Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2013- Mod Warning Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Sami Jenkis

alllcounty wrote: »
    Well deserved, both are the strongest from the minor team and both are good enough. Stephen Roche and Kieran Power also need to get a call up. It would be worth asking Seamus Keating if he is interested even though he might be commited to the rugby over the winter and maybe Patrick Hurney would make a difference next year aswell. Then thats it I would say.

Stephen Roche has also received a call up.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭IanVW

Stephen Roche has also received a call up.

Is there a list of the full panel?

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

I see Waterford v Clare in the Munster Championship has been fixed for Limerick. Balls.

They might as well have fixed it for Ennis. Have we ever won a game down in F'ing Limerick. Nice city but hate going to matches down there!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Cake Man

What about Donie Breathnach, or is he already part of the seniors? Well deserved for Bennett and Ozzie, give Paddy Curran another 2 years and he'll be ready.

Some balls fixing that Clare game for limerick alright, we're cursed up in that place.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

Ye got cork at home in u21 hurling semi in munster next year.

Minor draw 21st november.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,546 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Deskjockey wrote: »
    I see Waterford v Clare in the Munster Championship has been fixed for Limerick. Balls.

They might as well have fixed it for Ennis. Have we ever won a game down in F'ing Limerick. Nice city but hate going to matches down there!!

Aren't we playing Cork though? Waterford v cork in limerick would be odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

Donie was already apart of the senior but never made the final 25, great hurler has serious ability, hope him and Brian O'Halloran can stay injury free next season would be two good options. I'd like to see Stephen Roche gets a call up to the seniors too, out of age for the u21s next year and is always one of the top performers for his club. Seamus Keating, Tadhg Bourke, Colin Dunford, Kieran Power should stay u21 for another year and get a run for the intermediates maybe, they'l all be hurling freshers too so plenty of hurling to be played. The u21s could have a very strong year with a number of the minors coming through and the likes of Jake Dillon, Ray Barry and Gavin O' Brien availible too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

blue note wrote: »
    No all star for Waterford. Is that the first time since 2001 we haven't had one? No complaints btw.

2005. the year we lost to cork in an AI quarter, brian corcorans flukey little flick

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

robopaddy wrote: »
    2005. the year we lost to cork in an AI quarter, brian corcorans flukey little flick
    That was pure genuis,that drop shot,very few players could even think of such a shot,never mind have the timing,artistry ,courage or execution to pull it off,in such a high pressure match,at a vital time in the game.

Nothing flukey,that was well and truly created.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

Deise_2012 wrote: »
    Donie was already apart of the senior but never made the final 25

Donie was No. 24 for the game against Kilkenny. They should have brought him on for extra time. Kilkenny would not have been expecting him and he could have upset them a bit.

If Austin Gleeson and Stephen Bennett can get a call up, so too should Tadhg Bourke, one of the most gifted young players I have seen for a long time. I would also call up DJ Foran - big, strong, great in the air (a priceless quality) and provided great leadership in the games against Cork and Kilkenny in the minor championship.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

Giveitfong wrote: »
    Donie was No. 24 for the game against Kilkenny. They should have brought him on for extra time. Kilkenny would not have been expecting him and he could have upset them a bit.

If Austin Gleeson and Stephen Bennett can get a call up, so too should Tadhg Bourke, one of the most gifted young players I have seen for a long time. I would also call up DJ Foran - big, strong, great in the air (a priceless quality) and provided great leadership in the games against Cork and Kilkenny in the minor championship.
    I know Tadhg and DJ are top class but both are only out of school and I think another year with the u21s and playing with the intermediates would do no harm for both, they'l be invited to train with the seniors anyway. I think the only reason Austin Gleeson and Steve Bennett are getting called up is because Waterford were lacking forwards last year, I can see Gleeson getting tried out in the half forward line where he plays for Mount Sion and Bennett is all about goals in the full forward line. DJ is a great ball winner, something which we lack and with Seamus Pren close to retirement, Foran and Cormac Curran are two very promising players to have in the future.

KevIRL wrote: »
    Aren't we playing Cork though? Waterford v cork in limerick would be odd.

Sorry had read this on twitter lazily.
    So yes we are playing v Cork in first round ( venue still tbc according to Munster GAA site) however depending on who wins that, the venues have been decided upon, us v Clare would be in Limerick, while Cork v Clare would be in Thurles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

Deskjockey wrote: »
    Sorry had read this on twitter lazily.
    So yes we are playing v Cork in first round ( venue still tbc according to Munster GAA site) however depending on who wins that, the venues have been decided upon, us v Clare would be in Limerick, while Cork v Clare would be in Thurles.

This has to be the moment when Waterford break the logjam. Should we beat Cork, go to Clare and say we'll play the game in Ennis. In return, they play the next Munster championship fixture against us in Kilkenny. It won't happen, but at least it would highlight the farce of playing games in 40,000+ capacity grounds when there are less than half that at the games and perfectly serviceable venues much closer to home.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

deiseach wrote: »
    This has to be the moment when Waterford break the logjam. Should we beat Cork, go to Clare and say we'll play the game in Ennis. In return, they play the next Munster championship fixture against us in Kilkenny. It won't happen, but at least it would highlight the farce of playing games in 40,000+ capacity grounds when there are less than half that at the games and perfectly serviceable venues much closer to home.

That will be Clare's first game in the championship as All Ireland Champions. I can see them bringing a huge crowd wherever that game is played.

hardybuck wrote: »
    That will be Clare's first game in the championship as All Ireland Champions. I can see them bringing a huge crowd wherever that game is played.

So starting their defence in Cusack Park would have no appeal to them?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

So starting their defence in Cusack Park would have no appeal to them?

It wouldn't have a sufficent capacity for a start.

It wouldn't have a sufficent capacity for a start.

Yeah they could probably fill it one and a half times full of Clare people before any fans from Waterford got tickets.

If that's the only criterion, then the match should be played in Thurles. Heck, why not play it in Croke Park while we're at it?

If that's the only criterion, then the match should be played in Thurles. Heck, why not play it in Croke Park while we're at it?

If you have nothing sensible to say, perhaps you should say nothing at all ;)

And for the record Gaelic Grounds holds 50k, Thurles 53k and Cusack Park 15k.

If you have nothing sensible to say, perhaps you should say nothing at all ;)

As predictable as night following day.

• Advertisement

Yeah they could probably fill it one and a half times full of Clare people before any fans from Waterford got tickets.

I'm not certain they'd get 20,000+ at the game. They could only manage 11,000 or so at Thurles for the All-Ireland Under-21 final. But thinking about it further, a) they probably wouldn't take a chance on people missing out - there are 20,000+ in every county who claim to go to every game the moment tickets become scarce, and b) why spurn what is practically a home game for our benefit? Oh well :(

As predictable as night following day.

Well sorry but you stating that a first round Munster Championship game should be played in Croke Park didnt deserve much better, I note you conveniently ignored the second part of my post??

I'm not certain they'd get 20,000+ at the game. They could only manage 11,000 or so at Thurles for the All-Ireland Under-21 final. But thinking about it further, a) they probably wouldn't take a chance on people missing out - there are 20,000+ in every county who claim to go to every game the moment tickets become scarce, and b) why spurn what is practically a home game for our benefit? Oh well :(

Cusack Park has a capacity of just under 15,000? The U21 competition consistently draws smaller crowds than senior championship, as does a Saturday fixture compared to Sunday games. It was in Thurles rather than Ennis. The opposition were Antrim, who didn't send more than a couple of hundred fans down to witness their slaughter...

If Waterford beat Cork, surely we'll send at least 10,000 to witness a semi final against the All Ireland Champions after beating last year's finalists in our first game?

Similarly, I'd expect Clare to send 15-20k to the not to distant Limerick to see their team play in the championship as All Ireland Champions.

All a load of fuss over nothing. If Nowlan Park is underused, then the Gaelic Grounds is criminally underused.

Cusack Park has a capacity of just under 15,000? The U21 competition consistently draws smaller crowds than senior championship, as does a Saturday fixture compared to Sunday games. It was in Thurles rather than Ennis. The opposition were Antrim, who didn't send more than a couple of hundred fans down to witness their slaughter...

I think the numbers who go to an Under-21 final are pretty representative of the hardcore supporter. There were far more Clare fans at the Under-21 final than there were at their first Senior outing in 2013 against us.
    If Waterford beat Cork, surely we'll send at least 10,000 to witness a semi final against the All Ireland Champions after beating last year's finalists in our first game?

You think? I'd be dubious. People stayed away in droves in 2008 at the same venue. There'll be an element of stubbornness about the stupid nature of the venue again. And would 'Clare as All-Ireland champions' be that big a draw? They'll still be All-Ireland champions even if we win!
    Similarly, I'd expect Clare to send 15-20k to the not to distant Limerick to see their team play in the championship as All Ireland Champions.

I think, on reflection, you're right about this. Even 15k would be a worthwhile turnout. There's not much in what I suggested for Clare.
    All a load of fuss over nothing. If Nowlan Park is underused, then the Gaelic Grounds is criminally underused.

I'm not bothered about the underusing of either venue. I'd like to get away from staging 15,000 capacity games in 50,000 capacity venues. I'm afraid this is the wrong game to choose for the reason you outline, but is it so wrong for demand to outstrip supply? The hoopla surrounding the Kilkenny-Tipperary in Nowlan Park this year was tremendous. Let's have a bit more of that and a bit less of crowds vanishing into cavernous arenas. This is especially important if we're going to insist on televising so many games.

I think the numbers who go to an Under-21 final are pretty representative of the hardcore supporter. There were far more Clare fans at the Under-21 final than there were at their first Senior outing in 2013 against us.

You think? I'd be dubious. People stayed away in droves in 2008 at the same venue. There'll be an element of stubbornness about the stupid nature of the venue again. And would 'Clare as All-Ireland champions' be that big a draw? They'll still be All-Ireland champions even if we win!

I think, on reflection, you're right about this. Even 15k would be a worthwhile turnout. There's not much in what I suggested for Clare.

I'm not bothered about the underusing of either venue. I'd like to get away from staging 15,000 capacity games in 50,000 capacity venues. I'm afraid this is the wrong game to choose for the reason you outline, but is it so wrong for demand to outstrip supply? The hoopla surrounding the Kilkenny-Tipperary in Nowlan Park this year was tremendous. Let's have a bit more of that and a bit less of crowds vanishing into cavernous arenas. This is especially important if we're going to insist on televising so many games.

I think that on another year, I might agree with you. I agree with your general sentiment as well. I think the fact that Clare are champions has changed matters, and if we beat Cork people will naturally be confident and travel.

I would also hate to be dragged to an away game in Ennis to face the prospect of playing another away game, albeit not as far away, in Kilkenny.

I think that if we ever moved towards a Champions League style format of home and away games in a group of 4 or something, the smaller venues would be far more appropriate. At least teams might be on an equal footing.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Liberty Way

Pat Flanagan has notified the Waterford County Board that he has withdrawn from training the senior hurlers. Apparently he felt he could not work with the incoming manager. Pat is a top guy and he will be a big loss.

Does this mean that Jimmy Payne will not be involved either as they both are now involved in a new company called Peak Fitness.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭alllcounty

Not a good development, Pat is highly regarded in Kerry where he helped develop the players fitness and physicality after the all ireland final in 2005 when they came back as champions the following year having been stronger and fitter than ever before. This could be the first sign of what is to come. I fear the players could be in for a reality check next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Motivator

Not a good development, Pat is highly regarded in Kerry where he helped develop the players fitness and physicality after the all ireland final in 2005 when they came back as champions the following year having been stronger and fitter than ever before. This could be the first sign of what is to come. I fear the players could be in for a reality check next year.

Oh but that can't happen, Derek is the messiah after all....I have a feeling that every excuse possible will be wheeled out if the county doesn't do as well as expected next year. In my opinion, if Derek doesn't win Munster & reach an All Ireland final then the year is a failure. He has the players, it's up to him to instill that extra bit of belief that I think they lacked during the summer. Apparently the county is in "transition" which baffles me as I think Michael Ryan should have been given an extra year. We are in transition after all - Apparently.

This could be the first sign of what is to come. I fear the players could be in for a reality check next year.

THE SKY IS GOING TO FALL IN!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,546 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Motivator wrote: »
    Oh but that can't happen, Derek is the messiah after all....I have a feeling that every excuse possible will be wheeled out if the county doesn't do as well as expected next year. In my opinion, if Derek doesn't win Munster & reach an All Ireland final then the year is a failure. He has the players, it's up to him to instill that extra bit of belief that I think they lacked during the summer. Apparently the county is in "transition" which baffles me as I think Michael Ryan should have been given an extra year. We are in transition after all - Apparently.

So he has to at least match what one manager has done once in the last 50 years or else the year is failure.

Glad to see you have reasonable expectations.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement