Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2013- Mod Warning Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

Cake Man wrote: »
    2-22 to 3-18 in that mixed game to Antrim. Yeah Antrim had a mix of u21 and seniors.

Other game starting now under lights. Good to see back room fellas recording both games, shows the management are taking things seriously and preparing accordingly.
    Team is sok, Barry coughlin, lawlor, wyse, sully, d fives, tagdh Burke, nagle, Eddie Barrett, gav o brien, Seamus, paudie, Donie breathnach, midget Roche, Ryan Donnelly.
    Are Peter Queally and Darragh Duggan in charge of the u21s?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Deise_2012 wrote: »
    Are Peter Queally and Darragh Duggan in charge of the u21s?

Yeah they were there.
    Waterford ran out comfortable winners by about 10pts, didn't get a full time score but we put away 4 or 5 goals. Loose game as you'd expect but some good play on show, the younger players did well. Ryan Donnelly, Tadgh Burke, Stephen Roche, paudie all did very well.
    Killian Fitzgerald and Jerome maher made appearances second half.

There's no game on tomorrow v Carlow.

Yeah they were there.
    Waterford ran out comfortable winners by about 10pts, didn't get a full time score but we put away 4 or 5 goals. Loose game as you'd expect but some good play on show, the younger players did well. Ryan Donnelly, Tadgh Burke, Stephen Roche, paudie all did very well.
    Killian Fitzgerald and Jerome maher made appearances second half.

There's no game on tomorrow v Carlow.
    Paudies playing the best hurling of his life since July, hope he continues it into next season

• Registered Users Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Paudies playing the best hurling of his life since July, hope he continues it into next season

Yeah the first touch of the players was generally good for this time of year and they sprayed the ball around well. Some if the scores ere well worked.

Jamie nagle another that's continuing to do well he was involved a lot and hit plenty of ball. Some nice long range scores from him aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭glick6

Jamie Nagle is an exceptional player. Extremely underrated in his own county. Without a doubt our best player last year.

No wait. That won't do for the media. Give Kevin Moran some accolade quick...do it. Or maybe Noelie.. Or bring back Mullane...

A

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭glick6

Yeah the first touch of the players was generally good for this time of year and they sprayed the ball around well. Some if the scores ere well worked.

Jamie nagle another that's continuing to do well he was involved a lot and hit plenty of ball. Some nice long range scores from him aswell.

Crap. It's only 6 weeks since a lot of these boys played county finals etc. Why is it that their touch is "good or this time of year" it should be good all the time. Crap.

glick6 wrote: »
    Crap. It's only 6 weeks since a lot of these boys played county finals etc. Why is it that their touch is "good or this time of year" it should be good all the time. Crap.
    relax pal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

glick6 wrote: »

Considering its the first time in abt 10 years fellahs are actually allowed to hurl at this time year I wont be losing much sleep over it

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

Is Tom Bennett a brother of Shane/Stephen/Kieran? And is he older or younger than them?

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

Ballysaggart 6 points up with 10 mins left, 3-10 to 0-13. Hope they can hold out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

Well done to Ballysaggart. Munster champions - 3-12 to 0-15. Stephen Bennet hit 1-7

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Well done to Ballysaggart, fantastic achievement :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

Weldone ballysaggart. Was listening to it on west limerick fm. They gave great to stephen bennett. acknowledged he was the difference

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭noiniho

deise_girl wrote: »
    Is Tom Bennett a brother of Shane/Stephen/Kieran? And is he older or younger than them?

His not a brother anyway but I am sure he is some relation

Huge congrats to Ballysaggart, what an achievement, 2013 what an unbelievable year for them and it is onwards and upwards, that club will never look back after the events of this year

If you backed Stephen Bennett for 1st goal in most of this years matches you'd have been very profitable! The man is unbelievable. Are there more games to come for Ballysaggart?

If you backed Stephen Bennett for 1st goal in most of this years matches you'd have been very profitable! The man is unbelievable. Are there more games to come for Ballysaggart?

Play a team from Sligo, the Connacht champions, in the semi after Xmas

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭deisedude

Was at the game today in Mallow. Unbelievable set up there to rival any professional team except they really fecked up by not putting in enough toilets when they built it.

To the game itself both teams were fairly evenly matched, some superbly taken long range frees kept the Limerick side in it. All the Bennett brothers were a class above though. Stephen was marked by 3 players at one stage and still scored a point! Shane doesn't get the same plaudits but he is some player too, a great future ahead of him.

Great overall team performance. Was very impressed by Kenneth Cahill in the first half in particular. Ran himself into the ground for the cause

deisedude wrote: »
    Was at the game today in Mallow. Unbelievable set up there to rival any professional team except they really fecked up by not putting in enough toilets when they built it.

To the game itself both teams were fairly evenly matched, some superbly taken long range frees kept the Limerick side in it. All the Bennett brothers were a class above though. Stephen was marked by 3 players at one stage and still scored a point! Shane doesn't get the same plaudits but he is some player too, a great future ahead of him.

Great overall team performance. Was very impressed by Kenneth Cahill in the first half in particular. Ran himself into the ground for the cause
    He flew home from NZ to play the game, delighted for the club some year!

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

Ballysaggart 3-12 Feenagh/Kilmeedy 0-15

Two “handy” goals early in the second half proved the difference as Ballysaggart deservedly became the first Waterford team to win the Munster Junior Hurling Club championship today. This was a high-quality game of hurling which was a credit to both clubs. The pitch at the superb Mallow GAA facility was in fairly good condition despite the preceding game of football. It was strange that they played the football game first, especially as football is more suited to being played under lights, which were on from the start of the hurling game.

There was a stiff wind blowing straight down the field which assisted Feenagh in the first half. However, it was Ballysaggart who made by far the better start, with Stephen Bennett opening their scoring with a pointed free followed by a superb goal from 20 metres. Bennett added two more neat points struck off his right side (for the benefit of those who think he is too one-sided for senior intercounty level) with his brother Shane weighing in with two further points.

Feenagh gradually worked their way back into the game, with their centre back Edward Murphy scoring three excellent long-range frees from his own half of the pitch. With Ballysaggart playing only five (and sometimes four) up front, we repeatedly saw unmarked Feenagh defenders picking up Ballysaggart clearances falling short into the wind and driving them back with interest. This pressure yielded a sequence of frees all of which the Feenagh freetaker converted.

Deep into added time, Stephen Bennett shot wide after the referee failed to whistle for an obvious jersey pull, and from the puckout Feenagh earned a converted free which amounted to a two-point turnaround which we feared might prove significant. Half-time: Ballysaggart 1-8 Feenagh 0-9.
    Feenagh came out all business in the second half but were rocked back when conceding two rather soft goals within a few minutes of each other. The first came from a long ball in by Stephen Bennett which broke at the edge of the square, and despite the attentions of two defenders, Ballysaggart’s Ronan Walsh managed to get the ball into his hand and squeeze it past the keeper from an angle. Minutes later Shane Bennett ran onto a poor Feenagh clearance and powered forward to shoot for goal from 20 metres. The goalie should really have stopped a shot which wasn’t that strongly hit and came in at midriff height, but it passed through his diving body and into the net. This gave Ballysaggart a three-goal lead.

Feenagh were now shell-shocked and I thought Ballysaggart should have gone for the jugular, but they retreated into defence to deny Feenagh the goal which they knew they needed – always a bad idea in my view in a hurling game, but one which worked out on this occasion. At one stage in the second half, despite playing with the wind, Ballysaggart had no player inside the Feenagh 45 metre line. They had Stephen Bennett playing on the wing where he was rather marginalised when I thought he should have been located at full forward where he would have been more of a threat and would have required the attention of several Feenagh defenders. At the same time, Ballysaggart did create a number of good scoring chances in the second half but turned them into bad misses.

Instead, Feenagh owned midfield for much of the second half but long balls into the goal area were well defended with goalkeeper Matty Meagher dealing very capably with any ball landing in the goalmouth. Feenagh also tried running at the Ballysaggart defence but this proved equally unproductive. However, they did get the deficit down to four points, their best goal chance coming from a well-struck 30 metre free from their centre back which was deflected over the bar. Stephen Bennett closed out the game with two well-struck frees in the final minutes.

Apart from Stephen Bennett, I thought Ballysaggart’s best players were centre back Eugene O’Brien, left half back Cailean O’Gorman who had a really good second half, Shane Bennett at left half forward and right half forward Kenneth Cashel who came home from New Zealand for this game and turned in a really powerful first half before understandably running out of steam after the change of ends.

There was a great atmosphere at the game (official attendance 3,270), and the outpouring of joy and emotion from the Ballysaggart fans (who were there in force) at the final whistle showed what a wonderful addition to the GAA calendar these secondary club championships have become.

Ballysaggart: Matty Meagher; Bobby Ryan; Kieran Fennessy; Daniel Devine; Barry Murphy; Eugene O’Brien; Cailean O’Gorman; Christy Murphy (0-1); Kieran Bennett; Kenneth Cashel (0-1); Darren Meagher (0-1); Shane Bennett (1-2); Ronan Walsh (1-0); Stephen Bennett (1-7, 4 frees); Tom Bennett.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

Kevin ryan still with the antrim u21s.
    Whats the u21 team ?

I was only able to stay for the first half of the first match, during which Antrim played a lot of nice hurling, working the ball up the pitch with 20-30 metre stick passes. However, they were unable to handle the strong running of Maurice Shanahan at centre forward, and went in at half time losing by 2-8 to 0-9, Kevin Casey of Ballyduff Upper and Jack Lyons of Portlaw finishing off good attacking moves for the goals. I would say DJ Foran scored four or five points at right half forward. John Dee did some good work at centre back with Michael Harney also showing well on this left, while Harley Barnes hit a lot of ball in midfield.

As I said, I don't know what happened in the second half, but the starting line-up was Lynch (the Passage goalie), William Hahessy, Kevin Daly and Cian Leamy (the minor fullback line), Shane Roche (Passage), John Dee (Portlaw), Michael Harney, Harley Barnes (Ballyguner), Mark O'Brien (Ferrybank); DJ Foran, Maurice Shanahan, Seamus Keating (Ardmore), Kevin Casey, Jack Lyons and Cathal Curran (Dungarvan). It was good to see Seamus Keating playing here (given his progress as a rugby player) although things didn't go too well for him on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

Giveitfong wrote: »
    I was only able to stay for the first half of the first match, during which Antrim played a lot of nice hurling, working the ball up the pitch with 20-30 metre stick passes. However, they were unable to handle the strong running of Maurice Shanahan at centre forward, and went in at half time losing by 2-8 to 0-9, Kevin Casey of Ballyduff Upper and Jack Lyons of Portlaw finishing off good attacking moves for the goals. I would say DJ Foran scored four or five points at right half forward. John Dee did some good work at centre back with Michael Harney also showing well on this left, while Harley Barnes hit a lot of ball in midfield.

As I said, I don't know what happened in the second half, but the starting line-up was Lynch (the Passage goalie), William Hahessy, Kevin Daly and Cian Leamy (the minor fullback line), Shane Roche (Passage), John Dee (Portlaw), Michael Harney, Harley Barnes (Ballyguner), Mark O'Brien (Ferrybank); DJ Foran, Maurice Shanahan, Seamus Keating (Ardmore), Kevin Casey, Jack Lyons and Cathal Curran (Dungarvan). It was good to see Seamus Keating playing here (given his progress as a rugby player) although things didn't go too well for him on the day.
    Thanks lad

Ye will have a very strong u21 this year.

deisedude wrote: »

Mallow is a super complex .Its ideal for ye as ye dont have to go through the town at all just turn of at the junction.
    I agree the toilets are small,but I must say their immaculate ,very clean,a nice refreshing smell ,compared to the pong ,in most places.

Their is nothing more relaxing than going for a lash,in relaxing surroundings,nothing worse than having to rush it,over the horrific smell.

Yeah its super,the outer ptiches are great also ,and while parking can get cramped the stewdards are fantastic.

It can hold 8 thousand ,and was opened by cork waterford in 2008.
    Munster rubgy trained their but then they stopped.It should get more big games.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

I see that Tom Devine of Waterford will be attending an upcoming AFL trial, along with 21 of the other top underage players in the country.

Does anyone know this lad's club and how good he is?

hardybuck wrote: »
    I see that Tom Devine of Waterford will be attending an upcoming AFL trial, along with 21 of the other top underage players in the country.

There is a few Australian teams here at the moment.In Ul,last friday their was an u15 australian selection of their best talents playing a Monaleen selection in comprimised rules.

The aussies were already in belguim,and france and were due in listowel(i think)and galway playing games.They are in ireland for a week.
    They played the ist 3 quarters with a round ball,the last with oval ball.

The Monaleen lads won handy.,but My biggest fear with these games is ,any good home grown irish talent is short listed ,and could be tempted to go abroad.

If a player wants to go fair enough,it is he's choice ,but we should be trying to retain our best players at home as ,with. Ciaran sheehan, Tommy walsh etc, Football is better with those playing it rather than not being involved.
    Walsh and sheehan are such rare talents you would like to see them at their peak in Ireland.

These trials are going to take our best players.
    Isnt keiran joyce. Kilkenny,younger brother going to afl also.He is a hurler but athletically they like what they see.

The Gaa has to really look at this issue and the facilating of trials etc is not helping.

hardybuck wrote: »

He's from Modeligo but he's not renowned for his football skills, very surprising to me

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭shoddy14

He's from Modeligo but he's not renowned for his football skills, very surprising to me

You really havnt a clue so
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_iTOMh2MTU

shoddy14 wrote: »
    I haven't a clue? fair play for scoring a goal v kerry but that football set up was a joke, met up 3 days before the Limerick match and picked a team out of it. I'd consider him more of a hurler than a footballer and I don't think many would disagree

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭shoddy14

I haven't a clue? fair play for scoring a goal v kerry but that football set up was a joke, met up 3 days before the Limerick match and picked a team out of it. I'd consider him more of a hurler than a footballer and I don't think many would disagree

No one is saying hes not more of a hurler. Hes an equally accomplished footballer tho, won All Ireland colleges with the Friary the year gone too

• Advertisement

shoddy14 wrote: »
    No one is saying hes not more of a hurler. Hes an equally accomplished footballer tho, won All Ireland colleges with the Friary the year gone too
    Never doubted his abilities as a footballer. I'm aware of his achievements throughout the year, bit harsh saying I haven't a clue. If anyone asked about Tom Devine they would say Harty Cup captain, midfield for the Minor hurlers. playing midfield for UCC hurlers which is my point about what he's renowned for, Hurling. don't think he's on the UCC football team which is why I'm surprised he's attending AFL trials

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement