Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2013- Mod Warning Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

I see that news now on Hoganstand.

I don't know Dan so I won't judge him. However, can anyone vouch for his coaching/selection abilities? I wonder is this just a cynical ploy from McGrath in order to bring a popular face from the west of the county into play?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

robopaddy wrote: »
    mount sion are county junior football champions have beaten colligan 2-9 to 0-9

A really big weekend for city football, with all three teams involved winning in Dungarvan.

There would be a few terrific football people in each of those clubs who would have kept the game alive for a long number of years without a huge amount of support. They deserve great credit for doing so. Many posters here from smaller rural clubs may find this situation bizarre, but they will face totally different challenges to urban clubs.

Not only was it a good weekend for the city, but also for whole county. Waterford needs to get more players through onto county teams from these clubs. In the past, without adequate adult teams for underage talent to progress onto a lot of young lads with terrific talent would have fallen by the wayside, and were lost to other sports.

Hopefully Mount Sion can consolidate at intermediate level now, and hopefully push on. DLS and Saviours retaining senior status next year would also be good progress.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

hardybuck wrote: »
    I see that news now on Hoganstand.

I don't know Dan so I won't judge him. However, can anyone vouch for his coaching/selection abilities? I wonder is this just a cynical ploy from McGrath in order to bring a popular face from the west of the county into play?

Good man taking his advice! I certainly wouldnt underestimate Dan based on how he comes across sometimes, he has a wealth of experience and knowledge from playing at the highest level for over a decade and that is definetly worth something. But Id say you mightened be far wrong in your assessment there. I would have thought Dave Bennett would be much more suited to a selector role with Waterford given his experience with the county minors a couple years back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

hardybuck wrote: »
    I don't know Dan so I won't judge him.

You subtle troll Hardy ;)

All I know is he has been involved with Lismore minor and u21 teams over the last few years, was there when they won the Minor two years ago (I think) against DLS.

He does have a bit of a tendency to go hopping about the place if things don't go there way though, examples of which were seen on numerous occasions last year. Not a fan of that, I would prefer a management team that kept their composure. Obviously, sometimes emotions get the better of us all but I don't like when people confront refs after games and try to bully them.

All that said, I have no doubt that if Dan is a selector with Waterford he'll give it his all just like he did everytime he wore the Waterford jersey.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭seananigans

Have you read Dan's book? he's not one for strategic insight.

The whole book is him saying hat games he played and what he scored, sure I knew that, I was at those games.

And as for a skill coach, he can't teach people to do what he did, with the exception of his bro, who he is evidently already working with

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

glick6 wrote: »
    Where is that piece from? Hopefully a decision will be made this evening either way. Both set ups would look to have positives and negatives to me.

Would that sports psychologist be the same girl that worked with ballygunner a few years back?

Currid worked with dublin footballers,tipp hurlers and i think with tyrone in the past.All were successful.

As regards flannery i know he was highley rated with CIT .

I wouldnt judge him with cork minors in that i dont think fitness or skills was the problem,rather more so players played of out of posistion.And pat kenneally was the manager and he is awful as a manager.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Black Suir

cul beag wrote: »
    Was Dan not involved with underage teams in Lismore for the past few years? I'm almost certain i saw him on the line at the minor final a couple of years ago? Could be wrong of course the head isn't always great on Mondays!

NO. He was involved with Saint Carthage's. Ok, I am just trying to wind up there. He was involved in 2011 when they won the county final, beat De La Salle. Big step up from underage club to senior inter county. Could like to see him get involved with a few inter county teams before making the move up to the seniors.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

Black Suir wrote: »
    NO. He was involved with Saint Carthage's. Ok, I am just trying to wind up there. He was involved in 2011 when they won the county final, beat De La Salle. Big step up from underage club to senior inter county. Could like to see him get involved with a few inter county teams before making the move up to the seniors.

Ok point taken;) As someone else posted earlier though there are negatives on both selection teams but i still think of the 2 selection teams on the table Derek McGrath's is a lot stronger.

apparently meeting going on ATM, keep an eye on the twitter feeds ,likely will know within the hour

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭glick6

Currid worked with dublin footballers,tipp hurlers and i think with tyrone in the past.All were successful.

As regards flannery i know he was highley rated with CIT .

I wouldnt judge him with cork minors in that i dont think fitness or skills was the problem,rather more so players played of out of posistion.And pat kenneally was the manager and he is awful as a manager.

Some fairly interesting rumours going round about that girl. Doesn't matter a bit if she could bring an edge to some of these boys attitudes. Having someone in that capacity is a must for next year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Still no word as far as I can see.

same :-(

I heard it's between Derek McGrath and Peter Queally.....:p

• Registered Users Posts: 39,546 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Black smoke emerging from the conclave...

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭The blue blaa

Jim Greene and Joey Carton have been ratified complete shocker altogether johnny brenner and roy mcgrath certainties to be back in the fold #dontstopbelieving

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Black Suir

apparently meeting going on ATM, keep an eye on the twitter feeds ,likely will know within the hour

Nothing can be finalised without first bringing the clubs together. The County Board can say that their preferred choice is Peter or Derek, but if the clubs don't agree, then the preferred choice does not get the job.

Black Suir wrote: »
    Nothing can be finalised without first bringing the clubs together. The County Board can say that their preferred choice is Peter or Derek, but if the clubs don't agree, then the preferred choice does not get the job.

So your basically telling me I'm still awake for nothing?

According to up the Déise, McGrath got the nod.

See twitter lighting up here

https://twitter.com/search?q=derek%20mcgrath&src=typd&f=realtime

borowitz-white-smoke-465.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭alllcounty

I would have much perferred Peter Queally get the job. I hope the county team dont go backwards like DLS did when Derek McGrath took over. I guess I'll have to get behind them now. Not really good news at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭cleaboy boy

Derek McGrath will be ratified and announced some time this evening, around 8 or 9 p.m. I'd imagine.
    Executive of county board pencilled in for a meeting in Dungarvan tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Waterford stars and news

thesultan wrote: »
    Ballygunner were about six points the better team and where dominate because of the brilliance of Wayne Hutchinson. They could have put on a few points at the end but a surreal and wonderful come back by Passage stopped them when they thought the cup was theirs. I stayed on for five minutes after the game in awe of what just happened. Brillant daylight robbery.

Would they play the Youghal Ardmore game in Tallow or Lismore? Bound to draw a huge crowd?

Congrats to both Passage and Ardmore both different games. Passage robbed Ballygunner in my opinion but so exciting, Ardmore blew Dunhill away and should have one by 15 points. They looked well drilled and hurled extremely crisp there coach is Frankie Flannery. Talks he could be involved with the waterford Senior team next year which can only be good. Seamus pender was good shared the ball around well with the younger lads.. I was most impressed with the Ardmore half back he is one of the hennessy's he was awesome scored a ridiculous point against the wind in the second half caught every puck out. Best of luck to both clubs in munster

alllcounty wrote: »
    I would have much perferred Peter Queally get the job. I hope the county team dont go backwards like DLS did when Derek McGrath took over. I guess I'll have to get behind them now. Not really good news at all.

well thats big of you......

I see the moaning has started already, I reckon the Waterford managers job is a bit of a poisoned chalice. No one is good enough for us. First it was Justin, then Davy then Michal Ryan now McGrath is getting it in the neck before hes even been ratified.

Best of luck to McGrath if the committee feel he is the best man for the job Im happy enough with that. They are the ones who have done the research, carried out the interviews etc the rest of us are just surmising.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭cleaboy boy

The Waterford public need to drive on now and support the men in the job, it's a 3 year term and there is plenty of talent to work with.
    All his backroom team have serious pedigree, Frankie Flannery had Ardmore playing a great brand of hurling this year, a seriously under-estimated coach. William Maher was coach of Tipp minors for last number of years, and Dan, well Dan, needs no introduction.
    The very best of luck to all involved, roll on 2014!!

• Registered Users Posts: 19 1club1county

Congrats to both Passage and Ardmore both different games. Passage robbed Ballygunner in my opinion but so exciting, Ardmore blew Dunhill away and should have one by 15 points. They looked well drilled and hurled extremely crisp there coach is Frankie Flannery. Talks he could be involved with the waterford Senior team next year which can only be good. Seamus pender was good shared the ball around well with the younger lads.. I was most impressed with the Ardmore half back he is one of the hennessy's he was awesome scored a ridiculous point against the wind in the second half caught every puck out. Best of luck to both clubs in munster
    Thanks for telling us the wing backs name I didn't see any programmes at the game but what I did see was him catching the ball with his right hand and then having to switch to strike it had he an injury to his left hand or is that his style very unorthodox Seamus put in 1hell of a top performance

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭thegambler2

So now that the regular season is over apart from u21 hurling.
    who is everybodies players of the year?

Senior hurler-
    Senior Footballer-
    Young Hurler-
    Young Footballer-

So now that the regular season is over apart from u21 hurling.
    who is everybodies players of the year?

Senior hurler- Kevin Moran
    Senior Footballer- Gary Hurney
    Young Hurler- Stephen Bennett
    Young Footballer- Paul O'Connor

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭thegambler2

robopaddy wrote: »
    Senior hurler- Kevin Moran
    Senior Footballer- Gary Hurney
    Young Hurler- Stephen Bennett
    Young Footballer- Paul O'Connor

Have to agree with the senior players!
    I think Paddy Curran might be in with a shout for the hurling if they take into account the harty cup season. Aussie Gleeson and Bennett close seconds
    Couple of others for the young footballer, waterford minors Michael Troy and Brian Looby, Troy dominating the junior football, and Looby winning a senior medal!
    Wonder if Paddy Power will take bets ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭OEP

Have to agree with the senior players!
    I think Paddy Curran might be in with a shout for the hurling if they take into account the harty cup season. Aussie Gleeson and Bennett close seconds
    Couple of others for the young footballer, waterford minors Michael Troy and Brian Looby, Troy dominating the junior football, and Looby winning a senior medal!
    Wonder if Paddy Power will take bets ;)

I think Mark Ferncombe could get the Senior Football. Scored a lot for Ballinacourty this year, and Gary Hurney hasn't been as influential as he was in previous years but did have a big final.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement