Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2013- Mod Warning Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭carter10

carter10 wrote: »
    I like the white shorts! Dont like this new design, would prefer to go back to a minimalist design like the jersey we had in the 80s. Dungarvan school wore one in the all ireland final this year, looked good. All white with 3 stripes on the shoulder and a small crest.
    On a small point- when did black become part of our colours?

Trivia: until the 1940s we wore all blue with a white trim,
    noelcrowley270607.jpg
    This is the one. I must have imagined the 3 stripes or maybe that was an earlier version

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭dzilla

Its a nice jersey, alot of other folks from other counties have said the same on a similiar thread, I hope their leisure range is good as I don't tend to buy jerseys. Anyone buy any of these Nike/Canturbury waterford things?? http://www.thegaastore.com/en/Waterford/psg-36.aspx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

Not sure, lot more blue in the jersey.

Hopefully they will, the white shorts are shocking.

Its a lovely jersey. Azzuri would want to up their game. the god awful clobber weve been sending our county teams out to play in the past 2 years was dyer. More like cheap training gear than anything else

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭alllcounty

A waterford lad was 1 of 9 nominated for goal of the season. May aswell log on and give support, be sure to click 'i' and click underneath 'vote for this goal' if ye want.

http://www.tg4.ie/hurling-i.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

As clubs are now winding down for the year and planning for 2013, has anyone given any thought as to how the introduction of the new Black Card system will impact upon our games?

Unusually, this is being conducted without any trial period, and at all levels of adult football - intercounty and at club level. One can presume that it'll be seen in hurling sooner or later also.

Basically this means that cynical behaviour, i.e. aggressively remonstrating with an official, pulling down an opponent, deliberately tripping an opponent, body checking after the ball is played, or use of threatening, abusive or provocative language to an opponent will see the player sent off and replaced by a substitute. Once a team has three black cards, they can't add another substitute.

While you couldn't disagree with a lot of the above in theory, the proof of the pudding will be in the eating. Personally, I'd be very worried about how this will be rolled out. Abusive language to an opponent - I'd be pretty cheesed off to get sent off for that after 5 mins! Referees have a tough job differentiating between appears to be a defender pulling down a forward, and the forward actually dragging the back's arm down as he's falling etc.

Smaller clubs will be very heavily impacted by this ruling. A lot of clubs are experiencing the effects of emigration. Many of them are struggling to field teams anyway, this will place real pressure upon them. Bigger clubs have a new added advantage due to their larger panels and greater strength in depth.

Referees, who are already embattled, will face into an equally difficult period as this takes effect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

PTH2009 wrote: »
    cool thats the first time i saw that. my xmas list will be the new jersey, this dvd and the 2013 year book
    Got this in an email from Club Deise today:
    Hi There,

We are delighted to let you know that we are expecting delivery of the DVD of the Minor All Ireland Final win, tomorrow Wednesday and would like to invite you to join us for the launch the following night Thursday the 21st of November at The Local Bar Dungarvan at 6.30pm.

This is a beautifully packaged DVD and a wonderful keepsake of a magnificent win with some great unseen footage.

Hope to see you there:)

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭quintain

carter10 wrote: »
    I like the white shorts! Dont like this new design, would prefer to go back to a minimalist design like the jersey we had in the 80s. Dungarvan school wore one in the all ireland final this year, looked good. All white with 3 stripes on the shoulder and a small crest.
    On a small point- when did black become part of our colours?

Trivia: until the 1940s we wore all blue with a white trim,

On this website ... http://www.prideinthejersey.com/waterford.html ... the following suggestion is made (I never heard it before) ...

2002 Upon Justin McCarthy's instalment as Waterford manager, he informed the county board that blue shorts would be worn by the county as an all-white kit sent out a sign of weakness. Clearly no fan of Real Madrid

quintain wrote: »
    2002 Upon Justin McCarthy's instalment as Waterford manager, he informed the county board that blue shorts would be worn by the county as an all-white kit sent out a sign of weakness. Clearly no fan of Real Madrid

Fair play to him if he did, proberly explains why during that period we stayed with blue shorts. Personally I cant stand the white shorts, far to bland. Half our flag has blue in it so should we now be waving the white flag and admitting defeat before the game starts. Both ourselves and Kildare have too much white in the playing year and we both usually come up short for the big prize. The more blue the better.

Christ, ye're some lads to talk about feckin' shorts...

Provisional NHL fixtures have been released, and are pretty tough for us. We start with Tipp away, and must travel to Kilkenny and Clare. We've got Galway and Dublin at home.

I don't know how they allot those games, didn't we travel to Clare and Kilkenny last year, and play Galway at home?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Cake Man

hardybuck wrote: »

Provisional NHL fixtures have been released, and are pretty tough for us. We start with Tipp away, and must travel to Kilkenny and Clare. We've got Galway and Dublin at home.

I don't know how they allot those games, didn't we travel to Clare and Kilkenny last year, and play Galway at home?

Don't know why they don't just alternate home and away each year?

Goes without saying really but we'd want to be targeting those two home games against Dublin and Galway. Even that may not be enough so if we could get something from the other three, it would be a big help.
    Beating Clare in that league opener last year provided a platform for us to build on so we need to hit the ground running again.

• Advertisement

Cake Man wrote: »

Goes without saying really but we'd want to be targeting those two home games against Dublin and Galway. Even that may not be enough so if we could get something from the other three, it would be a big help.
    Beating Clare in that league opener last year provided a platform for us to build on so we need to hit the ground running again.

Absolutely. Two wins is probably enough to stay in the Division, which will be the name of the game.

I also note that the footballers will be having a fight night in the Park Hotel this Friday night (22nd). These events are always a bit of craic!

They said they were introducing quarter finals for 2014 following the group games. Does that mean the top 4 in 1A and 1B play each other in the quarters. Either way we should be aiming to make the semi's at least.

alllcounty wrote: »
    They said they were introducing quarter finals for 2014 following the group games. Does that mean the top 4 in 1A and 1B play each other in the quarters. Either way we should be aiming to make the semi's at least.

With a new manager, a developing squad who failed to reach the last 8 of Championship 2013, and away trips to Kilkenny, Tipp and Clare - we'd still be doing quite well to remain in 1a - like last year. We could easily fall short of winning two games which is what we'll probably need to stay up.

I've seen nothing on the proposed quarter final structure. If it was four from each division we'd have a decent chance of making a semi though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

With a new manager, a developing squad who failed to reach the last 8 of Championship 2013, and away trips to Kilkenny, Tipp and Clare - we'd still be doing quite well to remain in 1a - like last year. We could easily fall short of winning two games which is what we'll probably need to stay up.

I've seen nothing on the proposed quarter final structure. If it was four from each division we'd have a decent chance of making a semi though.

Yeah they will have those quarters next year. And we should be aiming to make a semi final, that's what we aimed for this year and though we came up just short, we weren't far off.

We would we aim for any less? Obviously the division is competitive, but it's the same for all six teams and after last year I see no reason to put any of them up on a pedestal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭deisedude

Got this in an email from Club Deise today:

Did they say anything about being able to buy it online?

Yeah they will have those quarters next year. And we should be aiming to make a semi final, that's what we aimed for this year and though we came up just short, we weren't far off.

We would we aim for any less? Obviously the division is competitive, but it's the same for all six teams and after last year I see no reason to put any of them up on a pedestal.

It's not about aiming for any less, but being realistic about our prospects.

Many of those teams have proven themselves to be consistently better than us, and we have the tough teams away from home - and it's difficult to pick up wins away from home at the best of times.

On the flip side, we have to games at home which we can target a win from. If we win our home games, we'll stay in the division and should make the quarters. Take it from there. Nothing wrong with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Horseboxhead

I know this sounds slightly bonkers, but with the correct team out on the field with the right preperation , i really could not see outside of Clare[their all ireland winning form], who we really should be fearing this year in the league, kilkenny are well back in the pack, tipp and galway are misfiring badly, and dublin usually put one bad year together after one good year, i can see us getting at least 5/6 points here and that would be very positive with a new manager, new backroom staff, a couple of new players [Hopefuly], and i really hope that derek and his team will be more tactically aware than any of our more recent managers, in terms of being far more fluid in making decisions as the game is going on.I'm not saying we'll challenge for a league title, or even qualify for a league semi, but i really expect us to be comfortable in mid table at the very least, there is alot of teams this years is make or break, Galway and tipp have not scaled the heights of previous years, dublin were good last year , but you never know, and Kilkenny i would now rate as no better than us, so if we get it right we could do very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

deisedude wrote: »
    Did they say anything about being able to buy it online?
    Yes, they said they are trying to set up online orders on their website http://www.clubdeise.com/ but didn't give an indication of when.

If you're on Facebook like their page for updates:
    https://www.facebook.com/ClubDeiseTheWaterfordGaaSupportersClub

robopaddy wrote: »
    Its a lovely jersey. Azzuri would want to up their game. the god awful clobber weve been sending our county teams out to play in the past 2 years was dyer. More like cheap training gear than anything else

I see Laois have just left Azzurri and gone back to O'Neill's. Laois fans are delighted with the new O'Neill's design.

Doesn't look great for Azzurri.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

I know this sounds slightly bonkers, but with the correct team out on the field with the right preperation , i really could not see outside of Clare[their all ireland winning form], who we really should be fearing this year in the league, kilkenny are well back in the pack, tipp and galway are misfiring badly, and dublin usually put one bad year together after one good year, i can see us getting at least 5/6 points here and that would be very positive with a new manager, new backroom staff, a couple of new players [Hopefuly], and i really hope that derek and his team will be more tactically aware than any of our more recent managers, in terms of being far more fluid in making decisions as the game is going on.I'm not saying we'll challenge for a league title, or even qualify for a league semi, but i really expect us to be comfortable in mid table at the very least, there is alot of teams this years is make or break, Galway and tipp have not scaled the heights of previous years, dublin were good last year , but you never know, and Kilkenny i would now rate as no better than us, so if we get it right we could do very well.

I don't think your scenario is bonkers, but you could turn all of it around and we'd be murdered in every game. Everyone will be looking forward to next year. Tipperary and Kilkenny will be thinking things can't get no worse (although Kilkenny would be wrong). Dublin, Cork and Limerick will be looking to build on their improvement in last year's Championship. Galway have had their off year. Wexford, Antrim and Laois all had some form of success in 2013 - heck, so did Carlow. As for Clare and Waterford . . . doesn't need explaining. There's plenty of optimism to go around, but they can't all be right!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Completely randomly generated.
    Cake Man wrote: »

Becasue you never have the same teams in the same divisions any two years it would not be possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

Tough game ,in munster minor ist round ,clare in ennis.

But the looser still has the back door.

Have ye many from last year lads?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Tough game ,in munster minor ist round ,clare in ennis.

But the looser still has the back door.

Have ye many from last year lads?

Off the top of my head we have Shane Bennett, Colm Roche, Conor Gleeson, Cormac Curran and Patrick Curran. Not sure who else. Expect Darragh Lyons to be involved too, was very impressive for Dungarvan this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭seananigans

The correct decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Ropaire

It would have been nice to have it in Walsh park as a once off for a Munster quarter final, and fair play to the CB for looking to do it, but a home and away agreement with Cork was chancing our arm. If a Munster semi final or final featuring us and Cork comes up in the next few years and we're expecting to have it on in a 17,000 capacity stadium we're having a laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭blue note

The correct decision.

Probably, but they were right to try it. We will probably get roughly the capacity of Walsh Park in Thurles for it, but if it was in Walsh Park it would sell out and about 5k people that want to see the game wouldn't get to.

If the GAA aren't going to look at correcting how the gates are distributed from clashes (i.e. Tipp, Cork and Limerick getting a sizeable extra chunk of revenue), then we should look at developing Walsh Park into a 30k capacity venue as soon as we can or even building a new ground. In the long run it would probably make financial sense for the county.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

blue note wrote: »
    If the GAA aren't going to look at correcting how the gates are distributed from clashes (i.e. Tipp, Cork and Limerick getting a sizeable extra chunk of revenue), then we should look at developing Walsh Park into a 30k capacity venue as soon as we can or even building a new ground. In the long run it would probably make financial sense for the county.

It really wouldn't blue, look at the Gaelic Grounds it has only ever been full once if at all, people really are over estimating the revenue a GAA stadium generates in the current climate of falling attendances, there are far too many stadiums sitting idle as it is one more won't help.

The solution to solve the disparity between counties is that the provincial councils should buy outright the top stadium in the province, in our casre currently Thurles and all counties then have a 15k - 20k stadium of their own, all major games played iin Semple and the monies divided equally, having 4 huge stadiums in Munster alone when they might fill one every 10 years is absolute madness and economic suicide.

BTW I'm fully aware this will never happen due to internal politics, me feinism and paronia.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭blue note

It really wouldn't blue, look at the Gaelic Grounds it has only ever been full once if at all, people really are over estimating the revenue a GAA stadium generates in the current climate of falling attendances, there are far too many stadiums sitting idle as it is one more won't help.

The solution to solve the disparity between counties is that the provincial councils should buy outright the top stadium in the province, in our casre currently Thurles and all counties then have a 15k - 20k stadium of their own, all major games played iin Semple and the monies divided equally, having 4 huge stadiums in Munster alone when they might fill one every 10 years is absolute madness and economic suicide.

BTW I'm fully aware this will never happen due to internal politics, me feinism and paronia.

I agree with all of that including the last line about it never happening. Considering it's never going to happen, if we could get Walsh Park up to 30k capacity it would be suitable for Munster quarter and semi finals. It would probably take a couple of decades before we'd recoup the cost it, but we'd have the convenience of playing the games at home and larger attendances at all the games as a result of the home and away arrangements.

Of course the preferable scenario would be that revenue would be distributed more fairly and that Munster could concentrate on having one large stadium (50k) one medium sized stadium (30k) and the other counties have 20k capacity stadiums for club fixtures and league games. In fact, counties sharing grounds would be a very sensible way forward in my view.

But that's never going to happen.

• Advertisement

blue note wrote: »
    Probably, but they were right to try it. We will probably get roughly the capacity of Walsh Park in Thurles for it, but if it was in Walsh Park it would sell out and about 5k people that want to see the game wouldn't get to.

Absoultely,and I hope waterford do a revamp of the stadium , and host big games in the future,i just don't thinks it ready to host big games next year.

Ye have us at home in the u21 at walsh park that sould be enough;-)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement