Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2013- Mod Warning Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

hardybuck wrote: »
    Ah lads. I know a handful of ye feel really strongly about this, but it's been discussed to death at this stage, and going in circles.

I agree.What's done is done.I don't agree with what happened but it happened.It's time to give Derek McGrath his full support and there's plenty of talent coming through the ranks for him to work with.I would be very wary of facing a Waterford team with a point to prove after the hassle a few months ago and they also have the revenge factor from our last championship meeting against them with them as well but we welcome the challenge and usually it's a great game of hurling when Cork play Waterford.Im saying no more about Michael Ryan from now on!As for the new jersey i have to say i like it.I think it's Waterfords nicest jersey since the one they wore in the 2001 2002 and 2003 championships.

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭dzilla

the fit don't look great, sleeves look a bit light

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭seananigans

• Registered Users Posts: 32 culbaire666

With all the money after been spent on Walsh Park it makes sense to hold all our home games in the City.Also I think the new jersey looks like the old Everton jersey from the 80's

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭dk1982

Black Suir wrote: »
    Where would Ma Utd be today if they had sacked Sir Alex after two years when he won nothing. It took him four years to win something. You will have some saying now that Man Utd are a big club and they would still be challenging, but they were a big club as well in the 70's when they played in Division 2.

Did you really just call him "Sir Alex"? You're watching too much Sky Sports chief.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Black Suir

deiseach wrote: »
    Both our home games in Walsh Park? Cue ructions :D

Waterford GAA County Board are the laughing stock of the GAA today and prove that the GAA does in fact the Grab All Association.

On the day that Waterford play Dublin in the NHL in Walsh Park (2-30pm) at 12-45pm the footballers play London in Fraher Field. This could only happen in Waterford. Each year, one hurling game is played in Fraher Field, the rest of the home games in Walsh Park. Why could they not play the two games in Fraher Field. Last year when Waterford had our two teams playing at home on the one day, the football game against Offaly was moved to the WIT Campus, charging fans who wanted to attend both games twice if they wanted to see the both games. If Waterford were to play the football game at WIT or Walsh Park, tradition tells us that their support will be very poor, where as if the game was in Fraher Field the game would attract a few hundred supporters if the weather was any where fair at all. The hurling game against Dublin regardless of what some in the city will say, will attract an attendance of 2 to 3 thousand regardless as to weather it is in Walsh Park or Fraher Field. The obvious thing for the GAA to do would be to play both games in Fraher Field, they could charge a higher entrance fee, therefore getting a bigger share of the gate when the receipts are shared out that they would if they had the football in Walsh Park or WIT or even as a double header in Walsh Park. But I suppose we are talking the Waterford Co Board and they are not in need of any extra money they can get, because we are loaded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

Where would Ma Utd be today if they had sacked Sir Alex after two years when he won nothing. It took him four years to win something. You will have some saying now that Man Utd are a big club and they would still be challenging, but they were a big club as well in the 70's when they played in Division 2.

Ah yes the old 'alex ferguson never won anything for 4 years' argument. Was only a matter of tim before the skully brigade would be making comparisions.

Waterford GAA County Board are the laughing stock of the GAA today and prove that the GAA does in fact the Grab All Association.

On the day that Waterford play Dublin in the NHL in Walsh Park (2-30pm) at 12-45pm the footballers play London in Fraher Field. This could only happen in Waterford. Each year, one hurling game is played in Fraher Field, the rest of the home games in Walsh Park. Why could they not play the two games in Fraher Field. Last year when Waterford had our two teams playing at home on the one day, the football game against Offaly was moved to the WIT Campus, charging fans who wanted to attend both games twice if they wanted to see the both games. If Waterford were to play the football game at WIT or Walsh Park, tradition tells us that their support will be very poor, where as if the game was in Fraher Field the game would attract a few hundred supporters if the weather was any where fair at all. The hurling game against Dublin regardless of what some in the city will say, will attract an attendance of 2 to 3 thousand regardless as to weather it is in Walsh Park or Fraher Field. The obvious thing for the GAA to do would be to play both games in Fraher Field, they could charge a higher entrance fee, therefore getting a bigger share of the gate when the receipts are shared out that they would if they had the football in Walsh Park or WIT or even as a double header in Walsh Park. But I suppose we are talking the Waterford Co Board and they are not in need of any extra money they can get, because we are loaded.

Have the co board ever come out and give reasons for why they do this

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭alllcounty

robopaddy wrote: »
    Ah yes the old 'alex ferguson never won anything for 4 years' argument. Was only a matter of tim before the skully brigade would be making comparisions.

Aren't you a lovely yoke. The reality is he was doing a very good job rebuilding the team and getting them to play a postive style of hurling. He was a good genuine person with no ego and didn't deserve to be cast aside with no explaination given. What happened was not right and I think it is very shameful for people like you and others to now be putting the foot in. The management team and supporters like me who by the way was very happy with the way the team was progeressing deserved better than what has gone on in the last number of months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

I've not even read most of what's been said but I can scarcely believe the reaction to a nothing article.

Think looking forward to the new year and a new challenge on the back of last year which gave renewed hope to so many teams would be the way to go about things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭parish girl

As far as I know London V Waterford is on in Walsh Park as part of double header

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Brick Walsh 2014 Waterford captain.

Jake Dillon vice captain.

While I admire the progress the lad has made in the last year, and he's a fantastic hurler, I think that's a lot of pressure to be putting on someone in there second year with the County. You could argue he's not even nailed down a place 100% yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

While I admire the progress the lad has made in the last year, and he's a fantastic hurler, I think that's a lot of pressure to be putting on someone in there second year with the County. You could argue he's not even nailed down a place 100% yet.
    Whaaaaaaaat, that's crazy imo. as you said that's too much pressure for a 21 year old, why not just go for Stevie Molumphy or Kevin Moran

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭IanVW

Deise_2012 wrote: »
    Whaaaaaaaat, that's crazy imo. as you said that's too much pressure for a 21 year old, why not just go for Stevie Molumphy or Kevin Moran

Is molomphy back on the panel for next year? Stephen daniels back training?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Brick good choice but I'd agree Dillon for vice captain is strange, he's a great talent but not even a guaranteed starter. Best if luck to the lads tho, I'm right behind them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

IanVW wrote: »
    No idea about the 2 of them! 2 top class additions when they are available though

While I admire the progress the lad has made in the last year, and he' a fantastic hurler, I think that's a lot of pressure to be putting on someone in there second year with the County. You could argue he's not even nailed down a place 100% yet.

I think its a good idea. Something different and its telling young lads like dillon that it is time for the likes of himself maurice shan and paudie mahony to step up and start carrying the mantle in the forwards. The days of waiting around for mullane to do it are gone. It irkes me a little when people say we dont have scoring forwards, we have plenty coming through but they just havent stepped up to the plate yet and maybe its a little bit of a push they need.

to be fair vice captain dosent really involve a whole lot anyway so I dont see that big a burden and if anything some of these lads need a bit of pressure to kick on.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭HillFarmer

IanVW wrote: »

I thought Daniels was outstanding before he got injured, hope hes available this year, will make big competition for places IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

HillFarmer wrote: »
    I thought Daniels was outstanding before he got injured, hope hes available this year, will make big competition for places IMO
    Agreed. Definitely was Man of the match against Clare in Ennis this year.
    I must say im baffled by the hatred thing that seems to be going on here with some of the posters,still fighting Scullys corner and only waiting for the McGrath reign to self destruct so as to have a pop at both he and the players. Not true supporters if that's the case. But i will give ye food for thought on this over the xmas- Ye do realise Scully was one of the main instigators of having Justin removed,ringing players the day after that Clare game telling them"Justin has to go",thinking even then that he would get the job which not one of the players at that time even considered.
    And finally surely he will get the DLS job again this year having done such a great job there the last time wouldn't you think?!!! I suppose what goes around comes around!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭The blue blaa

I don't think it's a bad choice having Jake as vice captain while I wouldn't of picked him myself if you gave me 3 picks but look he's our vice captain now which doesnt mean nothing lets be honest but maybe considering he's the U21 captain for the year ahead this played a part in the decision considering the abundance of youth coming through it sends out a signal to younger players that your not just here for the sake of making up a 30 man panel and your time will come sooner then you may have expected.He's a great leader in fairness which was there to be seen in his recent club success with DLS U21 also against Clare this year U21 he nearly bet them on his own an we know how good they were. Lads on here saying he won't be starting I think are completely wrong he can play anywhere on the field from 8-15 it's by no means a bad thing..

On a side note Scully is a pure gent from my experience he'd do whatever he could for you I wish him well. you would go far to meet nicer but unfortunately he's gone now in far from ideal circumstances but we need to move on from this an be behind the team coming into January

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭deisedude

cul beag wrote: »
    I must say im baffled by the hatred thing that seems to be going on here with some of the posters,still fighting Scullys corner and only waiting for the McGrath reign to self destruct so as to have a pop at both he and the players. Not true supporters if that's the case. But i will give ye food for thought on this over the xmas- Ye do realise Scully was one of the main instigators of having Justin removed,ringing players the day after that Clare game telling them"Justin has to go",thinking even then that he would get the job which not one of the players at that time even considered.
    And finally surely he will get the DLS job again this year having done such a great job there the last time wouldn't you think?!!! I suppose what goes around comes around!!!

You go on about hatred and then the rest of your post is a pot shot at Scully. Moronic

I can tell you straight up now the story you made up about him trying to get rid of Justin is more lies that ye have made up. He is the total opposite of the current manager we now have. If there was somone managing a team he would never interfere or contact players and let it be known he would go for the job if the players organised a meeting to vote against the current management. That cannot be said for the current manager who has been planning and plotting behind the senes ever since Ryan got the waterford job and was mad to take over from him just like he did at DLS. If this is the road you want to go then get your facts straight and dont be making up more lies. Also like I have already said I will be supporting my county regardless who is managing the team. Explain to me how that is not been a true supporter.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

alllcounty wrote: »
    I can tell you straight up now the story you made up about him trying to get rid of Justin is more lies that ye have made up. He is the total opposite of the current manager we now have. If there was somone managing a team he would never interfere or contact players and let it be known he would go for the job if the players organised a meeting to vote against the current management. That cannot be said for the current manager who has been planning and plotting behind the senes ever since Ryan got the waterford job and was mad to take over from him just like he did at DLS. If this is the road you want to go then get your facts straight and dont be making up more lies. Also like I have already said I will be supporting my county regardless who is managing the team. Explain to me how that is not been a true supporter.
    Sorry now but its not lies but you might consult some of that panel to see if im lying. You still didn't answer my question about him going back to DLS he did such a good job there the last time?Ive nothing against the man and he did a fine job in the circumstances but please don't anoint him without seeing the whole picture. Lies? I'm afraid not and i can prove it so! But lets move on and get behind that demon McGrath cos if he's as good as you say at the planning and plotting we'll definitely win the All Ireland!!

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭HillFarmer

Right lads, Time to draw a line under last year and look forward to next year.

We all have our own views.

I for one am excited about hurling in Waterford, lets get behind the lads we have and see how we get on in the league.

Sorry now but its not lies but you might consult some of that panel to see if im lying. You still didn't answer my question about him going back to DLS he did such a good job there the last time?Ive nothing against the man and he did a fine job in the circumstances but please don't anoint him without seeing the whole picture. Lies? I'm afraid not and i can prove it so! But lets move on and get behind that demon McGrath cos if he's as good as you say at the planning and plotting we'll definitely win the All Ireland!!

If he wanted the job at that time like you say then why was his name not mentioned at the time. The names floating around at the time were Nicky English, Liam Griffen, Donal O'Grady, John Allen and Davy Fitzgerald. Liam wasn't available due to work commitments, Nicky said he couldn't manage against Tipp and so it was Paddy Joe Ryan the former county chairman and clubmate and friend of Michael Ryan that went and got in contact with Davy. If this story you made up was true then why was Ryan's name not mentioned and why did the county chairman not seek him out. Unlucky Cul Beag nice try, maybe you can come up with something else.

You still didn't answer my question about him going back to DLS he did such a good job there the last time?Ive nothing against the man and he did a fine job in the circumstances but please don't anoint him without seeing the whole picture. But lets move on and get behind that demon McGrath cos if he's as good as you say at the planning and plotting we'll definitely win the All Ireland!!

He did a better job there than this years lad. They should and very easily could have been the first waterford club team to be club all ireland champions. Do you not remember the all ireland semi against Clarinbridge who they themselves went on and hammered the kilkenny champs in the final. That was one of the best games of hurling I have ever seen, it went to extra time and they got a goal in the last seconds to snatch victory. Ryan was manager then. Now compare that to the messing around by DLS in this years club championship, putting an injured Mullane midfield, putting their wing back, the bull in full forward, taking him off and then back on and not having a clue what to do. Is this where we are heading.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

Can we move things on a bit as the current debate is going around in circles.

Are any challenge games planned for early Jan?

Having been to the Antrim games, more questions were asked really than answered. One reason for this was the open early season nature of the games. Fellas could be beaten to 3 balls and then look good by scoring from the fourth. I did think Stephen O Keeffe looked good, one save very early was particularly good. He's becoming more vocal and commanding for Ballygunner and I hope this translates to Waterford. I think playing Ian O Regan against Clare was a big mistake that seems to have been forgotten.

How old is Tadhg Bourke? Half back has actually become more of an issue for Waterford so to see a guy come through would be welcome. Shane Sullivan played there against Antrim but I'd rather him further up and I also feel Jamie Nagle plays best at midfield. Barry Coughlan was very impressive in the club championship last year, less so against Antrim but he'll get more chances. As Aidan Kearney seems to be finished it would be nice to get another corner back player blooded. Shane & Darragh Fives, Stephen Daniels and Paidi Prendergast have all done well there but all could move further up, or Shane may move full back.

Eddie Barrett has a great attitude and work rate in midfield but he possibly needs to add a bit more hurling. I'm not sure himself and Stephen Molumphy could both be accommodated as Molumphy already performs that role.

Further up it was good to see Gavin O Brien move more freely than I had seen him all year. Stephen Roche also looked good without providing the finishes some of his work deserved. I would prefer him to Brian O Sullivan however. Donie Breathnach and Ryan Donnelly also showed flashes, maybe Breathnach could be more suited to wing forward and it may be a year too soon for Donnelly but both have promise. Killian Fitzgerald has improved significantly over the last year. A bit more and he could have a role to play. I'd also like if a clear role was determined for Ray Barry. He's a very good player but he can't be expected to be both a half back and a corner forward.

Two more players I'd like to see get a chance in the forwards would be Gavin Crotty and Eamonn Murphy. I have avoided mentioning any of the minors as I feel it's too much to ask any of them to make an impact next year at senior. I also left out the likes of Michael Walsh, Jake Dillon, Kevin Moran, Maurice Shanahan, Noel Connors, Shane Walsh (if fit) etc as these guys are established.

In terms of expectations, it's tough to say. Obviously a league quarter final would be nice but relegation is not the end of the world. Cork may not have got the league format they wanted but they got a quarter final for the top 4 teams in 1B. It could actually work in a teams favour being there as you are guaranteed a tough game in April after a few to experiment. I think Waterford just need to take a scalp in the championship, one of Cork, Clare, Limerick, Dublin, Tipperary, Kilkenny or Galway. As its stands Waterford are below each of them in the betting.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭blue note

I think Waterford just need to take a scalp in the championship, one of Cork, Clare, Limerick, Dublin, Tipperary, Kilkenny or Galway. As its stands Waterford are below each of them in the betting.

I wouldn't worry about where we are according to Paddy Power.

You do know that there was moves to oust Justin well before the Clare game. A member of the backroom team went to Justin in the spring of 08 to tell him that the players were not happy but he was not ready to listen.

• Advertisement

alllcounty wrote: »
    If he wanted the job at that time like you say then why was his name not mentioned at the time. The names floating around at the time were Nicky English, Liam Griffen, Donal O'Grady, John Allen and Davy Fitzgerald. Liam wasn't available due to work commitments, Nicky said he couldn't manage against Tipp and so it was Paddy Joe Ryan the former county chairman and clubmate and friend of Michael Ryan that went and got in contact with Davy. If this story you made up was true then why was Ryan's name not mentioned and why did the county chairman not seek him out. Unlucky Cul Beag nice try, maybe you can come up with something else.

They are also closely related. As far as I know Paddy Joe's Father and Michael's Mother are brother and sister, but stand to be corrected on this. It could be that Paddy Joe's sister is married to a brother of Mickey Skully's mother. There is some connection anyway.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement