Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2013- Mod Warning Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

Deise_2012 wrote: »
    I'm liking the look of it! and home advantage in the semi final v Cork, Peter Queally and Darragh Duggan will have them well prepared!
    Ye will beat us at home,we will do well to be competitve.Ye would beat us in cork if ye had to.

Clare you would fancy to beat Limerick(tom ryan involved their,another reason to fancy clare)
    Clare and tipp be interesting.Clare have a lot of last years ang going for 3 in a row ,limerick the last to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

Don't really agree tbh, there are 6 of last years Minors on that team which is far too many, thats 40% of your team U-19.

Tipp won the minor AI in 2012 and only two of those made the first 15 U-21 this year and we still weren't able to compete with Clare.
    you could look at Clare's senior team at the start of this year, how many u21s were playing? big step up from u21 to senior level, just like from minor to u21

Ye will beat us at home,we will do well to be competitve.Ye would beat us in cork if ye had to.

Clare you would fancy to beat Limerick(tom ryan involved their,another reason to fancy clare)
    Clare and tipp be interesting.Clare have a lot of last years ang going for 3 in a row ,limerick the last to do it.
    Never write off Cork is what I've learned throughout the years ha

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

you could look at Clare's senior team at the start of this year, how many u21s were playing? big step up from u21 to senior level, just like from minor to u21

Agreed, but for me there is no need to rush all of them enblock I would promote Austin and Bennet, probabaly Daly and maybe Foran at the most. Clares senior teams sucess is very much cherry picking to suit an arguement, they were/are an exception rather than the rule. And I would very much suspect it will be their detrement in a few years but thats for another day :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Agreed, but for me there is no need to rush all of them enblock I would promote Austin and Bennet, probabaly Daly and maybe Foran at the most. Clares senior teams sucess is very much cherry picking to suit an arguement, they were/are an exception rather than the rule. And I would very much suspect it will be their detrement in a few years but thats for another day :D

I think Austin Bennett and Foran are the only ones you could consider as starters and I'd say that's how it will turn out.

Not sure would I be throwing Gleeson in centre back either. These players don't need to be cast straight into the positions with the most responsibility. It's a strong team though but Munster is always competitive at that level.

• Advertisement

I think Austin Bennett and Foran are the only ones you could consider as starters and I'd say that's how it will turn out.

Not sure would I be throwing Gleeson in centre back either. These players don't need to be cast straight into the positions with the most responsibility. It's a strong team though but Munster is always competitive at that level.
    I'd like to see Kevin Daly start full back, he was very strong for Dungarvan in the senior hurling last year he kept Eoin Kelly scoreless and held Pudge Hurney to a point, I think he's well able for a starting place. Otherwise I think it's a waste of a player putting Tadhg Bourke full back, this guy is brilliant and deserves to be playing his best position in the half back line.
    Maybe swap Gleeson with Kieran Power would be a better option too

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

I'd like to see Kevin Daly start full back, he was very strong for Dungarvan in the senior hurling last year he kept Eoin Kelly scoreless and held Pudge Hurney to a point, I think he's well able for a starting place. Otherwise I think it's a waste of a player putting Tadhg Bourke full back, this guy is brilliant and deserves to be playing his best position in the half back line.

Just wanna say I really agree with this. I think he'd left out of the limelight an awful lot just because of fullback being a difficult position. But I thought he was exceptionally good at minor level and very good at club senior and is well worth a run with the u21 and maybe even senior team to see how he gets on

Never write off Cork is what I've learned throughout the years ha
    And that was true in the old days,and I mean no dissrespect to clare or waterford etc but in the old days they were not as stong.Now they are much stronger and as prepared if not better than us.

The days of Cork being Cork and just turning up are long gone.If cork were righty prepared this game could have been a classic,a real nail biter.

I saw enough of queally in youghal to see he brings a good structure,bone,and morale to the set up and I cant even at this early stage see beyond ye winning.

Any of ye going to freshers football league final in Wit tonight DCU V UCC.?

And that was true in the old days,and I mean no dissrespect to clare or waterford etc but in the old days they were not as stong.Now they are much stronger and as prepared if not better than us.

The days of Cork being Cork and just turning up are long gone.If cork were righty prepared this game could have been a classic,a real nail biter.

I saw enough of queally in youghal to see he brings a good structure,bone,and morale to the set up and I cant even at this early stage see beyond ye winning.

Any of ye going to freshers football league final in Wit tonight DCU V UCC.?
    Surely JBM can see the management for the underage teams are not good enough? Would he do anything about it?

I'm not going but one of the Waterford lads is playing centre back for UCC, Brian Looby, top player

Surely JBM can see the management for the underage teams are not good enough? Would he do anything about it?

I'm not going but one of the Waterford lads is playing centre back for UCC, Brian Looby, top player
    heard about him ,he is u21 isnt he.

Jbm has no say in the management ,at underage.Only one man in cork has that.

The minors have a good set up this year.

• Advertisement

Missed the Senior championship really so can't comment. I just think he's a bit green yet. Maybe give him a run but at the moment unless he really shows up I'd be preferring far more experienced lads for the position v Cork.
    deise_girl wrote: »
    Just wanna say I really agree with this. I think he'd left out of the limelight an awful lot just because of fullback being a difficult position. But I thought he was exceptionally good at minor level and very good at club senior and is well worth a run with the u21 and maybe even senior team to see how he gets on

Why didn't he start against Clare, was he injured?

Only games I saw him play were Limerick replay and v Kilkenny. Didn't really see him stand out v Limerick and thought v Kilkenny he was guilty of fouling too much (some might have been soft, ref was cat). Heard he had a good final though. Don't think he'll be anywhere near the Senior team and rightly so for the moment.

Too green to be thinking about the likes of Joe Canning, Richie Hogan and Lar Corbett. Full back moreso than any position requires experience and that is why it tends to be occupied by more experienced players and takes longer for players to break into that position

• Registered Users Posts: 36 courty08

heard about him ,he is u21 isnt he.

Jbm has no say in the management ,at underage.Only one man in cork has that.

The minors have a good set up this year.

Brian Looby is minor

courty08 wrote: »
    Brian Looby is minor

I thought he would be this year.
    It shows how good he is to make the ucc team.

Brian Looby is minor
    2013 was his last year in minor

• Registered Users Posts: 36 courty08

2013 was his last year in minor

Which makes him minor until December 31st :)

haha

I meant u21 as he will never play minor for the county again but will be an U21 .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

Why didn't he start against Clare, was he injured?

Only games I saw him play were Limerick replay and v Kilkenny. Didn't really see him stand out v Limerick and thought v Kilkenny he was guilty of fouling too much (some might have been soft, ref was cat). Heard he had a good final though. Don't think he'll be anywhere near the Senior team and rightly so for the moment.

Too green to be thinking about the likes of Joe Canning, Richie Hogan and Lar Corbett. Full back moreso than any position requires experience and that is why it tends to be occupied by more experienced players and takes longer for players to break into that position

Nope he wasnt starting as he just wasnt fancied. O'neill from erins own was the full back earlier on in the minor chship. Kevin is very much a late developer dodnt actually make tony forristal or sonny walsh squad at u14. Also he is only doing his leaving next year so to be talking about him for waterford seniors is ludicrous

robopaddy wrote: »
    Nope he wasnt starting as he just wasnt fancied. O'neill from erins own was the full back earlier on in the minor chship. Kevin is very much a late developer dodnt actually make tony forristal or sonny walsh squad at u14. Also he is only doing his leaving next year so to be talking about him for waterford seniors is ludicrous

Yeah but he was captain so they obviously saw something in him. Did he start against Tipp, wing back or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Yeah but he was captain so they obviously saw something in him. Did he start against Tipp, wing back or something?

He was and he was poor, but O'Neill at FB got an awfull roasting that night off Josh Keane, think he scored 2-8 0r 2-9 off him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

Seanie Barry
    Shane Mcnulty, Kevin Daly, Cian Leamy
    Tadhg Bourke, Aussie Gleeson, Kieran Power
    Tom Devine/Colin Dunford, Ray Barry
    Donie Breathnach, Gavin O' Brien, DJ Foran
    Stephen Bennett, Jake Dillon, Jamie Barron

Not a bad team and I'm after leaving out the minor lads along with Shane Roche, Micheal Harney, Mikie Kearney, Kieran Bennett, Cormac Heffernan, Mark O' Brien, Cathal Curran, Seamus Keating, Ryan Donnelly, Darren Foley, William Hahessy and Jim Power. Serious potential this year :)

I would be thinking Kieran Bennett (good utility player) and Shane Roche (who did well against Clare this year) at corner back with Shane McNulty at wing back and Kieran Power in the centre. Move Austin Gleeson to centre forward and Gavin O'Brien to midfield instead of Tom Devine/Colin Dunford. Whatever way you look at it, barring injuries (which killed us this year) we should have a good line-up with good reserves, if we can get them to perform on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭cleaboy boy

Anybody know if the new Waterford jersey is on sale today in sports stores around the city and county?

Giveitfong wrote: »
    I would be thinking Kieran Bennett (good utility player) and Shane Roche (who did well against Clare this year) at corner back with Shane McNulty at wing back and Kieran Power in the centre. Move Austin Gleeson to centre forward and Gavin O'Brien to midfield instead of Tom Devine/Colin Dunford. Whatever way you look at it, barring injuries (which killed us this year) we should have a good line-up with good reserves, if we can get them to perform on the day.
    We're gonna have a fallen out over this

• Registered Users Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Have the seniors any challenge game this weekend?

Cake Man wrote: »
    Have the seniors any challenge game this weekend?
    I wouldn't imagine so between some of the players having exams and the u21 county final is on sunday!

I wouldn't imagine so between some of the players having exams and the u21 county final is on sunday!

Cheers, that's fair enough so. The u21 final should be a good one, hopefully it'll stay dry and make for a decent game. Would just about give the nod to DLS to come through but hard to call.

Cheers, that's fair enough so. The u21 final should be a good one, hopefully it'll stay dry and make for a decent game. Would just about give the nod to DLS to come through but hard to call.
    Who is in that lads?when and where?

Many lads involved that will be on the shake up for next years intercounty u21 panel?

Who is in that lads?when and where?

Many lads involved that will be on the shake up for next years intercounty u21 panel?

DLS v Lismore Sunday at 1.30 Walsh park.
    DLS will have Jake Dillon, Shane McNulty, Eoin Madigan, Lismore will have the Bennett's, Ray and Seanie Barry, Paudie Prendergast to name a few that should all be u21 for waterford next year.

DLS v Lismore Sunday at 1.30 Walsh park.
    DLS will have Jake Dillon, Shane McNulty, Eoin Madigan, Lismore will have the Bennett's, Ray and Seanie Barry, Paudie Prendergast to name a few that should all be u21 for waterford next year.

Paudie Prender will be overage next year, would also fancy Lismore for this myself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

Youd have to fancy lismore given the form stephen bennett is in.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement