Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2013- Mod Warning Post #1

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

Have to agree with the senior players!
    I think Paddy Curran might be in with a shout for the hurling if they take into account the harty cup season. Aussie Gleeson and Bennett close seconds
    Couple of others for the young footballer, waterford minors Michael Troy and Brian Looby, Troy dominating the junior football, and Looby winning a senior medal!
    Wonder if Paddy Power will take bets ;)

Depends what they base it on. Curran was outstanding for college and county but not really for his club.

Bennett has been in devastating form for his club the last few weeks he has almost made a mockery of the junior grade! Coupled with his contribution for the co minors and that fact he had a double hip operation at the start of the year hed be my ypoty.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

robopaddy wrote: »
    well thats big of you......

I see the moaning has started already, I reckon the Waterford managers job is a bit of a poisoned chalice. No one is good enough for us. First it was Justin, then Davy then Michal Ryan now McGrath is getting it in the neck before hes even been ratified.

Best of luck to McGrath if the committee feel he is the best man for the job Im happy enough with that. They are the ones who have done the research, carried out the interviews etc the rest of us are just surmising.
    Couldn't agree more. We are some county of knockers at times it's unbelievable. Surely,at least on paper,it looks a serious backroom team and let us give them a chance to see what they can do to progress this team further. If big Dan were to pass on his wealth of knowledge to these young forwards coming through wouldn't he be making a hugh impact? In 2 to 3 years time you could,potentially have a forward line with the likes of Curran,Bennett,Gleeson,Shanahan,Dillon,Barry,Barron to pick from(I have probably left a few out)so ,in the right hands surely it could take some stopping?

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭alllcounty

Now that the management team are in place, what new players should be called up to the county senior panel for 2014.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭mariano rivera

Anyone know who Ballinacourty are playing in the Munster Championship?

I would fancy them against anyone except Dr. Crokes who do look very strong

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭thegambler2

Anyone know who Ballinacourty are playing in the Munster Championship?

I would fancy them against anyone except Dr. Crokes who do look very strong

they are playing drombroadford from limerick with the winners playing Clare champions!
    Castlehaven and the Crokes are in the other quarter final with the winners playing Tipp.
    Favourable draw when you look at it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭seananigans

alllcounty wrote: »
    Now that the management team are in place, what new players should be called up to the county senior panel for 2014.

I think they should bed in the ones we have, with the possible addition of Mullane/kelly, and Tony having not bowed out yet, we might be okay with what we have .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

they are playing drombroadford from limerick with the winners playing Clare champions!
    Castlehaven and the Crokes are in the other quarter final with the winners playing Tipp.
    Favourable draw when you look at it

Club football iin Clare is exceptionally strong in comparison to their county team, infact Kilmurray Ibrickane have been one of the best Munster Club teams of the last ten years, were very unlucky against Dr Crokes last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

There seems to be an assumption that Dan being part of Mcgrath's team strengthens it. I'm not saying it doesn't because I wouldnt know enough about what kind of coaching and selection duties Dan has carried out and to what level but I'm fairly sure he hasn't done much of either yet and therefore I'm wondering if he's been chosen as he's popular with supporters rather than being up to the task? His recent experience as a player is of course useful and he would be someone young players would look up to after such a great career for Waterford. I know Dan and he's a genuinely decent fella and I could never thank him enough for his contribution to some of the most memorable and enjoyable moments on the field I have seen so I don't for a second begrudge him the chance but I'd like to know from those more knowledgable whether he is the right choice?

As for McGrath. Of the names being mentioned who had a genuine chance of getting the job he would have shaded it for me. Having said that, if the county board hadnt the kind of money problems they have I would have preffered many other potential candidates. At the very least I could see him bringing on more of the young talent we have coming through, that was his bread and butter for so long now. I hope we don't see Mullane and Kelly coming back. It's time to get as many of the minors and U-21's into the squad as possible and give them their chance. There is enough experience there in the previous squad to carry them through.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭deisedude

Can't help but feel we blew it big time with that selection. McGrath has taken a team who were All Ireland contenders to also rans in the county

deisedude wrote: »
    Can't help but feel we blew it big time with that selection. McGrath has taken a team who were All Ireland contenders to also rans in the county

Ah would you give over.... How are they 'also rans'? They won the county last year came within a whisker of winning Munster. Fair enough they lost out to Ballygunner in the county quarters this year but you win some you lose some.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

Shane McNulty i would imagine would be another fella that will be looked at. Tadgh De Bourca from Clashmore deserves a look at aswell. Add into this the return of Molumphy and Phillip Mahony and it will make for a serious panel for the coming year. The talent is there,hopefully these are the guys to get the best out of them.

Will be interesting to see will Queally stay on as u21 manager now?

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Crusty Blaa

well thats big of you......

I see the moaning has started already, I reckon the Waterford managers job is a bit of a poisoned chalice. No one is good enough for us. First it was Justin, then Davy then Michal Ryan now McGrath is getting it in the neck before hes even been ratified.

Best of luck to McGrath if the committee feel he is the best man for the job Im happy enough with that. They are the ones who have done the research, carried out the interviews etc the rest of us are just surmising.

Hear, hear!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭deisedude

Ah would you give over.... How are they 'also rans'? They won the county last year came within a whisker of winning Munster. Fair enough they lost out to Ballygunner in the county quarters this year but you win some you lose some.

Say what you want but it undeniable De La Salle have gone backwards under him. I hope he proves me wrong and i'll always back the team but Queally was the better candidate in my eyes

• Registered Users Posts: 39,546 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Best of luck to the new management team. Have to echo the other posters about the importance of getting behind the new team.

Just renewed my season tickets for next year, cant wait for it all to get going again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Would have had a slight preference for Queally too, but think that both are good hurling men with plenty to offer.

And as always, just as it was under Davy and Michael Ryan, the management team deserve the support of everyone and I have no doubt they will have it when the team takes to the field in February.

KevIRL wrote: »
    Best of luck to the new management team. Have to echo the other posters about the importance of getting behind the new team.

Just renewed my season tickets for next year, cant wait for it all to get going again

How much are the season tickets and what do they entitle you too?

KevIRL wrote: »

Y'know every year I try and expect nothing, and every year I fail ,last year, I went to the KK game, expecting nothing, and sure enough 5 minutes to the end , I was thinking of the big one.

I almost got to the end of the season ,but 30 minutes to the end, ther I go again.

I'm not ready to get my heart broken next year...yet it's too early for that.

With regards to slating new management, I take it as a good sign, because it means there's expectation,and expectation breeds success

In saying that,we have to give this guy a chance,queally is still young, and we must all appreciate having two local's om a row ,and even one from the west , could we have been in that position 15 years ago? truly this is a golden age, even when it's supposed to end, we have 3 quiet years,and we didn't fold like teams of old,we are back in the fold (apologies for the rhyme,incidental)

guaranteed AI ticket if we make it ,but only worth it if you can make the majority of the league games

Apologies in advance that this sounds a bit like an advertisement, but they are fantastic value, I've had one since the scheme was launched 4 years ago.

Ticket cost is €85 (was €75 for mine as they an early bird offer for renewals). Included in this is

- Entry to all Waterford's league games (looks like being at least 7 next season)
    - Entry to any other hurling league game, including relegation play off, semi final and final
    - Entry to Waterford's championship opener v Cork
    - Guaranteed tickets to all the remainder of Waterfords championship games and they are always good tickets in the stand.
    - €5 off the price of championship games with exception of provincial and All Ireland finals
    - Guaranteed stand tickets (304/305 lower Hogan) for All Ireland final if Waterford qualify and you have attended 60% or more of Waterford's league and championship games
    - Entry to All Ireland Club finals in Croke Park on St Patricks Day
    - Entry to All Ireland Junior and Intermediate club finals
    - Other bonuses at various stages for example I have free entry into this weekends International rules football and hurling/shinty games

With the ticket you are committed to purchasing tickets for all championship games but you do have one 'opt out' should you wish to use it. The season ticket can be used by others, there is no picture on it and they actually encourage it to be used by others.

As I said, fantastic value, a quick calculation shows it will save me a minimum of €60 next year and quite likely a lot more. Plus there it saves the hassle of looking for championship tickets.

Have to applaud the GAA for having this, and it means that the old excuse of 'I go to all the league and championship games but cant get an All Ireland Final ticket' really cant be used anymore

Cheers Kev, sounds like it's well worth the cash. Xmas present for the father written all over it. Sorry for hounding but any idea how I go about purchasing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Deise Doodler

Black Suir wrote: »
    . They were saying that Liam Cheasty is also standing down without completing the five years he can as Children's officer. I don't think this is an elected position any longer. I think Bord na nÓg is to be done away with this year at County and Divisional level this year, and the County Chairman has the right to pick a chairman and secretary to run underage activities within the county. I wonder will Tom go on a solo run on this, or will he consult with his fellow county board officers before putting people in place. If someone was to pick people best suited for the job, I think like him or otherwise, Timmy O'Keeffe is better suited to picking the right people as he has his foot and ear most closest to the ground as to what is happening. I am only speculating here but could it be a case that Liam Cheasty is lined up to chair a new underage committee and that one from Trish Walsh junior or Joanne Daly as Secretary, both of whom would be excellent in such a job if interested.

Don't think Liam is standing down, more a case of stepping side ways, sideways, Heard Bord Na oq is to change ok, think it a Croke park directive , but like a lot of these changes, I heard it will be as much a name change as anything. Think you could be right about Cheasty being lined up for new chair

Cheers Kev, sounds like it's well worth the cash. Xmas present for the father written all over it. Sorry for hounding but any idea how I go about purchasing?

No probs

http://www.gaa.ie/seasonticket

New sales go out on 4th Nov. There will be high demand for some tickets and there is a limited number per county, but I cant see Waterford ones being very much in demand. Just a note for a present is that afterwards giving it to him you should change the credit card details on the season ticket website so that your Dad and not you is charged for the championship games its easy to do.

Oh one other good feature they have that I forgot to mention earlier is that a season ticket holder can buy a friend a ticket for any championship game and they will sit together

twitter news , davy has the banner for 3 more years

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Horseboxhead

is there a problem with this ?.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

^^^ with what exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

^^^ with what exactly?

Out of this years minors I can see Stephen Bennett and maybe Austin Gleeson being drafted in. But its still a big jump and I dont see the need to bring in anymore of the minors at this stage.

A big challenge for the new management I feel is to pick the right players. There are a lot of good young players coming through but a slight worry Id have is that a lot of them are at the same level and its hard to distinguish at this point who is better than who or who is worthy of a place in the panel ahead of who. There is a danger you could end up like Galway where they have so many players coming through each year but are all pretty much at a similar level that they can never settle on what their best team/panel is and it has ultimately been their downfall.

Just a thought

He's entitled to his 3 years after Clare won the all ireland. What do you think.

Out of this years minors I can see Stephen Bennett and maybe Austin Gleeson being drafted in. But its still a big jump and I dont see the need to bring in anymore of the minors at this stage.
    Just a thought

Yea they are the only 2 from the minors you could call up for 2014, the rest need to develop more. I thought Stephen Roche should have been on the panel last year, I hope he gets a call up aswell with maybe Kieran Power and Hurney from abbeyside that got 10 goals in this years club championship. I'd say that would be it for 2014.

• Advertisement

Yea they are the only 2 from the minors you could call up for 2014, the rest need to develop more. I thought Stephen Roche should have been on the panel last year, I hope he gets a call up aswell with maybe Kieran Power and Hurney from abbeyside that got 10 goals in this years club championship. I'd say that would be it for 2014.

Power would be a decent shout plus a couple other of the Dungarvan Colleges lads of the past couple years like Tadgh Bourke from Clashmore. P.Hurney probably deserves a look after his club form. But hes 27, a good club player but hard to see him improving enough to make it as a county player at this stage of his career.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement