Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2013- Mod Warning Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Sami Jenkis

cul beag wrote: »
    Maybe a shock alright with Ballygunner being beaten but its not a bad Mt Sion team.They are beginning to bring through some talent again from their underage ranks. But the result opens up the Championship for definite. Would i be right in thinking the eastern final is between DLS and Mt.Sion and the Western final between Dungarvan and St. Carthages? If that's the case they are 2 decent games in store. Hard to pick an eventual winner from those 4 teams,you could make a case for any of them.

I could be wrong in saying, but I think De La Salle are playing Passage i the other Eastern Semi Final. This was a massive result for Mount Sion given that this Ballygunner team beat them by 15 odd points in the Minor 3 years ago. I think DLS would be the favourites to come out of the East. Don't know a whole lot about Passage, and Mount Sion, while certain players are vastly improved, might rely on Gleeson and Roche a slight bit too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭seananigans

culbaire wrote: »
    Last Sunday 18,000 people attended the Cork Senior hurling final which was ignored by TG4. How many people were at the football/bogball game shown by TG 4?

I saw on twitter a figure that more were at that than at the LOI final in the aviva

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

KevIRL wrote: »
    TG4's coverage of club hurling has been v poor this season, almost every week hurling has been relegated to the deferred game

This has the potential to be one of the weakest and lowest profile club hurling championships we've seen in years. While it's great to get a few new kids on the block, the lack of well established, top quality county champions in many counties will have an impact this year. Kilkenny and Tipp champions out already, and Cork have a new team dominated by one player who wouldn't be the main forward in Cork even. In Munster, you'd have to rate Na Piarsaigh as favourites due to the fact that they have some experience of this competition.

Contrast that to the football this year, where apart from there being far more games and normally a bigger viewership, there are a few genuinely class teams, Crossmaglen and Dr. Crokes in particular, and a few big rivalries thrown in there on top of that.

These things ebb and flow. I would just rate this as a mediocre year as far as the club hurling championships go.

culbaire wrote: »
    Last Sunday 18,000 people attended the Cork Senior hurling final which was ignored by TG4. How many people were at the football/bogball game shown by TG 4?

Apparently that's quite a poor attendance for a Cork county final. If it was televised the attendance would probably have been halved. A lot of people would hold onto the €15 entry plus expenses if they could.

I think the Dublin football county final are expecting to get 10-11k people into Parnell Park on a Wednesday night - which is a full house.

I saw on twitter a figure that more were at that than at the LOI final in the aviva

17,573 attended the LOI final, which was a live televised game involving one set of supporters travelling from Sligo and another from Drogheda. Not really comparable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

Have to say posters calling Gaelic football and hurling "bogball", "stickfighting" "stickball" really annoys me ( which is probably why people use these terms, just to be on the wind up)

Like its one thing to have stupid Hot Press journalists using phrases like this, but having long established posters using them on a GAA forum grinds my gears.

Over and out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

hardybuck wrote: »
    This has the potential to be one of the weakest and lowest profile club hurling championships we've seen in years. While it's great to get a few new kids on the block, the lack of well established, top quality county champions in many counties will have an impact this year. Kilkenny and Tipp champions out already, and Cork have a new team dominated by one player who wouldn't be the main forward in Cork even. In Munster, you'd have to rate Na Piarsaigh as favourites due to the fact that they have some experience of this competition.

Contrast that to the football this year, where apart from there being far more games and normally a bigger viewership, there are a few genuinely class teams, Crossmaglen and Dr. Crokes in particular, and a few big rivalries thrown in there on top of that.

These things ebb and flow. I would just rate this as a mediocre year as far as the club hurling championships go.

Middleton have the 4th most Cork County titles (more than Sars, and the most of any team outside the City). I don't see how the emergence of new teams makes it less exciting, is that not what the argument for this being the best inter county hurling championship we've seen since the 1990's is based on?

Conor Lehane is also one of the best young hurlers in the Country. Thought he started to come into his own from the Dublin game to the all-ireland finals. His performance on Sunday was as good an advertisement as you will see for the game of hurling. Their full forward line consisted of himself, Luke O Farrell and Bud Hartnett. Their is no better club full forward line in the Country than that.

Between the 4 teams that will be in the Munster semi finals, there will be at least 5 Munster titles (6 if Sixmilebridge are included as they have 3, while Newmarket and Middleton have 2 each with Na Piarsaigh having the other one).

I think the Munster Club is easily as competitive as it always is, which can be clearly seen from na Piarsaigh almost being knocked out by Loughmore who were down to 13 by the end of the game.

It's always a lottery as to who will come out of Leinster so again it's pretty entertaining.

I was actually going to make the same point as Kev until I saw he'd already made it. It's a joke that every single week hurling is either not shown or is the deferred game. What kind of promotion for the game is that? Is it any wonder that football is a more popular sport? By the way, we're not talking about an astronomical difference in terms of the quantity of viewers for each and particularly with club hurling where it's relative to how many people live in the County.

As for the Club football, hardly anything special. Crossmaglen are apparently missing a lot this year, and as such drew at the weekend. Crokes are expected to walk Munster, though they don't seem to have been that convincing against Castlehaven. Even if they did walk it, why would that make it more compelling? Why would someone want to watch their County finals against Dingle and Austin Stacks in the last two years over the Cork hurling final which was a really competitive and entertaining game by many accounts?

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭tus.maith

Just under 11,000 attended the Cork County Final, not 18,000.

Cork Board did not want game broadcast live.

Middleton have the 4th most Cork County titles (more than Sars, and the most of any team outside the City). I don't see how the emergence of new teams makes it less exciting, is that not what the argument for this being the best inter county hurling championship we've seen since the 1990's is based on?

Conor Lehane is also one of the best young hurlers in the Country. Thought he started to come into his own from the Dublin game to the all-ireland finals. His performance on Sunday was as good an advertisement as you will see for the game of hurling. Their full forward line consisted of himself, Luke O Farrell and Bud Hartnett. Their is no better club full forward line in the Country than that.

Between the 4 teams that will be in the Munster semi finals, there will be at least 5 Munster titles (6 if Sixmilebridge are included as they have 3, while Newmarket and Middleton have 2 each with Na Piarsaigh having the other one).

I think the Munster Club is easily as competitive as it always is, which can be clearly seen from na Piarsaigh almost being knocked out by Loughmore who were down to 13 by the end of the game.

It's always a lottery as to who will come out of Leinster so again it's pretty entertaining.

I was actually going to make the same point as Kev until I saw he'd already made it. It's a joke that every single week hurling is either not shown or is the deferred game. What kind of promotion for the game is that? Is it any wonder that football is a more popular sport? By the way, we're not talking about an astronomical difference in terms of the quantity of viewers for each and particularly with club hurling where it's relative to how many people live in the County.

As for the Club football, hardly anything special. Crossmaglen are apparently missing a lot this year, and as such drew at the weekend. Crokes are expected to walk Munster, though they don't seem to have been that convincing against Castlehaven. Even if they did walk it, why would that make it more compelling? Why would someone want to watch their County finals against Dingle and Austin Stacks in the last two years over the Cork hurling final which was a really competitive and entertaining game by many accounts?

Midleton haven't won a title since 1991. That's a new team. Clubs their first year out don't tend to have the same level of experience or determination to win a provincial/All Ireland than established teams. Teams winning their first title in a while will often go mad celebrating and the provincial will be a complete afterthought. Those who have picked up a few counties will immediately be looking ahead to the provincial. It's a very different competition to intercounty. That to me suggests that there will be a softer Munster and Leinster won this year. Would that Kilcormac team who won Leinster last year be anywhere near Ballyhale 3-5 years ago, I think not.

Galway would be an exception to that rule, but they don't have to play any games between the county final and the All Ireland series the following Feb.

Luke O'Farrell didn't score in either of the All Ireland finals. Lehane in fairness chipped in with two scores in each game, but him in a Midleton team is a long way off the quality of the O'Connors with Newtown a few years ago, Canning with Portumna or Shefflin with Ballyhale a few years back. He's a bit to go yet before he'll be near their level.

In the football, all the provinces apart from Munster will be competitive - Crokes are on a different level there, but there will be great competition for the All Ireland. Crossmaglen are missing Jamie Clarke, but they are still the best club side of all time. Leinster will be good - Portlaoise will be very strong, as will whoever wins the Dublin replay tonight. There are more good games in there than the handful of hurling games you could show.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Midleton haven't won a title since 1991. That's a new team. Clubs their first year out don't tend to have the same level of experience or determination to win a provincial/All Ireland than established teams. Teams winning their first title in a while will often go mad celebrating and the provincial will be a complete afterthought. Those who have picked up a few counties will immediately be looking ahead to the provincial. It's a very different competition to intercounty. That to me suggests that there will be a softer Munster and Leinster won this year. Would that Kilcormac team who won Leinster last year be anywhere near Ballyhale 3-5 years ago, I think not.

Galway would be an exception to that rule, but they don't have to play any games between the county final and the All Ireland series the following Feb.

Luke O'Farrell didn't score in either of the All Ireland finals. Lehane in fairness chipped in with two scores in each game, but him in a Midleton team is a long way off the quality of the O'Connors with Newtown a few years ago, Canning with Portumna or Shefflin with Ballyhale a few years back. He's a bit to go yet before he'll be near their level.

I think you are underestimating Kilcormac and over estimating Ballyhale, lest not forget that the KK champions have now been beaten three years running by Oulart and that infact this year a team only out of Intermediate ranks are Senior Champions.

Galway like in many other grades get to pick and choose when they need a provincial championship, not for the good of hurling or anything just for self preservation :rolleyes:

Lehane's performance on Sunday was on a par with anything that the O'Connor's, Canning's or Sheflin even produced for their club, it was simply breathtaking.

• Advertisement

In the football, all the provinces apart from Munster will be competitive - Crokes are on a different level there, but there will be great competition for the All Ireland. Crossmaglen are missing Jamie Clarke, but they are still the best club side of all time. Leinster will be good - Portlaoise will be very strong, as will whoever wins the Dublin replay tonight. There are more good games in there than the handful of hurling games you could show.

Well it's funny you should belittle Kilcormac given they beat Thurles (a team of supposed stars) who in turn beat DLS last year, who I have no doubt you would consider to be a strong, experienced team (probably favourites) if they were in Munster this year.

I agree that club and county are very different things, but a lad like Luke O'Farrell could well be keen to prove himself having disappointed by and large in the inter-county championship. You should also except that all of Shefflin's best performances I have seen, have been in County colours. I'm not convinced that some of the inter-county lads (not accusing Shefflin of this) are as motivated or train as hard for club hurling as they do inter-county.

Take Clarenbridge for example, they beat DLS in the best club game I have ever seen without a single County player on their team. Conor Lehane would have been a star on that team.

I know that Portlaoise are a good club football team (5 Laois titles in a row I believe) but at the same time I could easily undermine them with the whole inter-county stars thing you did because I'm damn sure they don't have a Bernard Brogan, Gooch or Daragh O Se in their midst. But when you consider these players in isolation, think about the fact that Brick Walsh's hurling team didn't even make the West Waterford Intermediate Championship final.

There are more good games than the handful of hurling games...is that an excuse not to show hurling live at all??

Also we've only begun the provincial championships, it's been county championships so far. I'm not for a second trying to argue hurling should have it as exclusive as football has it now with the coverage (just like it did in the league) but there should at least be a balance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Black Suir

Apparently that's quite a poor attendance for a Cork county final. If it was televised the attendance would probably have been halved. A lot of people would hold onto the €15 entry plus expenses if they could.

I think the Dublin football county final are expecting to get 10-11k people into Parnell Park on a Wednesday night - which is a full house.

Standing to be corrected, I think the entry fee on Sunday was €20 and they closed the covered stand well before the start of the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Black Suir

Deskjockey wrote: »
    Have to say posters calling Gaelic football and hurling "bogball", "stickfighting" "stickball" really annoys me ( which is probably why people use these terms, just to be on the wind up)

Like its one thing to have stupid Hot Press journalists using phrases like this, but having long established posters using them on a GAA forum grinds my gears.

Over and out.

Soccer fans called the game Football is a bigger wind up I think. Its bloody SOCCER lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭wingbacknr5

There are more good games than the handful of hurling games...is that an excuse not to show hurling live at all??

Also we've only begun the provincial championships, it's been county championships so far. I'm not for a second trying to argue hurling should have it as exclusive as football has it now with the coverage (just like it did in the league) but there should at least be a balance.

I think TG4 have a mandate to prioritize areas with a Gealtacht, and most of the counties with a Gealtacht are football strongholds as opposed to hurling. Cork, Kerry, Galway, Mayo, Donegal etc, although in fairness both Cork and Galway would be strong dual counties.

I think TG4 have a mandate to prioritize areas with a Gealtacht, and most of the counties with a Gealtacht are football strongholds as opposed to hurling. Cork, Kerry, Galway, Mayo, Donegal etc, although in fairness both Cork and Galway would be strong dual counties.

What about An Rinn i gContae Port Láirge? Where Nemeton is in fact based.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

Yea another traditional football area

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭wingbacknr5

Fair point but I guess you would have to direct that question to the sports editor in TG4.

Fair point but I guess you would have to direct that question to the sports editor in TG4.

To be honest there probably is legitimate reasons in some cases, such as the suggestion the Cork County board didn't want it shown live. Possible the Waterford county board didn't want it shown at all.

But the argument I was making was purely in relation to the fact I don't think football as a rule should get this kind of preferance over the hurling based on what Hardybuck is saying.

And the league coverage of the hurling was pretty shocking, particularly on RTE.

Well it's funny you should belittle Kilcormac given they beat Thurles (a team of supposed stars) who in turn beat DLS last year, who I have no doubt you would consider to be a strong, experienced team (probably favourites) if they were in Munster this year.

I agree that club and county are very different things, but a lad like Luke O'Farrell could well be keen to prove himself having disappointed by and large in the inter-county championship. You should also except that all of Shefflin's best performances I have seen, have been in County colours. I'm not convinced that some of the inter-county lads (not accusing Shefflin of this) are as motivated or train as hard for club hurling as they do inter-county.

Take Clarenbridge for example, they beat DLS in the best club game I have ever seen without a single County player on their team. Conor Lehane would have been a star on that team.

I know that Portlaoise are a good club football team (5 Laois titles in a row I believe) but at the same time I could easily undermine them with the whole inter-county stars thing you did because I'm damn sure they don't have a Bernard Brogan, Gooch or Daragh O Se in their midst. But when you consider these players in isolation, think about the fact that Brick Walsh's hurling team didn't even make the West Waterford Intermediate Championship final.

You're picking me up wrong. I was saying that Midleton team was dominated by one player who wasn't as class as some of the names I mentioned.

In terms of strength in depth, if you looked at Ballyhale in their peak, they had Shefflin, Cha Fitz, Fennelly, TJ Reid etc. Show me another team of that quality this year. Portumna had the two Cannings, Damian Hayes, Chunky Hayes, Andy Smith - who were either good county players or not far off it.

Thurles are notorious bottlers, hence why they can go missing in situations like the Kilcormac game. DLS weren't great on the day, had a player sent off and were on the wrong end of some very poor refereeing decisions. Plus as a lot of people have highlighted, they've had a couple of flat years with McGrath. I thought 2013 was weak as well - how often will an Antrim team win any form of All Ireland? It's a good and a bad thing. Put that Ballyhale or Portumna team into this year's Championship and they'd win it comfortably.

Portlaoise are going backwards over time, but still have players like McCormack, Beano McDonald, Cahir Healy, Fitzgerald and Zach Tuohy who all have a good level of intercounty experience.

Bernard Brogan you've mentioned there - his team, which also has his brother Alan and another brother on the Dublin panel, were knocked out of the Dublin SFC in the first round. The strength in depth of the Dublin teams is massive, and whoever wins that replay tonight will be favourites for Leinster.

I think you are underestimating Kilcormac and over estimating Ballyhale, lest not forget that the KK champions have now been beaten three years running by Oulart and that infact this year a team only out of Intermediate ranks are Senior Champions.

Galway like in many other grades get to pick and choose when they need a provincial championship, not for the good of hurling or anything just for self preservation :rolleyes:

Lehane's performance on Sunday was on a par with anything that the O'Connor's, Canning's or Sheflin even produced for their club, it was simply breathtaking.

Again, Oulart have been around a while - that definitely impacts a team's success in the provincial championships. KK teams being beaten is probably in line with their underage dropping off slightly, and the senior team potentially entering a fallow period (hopefully).

I don't want to take away from Lehane's performance, but I don't think Midleton are a top side.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

You're picking me up wrong. I was saying that Midleton team was dominated by one player who wasn't as class as some of the names I mentioned.

In terms of strength in depth, if you looked at Ballyhale in their peak, they had Shefflin, Cha Fitz, Fennelly, TJ Reid etc. Show me another team of that quality this year. Portumna had the two Cannings, Damian Hayes, Chunky Hayes, Andy Smith - who were either good county players or not far off it.

Thurles are notorious bottlers, hence why they can go missing in situations like the Kilcormac game. DLS weren't great on the day, had a player sent off and were on the wrong end of some very poor refereeing decisions. Plus as a lot of people have highlighted, they've had a couple of flat years with McGrath. I thought 2013 was weak as well - how often will an Antrim team win any form of All Ireland? It's a good and a bad thing. Put that Ballyhale or Portumna team into this year's Championship and they'd win it comfortably.

Portlaoise are going backwards over time, but still have players like McCormack, Beano McDonald, Cahir Healy, Fitzgerald and Zach Tuohy who all have a good level of intercounty experience.

Bernard Brogan you've mentioned there - his team, which also has his brother Alan and another brother on the Dublin panel, were knocked out of the Dublin SFC in the first round. The strength in depth of the Dublin teams is massive, and whoever wins that replay tonight will be favourites for Leinster.

I know what youre saying that there is no real dominant club at the moment like a Portumna, a Ballyhale, a Newtownshandrum or a Birr if you cast your mind back to before that. But that dosent necessarily mean the standard has dropped at club level. Teams like that only come around once every generation and there have often been club sides like Thurles as you have mentioned or Oulart at the moment who would be well up with those in terms of quality at their disposal but seem to be lacking that bit of x-factor when it comes to going on and winning the big one.

As for Midleton well did you see Lehanes performance on Sunday? It was as good as ive ever seen from Shefflin or Canning at club level.

robopaddy wrote: »
    As for Midleton well did you see Lehanes performance on Sunday? It was as good as ive ever seen from Shefflin or Canning at club level.

Again - Lehane was unreal and that isn't in question. Him scoring 2-12 out of 2-13 really isn't sustainable though, and I think it'll be too easy for teams to stop Midleton if they shackle him. Look what Portumna did to DLS in 2008 when they marked Mullane out of it, and had powerhouses of their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭blue note

No all star for Waterford. Is that the first time since 2001 we haven't had one? No complaints btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

Munster minor and u21 hurling and football and mcgrath cup draws tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭IanVW

Brian Flannery tweeted, @BrianJAFlannery: Congrats to Austin Gleeson and Stephen Bennett on their call up to Waterford Senior hurling panel, "if you're good enough you're old enough"

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭alllcounty

IanVW wrote: »
    Brian Flannery tweeted, @BrianJAFlannery: Congrats to Austin Gleeson and Stephen Bennett on their call up to Waterford Senior hurling panel, "if you're good enough you're old enough"

Well deserved, both are the strongest from the minor team and both are good enough. Stephen Roche and Kieran Power also need to get a call up. It would be worth asking Seamus Keating if he is interested even though he might be commited to the rugby over the winter and maybe Patrick Hurney would make a difference next year aswell. Then thats it I would say.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,546 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

alllcounty wrote: »
    Well deserved, both are the strongest from the minor team and both are good enough. Stephen Roche and Kieran Power also need to get a call up. It would be worth asking Seamus Keating if he is interested even though he might be commited to the rugby over the winter and maybe Patrick Hurney would make a difference next year aswell. Then thats it I would say.

What about Patrick Curran?

What about Patrick Curran?

What about him. He is still minor next year and will take at least 3 more years before he develops physically to be ready for senior intercounty. Very good player maybe the next Paul Flynn but a long way off yet for a call up.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,546 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

alllcounty wrote: »
    What about him. He is still minor next year and will take at least 3 more years before he develops physically to be ready for senior intercounty. Very good player maybe the next Paul Flynn but a long way off yet for a call up.

Didnt realise he was still minor next year, would completely agree so. No one eligible for minor should be playing senior imo.

You know you'd come across a lot less confrontational and condescending if you'd made that post without the first 3 words in it

• Advertisement

You know you'd come across a lot less confrontational and condescending if you'd made that post without the first 3 words in it

I'll try tone it down a bit. Previous posts I made didn't go down too well on here so I was preparing myself for the inevitable backlash which didn't happen this time. My bad.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement