things don't always work out...that's life.

5k population perhaps, but a lot of this is owed to the Celtic Tiger housing boom. A lot of these newcomers bring their children to their own home clubs. Its a situation that is similar to what is happening in Tramore. Love to know when Ferrybank got these "hammerings" from Kilmacow...and certainly not from Slieverue!!! Most people of Kilkenny preference would still send their children to Ferrybank. Soccer is still probably the main sport in Ferrybank too. Yes, we should be doing better, but we are moving in the right direction, albeit slowly. Passage showed last week what can be done.

Abbeyside also got rid of Pat Moore (I think) a few years back. It was reported that Joe Deane was brought in as replacement. The story around Parts of Dungarvan and West Waterford is that when Joe Deane found out that Pat Moore was ousted and not left of his own accord, he walked away.

Saint Saviours and Dungarvan are also playing a Junior Attached final on Saturday. 3pm I think.

Do you really think ex players aren't asked to get involved, just because they played inter county hurling doesn't mean they want to coach, its a big commitment and I would imagine a lot of them particularly the ones who are the of the era that u mention about having Munster medals etc are probably not ready to make that commitment so soon after they stopped playing,

I am not saying that they should be doing it for nothing. I did say the ones that are out of work. I am sure that if some of them were serious about bringing in a few extra euro a week, they would jump at the chance.

Saint Saviours and Dungarvan are also playing a Junior Attached final on Saturday. 3pm I think.

Didn't know this game was going on. Who would be fancied for this?

DeiseX wrote: »

Apologies for commenting on incorrect facts. Would it be fair to say that there was blame on both sides?

shoddy14 wrote: »
    Colligan certainties in Junior. I think DLS Ballyduff is very hard to call, DLS would be favourites but Id have a slight fancy for Ballyduff. Stradbally for me in the Senior. Machines of men

I'd be very surprised if Ballyduff won the intermediate. DLS would be very strong favourites there in my estimation.

I think the senior final would be quite evenly matched. Stradbally have the experience, but Ballinacourty have a nice few scoring forwards if they can get their hands on possession.

I wouldn't be so sure about the Junior.

A lot of that could be down to the professionalism of the likes of Pat O'Sullivan, Charlie Lapthorne and Jim O'Keeffe, all great hurling men and very professional in what they do/did for the club.

I didn't think you're man Lapthorne was too professional when he walked onto the field of play in Fraher Field and stopped the semi final replay in 2009 to demand that Mullane be removed from the dugout. Both the County Board and Ballygunner were forced to publicly apologise afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Deise Doodler

I am not saying that they should be doing it for nothing. I did say the ones that are out of work. I am sure that if some of them were serious about bringing in a few extra euro a week, they would jump at the chance.

In ideal world , perhaps. but the truth is county board is well strapped for cash and great players don't automatically make great coaches, often the opposite so even if the cash was there , would you be paying for a name or ability, ,

Think also of the lads who are already putting in the commitment with no remuneration, don't think it would make for a good working relationship,

While I agree with you about the young lads looking up to ex-players it really is up to the players to want to get involved, and I pretty sure the would be welcomed with open arms,

As it is I believe that some do come in and take teams for 1 off sessions now and again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

I didn't think you're man Lapthorne was too professional when he walked onto the field of play in Fraher Field and stopped the semi final replay in 2009 to demand that Mullane be removed from the dugout. Both the County Board and Ballygunner were forced to publicly apologise afterwards.

Yeah that was a joke to be honest, it was after half time as well I'm pretty sure.

• Advertisement

It did not look good, but these things happen in the heat of battle.

In ideal world , perhaps. but the truth is county board is well strapped for cash and great players don't automatically make great coaches, often the opposite so even if the cash was there , would you be paying for a name or ability, ,

Think also of the lads who are already putting in the commitment with no remuneration, don't think it would make for a good working relationship,

While I agree with you about the young lads looking up to ex-players it really is up to the players to want to get involved, and I pretty sure the would be welcomed with open arms,

As it is I believe that some do come in and take teams for 1 off sessions now and again

Would it cost the County Board anything. Do they pay Michelle Power, John Quinn, the Robison lad (cant think of his first name) and Eoin Breathnach's wages. I was of the view that their pay comes from the Munster Council or the Central Council. If ex players were to get involved I am sure the money would come from the same source. I think I did say that if a scheme could be set up that it would be funded by the Munster or Central Council or even the GPA.

As for great players not always making great coaches, I fully agree, and I am always of the opinion that a fellow that played little or no hurling or football could make a very good coach. But you cant say that too loud to some people.

Ouch!! But very true.

The u21 game between Ballygunner and Clann na Gael sounded like it must have been good going by the high scoreline. Are the gunners going for 5 in a row in this grade? Is there anyone out there to stop them this year? DLS? Roanmore or Mt Sion maybe? I'm presuming it will be between Dungarvan and Lismore in the west?. I did hear Patrick Curran has a hand injury so if true he would be a hugh loss to Dungarvan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

The u21 game between Ballygunner and Clann na Gael sounded like it must have been good going by the high scoreline. Are the gunners going for 5 in a row in this grade? Is there anyone out there to stop them this year? DLS? Roanmore or Mt Sion maybe? I'm presuming it will be between Dungarvan and Lismore in the west?. I did hear Patrick Curran has a hand injury so if true he would be a hugh loss to Dungarvan.

who are clan na geal when their at home...?

robopaddy wrote: »
    who are clan na geal when their at home...?

Dunhill, Fenor and Butlerstown

Few scores:

West A u21 Hurling
    Lismore 7-21 Clahsmore 0-9

East A U21 hurling

Mount Sion 1-19 Roanmore 1-15
    Ballygunner 3-20 Dunhill 2-17

West u21 B hurling

Fourmilewater 0-23 Ardmore 0-21

East u21 B hurling
    Passage 3-16 Erins Own 0-16
    Ferrybank 0-16 Clonea 1-10
    Portlaw 5-20 St Marys 3-09

County Intermediate Football Final
    De La Salle 0-14 Ballyduff Upper 0-06

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭jupiterjack

Well done to De La Salle great to see them finally make the break into the ranks of senior football.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

Well done to De La Salle great to see them finally make the break into the ranks of senior football.

About time for them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭seananigans

http://thescore.thejournal.ie/michael-moynihan-gaaconomics-1121928-Oct2013/

Will be buying this at Christmas, think we are in the strech ourselves category?

“I spoke to Paraic Duffy and he broke down county boards into three different categories of about 10 or 11 counties each. You have the wealthy counties like Dublin and Cork who will always have money to spend.
    “Then you’ve small counties who know they won’t generate big money, so they have the common sense not to lose the run of themselves.
    “But then there’s 10/11 counties who are a cause for concern in the middle. They are the ones with aspirations to join the elite and they’re putting themsevles under pressure to do that. It’s about trying to balance ambition with reality.”

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement