Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2013- Mod Warning Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

alllcounty wrote: »
    So what's the argument. Should they not have got club of the year because their players from underage up play football with their neighbouring club who are football only.

There is no real argument in the sense that they are a hurling only club. I got the impression you were trying to show that the club were anyway involved in football.

I'd have to sit down and look through a list of all the various competitions which clubs participated in to try and establish who was the most deserving. I don't have that information to hand - Passage may well be just winners but I'm not sure the criteria.

Do I have less respect for clubs who don't put any effort into the other GAA games? Yes, I do.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭alllcounty

hardybuck wrote: »
    Do I have less respect for clubs who don't put any effort into the other GAA games? Yes, I do.

Be careful you dont want Mountianlad down your throat.

I'm only expressing my opinion on it. I think every case should probably be taken on it's merits though. FMW and the Nire for example are separate clubs, but in their example it would appear to be more or less the same club under two different names.

I can remember doing a bit of training with a club in Dublin a few years back. On my first night up there there was hurling, football, ladies football, camogie and handball going on all on the one night. It was pretty special to see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

OK. I saw that Brendan Bugler down in Clare won an intermediate hurling with his club Whitegate, but also won a senior football title with Cratloe, who themselves also lost the Clare senior hurling final? I'd be surprised if the rules were applied differently in other county?

Not neccesarily given we have different structures to each Counties vairous competitions at Senior and underage level.

Pretty sure the Waterford County board is in charge of their own transfer policy. Looking at the transfers earlier in the year, most of the Killrossanty lads seem to have gone to play hurling for Ballydurn. Others went to play for Clonea.

Just a small bit of information that's important to the discussion but thought you might like to know anyway, Cratloe lost the Senior Hurling final last year. They didn't make it out of their group this year, astonishing given 3 of their players won all-stars this year!

Sure with a tyrant like me he need only say good morning and I'd be argumentative.

Just so you know though, if people decide they have a general problem with the lack of promotion for both codes than that's a fair concern. The selective application of when someone thinks its a disgrace that a club isn't promoting both sports, however, is not fair.

You very much so singled out Killrossanty when other clubs were guilty of the same, it all seemed a bit anti-football to me.
    I'm only expressing my opinion on it. I think every case should probably be taken on it's merits though. FMW and the Nire for example are separate clubs, but in their example it would appear to be more or less the same club under two different names.

I can remember doing a bit of training with a club in Dublin a few years back. On my first night up there there was hurling, football, ladies football, camogie and handball going on all on the one night. It was pretty special to see.

Don't think you can compare us to Dublin. Would be very hard to promote all those sports at the same time in rural Waterford.

Not neccesarily given we have different structures to each Counties vairous competitions at Senior and underage level.

Pretty sure the Waterford County board is in charge of their own transfer policy. Looking at the transfers earlier in the year, most of the Killrossanty lads seem to have gone to play hurling for Ballydurn. Others went to play for Clonea.

Just a small bit of information that's important to the discussion but thought you might like to know anyway, Cratloe lost the Senior Hurling final last year. They didn't make it out of their group this year, astonishing given 3 of their players won all-stars this year!

Sure with a tyrant like me he need only say good morning and I'd be argumentative.

Just so you know though, if people decide they have a general problem with the lack of promotion for both codes than that's a fair concern. The selective application of when someone thinks its a disgrace that a club isn't promoting both sports, however, is not fair.

You very much so singled out Killrossanty when other clubs were guilty of the same, it all seemed a bit anti-football to me.

Don't think you can compare us to Dublin. Would be very hard to promote all those sports at the same time in rural Waterford.

Yeah, my mistake about Cratloe.

I'm not suggesting that what I saw in Dublin could be replaced in rural clubs, but it was still great to see. While they often have bigger populations to pick from, they also have much more competition from other sports, and general activities which don't involve GAA. They needed to work very hard to cement their position in their communities, and they came out a lot stronger for it.

While technically not part of the GAA, I'm surprised by the amount of clubs who don't have ladies football or camogie sections. I think that's something tangible that most clubs should be targeting improvement from.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

Players from Passage have an outlet to play football if they want as there is a neigbouring football club beside them. The point I made a few months ago re Kilrossanty was i thought players didn't have that same outlet to play hurling if they wanted. But I since found out lads from minor in Kilrossanty can join Clonea to play hurling if they wanted to and that was the end of it. I am glad you think passage deserved club of the year, fully deserved imo.
    Don't know if it's fully deserved, what have they done different to Ballinacourty who won the Senior Football? And then you have to add in their underage success this year

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

OK. I saw that Brendan Bugler down in Clare won an intermediate hurling with his club Whitegate, but also won a senior football title with Cratloe, who themselves also lost the Clare senior hurling final? I'd be surprised if the rules were applied differently in other county?

Same rules in Tipp, there are a few clubs in North Tipp that don't field adult football clubs and players from them clubs are permitted to play Football with one club and hurling with another.

It had alot to do with the fact they had so many county players, said players were not available to the club for so much of the summer, Sixmilebridge who won the county only had one player I think involved with Clare possibly a second as an unused panel member so they had a big advantage that they had more or less a full panel all year. As the y say the ends justify teh means and Clare won the two AI's so no questions have been raised, but its nort really a sustainable approach and I'm sure in a less sucessfull year eyebrows will be raised and the clubs will revolt.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭carter10

Same rules in Tipp, there are a few clubs in North Tipp that don't field adult football clubs and players from them clubs are permitted to play Football with one club and hurling with another.

Clonmel Commercials (Football) St Marys (Hurling) Same pitch 2 different clubs. A lot of the same players.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

Hamilton got dungarvan in the harty cup quater final in january the 15 th.

What are the holders dungarvan like ,many from last year etc???
    I know their were almagatamated last year with another school,i dont know much bout them
    Any info lads?Are the Currans still with them?

Hamilton are only in their 2nd year after a ten year gap.
    Beaten by ard scoil,in mallow,i was their,opening game,i like many never doubted their heart,but felt the cutenettness ,speed of hurling they would lack in big games.

How wrong and glad I was.One every game since,destroyed ,flannans in kilmallock,one of the best hurling displays I saw up to last week by a cork team at schools.
    They took their foot of the pedal,and conceded two late goals but dominated the game.

They won the cork colleges,ist time ever,beating a strong midelton going for 3 in a row last friday night,and played super hurling.

Got 2 -17,,all bar 3 from play.Midelton did have 14 men for 55 minutes,but in truth hamilton were that good.

Michael cahalane,six from play,2-20 aprox ist two games,god only knows what hes total is,but he must be up their with the top scorers as hes profilic,goals,points and lethal from placed balls.

He was dual cork minor last year,dual u21 this year,a certain starter in walsh park in u21 in june.Hes that good,tall,strong,mobile,fast hes got it all.
    Ye would rememeber him from the minor game this year.Trevor horgan,likewise very good,and dual player,can play centre or full.

The mark of any team is a good spine ,and from Macsweeney ,a super tough no nonense full back,to kenneally,chris o leary ,a real auhortive centre back ,and curran the half back line is rock solid.

Luke meade and david healy (was injured)fine midfeld.

And jerry o neill,a strong lad(farmer)natuarlly strong and powerful,with cahalane and horgan up front have ball winners.

Eoin o reilly corner forward is a flyer and o donovan is nippy also.
    A well balanced tean,and have came on leapsand bounds since the Ard Scoil game.

In a way it was a blessing in disguise,a real eye opener to them,you cant give top teams an inch,or they take a mile.

Hamilton got dungarvan in the harty cup quater final in january the 15 th.

What are the holders dungarvan like ,many from last year etc???
    I know their were almagatamated last year with another school,i dont know much bout them
    Any info lads?Are the Currans still with them?

Hamilton are only in their 2nd year after a ten year gap.
    Beaten by ard scoil,in mallow,i was their,opening game,i like many never doubted their heart,but felt the cutenettness ,speed of hurling they would lack in big games.

How wrong and glad I was.One every game since,destroyed ,flannans in kilmallock,one of the best hurling displays I saw up to last week by a cork team at schools.
    They took their foot of the pedal,and conceded two late goals but dominated the game.

They won the cork colleges,ist time ever,beating a strong midelton going for 3 in a row last friday night,and played super hurling.

Got 2 -17,,all bar 3 from play.Midelton did have 14 men for 55 minutes,but in truth hamilton were that good.

Michael cahalane,six from play,2-20 aprox ist two games,god only knows what hes total is,but he must be up their with the top scorers as hes profilic,goals,points and lethal from placed balls.

He was dual cork minor last year,dual u21 this year,a certain starter in walsh park in u21 in june.Hes that good,tall,strong,mobile,fast hes got it all.
    Ye would rememeber him from the minor game this year.Trevor horgan,likewise very good,and dual player,can play centre or full.

The mark of any team is a good spine ,and from Macsweeney ,a super tough no nonense full back,to kenneally,chris o leary ,a real auhortive centre back ,and curran the half back line is rock solid.

Luke meade and david healy (was injured)fine midfeld.

And jerry o neill,a strong lad(farmer)natuarlly strong and powerful,with cahalane and horgan up front have ball winners.

Eoin o reilly corner forward is a flyer and o donovan is nippy also.
    A well balanced tean,and have came on leapsand bounds since the Ard Scoil game.

In a way it was a blessing in disguise,a real eye opener to them,you cant give top teams an inch,or they take a mile.
    Dungarvan will be good, they'll have Kevin Daly, Michael Cronin, Darragh Lyons, Cormac Curran, Patrick Curran from last years team. Aaron Donnelly, Coror Morrissey and Eamon Crotty are going well this year also. Cormac Curran is playing brilliant stuff all year so he'l be a good match for Cahalane at midfield. Patrick Curran has a broken hand and is in a cast but I'm pretty sure he'l be ready for Jan 15th.

• Advertisement

Deise_2012 wrote: »
    Dungarvan will be good, they'll have Kevin Daly, Michael Cronin, Darragh Lyons, Cormac Curran, Patrick Curran from last years team. Aaron Donnelly, Coror Morrissey and Eamon Crotty are going well this year also. Cormac Curran is playing brilliant stuff all year so he'l be a good match for Cahalane at midfield. Patrick Curran has a broken hand and is in a cast but I'm pretty sure he'l be ready for Jan 15th.

Jesus a handy one for hamilton so;-)

Thanks for that.They sound as strong as last year.The currans are superb,sweeney at full back has a tough hour.

Cahalane will play centre forward or full.Who would mark him their?
    Dungarvan be favourites.

Where would the venue be?
    Youghal?

Jesus a handy one for hamilton so;-)

Thanks for that.They sound as strong as last year.The currans are superb,sweeney at full back has a tough hour.

Cahalane will play centre forward or full.Who would mark him their?
    Dungarvan be favourites.

Where would the venue be?
    Youghal?
    I reckon Kevin Daly will mark him because he would be too physical for Darragh Lyons, He'l know Daly from the minor semi final this year anyway. Youghal I suppose would be the neutral venue would suit both teams!

I reckon Kevin Daly will mark him because he would be too physical for Darragh Lyons, He'l know Daly from the minor semi final this year anyway. Youghal I suppose would be the neutral venue would suit both teams!

Thanks for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭cleaboy boy

All the very best to Ballysaggart in the Munster final this coming Sunday, if any club ( with no disrespect to other clubs ) deserves success then it's the Saggart. Bring it home boys.

I'm after hearing Waterford are playing Antrim tomorrow, Carriganore again I presume?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Did someone not say here the other day it was Carlow on Sunday? Would it be right for them to have two games in two days, can anyone confirm?

Cake Man wrote: »
    Did someone not say here the other day it was Carlow on Sunday? Would it be right for them to have two games in two days, can anyone confirm?
    yeah heard they're mixing the panel for both games

yeah heard they're mixing the panel for both games

Ahright I see, any idea of a throw in time tomorrow?

Ahright I see, any idea of a throw in time tomorrow?
    no idea, don't think too many are aware of the game

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭3ships

2pm according to news and star

double header 1st dev squad then full scale challenge

• Advertisement

3ships wrote: »
    2pm according to news and star

double header 1st dev squad then full scale challenge
    Carriganore?

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭3ships

Carraiganore 2pm Sat

Nice one thanks lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭IanVW

Any update on todays challenge?

IanVW wrote: »
    Any update on todays challenge?

On at 4.30. U21's playing Antrim now, fairly sure Antrim up by a few pts and playing better.

On at 4.30. U21's playing Antrim now, fairly sure Antrim up by a few pts and playing better.

Kevin ryan still with the antrim u21s.
    Whats the u21 team ?

Kevin ryan still with the antrim u21s.
    Whats the u21 team ?

Yeah think so. Couldn't tell you the team, don't recognise that many only DJ Foran, Cathal Curran, Michael Harney. Maurice was playing centre forward first half, he's overage but I think it's more of a mix and match/development squad than u21.

Yeah think so. Couldn't tell you the team, don't recognise that many only DJ Foran, Cathal Curran, Michael Harney. Maurice was playing centre forward first half, he's overage but I think it's more of a mix and match/development squad than u21.
    Sound
    Its the right idea,games now,as the league will come around very fast.

2-22 to 3-18 in that mixed game to Antrim. Yeah Antrim had a mix of u21 and seniors.

Other game starting now under lights. Good to see back room fellas recording both games, shows the management are taking things seriously and preparing accordingly.
    Team is sok, Barry coughlin, lawlor, wyse, sully, d fives, tagdh Burke, nagle, Eddie Barrett, gav o brien, Seamus, paudie, Donie breathnach, midget Roche, Ryan Donnelly.

• Advertisement

2-22 to 3-18 in that mixed game to Antrim. Yeah Antrim had a mix of u21 and seniors.

Other game starting now under lights. Good to see back room fellas recording both games, shows the management are taking things seriously and preparing accordingly.
    Team is sok, Barry coughlin, lawlor, wyse, sully, d fives, tagdh Burke, nagle, Eddie Barrett, gav o brien, Seamus, paudie, Donie breathnach, midget Roche, Ryan Donnelly.
    Great report lad.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement