Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2013- Mod Warning Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Horseboxhead

alright getting sick of all this ****e, its a done deal now , if i was to be given the choice 3 years ago i would have picked this group over micheal ryan, all this lack of experience ect, jesus lads just cos your favourite did not get it, thats life , i'm expecting big things from this group cos why not?, we could sit on here and bull ****e all day and depress the head off ourselves over who wanted who?, and queally has a referees course done and derek does not, like it matters , proof of the pudding is in the eating, and then we'll know but its pointless pissing on it, an hour after its done.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭alllcounty

alright getting sick of all this ****e, its a done deal now , if i was to be given the choice 3 years ago i would have picked this group over micheal ryan, all this lack of experience ect, jesus lads just cos your favourite did not get it, thats life , i'm expecting big things from this group cos why not?, we could sit on here and bull ****e all day and depress the head off ourselves over who wanted who?, and queally has a referees course done and derek does not, like it matters , proof of the pudding is in the eating, and then we'll know but its pointless pissing on it, an hour after its done.

Yes its done and a new management are in place. That doesn't mean why we have got to this point cannot be discussed especially if lessons need to be learned in future from all this messing around. What we know is Derek seems to be following Michael Ryan around, first he took over from him at DLS and now the county team. In my eyes I have seen Ryan do a good job at DLS and Derek do a bad job. Ryan also did a good job with the county team finishing in the top 4 of the league during his 2 years and coming within a goal after extra time to miss out narrowly against KK in an exciting game.

Now its Derek's turn, his turn isn't so good based on history and how the fu*k has this lad got the county job. As far as i am concerned it was an inside job from the start, it was the Ballygunner and DLS players that wanted him most. These lads would have been pupils under him in school and would have known Derek would go for the job if they organised a meeting to get a new manager. He is now the manager, I dont think he is any good but he does have a good backroom team. Just hope his panicky decisions on the line dont cost us in the next 3 years when the best underage talent we have ever produced are hitting their peak. So yes you are right in saying the proof of the pudding will be in the eating and we will have to wait for now to see how it goes. As far as I am concerned I am not confident right now and i am not happy with the way events have transpired.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

alllcounty wrote: »
    Yes its done and a new management are in place. That doesn't mean why we have got to this point cannot be discussed especially if lessons need to be learned in future from all this messing around. What we know is Derek seems to be following Michael Ryan around, first he took over from him at DLS and now the county team. In my eyes I have seen Ryan do a good job at DLS and Derek do a bad job. Ryan also did a good job with the county team finishing in the top 4 of the league during his 2 years and coming within a goal after extra time to miss out narrowly against KK in an exciting game.

Now its Derek's turn, his turn isn't so good based on history and how the fu*k has this lad got the county job. As far as i am concerned it was an inside job from the start, it was the Ballygunner and DLS players that wanted him most. These lads would have been pupils under him in school and would have known Derek would go for the job if they organised a meeting to get a new manager. He is now the manager, I dont think he is any good but he does have a good backroom team. Just hope his panicky decisions on the line dont cost us in the next 3 years when the best underage talent we have ever produced are hitting their peak. So yes you are right in saying the proof of the pudding will be in the eating and we will have to wait for now to see how it goes. As far as I am concerned I am not confident right now and i am not happy with the way events have transpired.

You're losing credibility with each one of these posts.

hardybuck wrote: »
    You're losing credibility with each one of these posts.

Your a former club player with DLS, that statement changes nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

And what if I echoed Hardybuck's statement?

• Advertisement

Are you sure? Where are you from yourself?

Are you sure? Where are you from yourself?

Yes I am sure, and it doesn't matter what club I am from. That is all I will say on the matter, next time I talk about him will be after a few games in the league and we'll take it from there. End of.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

Headline on next weeks Munster Express

SIMMERING INTERNET DISCONTENT LEAD TO OUSTING OF WATERFORD HURLING MANAGER BEFORE HE TAKES CHARGE OF FIRST TRAINING SESSION

Deskjockey wrote: »
    Headline on next weeks Munster Express

SIMMERING INTERNET DISCONTENT LEAD TO OUSTING OF WATERFORD HURLING MANAGER BEFORE HE TAKES CHARGE OF FIRST TRAINING SESSION

Hey - that's only an East Waterford newspaper pal!

Yes I am sure, and it doesn't matter what club I am from. That is all I will say on the matter, next time I talk about him will be after a few games in the league and we'll take it from there. End of.

Ok - double standards? My credibility is called into question due to where you think I'm from, but the same doesn't apply to you? Which maybe is fair enough as your posts on this topic are certainly doing more than enough in that regard.

I look forward to having a good laugh at your rantings on this topic again around next March.

• Advertisement

I don't get why we all just can't accept that Michael Ryan did a good job in difficult circumstances but ultimately now for whatever reasons is no longer the manager and make peace with that.

It's a bad sign of the ridiculous pettyness in the County that some of the people that fought the good fight in defending Michael Ryan are no giving Derek McGrath the raw deal that Ryan received off others. Surely they should see moreso than anyone why we should be supporting Derek McGrath instead of trying to be negative about him from every angle? I have no doubt in my mind you'll see Michael Ryan at Waterford matches supporting the team and hoping they achieve every success possible. If he can do that, then how can selective others not?

At the same time, we could do without any jibes at Ryan in the future like I've seen a few examples of in peoples retorts to people criticizing Ryan. Respect for doing a job that really isn't as popular as people seem to think (and not as an attractive prospect, certainly two years ago, as we in Waterford seem to think) and moving on is what we should all be doing.

Winning a County isn't easy by any means, Derek McGrath has achieved that and they were unlucky against Thurles that Paudi Nevin was sent off. I think he's probably getting a lot of unfair criticism since DLS lost this year. De La Salle have never won back to back County titles, despite the talented teams they've had since 2008. That in itself should be a testament to the difficult job he had to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭The blue blaa

Michael Ryan left DLS in 2011 after the defeat in semi final of club all ireland. Ray Murphy took charge then for a year and then Derek took over from Ray in 2012 so he's not exactly following Michael there. Also the injuries DLS had this year an take into account the lads who emigrated since Michael Ryan was boss its easy see why they were different teams and why tou may feel Derek didnt do as good a job.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

Hey - that's only an East Waterford newspaper pal!

Hey we'll put it in the Dungarvan Observer/ Cork Examiner for balance :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭lovelypoint

robopaddy wrote: »
    Cunningham had said quite blatantly in a public recently that he wasnt a fan of queally. Quite bizzare considering he was head of the recruitment committee. Didnt read too much into it but reading that made me think again

Gumption, wherewithal, or simply an ability not to put your foot in your mouth, are all qualities I would not associate with our beloved chairman. You might make allowances if he was some sort of genius behind the scenes, but you can't even give him that..

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭lovelypoint

KevIRL wrote: »
    Has improved a lot LP. You can login and book the friends ticket online now. They send notification when it must be done by over email and then you have a few days to sort it out and get online to book.

That does sound a bit better, if they've solved a lot of the old admin issues with the scheme I might reconsider it again in the future as it was always a great scheme on paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭thesaturdayman

you are a clueless buck ape lad. ryan was only kept in dls year they got to all ireland final to save his own bacon, club committee met to give him the bullet after they were trimmed by bg in group stage, derek took over the helm more or less then. there are also a lot more clubs in the east bar bg and dls. There seems to be a lot of sour grapes down wesht over this, the fact is the best man in the county with best plan and backroom team got the job, the players didnt appoint him the county executive did with a decision from all sorts ex players, secretary the whole lot and ratified by the co. chairman a west man. it is a decision for the betterment of waterford hurling so just save your breath to cool your pies and get behind derek and all the panel, he is top class and time will prove this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Motivator

you are a clueless buck ape lad. ryan was only kept in dls year they got to all ireland final to save his own bacon, club committee met to give him the bullet after they were trimmed by bg in group stage, derek took over the helm more or less then. there are also a lot more clubs in the east bar bg and dls. There seems to be a lot of sour grapes down wesht over this, the fact is the best man in the county with best plan and backroom team got the job, the players didnt appoint him the county executive did with a decision from all sorts ex players, secretary the whole lot and ratified by the co. chairman a west man. it is a decision for the betterment of waterford hurling so just save your breath to cool your pies and get behind derek and all the panel, he is top class and time will prove this.

Yeah I can't wait to see 27 back room staff on the line at Waterford games next year, I'd say McGrath has gone out & ordered brand new earpieces for himself & Dan. McGrath is an actor, a quieter version of Davy Fitz.

So anyone know how DLS are gearing up for Sunday? Have they an interest in it or not?

Think Ballinacourty are going to win anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

I think whoever picked the player of the year nominations were after a few pints picking the minor hurling nominations, well on their way picking the minor football nominations, were on last call picking the senior football nominations and ended up getting the taxi driver to select the senior hurling nominations!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭seananigans

how are you two related?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭thegambler2

Deise_2012 wrote: »
    I think whoever picked the player of the year nominations were after a few pints picking the minor hurling nominations, well on their way picking the minor football nominations, were on last call picking the senior football nominations and ended up getting the taxi driver to select the senior hurling nominations!!

I have to agree with the young hurler nominees, but there are serious uproar that Brian Looby wasn't nominated for young footballer, this is a lad who captained his school to all Ireland this year, no.6 on county minor team and won a west u21 and most importantly a senior medal? Compare that to the other nominees?
    For the adult awards, surely the judging panel were joking? Paul whyte is definetly one of the best footballers in Waterford, but since he was missing for the summer how can he get a nominee? Unless it was based on his intercounty games and if so, how on earth could Kevin Moran not be nominated?
    My 3 for the hurling would be
    1.Moran
    2.Noel Conners
    3.Pairic Mahoney

Was anyone else watchin Kevin Moran before the Kilkenny game? He looked all year that he'd lost half a yard of pace.

I don't think any of the defenders, no matter what they did, would have been considered after the mistake he made against Clare.

Can't see what the issues are with young hurler of the year, maybe I'd have had Micheal Harney or Shane Bennett in there but Bennett is there again next year and in fairness you couldn't really argue with the other three.

They obviously had difficulty picking the football award. It was one Stradbally, one Ballinacourty and an other. Whyte certainly has the same claim as Kevin Moran anyway, I heard he was unbelieveable against Galway.

Even though I think Seamus faded badly in the County hurling, I wouldn't be disappointed to see his contribution recognized. The only one else I might have included would be Stephen O'Keeffe. Think they did a fair enough job anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

Brian Looby not even nominated was a joke in fairness, all the teams he represented in 2013 and was particularly successful with most of them, I don't understand it really. How Paudie Mahony was not nominated for the senior hurler either baffles me, he was one of the best performers for ballygunner on each occasion since their dungarvan game in the group fixtures with SOK not far behind. Fair enough Seamus done well in the county final and scored the winner in the western final, but Jamie Nagle getting nominated for CLUB player of the year. Had a fantastic year with the county and I was delighted to finally see him getting the praise he deserves, but since they didn't make it out of the group stages, how can a player get nominated for player of the year?

Deise_2012 wrote: »
    Brian Looby not even nominated was a joke in fairness, all the teams he represented in 2013 and was particularly successful with most of them, I don't understand it really. How Paudie Mahony was not nominated for the senior hurler either baffles me, he was one of the best performers for ballygunner on each occasion since their dungarvan game in the group fixtures with SOK not far behind. Fair enough Seamus done well in the county final and scored the winner in the western final, but Jamie Nagle getting nominated for CLUB player of the year. Had a fantastic year with the county and I was delighted to finally see him getting the praise he deserves, but since they didn't make it out of the group stages, how can a player get nominated for player of the year?

Where does it specify that the awards are club based and not County based? They're the waterford gaa awards, and all I see is 'Waterford GAA adult hurler/footballer of the year'.

Sounds like Looby maybe does deserve to be there, but then I guess at the same time Tom Devine, Paul O'Connor and Conor Gleeson can all build cases for all the successful teams they've been involved with this year.

Paul Whyte was gone away for his club so some might take from him there, but Mahony missed basically all the Inter-County hurling because when he was there he wasn't fit. Killian Fitzgerald is a bit of a surprise though he did some to play quite well for Passage. They might have had Noel Connors in there instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭thegambler2

Where does it specify that the awards are club based and not County based? They're the waterford gaa awards, and all I see is 'Waterford GAA adult hurler/footballer of the year'.

Sounds like Looby maybe does deserve to be there, but then I guess at the same time Tom Devine, Paul O'Connor and Conor Gleeson can all build cases for all the successful teams they've been involved with this year.

Paul Whyte was gone away for his club so some might take from him there, but Mahony missed basically all the Inter-County hurling because when he was there he wasn't fit. Killian Fitzgerald is a bit of a surprise though he did some to play quite well for Passage. They might have had Noel Connors in there instead.

Noel Conners would have been away and unable to collect the award, and knowing the county board that's probably why he wasn't nominated

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭thesaturdayman

Motivator wrote: »
    Yeah I can't wait to see 27 back room staff on the line at Waterford games next year, I'd say McGrath has gone out & ordered brand new earpieces for himself & Dan. McGrath is an actor, a quieter version of Davy Fitz.

Davy fitz didn't do a bad job in the end did he? With either waterford or Clare?! Proof is in the pudding if Derek spends €10 million and WE win an all ireland then its money well spent.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭deisedude

Davy fitz didn't do a bad job in the end did he? With either waterford or Clare?! Proof is in the pudding if Derek spends €10 million and WE win an all ireland then its money well spent.

No, that kind of thinking has fcuked this country

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Motivator

You said it all, IF Derek wins an all ireland. He can win Munster for the next 3 years but this will only be seen to be a success IF Waterford win the big one. We have no excuses now, all the talk surrounding him he's under pressure regardless of what anyone says. The excuse of this being a transition period for the county is rubbish. He has the tools, now it's up to Derek to put the machine together & drive it up the steps of the hogan next September.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭quintain

Was anyone else watchin Kevin Moran before the Kilkenny game? He looked all year that he'd lost half a yard of pace.

I don't think any of the defenders, no matter what they did, would have been considered after the mistake he made against Clare.

I don't know enough to get into the debate about who should be nominated but I would like to offer some balance against your judgement on Moran, lots of players make mistakes, there was a hell of a lot more to his season than that.

IMO his performance (amongst others) in the last few minutes of the league game against Cork in Fraher field was incredible, when he helped drive Waterford against the sleet and snow back into the match to grab a draw. A result which helped secure our Div 1 status and consigned Cork to Division 2 (before the re-design of the league structure)

• Advertisement

quintain wrote: »
    I don't know enough to get into the debate about who should be nominated but I would like to offer some balance against your judgement on Moran, lots of players make mistakes, there was a hell of a lot more to his season than that.

IMO his performance (amongst others) in the last few minutes of the league game against Cork in Fraher field was incredible, when he helped drive Waterford against the sleet and snow back into the match to grab a draw. A result which helped secure our Div 1 status and consigned Cork to Division 2 (before the re-design of the league structure)

Didn't see that game, but his point against Tipp was also vital and amazing. Similar to the one against Kilkenny. On balance of play though, as I saw the other 4 league games and the championship games exluding Offaly and Westmeath ( I missed far more games than I would have liked this year) he played below his high standards. I don't think he was one of the three best players in Waterford this year, even though he was quite possibly the one who produced the most amount of individual moements of brilliance.

He is a top class player though and firmly believe he will improve next year.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement