Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2013- Mod Warning Post #1

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

mount sion are county junior football champions have beaten colligan 2-9 to 0-9

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Crusty Blaa

robopaddy wrote: »
    mount sion are county junior football champions have beaten colligan 2-9 to 0-9

That's a bit of an upset. Great weekend for Eastern football with DLS, Saviours and Mt Sion all winning their county titles.

I was at the DLS - Ballyduff game and realistically the city team should have won by 15/20 points. Their wide count was well into double figures but in fairness they didn't have to move out of second gear, Ballyduff offered very little and were more worried about stopping DLS playing than playing their own game. It'll be interesting to see how they handle the dual senior status.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭shoddy14

Unbiased commentary from Kieran O'Connor as usual.. Why can't netural commentators be got for these sort of games? Theres enough young talent chomping at the bit within the county, without naming names

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭DeiseX

Few scores:

West A u21 Hurling
    Lismore 7-21 Clahsmore 0-9

East A U21 hurling

Mount Sion 1-19 Roanmore 1-15
    Ballygunner 3-20 Dunhill 2-17

West u21 B hurling

Fourmilewater 0-23 Ardmore 0-21

East u21 B hurling
    Passage 3-16 Erins Own 0-16
    Ferrybank 0-16 Clonea 1-10
    Portlaw 5-20 St Marys 3-09

County Intermediate Football Final
    De La Salle 0-14 Ballyduff Upper 0-06

Ferrybank/Clonea was in the A Championship, as was Passage/Erins Own.

Eastern 'A Semi-final line-ups:
    DLS/Ferrybank v Passage.
    Ballygunner V Mount Sion

hardybuck wrote: »
    Apologies for commenting on incorrect facts. Would it be fair to say that there was blame on both sides?

Yep

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

DeiseX wrote: »
    Ferrybank/Clonea was in the A Championship.

Semi-final is DLS/Ferrybank v Passage.
    Ballygunner V Mount Sion

How did Passage and Ferrybank get moved up to the A this year? Particularly Ferrybank, they lost the East final last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Sami Jenkis

shoddy14 wrote: »
    Colligan certainties in Junior. I think DLS Ballyduff is very hard to call, DLS would be favourites but Id have a slight fancy for Ballyduff. Stradbally for me in the Senior. Machines of men

There's never any certainties in sport my friend :-D

How did Passage and Ferrybank get moved up to the A this year? Particularly Ferrybank, they lost the East final last year.

Ask the Eastern Board!

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Crusty Blaa

Colligan certainties in Junior. I think DLS Ballyduff is very hard to call, DLS would be favourites but Id have a slight fancy for Ballyduff. Stradbally for me in the Senior. Machines of men

Hope you're not a betting man.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭shoddy14

Hope you're not a betting man.

Knew I'd come to regret that haha Just as well Id no money at stake!

• Advertisement

Unbiased commentary from Kieran O'Connor as usual.. Why can't netural commentators be got for these sort of games? Theres enough young talent chomping at the bit within the county, without naming names

Its hard to commentate on a game like that in fairness. Stradbally were atrocius

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Deise Doodler

Black Suir wrote: »
    Would it cost the County Board anything. Do they pay Michelle Power, John Quinn, the Robison lad (cant think of his first name) and Eoin Breathnach's wages. I was of the view that their pay comes from the Munster Council or the Central Council. If ex players were to get involved I am sure the money would come from the same source. I think I did say that if a scheme could be set up that it would be funded by the Munster or Central Council or even the GPA.

As for great players not always making great coaches, I fully agree, and I am always of the opinion that a fellow that played little or no hurling or football could make a very good coach. But you cant say that too loud to some people.

In fairness you did, it was another poster that mentioned how cork were getting ex- players involved , apologies, would be great if the powers that be did get some sort of system in place wouldn't hold my breath though and you still have to sort out the issue of name v ability

Lads can anyone at the game yesterday confirm what the 2 sendings off were for?

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭cleaboy boy

Looks like an announcement is imminent lads.....
    DEREK MCGRATH HAS assembled a star-studded backroom team as he attempts to pip Peter Queally in the race to become Waterford’s new senior hurling team manager.
    Queally remains the favourite to succeed Michael Ryan in the position but it has emerged that Déise hero Dan Shanahan and William Maher, who guided Tipperary to All-Ireland minor glory in 2012, have agreed to come on board with McGrath.
    And if McGrath does get the nod, Frank Flannery, the former Cork IT Fitzgibbon Cup coach who also coached the Cork minors this year, will also assist him.
    Flannery was in charge of CIT when they lost the 2009 Fitzgibbon Cup semi-final and he also led Milford to All-Ireland senior camogie club glory last March.
    According to well-placed Waterford sources, highly rated sport psychologist Caroline Currid will also work with the team next year if McGrath is manager.
    Currid assisted the Tipperary senior hurlers in 2010 when they won the All-Ireland and the Sligo native was also involved in All-Ireland SFC successes with Tyrone and Dublin in recent times.
    The high-calibre nature of McGrath’s set-up could convince the committee that will bring a name forward for ratification this evening that he is the man to take Waterford forward.
    And the news that former attacker Shanahan, a four-time Munster SHC medallist and holder of three All Star awards, is on board will strengthen McGrath’s hand considerably.
    De La Salle’s 2012 county SHC winning manager has also convinced Maher that his next coaching role should be with Waterford.
    Waterford top brass are expected to unveil their new manager tonight and Queally remains in pole position after managing Passage to an historic county SHC success eight days ago.
    A committee made up of county board officials and former teammates James Murray and Stephen Frampton interviewed Queally for the role last Wednesday night.
    It is understood that Queally will enlist the services of Darragh Duggan and Darragh O’Sullivan, brother of current Waterford star Shane, if he is the preferred choice.
    Duggan is the Tipperary native who masterminded back-to-back Harty Cup titles for Coláiste na nDéise (Dungarvan Colleges) in 2012 and 2013.
    Under Duggan’s watch, Dungarvan Colleges were also crowned All-Ireland (Croke Cup) winners this year.
    O’Sullivan, meanwhile, is a Ballygunner stalwart who won a 2001 Munster senior club medal.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭cornerboy

Lads can anyone at the game yesterday confirm what the 2 sendings off were for?

Throwing flakes.......both connected.

cornerboy wrote: »
    Throwing flakes.......both connected.

I heard there was a spitting incident connected to one of the sendings off....

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭glick6

Looks like an announcement is imminent lads.....
    DEREK MCGRATH HAS assembled a star-studded backroom team as he attempts to pip Peter Queally in the race to become Waterford’s new senior hurling team manager.
    Queally remains the favourite to succeed Michael Ryan in the position but it has emerged that Déise hero Dan Shanahan and William Maher, who guided Tipperary to All-Ireland minor glory in 2012, have agreed to come on board with McGrath.
    And if McGrath does get the nod, Frank Flannery, the former Cork IT Fitzgibbon Cup coach who also coached the Cork minors this year, will also assist him.
    Flannery was in charge of CIT when they lost the 2009 Fitzgibbon Cup semi-final and he also led Milford to All-Ireland senior camogie club glory last March.
    According to well-placed Waterford sources, highly rated sport psychologist Caroline Currid will also work with the team next year if McGrath is manager.
    Currid assisted the Tipperary senior hurlers in 2010 when they won the All-Ireland and the Sligo native was also involved in All-Ireland SFC successes with Tyrone and Dublin in recent times.
    The high-calibre nature of McGrath’s set-up could convince the committee that will bring a name forward for ratification this evening that he is the man to take Waterford forward.
    And the news that former attacker Shanahan, a four-time Munster SHC medallist and holder of three All Star awards, is on board will strengthen McGrath’s hand considerably.
    De La Salle’s 2012 county SHC winning manager has also convinced Maher that his next coaching role should be with Waterford.
    Waterford top brass are expected to unveil their new manager tonight and Queally remains in pole position after managing Passage to an historic county SHC success eight days ago.
    A committee made up of county board officials and former teammates James Murray and Stephen Frampton interviewed Queally for the role last Wednesday night.
    It is understood that Queally will enlist the services of Darragh Duggan and Darragh O’Sullivan, brother of current Waterford star Shane, if he is the preferred choice.
    Duggan is the Tipperary native who masterminded back-to-back Harty Cup titles for Coláiste na nDéise (Dungarvan Colleges) in 2012 and 2013.
    Under Duggan’s watch, Dungarvan Colleges were also crowned All-Ireland (Croke Cup) winners this year.
    O’Sullivan, meanwhile, is a Ballygunner stalwart who won a 2001 Munster senior club medal.

Where is that piece from? Hopefully a decision will be made this evening either way. Both set ups would look to have positives and negatives to me.

Would that sports psychologist be the same girl that worked with ballygunner a few years back?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Don't think Dan has the temperment to be involved at this level. But I guess Davy Fitz did win an all-ireland as manager this year. He's hardly worse than him.

Don't think Dan has the temperment to be involved at this level. But I guess Davy Fitz did win an all-ireland as manager this year. He's hardly worse than him.

Ive good time for Dan but I think hes a strange call for selector

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Black Suir

In fairness you did, it was another poster that mentioned how cork were getting ex- players involved , apologies, would be great if the powers that be did get some sort of system in place wouldn't hold my breath though and you still have to sort out the issue of name v ability

If it is Powers that Be within the County, then you could have your breath held for a hell of a long time so don't try and do it. I wonder will there be a game of musical chairs this year within the county board. I read in last weeks Dungarvan Observer that Brendan Tobin has to stand down this year as the Development Officer. I was thinking to myself that he might have a year or two to go, and know someone that said they were interested in that job but they said that Brendan had at least another year to go and would not stand against him. I am not going to dispute what was in print as whoever took over from Tony Mansfield writing the Gaelic Jottings column is knowledgeable when it comes to the GAA. They were saying that Liam Cheasty is also standing down without completing the five years he can as Children's officer. I don't think this is an elected position any longer. I do know someone that was interested in the job when Pat Moore gave up as Youth Officer, but they were told that its the Chairman that picks the person to fill that position from now on and you have to have done some course and be Garda Vetted. I think Bord na nÓg is to be done away with this year at County and Divisional level this year, and the County Chairman has the right to pick a chairman and secretary to run underage activities within the county. I wonder will Tom go on a solo run on this, or will he consult with his fellow county board officers before putting people in place. If someone was to pick people best suited for the job, I think like him or otherwise, Timmy O'Keeffe is better suited to picking the right people as he has his foot and ear most closest to the ground as to what is happening. I am only speculating here but could it be a case that Liam Cheasty is lined up to chair a new underage committee and that one from Trish Walsh junior or Joanne Daly as Secretary, both of whom would be excellent in such a job if interested.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Black Suir

Ive good time for Dan but I think hes a strange call for selector

Ya, would prefer to see Dan work his way up through the teams, gaining experience, maybe starting at under 14 or 16. Good Players, and popular support players do not always make the best people for the job. Fergal is a prime example. There is some that would say that Shiner could also be in the same boat, but I think he did ok with different Waterford teams in the past and is very active with Waterford right now with Camogie.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

Black Suir wrote: »
    Ya, would prefer to see Dan work his way up through the teams, gaining experience, maybe starting at under 14 or 16. Good Players, and popular support players do not always make the best people for the job. Fergal is a prime example. There is some that would say that Shiner could also be in the same boat, but I think he did ok with different Waterford teams in the past and is very active with Waterford right now with Camogie.

Was Dan not involved with underage teams in Lismore for the past few years? I'm almost certain i saw him on the line at the minor final a couple of years ago? Could be wrong of course the head isn't always great on Mondays!

glick6 wrote: »
    Where is that piece from? Hopefully a decision will be made this evening either way. Both set ups would look to have positives and negatives to me.

Would that sports psychologist be the same girl that worked with ballygunner a few years back?

I agree,both set ups have flaws but from a purely management perspective which of the 2 would people choose?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Dan was definitely involved in some way with Lismore minors last year, remember seeing him on the line when they played DLS.

That seems like a decent back room team by DMG, the thought of Willie O'Dwyer being involved is interesting I think he would be an excellent addition. Quelly has a good case aswell though so I wouldn't like the task of choosing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

So we're sure that no further outside candidates have been considered by the selection committee?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

Do we even have a source for that piece posted earlier?

hardybuck wrote: »
    So we're sure that no further outside candidates have been considered by the selection committee?

Its looking pretty much that way. Inspite of what Tom Cunningham said a couple weeks ago the committee are now happy enough that the right man is one of the 2 in the running.

Martin Fogartys name was being mentioned as someone who was being considered but I can only assume that he either wasnt approached in the end or that he declined to put his name forward when he was.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

tonc76 wrote: »
    Do we even have a source for that piece posted earlier?

It's from Jackie Cahill in The Score. There's a truncated version of it in De Paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭cleaboy boy

The source was Jackie Cahill, a "well informed" journalist, Jackie would have plenty of contacts in the Waterford camp.

I'd expect Derek McGrath and his backroom team to be ratified in the coming few days.

• Advertisement

The source was Jackie Cahill, a "well informed" journalist, Jackie would have plenty of contacts in the Waterford camp.

I'd expect Derek McGrath and his backroom team to be ratified in the coming few days.
    Do you know something we don't or it this your personal opinion? I wonder have the players been consulted? One would presume they have?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement