Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2013- Mod Warning Post #1

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Anybody know if the new Waterford jersey is on sale today in sports stores around the city and county?

https://twitter.com/GerWyleysports/status/411830807444340736

As of today, Ger Wyleys have it in stock!

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Hslaw

Cake Man wrote: »
    DLS v Lismore Sunday at 1.30 Walsh park.
    DLS will have Jake Dillon, Shane McNulty, Eoin Madigan, Lismore will have the Bennett's, Ray and Seanie Barry, Paudie Prendergast to name a few that should all be u21 for waterford next year.

two great teams there. with lots of potential should be a cracker

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

Cake Man wrote: »
    DLS v Lismore Sunday at 1.30 Walsh park.
    DLS will have Jake Dillon, Shane McNulty, Eoin Madigan, Lismore will have the Bennett's, Ray and Seanie Barry, Paudie Prendergast to name a few that should all be u21 for waterford next year.
    Is that still going ahead with the weather tommorrow?.Im half tempted to go to it,as a tournament in football in cork got postponed.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭IanVW

Is that still going ahead with the weather tommorrow?.Im half tempted to go to it,as a tournament in football in cork got postponed.

Still going ahead so far

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

De La Salle 3-13 St Carthages 1-4, anyone at the game, were DLS that good or Lismore that poor?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Lismore were awful, DLS did well and their defence were always on top, Lismore couldn't get anything into Bennett.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭thesaturdayman

lismore and a few of their u21s seem to be a bit too hyped up, got absolutely schooled today by dls. there seems to be a lot of hype going with a lot of them & to be honest they havent even come close to delivering on it yet....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

lismore and a few of their u21s seem to be a bit too hyped up, got absolutely schooled today by dls. there seems to be a lot of hype going with a lot of them & to be honest they havent even come close to delivering on it yet....
    bit harsh, it can happen teams just don't show up on the day. There's no doubt Ray & Seanie Barry are top class, can't fault the Bennetts they've been brilliant all year

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Hslaw

Deise_2012 wrote: »
    De La Salle 3-13 St Carthages 1-4, anyone at the game, were DLS that good or Lismore that poor?

Jaysus that was unexpected. Didn't expect any of the teams to get trashed. Taught it was going to be a tight game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

robopaddy wrote: »
    Youd have to fancy lismore given the form stephen bennett is in.

Jaysus I Wont make a bookie anyway haha

A minor and u21 double for dls this year..

Future is bright for them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭seananigans

http://thescore.thejournal.ie/waterford-2013-highlights-1202367-Dec2013/

11 of Waterford’s best sporting moments in 2013

The blah, a great sporting moment lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2 HellsKitchen

Is the Dls goalie u21 again next year? Very solid n safe again sunday. Pity about the conditions as dls were clearly better suited to them. Young bennett just didnt get enough supply of ball

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

IanVW wrote: »
    The blah, a great sporting moment lol

Clearly you've never been to the afters of a training session for basically any sport in Waterford? ;)

fricatus wrote: »
    Clearly you've never been to the afters of a training session for basically any sport in Waterford? ;)

Ive been to plenty! Hardly what you'd call a sporting moment:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭blue note

A fair list. I'd certainly give Kelly Proper 1 anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭mariano rivera

From Examiner.ie

"Addressing delegates, Cunningham said: “Our finances have turned around this year whereas in 2012 we were in a deficit of €212,000. This year, due to a lot of hard work, our deficit is down to €2,700. As I said in my address last year, we needed to put in place a budget for each team, which we did, and put more fundraising activities put in place.”

Auditor Maurice Fitzgerald opened the meeting with a detailed breakdown of the accounts. He said total indebtedness of the board stood at €532,801. This marked a dip of €67,267 on the 2012 figure of €600,068. In this year’s returns, the county increased their income by €161,000, including gains of €73,701 from fundraising. They reduced expenditure by €49,000. Spending on inter-county teams dropped from €534,715 in 2012 to €498,356 in 2013. "

Can somebody explain the above. The Chairman says that the deficit is down to $2,700 but that total indebtedness of the board stood at €532,801

??

confused

So, are they in debt or are they in debt?

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭shoddy14

From Examiner.ie

"Addressing delegates, Cunningham said: “Our finances have turned around this year whereas in 2012 we were in a deficit of €212,000. This year, due to a lot of hard work, our deficit is down to €2,700. As I said in my address last year, we needed to put in place a budget for each team, which we did, and put more fundraising activities put in place.”

Auditor Maurice Fitzgerald opened the meeting with a detailed breakdown of the accounts. He said total indebtedness of the board stood at €532,801. This marked a dip of €67,267 on the 2012 figure of €600,068. In this year’s returns, the county increased their income by €161,000, including gains of €73,701 from fundraising. They reduced expenditure by €49,000. Spending on inter-county teams dropped from €534,715 in 2012 to €498,356 in 2013. "

Can somebody explain the above. The Chairman says that the deficit is down to $2,700 but that total indebtedness of the board stood at €532,801

??

confused

Pretty straight forward. For the financial year 2013 they took in 2,700 less than they spent. However, they owe 532,801 in total due to all the losses theyve made over the past number of years

From Examiner.ie

??

confused

The surplus / deficit is the amount of money that the county makes / loses in a year. In 2012 we lost €212,000 compared to 2013 where we lost €2,700 (effectively we broke even). To be fair that turnaround is a massive achievement.

The total indebtedness is how much the county owes, so in 2012 we paid off €67,267 and the outstanding debt is €532,801.

I'm sure there are plenty more details, but that's basically what it means.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Black Suir

robopaddy wrote: »
    Jeez dat would be a serious team. I cant ever remember a stronger group at this level. We havent won a munster since 92 and every other munster county has won in the past 6 years... its time for us to win one

did Waterford not win munster in 94 or am I mistaken. I know they were in a few minor finals around that time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

blue note wrote: »
    The surplus / deficit is the amount of money that the county makes / loses in a year. In 2012 we lost €212,000 compared to 2013 where we lost €2,700 (effectively we broke even). To be fair that turnaround is a massive achievement.

The total indebtedness is how much the county owes, so in 2012 we paid off €67,267 and the outstanding debt is €532,801.

Does that mean the County Board made a before-debt profit surplus of €64,567 but after servicing the debt (€67,267) it became a deficit of €2,700?

Black Suir wrote: »
    did Waterford not win munster in 94 or am I mistaken. I know they were in a few minor finals around that time.

Yep, beat Clare in the final. Got absolutely hockeyed by Kilkenny in the All-Ireland semi-final.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Black Suir

I don't know where Darragh is coming from when he says Waterford under achieved under Michael Ryan. If anything they over achieved. The two years he was in charge, Waterford were written off in the league. The first year they did have a lucky escape but the change of selectors half way through the league saved them. This year Waterford went into the last game in the league on top of the table, and missed out on a semi final place because of the defeat to Galway. In the Championship in 2012 Waterford reached the Munster Final, where they put up a much better performance against Tipp than they did 12 months earlier when they got hammered, maybe Waterford most embarrassing defeat ever, with Davy Fitz over the team who some believed to be some sort of God, and who believe he is an even greater person now after managing Clare this year to the All-Ireland. This year in the Championship, Waterford took on Kilkenny and put up our best performance against them in the championship since 1959. Some would say that had John Mullane be involved with the side this year Waterford would have beaten Kilkenny. Maybe they could, but Stephen Molumphy was an even greater loss. To say that the team are under no greater pressure to win in 2014 is a BS. After the players ousted Michael Ryan the way they did, just as the 08 panel did with Justin (who I believe should have stepped down of his own accord at the end of 07), many Waterford supporters will be looking to the Waterford players to justify the move they made, just as they did in 08, where for Waterford reaching the All-Ireland was a must for most fans after the ousting of Justin.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/fives-expects-deise-to-sparkle-in-2014-253014.html

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭carter10

Correct, beat Clare by a goal. 1-12 to 0-12

In fairness to Darragh Fives, he's never going to say otherwise. Why would any sportsperson say anything other than nice things about the incumbent? Unless you were out to cause trouble...

deiseach wrote: »
    Does that mean the County Board made a before-debt profit surplus of €64,567 but after servicing the debt (€67,267) it became a deficit of €2,700?

No, but you're not far wrong thinking about it like that.

It means that the county made a loss of €2,700 which would include the cost of the loan i.e. the interest added to the loan over the year. If we had a loan of €600,000 and the interest rate was 6%, the cost of the loan was €36,000, so we would have made a profit of €33,000 if we didn't have to service the debt.

Paying off a loan doesn't impact on a deficit / surplus.

The €600k debt probably includes more types of creditors than just a loan, so the cost of servicing the debt could be quite a bit smaller. However, at the end of the day eliminating a massive deficit and reducing the amount the county owes by €60,000 in one year is a great achievement and deserves credit. We, myself included, knock them often enough.

No, but you're not far wrong thinking about it like that.

It means that the county made a loss of €2,700 which would include the cost of the loan i.e. the interest added to the loan over the year. If we had a loan of €600,000 and the interest rate was 6%, the cost of the loan was €36,000, so we would have made a profit of €33,000 if we didn't have to service the debt.

Paying off a loan doesn't impact on a deficit / surplus.

The €600k debt probably includes more types of creditors than just a loan, so the cost of servicing the debt could be quite a bit smaller. However, at the end of the day eliminating a massive deficit and reducing the amount the county owes by €60,000 in one year is a great achievement and deserves credit. We, myself included, knock them often enough.

Thanks for the explanation. Bottom line - it's good news. And sales of the Minor DVD won't do any harm to that bottom line!

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭carter10

I don't know where Darragh is coming from when he says Waterford under achieved under Michael Ryan. If anything they over achieved. The two years he was in charge, Waterford were written off in the league. The first year they did have a lucky escape but the change of selectors half way through the league saved them. This year Waterford went into the last game in the league on top of the table, and missed out on a semi final place because of the defeat to Galway. In the Championship in 2012 Waterford reached the Munster Final, where they put up a much better performance against Tipp than they did 12 months earlier when they got hammered, maybe Waterford most embarrassing defeat ever, with Davy Fitz over the team who some believed to be some sort of God, and who believe he is an even greater person now after managing Clare this year to the All-Ireland. This year in the Championship, Waterford took on Kilkenny and put up our best performance against them in the championship since 1959. Some would say that had John Mullane be involved with the side this year Waterford would have beaten Kilkenny. Maybe they could, but Stephen Molumphy was an even greater loss. To say that the team are under no greater pressure to win in 2014 is a BS. After the players ousted Michael Ryan the way they did, just as the 08 panel did with Justin (who I believe should have stepped down of his own accord at the end of 07), many Waterford supporters will be looking to the Waterford players to justify the move they made, just as they did in 08, where for Waterford reaching the All-Ireland was a must for most fans after the ousting of Justin.

For gods sake, does this issue have to be dragged up again? Really

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭alllcounty

carter10 wrote: »
    For gods sake, does this issue have to be dragged up again? Really

He was responding to an article in todays Irish Examiner that didn't give an accurate reflection of the last 2 years and he has every right to do so.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

deiseach wrote: »

That's what I'm wondering too Deiseach, and did the deficit the year before include the servicing of debts too and if so how did the figures compare? I guess it would be constant. That's pretty good though, keep going at the rate and they will eventually overcome that debt.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement