Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2013- Mod Warning Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Deise_2012 wrote: »
    Whole thing was a joke imo Stephen Bennett was the only person who deserved his award he was outstanding all year. I don't know who selected the nominees for the award but they have become a laughing stock

He didnt play senior at all and infact didn't even win Munster Minor Hurler of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

hardybuck wrote: »
    They'll never give a senior award to a minor.
    Sorry I meant Stephen was the only person who deserved to win in his category. Of course he couldn't win the Senior award. They got the other 3 awards totally wrong to be honest. People may argue for Gary Hurney but Shane Briggs and Brian Looby have been courtys best players this year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

He didnt play senior at all and infact didn't even win Munster Minor Hurler of the year.

Technically Prendergast would only have played Senior with the County though if that was the case. Wouldn't be given him Senior hurler of the year though.

Think Seamus got it in recognition of the service he has given to Waterford. Whether it's right or wrong, to be honest I think people are making far too big a dea lout of these awards.

Do you think he should have won the munster minor hurler award?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

Are blackwater going to play him tommorrow or is he kept for sunday,and have ye a full team,any injuries for the game?

• Advertisement

Are blackwater going to play him tommorrow or is he kept for sunday,and have ye a full team,any injuries for the game?
    he's finished secondary school

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

he's finished secondary school
    Is it the other brother,theres one playing with blackwater,i thought.

Is it the other brother,theres one playing with blackwater,i thought.
    yeah shane bennett, I think he's centre back

Do you think he should have won the munster minor hurler award?

I do indeed was very surprised tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 38,348 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Is everyone not worried that we lost to Wexford by 8 points last weekend.

A Wexford side probly without the Ourlart players.

Id imagine it was a very experimental Waterford side probly half fit

Id worry if we lose to Carlow or Westmeath in our next few games

• Advertisement

PTH2009 wrote: »

I'm absolutely terrified

Derek Mcgrath out

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭quintain

Don't think i'll be able to sleep tonight

think ye should apply for Christy Ring status without delay!

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Sami Jenkis

robopaddy wrote: »
    What to people think of seamus prendergast getting hurler of the year? Congrats to him but its a sign of what a poor year its been for adult hurling in the county. Im guessing this was chosen on the merits of his club performances rather than county and if thats the case there were definetly more deserving winners

Giving it to an intermediate player is very strange imo. The adult hurler of the year should be given to a player from the Senior championship. Even in that case, in my opinion the best two club hurlers of the year weren't even nominate in Noel Conners and Pudge Hurney.
    If we were giving a Waterford intercounty player based on county games only of the year it should have been Nagle.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭blue note

Giving it to an intermediate player is very strange imo. The adult hurler of the year should be given to a player from the Senior championship.

I think it should be given to the best hurler in that particular year.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭carter10

Some disaster alright I mean he's all of one game into his tenure he should have things well worked out by now. Bring back Michael Ryan!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

Technically Prendergast would only have played Senior with the County though if that was the case. Wouldn't be given him Senior hurler of the year though.

Think Seamus got it in recognition of the service he has given to Waterford. Whether it's right or wrong, to be honest I think people are making far too big a dea lout of these awards.

No one would be making a big deal out of it if the nominations werent so mind boggling.

Giving it to an intermediate player is very strange imo. The adult hurler of the year should be given to a player from the Senior championship. Even in thact case, in my opinion the best two club hurlers of the year weren't even nominate in Noel Conners and Pudge Hurney.
    If we were giving a Waterford intercounty player based on county games only of the year it should have been Nagle.

Nonsense to say that this award should be only given to a senior club hurler. the award should be based on the best adult hurler across the board considering performances with county club and or college etc. Seamus prender deserved a nomination for performances with club and county but lets not forget he couldnt hit a barn door against kk I the AI qualifier up in thurles. Noel connors was the outstanding candidate this year imo and didnt even get nominated. If this is because he left the country after passages co final win this is wrong.

Also Passage getting club of the year im not a fan of clubs that dont have a football team getting this award as with ballygunner a couple times previously. I dont begrudge Passage getting some sort of recognition especially after the year theyve had down there but club of the year is more deserving to clubs putting in the work in both codes at ubderage level and across the board

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭alllcounty

Nonsense to say that this award should be only given to a senior club hurler. the award should be based on the best adult hurler across the board considering performances with county club and or college etc. Seamus prender deserved a nomination for performances with club and county but lets not forget he couldnt hit a barn door against kk I the AI qualifier up in thurles. Noel connors was the outstanding candidate this year imo and didnt even get nominated. If this is because he left the country after passages co final win this is wrong.

Also Passage getting club of the year im not a fan of clubs that dont have a football team getting this award as with ballygunner a couple times previously. I dont begrudge Passage getting some sort of recognition especially after the year theyve had down there but club of the year is more deserving to clubs putting in the work in both codes at ubderage level and across the board

I know your from the west so I will excuse your lack of knowledge. Passage are joined with their neighbouring club Gaultier for the football at underage and adult level similar to many other clubs in waterford like Clonea for the hurling, Rathgormack for the football and the same with many more. Passage have been the standout club this year in what they have achieved to win their first senior county title and beat some heavyweights along the way. Also for me I thought there were about 6 passage players that could have got club hurler of the year such was the performances they delivered this year.

• Advertisement

alllcounty wrote: »
    I know your from the west so I will excuse your lack of knowledge. Passage are joined with their neighbouring club Gaultier for the football at underage and adult level similar to many other clubs in waterford like Clonea for the hurling, Rathgormack for the football and the same with many more. Passage have been the standout club this year in what they have achieved to win their first senior county title and beat some heavyweights along the way. Also for me I thought there were about 6 passage players that could have got club hurler of the year such was the performances they delivered this year.

Are ballygunner not joined with gaultier? Confused a bit....

Are ballygunner not joined with gaultier? Confused a bit....

Both are. Gaultier football club is equal distance between Passage and Ballygunner and you will find players from both hurling clubs playing with their neighbouring football club such as Mark Wyse from Passage and the Hutchinson's from Ballygunner both play for Gaultier senior team.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

How official is such a joining of clubs? Can a player decide that they want to play hurling for Passage and football for Tramore for example?

Passage go by the name of Passage Hurling Club on their Facebook and Twitter pages. For me anyway, I can't see anything other than a hurling only club in that. They're giving the players the option to play football somewhere else if they so wish, but have nothing else to do with it as a club.

How official is such a joining of clubs? Can a player decide that they want to play hurling for Passage and football for Tramore for example?

Passage go by the name of Passage Hurling Club on their Facebook and Twitter pages. For me anyway, I can't see anything other than a hurling only club in that. They're giving the players the option to play football somewhere else if they so wish, but have nothing else to do with it as a club.

They are indeed a hurling only club, we shouldn't be under any illusions there.

If you play for a club that only plays one code, you can only play the other code for a club that solely plays that code. Since Tramore play both codes they could not play for them.

So what's the argument. Should they not have got club of the year because their players from underage up play football with their neighbouring club who are football only.

So what's the argument. Should they not have got club of the year because their players from underage up play football with their neighbouring club who are football only.

How exactly is that different to Killrossanty?

How exactly is that different to Killrossanty?

You seem to be avoiding the question asked.

You seem to be avoiding the question asked.

Was I the one being asked the question? I'll answer it anyway.

We all have differing view on this subject, but my own opinion is that if Passage have achieved enough within their club to be suitable to be deemed Club of the Year than I see no reason they shouldn't get it. In fairness, they achieved something incredible this year winning the County so fariplay to them.

I do have to ask why you are so quick to defend Passage not having a football club when you were jibing at Killrossanty not having a hurling club this year. Surely the exact same thing, no?

Was I the one being asked the question? I'll answer it anyway.

We all have differing view on this subject, but my own opinion is that if Passage have achieved enough within their club to be suitable to be deemed Club of the Year than I see no reason they shouldn't get it. In fairness, they achieved something incredible this year winning the County so fariplay to them.

I do have to ask why you are so quick to defend Passage not having a football club when you were jibing at Killrossanty not having a hurling club this year. Surely the exact same thing, no?

Players from Passage have an outlet to play football if they want as there is a neigbouring football club beside them. The point I made a few months ago re Kilrossanty was i thought players didn't have that same outlet to play hurling if they wanted. But I since found out lads from minor in Kilrossanty can join Clonea to play hurling if they wanted to and that was the end of it. I am glad you think passage deserved club of the year, fully deserved imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

They are indeed a hurling only club, we shouldn't be under any illusions there.

If you play for a club that only plays one code, you can only play the other code for a club that solely plays that code. Since Tramore play both codes they could not play for them.

OK. I saw that Brendan Bugler down in Clare won an intermediate hurling with his club Whitegate, but also won a senior football title with Cratloe, who themselves also lost the Clare senior hurling final? I'd be surprised if the rules were applied differently in other county?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement