Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2013- Mod Warning Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭shoddy14

Deise_2012 wrote: »
    Never doubted his abilities as a footballer. I'm aware of his achievements throughout the year, bit harsh saying I haven't a clue. If anyone asked about Tom Devine they would say Harty Cup captain, midfield for the Minor hurlers. playing midfield for UCC hurlers which is my point about what he's renowned for, Hurling. don't think he's on the UCC football team which is why I'm surprised he's attending AFL trials

Your original post came across as if you wernt aware of his footballing background. Tbh I think for AFL they are looking for individuals with the physique and fitness rather than anything else. They are going to be tested on agility, verticle jump, endurance and speed up in Dublin. Very little to do with the actual ball at this stage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

hardybuck wrote: »
    I see that Tom Devine of Waterford will be attending an upcoming AFL trial, along with 21 of the other top underage players in the country.

Does anyone know this lad's club and how good he is?

Cormac curran of brickey rangers called up aswell

Never doubted his abilities as a footballer. I'm aware of his achievements throughout the year, bit harsh saying I haven't a clue. If anyone asked about Tom Devine they would say Harty Cup captain, midfield for the Minor hurlers. playing midfield for UCC hurlers which is my point about what he's renowned for, Hurling. don't think he's on the UCC football team which is why I'm surprised he's attending AFL trials

Hes not on the UCC hurling team, hes on the Freshers team and yes he is on the football team aswell fyi. He was nominated for young footballer of the year (which he should have won) won all all ireland colleges football with st agustines this year and was also midfield for the co minor footballers.

People that know gaa will know about him anyway. Moreso than the fair weather hurling fans

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

shoddy14 wrote: »
    Your original post came across as if you wernt aware of his footballing background. Tbh I think for AFL they are looking for individuals with the physique and fitness rather than anything else. They are going to be tested on agility, verticle jump, endurance and speed up in Dublin. Very little to do with the actual ball at this stage

I don't think they've ever taken a player who wasn't a serious footballer. This is probably the first time they've considered looking at hurlers.

If a talented footballer is struggling to adapt to the oval ball, then a hurler won't get it at all.

I don't think they've ever taken a player who wasn't a serious footballer.

2 o'hailpins

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭shoddy14

robopaddy wrote: »
    Hes not on the UCC hurling team, hes on the Freshers team and yes he is on the football team aswell fyi. He was nominated for young footballer of the year (which he should have won) won all all ireland colleges football with st agustines this year and was also midfield for the co minor footballers.

People that know gaa will know about him anyway. Moreso than the fair weather hurling fans
    2 o'hailpins

At least someone knows what they are talking about on here

2 o'hailpins

One if not both played county minor with Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭thegambler2

he isnt on the UCC football team.....played one game at the start of the year and nothing after...

One if not both played county minor with Cork.

Seen both of them play. Neither could actually play the game just big and agile

he isnt on the UCC football team.....played one game at the start of the year and nothing after...

I meant freshers. Saw his name on a teamsheet

• Advertisement

Seen both of them play. Neither could actually play the game just big and agile

I saw Aisake and would agree, but you won't get on the Cork minors unless too easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

haha sound for the fair weather hurling fans comment made me laugh. as I said to shoddy I'm aware of what Tom achieved throughout the year he was fantastic all year, I meant he was playing freshers hurling anyway which he is, and the gambler has pointed out he played one football game for the freshers at the start of the year so maybe he's not playing football? but that young footballer of the year award was a joke, Brian Looby from Ballinacourty should have won that hands down.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

I saw Aisake and would agree, but you won't get on the Cork minors unless too easy.

It all depends on who is in Charge of Cork.Talent isn't worth a dime if its not played ,or played Correclty.Take the Cork minors hurlers this year and watch the shambles uncover in the Hurling this year at u21 in walsh park.

Aiseake did play minor for Cork.Setanta would have been involved in 2003 u21 defeat to waterford at walsh park ,in football.
    That was a comple mess and a joke of a set up for cork .It was a thursday night.
    The preparation cork had for this game was a joke,and the management was awful,certainly not the worst ever,as we have such an elite list that followed,and juding by history,a lot more to follow.

If New zealand loose one match,they might,just say it was an accident,thats them putting it kindly.If it happens twice its a trend.

The Cork u21 team was a dissaster waiting to happen.Lost to clare in 2002,, with a very good team,kenny,ger spillane ,and noel o leary was the half back line.That was a good cork team.

It could be said that cork were inexpierenced is it was young.No excuses in 2003.11 of the team played minor that won the all ireland,a forward line of conrad murphy,brosnan,declan barron and james masters ,cork were beaten first round by ye.

Taking nothing away from Waterford ,who won munster that year,that cork team greatly underachieved.
    Cork had created a fiasco,in the day of the game,trying to get the game postponed ,as John gardiner and Setanta were in the hurling final ,but on the u21 panel.
    The two lads were not certain to even start,hadnt kicked a ball all year ,and same with training.

Cork ,that team had such a good team didnt need them.Anthony davis ,a poor ,poor coach,was manager and should never of allowed the application to postpone the game.Cork team that travelled up to the game,morale was low ,and how could you blame them.All the uncertainty over two players that hadnt played any major role in 2001, with the minor ,were now parachuted to the panel,ahead of lads that bust their balls all year and were better footballers.

Noel o leary ,gave a splendid interview in the sunday tribune in 2007.In that ,he mentioned the 2003 u21 team.

He said the cork management then was the worst he had ever seen.Poor training,poor locations for training,management and selectors turning up late,no buzz,poor morale,and mentioned setanta and gardiner in the panel,when they werent needed and had no training done.

Noel felt that was a great cork team with potential to win.He was right.In 2004,tony leahy took over,with john cleary,cork won four munster in a row,and two all irelands.
    Nothing changed,bar they had managers that knew what they were doing.

Noel didnt play in 2004,overage,but cork ran armagh close in the semi final,a very good team.

And Anthony davis was a super,super footballer,only guy to win minos,u21,senior ,junior all irelands.A super playes,and a good man on the Sunday Game,but showed as many others have,being a great footballer doesnt mean you will be a good coach.

I hope Don,he's brother is a better coach,as he is with our senior footballers now.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

Thanks lad

Ye will have a very strong u21 this year.

Waterford have a potentially strong under-21 team most years – the problem has been to get them to deliver when it counts. This year I think with a more positive approach from the management, Waterford could have taken a vulnerable Clare team in Walsh Park (especially after Tony Kelly went off injured) and they went on to win the All-Ireland. If Pauric Mahony, Gavin O’Brien and Eoin Madigan had been fit, it could well have been Waterford’s year.

Waterford will have nine of the team that started that game, and at least four of the subs (including Austin Gleeson) available in 2014. They will also have Gavin O’Brien. Off the minor team, in addition to Gleeson, they will have Kevin Daly, Stephen Bennett, Michael Harney, Tom Devine, DJ Foran and Mikey Kearney in contention. Depending on how the minors go, they could also have Shane Bennett, Patrick Curran, Cormac Curran and maybe Colm Roche in the mix. The elder Bennett, Kieran, will also be a serious contender. Overall, I would expect about ten of next year’s senior county panel to be under-21.

Giveitfong wrote: »
    Waterford have a potentially strong under-21 team most years – the problem has been to get them to deliver when it counts. This year I think with a more positive approach from the management, Waterford could have taken a vulnerable Clare team in Walsh Park (especially after Tony Kelly went off injured) and they went on to win the All-Ireland. If Pauric Mahony, Gavin O’Brien and Eoin Madigan had been fit, it could well have been Waterford’s year.

Waterford will have nine of the team that started that game, and at least four of the subs (including Austin Gleeson) available in 2014. They will also have Gavin O’Brien. Off the minor team, in addition to Gleeson, they will have Kevin Daly, Stephen Bennett, Michael Harney, Tom Devine, DJ Foran and Mikey Kearney in contention. Depending on how the minors go, they could also have Shane Bennett, Patrick Curran, Cormac Curran and maybe Colm Roche in the mix. The elder Bennett, Kieran, will also be a serious contender. Overall, I would expect about ten of next year’s senior county panel to be under-21.
    On paper ,Cork are talented.

Patrick collins,minor Gk be keeper second year in a row.Hes that good,plays outfield for club.

Killian o connor,Colm spillane in the full back line.

Conor twomey ,Niall,Cashman,Cormac Murphy ,Mark o keoffe ,Chris o Leary ,all would be credible options at half back.
    Rob o shea ,i think is underage,or stephen murphy and cormac walsh and dillion cahill ,or mark o connor ,or kingston could all make good midfield.

Up front ,alan cadogan,pa callaghan,and michael cahallane are certs to start and all match winners.
    Then with Mark sugrue,trevor horgan ,aron ward,alan o callaghan ,pa herihly ,aron sheehan ,among a host of others the talent is their ,to make a very good side,to be competitve.

However the management team have done nothing ,in previous years to show they can blend a team and prepare it to win,away from home.
    Walsh park is a tough place to go,like in terms of going to france and winning in rubgy.
    You got to be very well prepared and top of your game to win.
    In truth ,waterford could blow us away like in thurles last year .
    I think Queally as a good coach,very good with youghal and passage.He probably paid Clare too much respect and focused too much on them rather than themselves.But that Clare team were Great you had to focus on them to a degree.

He wont fear cork at all,and the players wont after corks record the last few years and after the minor set up last year when ye totally were the better team down in Cork.

Gary Hurney retired. Surprising really still looked good enough

That's a huge blow for the footballers. Still plenty left in him I would have thought.

You couldn't do anything but praise a guy like him though. He had his fair share of injuries. Gary, and most of the footballers really, put themselves through an awful lot of hardship to wear the Waterford shirt with little or no return.

I personally hope we haven't seen the last of him.

That's a huge blow for the footballers. Still plenty left in him I would have thought.

You couldn't do anything but praise a guy like him though. He had his fair share of injuries. Gary, and most of the footballers really, put themselves through an awful lot of hardship to wear the Waterford shirt with little or no return.

I personally hope we haven't seen the last of him.
    Im sure he played that night in 2003 in the u21 win against cork and then kerry.Great player,very brave and committed and bags of talent.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭blue note

Gary Hurney retired. Surprising really still looked good enough

If he was from Kerry he'd be an All Star. Super footballer.

Im sure he played that night in 2003 in the u21 win against cork and then kerry.Great player,very brave and committed and bags of talent.

No he was minor in 1998 and actually made his senior debut the same year so that will tell u how long hes on the go

• Advertisement

No he was minor in 1998 and actually made his senior debut the same year so that will tell u how long hes on the go

Jesus thats a long time on the go alright.Great player.

their was another hurney that day he was wing back any relation?

their was another hurney that day he was wing back any relation?
    John his brother

Giveitfong wrote: »

Seanie Barry
    Shane Mcnulty, Kevin Daly, Cian Leamy
    Tadhg Bourke, Aussie Gleeson, Kieran Power
    Tom Devine/Colin Dunford, Ray Barry
    Donie Breathnach, Gavin O' Brien, DJ Foran
    Stephen Bennett, Jake Dillon, Jamie Barron

Not a bad team and I'm after leaving out the minor lads along with Shane Roche, Micheal Harney, Mikie Kearney, Kieran Bennett, Cormac Heffernan, Mark O' Brien, Cathal Curran, Seamus Keating, Ryan Donnelly, Darren Foley, William Hahessy and Jim Power. Serious potential this year :)

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭mariano rivera

Gary Hurney was the best footballer Waterford ever had

The best i saw by anyways

Would have been a SHOE in to ANY other senior football team

And i mean ANY other team (Kerry, Dublin, Tyrone etc.)

Gary Hurney was the best footballer Waterford ever had

The best i saw by anyways

Would have been a SHOE in to ANY other senior football team

And i mean ANY other team (Kerry, Dublin, Tyrone etc.)

I remember hearing a story from an acquaintance from another province who was involved with the Inter-Pros.

Ulster were playing Munster, and basically while having a bite to eat after the game they were all wondering "who was number 13". Apparently they couldn't deal with number 13 at all, who turned out to be Gary Hurney.

Seanie Barry

Not a bad team and I'm after leaving out the minor lads along with Shane Roche, Micheal Harney, Mikie Kearney, Kieran Bennett, Cormac Heffernan, Mark O' Brien, Cathal Curran, Seamus Keating, Ryan Donnelly, Darren Foley, William Hahessy and Jim Power. Serious potential this year :)

Jeez dat would be a serious team. I cant ever remember a stronger group at this level. We havent won a munster since 92 and every other munster county has won in the past 6 years... its time for us to win one

Seanie Barry

Jeez dat would be a serious team. I cant ever remember a stronger group at this level. We havent won a munster since 94 and every other munster county has won in the past 6 years... its time for us to win one

Jeez dat would be a serious team. I cant ever remember a stronger group at this level. We havent won a munster since 92 and every other munster county has won in the past 6 years... its time for us to win one
    I'm liking the look of it! and home advantage in the semi final v Cork, Peter Queally and Darragh Duggan will have them well prepared!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Jeez dat would be a serious team. I cant ever remember a stronger group at this level. We havent won a munster since 94 and every other munster county has won in the past 6 years... its time for us to win one

Don't really agree tbh, there are 6 of last years Minors on that team which is far too many, thats 40% of your team U-19.

Tipp won the minor AI in 2012 and only two of those made the first 15 U-21 this year and we still weren't able to compete with Clare.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement