Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2013- Mod Warning Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭carter10

Both Jason Forde and Noel McGrath went straight from Tipp minor team to starting on the seniors the following year. Forde withdrawn because of injury before the Limerick game last year. There wasn't any great debate about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

Maybe if they played to O'Hallorans strengths that day against Tipp by hitting fast low ball into him or into space where he could use his pace instead of hitting high ball down on top of Paul Curran which was bread and butter competing physically with a fella just out of minor. I hope the surgery goes well for the guy today, having played against him I can say he's one of the best forwards in the county, just needs that bit of luck to stay injury free, came on in the western final v ardmore and scored 2 unreal points while being about 40% fit

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭glick6

Says in the indo that a "Conor McCarthy" is going to be Physio. I haven't heard of him, anyone know where he's from?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

glick6 wrote: »
    Says in the indo that a "Conor McCarthy" is going to be Physio. I haven't heard of him, anyone know where he's from?
    He was mcgrath's physio at de la salle, no idea where he's from

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭The blue blaa

I'm almost sure that physio is not a De La Salle man. Is he Willie Mahers man from Tipp I wonder?The only DLS man going with Derek to my knowledge is Mark Cooney. He will be part of the backroom setup as the goalkeeping coach.

Also I hear from a trusty source that the Good old chairman of our beloved County board rang Peter Quelly and informed him he had bad news an good news for him. The bad news was he wasn't the choice of selection panel for the Senior job and the good news he was still the U21 manager.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭shoddy14

I'm almost sure that physio is not a De La Salle man. Is he Willie Mahers man from Tipp I wonder?The only DLS man going with Derek to my knowledge is Mark Cooney. He will be part of the backroom setup as the goalkeeping coach.

Also I hear from a trusty source that the Good old chairman of our beloved County board rang Peter Quelly and informed him he had bad news an good news for him. The bad news was he wasn't the choice of selection panel for the Senior job and the good news he was still the U21 manager.

Good ole Tom ''solo run'' Cunningham at it again

• Registered Users Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭blue note

If he's the same Conor McCarthy physio that I know he's from Tramore. Nice chap.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Davin Stand

Noel McGrath went straight on the Tipperary Senior team from the minors, but Jason Forde was not brought on to the panel until his second year out of minor.

Yea I think there is some confusion. I was told its not the Conor McCarthy from tramore. A different Conor McCarthy. Very confusing indeed.

It would be bizarre if he was from outside the county. Plenty of very good physios around Waterford. Anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

Cunningham had said quite blatantly in a public recently that he wasnt a fan of queally. Quite bizzare considering he was head of the recruitment committee. Didnt read too much into it but reading that made me think again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

Dungarvan getting their house in order early for next year its strongly rumoured Lismore's James O Connor will be taking over as coach. That should be interesting to see how that goes down in his own club!

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭mariano rivera

glick6 wrote: »
    Yea I think there is some confusion. I was told its not the Conor McCarthy from tramore. A different Conor McCarthy. Very confusing indeed.

It would be bizarre if he was from outside the county. Plenty of very good physios around Waterford. Anyway!

Conor McCarthy from Tramore is the Physio with the Irish Boxing Team

hard to see how he could do both

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

robopaddy wrote: »
    Cunningham had said quite blatantly in a public recently that he wasnt a fan of queally. Quite bizzare considering he was head of the recruitment committee. Didnt read too much into it but reading that made me think again

Can you tell me when he said that?

I find it hard to credit him saying that, whatever about his vocal support for Fitzgerald in 2010.

Can you tell me when he said that?

I find it hard to credit him saying that, whatever about his vocal support for Fitzgerald in 2010.

recently. at a meeting. ok i'll rephrase it he was being critical of queallys management style and I dont know if it was only meant for certain ears but it was in a place where he should have been more careful bout what he was saying. Dont want to say anymore about it I would presume he would be extremely fair minded when it comes to interviewing people etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Sami Jenkis

A very strange selection in my opinion!!!

Well there is a problem straight away. That guy is not a chartered Physio. Gaa guidelines insist on chartered physios for county teams. It's not as easy as what worked for a club team working for county too. Some things are best left unchanged.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Local_Chap

Was Mark Cooney selector or manager with the camoige team a few years ago or am I mixing him up with someone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Yeah that's the same Mark Cooney that was involved with the camogie team.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Crusty Blaa

Mark is a very good coach and asset to the dressing room by all accounts but haven't heard of his credentials as a goalkeeping coach.

Anyone going to youghal v ardmore. Very clever youghal bringing it up to pairc ui rinn. Midleton or killeagh would have been well capable of holding it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

Anyone going to youghal v ardmore. Very clever youghal bringing it up to pairc ui rinn. Midleton or killeagh would have been well capable of holding it

I heard yesterday that Middleton was the preffered choice but they refused to have it there.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭skaface

Think it has to do with H&Safety tbh..
    As far as I know, you have to have a proper stand to stage a Munster Club match. Best of luck to Ardmore today!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Best of luck To Ardmore today.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

skaface wrote: »
    Think it has to do with H&Safety tbh..
    As far as I know, you have to have a proper stand to stage a Munster Club match. Best of luck to Ardmore today!

Nah lad, its obviously a devious conspiracy by the Cork lads to **** over the Waterford team.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

Pairc Ui Rinn is a second home to the Youghal lad's so they were entitled to make that call.Truth be told this game could have went either way if it wasn't for the sending off for Ardmore.Youghal dominated the second half particularly in the last 15 minutes and in the end the final result was Youghal 4-13 Ardmore 1-12.Billy Cooper was Youghals best player and a fella with the surname Keating was Ardmore best player.Truth told between this game and the county final we have had elements of luck in our favour but the county final and this derby game were must wins for us and thankfully we won them.A huge improvement will be required from Youghal the next day against the Clare champions though.But it will be a short winter around our way.We have a county title and we have kept the neighbours quiet until Thurles next summer at the very least!However it's hard for teams to cope when they are a man down and when it was 15 v 15 Ardmore were well in the game.

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

• Registered Users Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭deisedude

Waterford teams continue to fall short because short sighted old men on county board won't go to an all county championship at intermediate and junior

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭alllcounty

deisedude wrote: »
    Waterford teams continue to fall short because short sighted old men on county board won't go to an all county championship at intermediate and junior

You are 100% correct there. That is 11 games the Waterford intermediate county champions have played in munster since 2000 and it stands at 9 losses. The policy of keeping the intermediate clubs divided in waterford into a western and eastern championship is NOT working. It never has and it never will. The men who are most fanatic about keeping it as it is are from senior clubs who dont give a toss about their neighbouring clubs who play in a poor divisional championship. Those most vocal about keeping the intermediate championship divided and weak are Eddie Cunningham from Tallow and Pat Grant from Fourmilewater. I bet if their own clubs were intermediate they wouldn't be long in changing their stance on the issue. And where the f*ck is this strategic plan we have been waiting on for the last 3 years. It made recommendations to improve the standard of the junior and intermediate competitions by moving away from divisional structures to all county set ups. Have these pr*ks got their way and stopped the plan from getting released. Even Tom Cunningham, the county chairman said at the last county agm last December it would be released early this year. Get your finger out Tom and show some leadership. Why is our county been held back by such horrible men in waterford is what I would like to know. It's a f*cking disgrace and it is the divisional structures that is the number 1 reason why waterford has won so few all irelands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

alllcounty wrote: »
    You are 100% correct there. That is 11 games the Waterford intermediate county champions have played in munster since 2000 and it stands at 9 losses. The policy of keeping the intermediate clubs divided in waterford into a western and eastern championship is NOT working. It never has and it never will. The men who are most fanatic about keeping it as it is are from senior clubs who dont give a toss about their neighbouring clubs who play in a poor divisional championship. Those most vocal about keeping the intermediate championship divided and weak are Eddie Cunningham from Tallow and Pat Grant from Fourmilewater. I bet if their own clubs were intermediate they wouldn't be long in changing their stance on the issue. And where the f*ck is this strategic plan we have been waiting on for the last 3 years. It made recommendations to improve the standard of the junior and intermediate competitions by moving away from divisional structures to all county set ups. Have these pr*ks got their way and stopped the plan from getting released. Even Tom Cunningham, the county chairman said at the last county agm last December it would be released early this year. Get your finger out Tom and show some leadership. Why is our county been held back by such horrible men in waterford is what I would like to know. It's a f*cking disgrace and it is the divisional structures that is the number 1 reason why waterford has won so few all irelands.

Well at least you keep bringing it up anonymously on an online forum, because if that doesn't get it sorted who knows what would...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

I think Seamus Keating was the fella i was on about earlier.I was very impressed with him today.He plays rugby with Cork Con though and he's played a few underage matches with Munster so it's look like ye could be losing a prospect there similar to the way we lost Darren Sweetnam.

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭deisedude

Well at least you keep bringing it up anonymously on an online forum, because if that doesn't get it sorted who knows what would...

And do you think the current structure is ok?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement