Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2013- Mod Warning Post #1

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

Motivator wrote: »
    You said it all, IF Derek wins an all ireland. He can win Munster for the next 3 years but this will only be seen to be a success IF Waterford win the big one. We have no excuses now, all the talk surrounding him he's under pressure regardless of what anyone says. The excuse of this being a transition period for the county is rubbish. He has the tools, now it's up to Derek to put the machine together & drive it up the steps of the hogan next September.

Reality check. We are very much in transition. 1 to 9 we are fine but we lack scoring and ball winning forwards. 'Derek' can 'drive the machine' up the Hogan Steps' all he wants but there will be no Liam McCarthy waiting for us, not next year or probably the year after either. He needs at least three years if he is to get us to the dizzy heights of where the people like yourselves are demanding we should be.

I dont agree about pressure or McGrath, I actually think its an ideal situation for him to be coming into. I think all the pressure is on the players to perform after the whole Michael Ryan saga and they'll be chomping at the bit next year to prove that they are better than what they were last year, which is effectively what they were saying by getting rid of skully.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,546 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Ballinacourty leading 2-3 to 0-5 latest in their munster game

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭thesaturdayman

dls up at ht 3.1 to 1.2 jake dillion with two goals, tom kearney sent off so they down to 14 for second half

KevIRL wrote: »
    Ballinacourty leading 2-3 to 0-5 latest in their munster game

2-5 to 0-9 now

2-5 to 0-9 now

1 point game now. 2-5 to 0-10

• Advertisement

1 point game now. 2-5 to 0-10

2-7 to 0-10 dying minutes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Courty win.

Big comeback from Ballyporeen means extra time in that game.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭culbaire

you are a clueless buck ape lad. ryan was only kept in dls year they got to all ireland final to save his own bacon, club committee met to give him the bullet after they were trimmed by bg in group stage, derek took over the helm more or less then. there are also a lot more clubs in the east bar bg and dls. There seems to be a lot of sour grapes down wesht over this, the fact is the best man in the county with best plan and backroom team got the job, the players didnt appoint him the county executive did with a decision from all sorts ex players, secretary the whole lot and ratified by the co. chairman a west man. it is a decision for the betterment of waterford hurling so just save your breath to cool your pies and get behind derek and all the panel, he is top class and time will prove this.
    One of the biggest problems in Waterford hurling down through the years was that the EESHT (sic) controlled the selection of hurling teams. There was a widespread view in the EESHT that nobody from the West was good enough to get on the county senior team. Some people could not see beyond the city boundaries.

DLS 4-6 Ballyporeen 2-10 latest

DLS 4-6 Ballyporeen 2-10 latest

4-6 to 2-12 AET

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Motivator

robopaddy wrote: »
    Reality check. We are very much in transition. 1 to 9 we are fine but we lack scoring and ball winning forwards. 'Derek' can 'drive the machine' up the Hogan Steps' all he wants but there will be no Liam McCarthy waiting for us, not next year or probably the year after either. He needs at least three years if he is to get us to the dizzy heights of where the people like yourselves are demanding we should be.

I dont agree about pressure or McGrath, I actually think its an ideal situation for him to be coming into. I think all the pressure is on the players to perform after the whole Michael Ryan saga and they'll be chomping at the bit next year to prove that they are better than what they were last year, which is effectively what they were saying by getting rid of skully.

If the county team is in transition then hy get rid of Michael Ryan?

The players must think they can win an all Ireland in the next year or two because to improve on this year they'll need to go & win an all Ireland. I don't see your point really. If McGrath keeps the team in the league & gets the team to a an all Ireland semi final then how is that any sort of progress?

And yes, Derek McGrath is under pressure from the start. He is the "messiah" after all.

Motivator wrote: »
    If the county team is in transition then hy get rid of Michael Ryan?

The players must think they can win an all Ireland in the next year or two because to improve on this year they'll need to go & win an all Ireland. I don't see your point really. If McGrath keeps the team in the league & gets the team to a an all Ireland semi final then how is that any sort of progress?

And yes, Derek McGrath is under pressure from the start. He is the "messiah" after all.

If we were to stay in division one and get to an All Ireland semi final next year that would be massive progress.

Compared to where we were the last 2 years anyway. Of course I will want to see progress from this year but the general landscape has changed in the past year and there are now 7 or 8 counties who will feel they have a genuine chance of landing the big one, and we havent had that since probably the early naughties or even earlier. We need to be realistic. Its not just about trying to put the final pieces of the jigsaw together to beat KK and Tipp anymore. You have Clare, Dublin, Limerick now who will all see themselves as being on a par or even above us. You have Cork and Galway aswell.

Of course the players beleive they can go and win an All Ireland and why wouldnt they. But we do not have the quality of forwards we had 4/5/6/7 years ago so to say that we should be driving on to win an AI now is a bit deluded. We do have some good young forwards coming through but its hard to see them stepping up to the required level for another couple of years yet at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Crusty Blaa

4-6 to 2-12 AET

That was a great game today from what I heard. Were you at it Kev?

Well done to Ballinacourty too!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Motivator

robopaddy wrote: »
    If we were to stay in division one and get to an All Ireland semi final next year that would be massive progress.

Compared to where we were the last 2 years anyway. Of course I will want to see progress from this year but the general landscape has changed in the past year and there are now 7 or 8 counties who will feel they have a genuine chance of landing the big one, and we havent had that since probably the early naughties or even earlier. We need to be realistic. Its not just about trying to put the final pieces of the jigsaw together to beat KK and Tipp anymore. You have Clare, Dublin, Limerick now who will all see themselves as being on a par or even above us. You have Cork and Galway aswell.

Of course the players beleive they can go and win an All Ireland and why wouldnt they. But we do not have the quality of forwards we had 4/5/6/7 years ago so to say that we should be driving on to win an AI now is a bit deluded. We do have some good young forwards coming through but its hard to see them stepping up to the required level for another couple of years yet at least.

Massive progress? Michael Ryan kept us in division 1 & we should have progressed into the semis of the league, we were also a puck away from beating the best team of the last 50 years this summer. The way fellas go on you'd swear we were relegated from the league & hammered out the gate in championship. I fail to see why Derek McGrath has the job if people don't think Waterford can win an all Ireland.

The only way Waterford can progress "massively" is if we win an all Ireland & that's a fact.

That was a great game today from what I heard. Were you at it Kev?

Well done to Ballinacourty too!

Nope, bad headcold meant I was locked up in front of the TV/internetz for the weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭doublejj

ryan whatever we all think did a decent job...i think one more year would have been justified...but it is what it is we must get on with it..as for east west thing i have to admit underage we always saw west as inferior why i have no idea,it was just the way it seemed and prob vice versa.all county junior and intermadiate championships i believe would be great for waterford hurling

doublejj wrote: »
    ryan whatever we all think did a decent job...i think one more year would have been justified...but it is what it is we must get on with it..as for east west thing i have to admit underage we always saw west as inferior why i have no idea,it was just the way it seemed and prob vice versa.all county junior and intermadiate championships i believe would be great for waterford hurling

Here here. If he had gotten that extra year whether we would actually have moved onto greater things following 'nearly beating kilkenny' or whether it would all have gone belly up we'll never know.

As for the all-county that seems to be the general consensus among all clear thinking gaa people JJ. Unfortunately many of the co and western board delegates that actually make these calls are motivated by self interest and only wanting what benefits their own clubs, rather than the common good of GAA in the county

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Sami Jenkis

Great game of hurling in Walsh Park yesterday in the Eastern U21 semi final. Mount Sion survived a late comeback from Ballygunner to win by 4 points. They had been 15 points up with 10 minutes remaining, but 4 goals in the space of 6 minutes meant an exciting finish.
    Pauric Mahony started brilliantly for the Gunners scoring a range of points from play, but an Austin Gleeson Goal from a free 5 minutes from the break swung the tide Mount Sions way. Gleeson was again superb and must have scored at least 1-8. Stephen Roche was also great for Mount Sion with 5 or 6 points from play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Great game of hurling in Walsh Park yesterday in the Eastern U21 semi final. Mount Sion survived a late comeback from Ballygunner to win by 4 points. They had been 15 points up with 10 minutes remaining, but 4 goals in the space of 6 minutes meant an exciting finish.
    Pauric Mahony started brilliantly for the Gunners scoring a range of points from play, but an Austin Gleeson Goal from a free 5 minutes from the break swung the tide Mount Sions way. Gleeson was again superb and must have scored at least 1-8. Stephen Roche was also great for Mount Sion with 5 or 6 points from play.

Wow big result! First time the Gunners have been beaten in 5 years at u21?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

Where does it specify that the awards are club based and not County based? They're the waterford gaa awards, and all I see is 'Waterford GAA adult hurler/footballer of the year'.

Sounds like Looby maybe does deserve to be there, but then I guess at the same time Tom Devine, Paul O'Connor and Conor Gleeson can all build cases for all the successful teams they've been involved with this year.

Paul Whyte was gone away for his club so some might take from him there, but Mahony missed basically all the Inter-County hurling because when he was there he wasn't fit. Killian Fitzgerald is a bit of a surprise though he did some to play quite well for Passage. They might have had Noel Connors in there instead.
    I thought it was supposed to be judged on club games no?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

Wow big result! First time the Gunners have been beaten in 5 years at u21?
    Maybe a shock alright with Ballygunner being beaten but its not a bad Mt Sion team.They are beginning to bring through some talent again from their underage ranks. But the result opens up the Championship for definite. Would i be right in thinking the eastern final is between DLS and Mt.Sion and the Western final between Dungarvan and St. Carthages? If that's the case they are 2 decent games in store. Hard to pick an eventual winner from those 4 teams,you could make a case for any of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭IanVW

Anyone know is the passage v na piarsiagh match on tg4 sunday?

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Hslaw

IanVW wrote: »
    Anyone know is the passage v na piarsiagh match on tg4 sunday?

As for as i know it is. it was advertised after GAA beo last night
    but i don't know if its live or differed

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭tus.maith

Deferred coverage of Passage v na Piarsaigh on Sunday.

Live game is Castlebar Mitchells v Corofin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭dzilla

They should have the stick ball on live... bloody deferred coverage

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

dzilla wrote: »
    They should have the stick ball on live... bloody deferred coverage

Why would they have the minority sport on first!?

hardybuck wrote: »
    Why would they have the minority sport on first!?
    Last Sunday 18,000 people attended the Cork Senior hurling final which was ignored by TG4. How many people were at the football/bogball game shown by TG 4?

TG4's coverage of club hurling has been v poor this season, almost every week hurling has been relegated to the deferred game

TG4's coverage of club hurling has been v poor this season, almost every week hurling has been relegated to the deferred game
    Agree wholeheartedly.

• Advertisement

culbaire wrote: »
    Last Sunday 18,000 people attended the Cork Senior hurling final which was ignored by TG4. How many people were at the football/bogball game shown by TG 4?

would there have been 18,000 at the game had it been on live TV?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement