Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2013- Mod Warning Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

cul beag wrote: »
    Agreed. Definitely was Man of the match against Clare in Ennis this year.
    I must say im baffled by the hatred thing that seems to be going on here with some of the posters,still fighting Scullys corner and only waiting for the McGrath reign to self destruct so as to have a pop at both he and the players. Not true supporters if that's the case. But i will give ye food for thought on this over the xmas- Ye do realise Scully was one of the main instigators of having Justin removed,ringing players the day after that Clare game telling them"Justin has to go",thinking even then that he would get the job which not one of the players at that time even considered.
    And finally surely he will get the DLS job again this year having done such a great job there the last time wouldn't you think?!!! I suppose what goes around comes around!!!

I don't think that's the case at all that people are waiting for Derek McGrath to fail and i think that's just petty point scoring on your part.Sure people were waiting for Michael Ryan to fail from day one anyway!That insinuation is also very insulting towards other passionate Waterford supporters who just happened to take a different stance on the matter than yourself.I think you can still be behind the team and also be baffled over all that controversy a few months ago at the same time.You talk about people eager to have a pop at people and then you start making slanderous allegations about Michael Ryan.I apologise because i said i would never speak about this again but posts like that just have to be countered.

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

Can we move things on a bit as the current debate is going around in circles.

Are any challenge games planned for early Jan?

Having been to the Antrim games, more questions were asked really than answered. One reason for this was the open early season nature of the games. Fellas could be beaten to 3 balls and then look good by scoring from the fourth. I did think Stephen O Keeffe looked good, one save very early was particularly good. He's becoming more vocal and commanding for Ballygunner and I hope this translates to Waterford. I think playing Ian O Regan against Clare was a big mistake that seems to have been forgotten.

How old is Tadhg Bourke? Half back has actually become more of an issue for Waterford so to see a guy come through would be welcome. Shane Sullivan played there against Antrim but I'd rather him further up and I also feel Jamie Nagle plays best at midfield. Barry Coughlan was very impressive in the club championship last year, less so against Antrim but he'll get more chances. As Aidan Kearney seems to be finished it would be nice to get another corner back player blooded. Shane & Darragh Fives, Stephen Daniels and Paidi Prendergast have all done well there but all could move further up, or Shane may move full back.

Eddie Barrett has a great attitude and work rate in midfield but he possibly needs to add a bit more hurling. I'm not sure himself and Stephen Molumphy could both be accommodated as Molumphy already performs that role.

Further up it was good to see Gavin O Brien move more freely than I had seen him all year. Stephen Roche also looked good without providing the finishes some of his work deserved. I would prefer him to Brian O Sullivan however. Donie Breathnach and Ryan Donnelly also showed flashes, maybe Breathnach could be more suited to wing forward and it may be a year too soon for Donnelly but both have promise. Killian Fitzgerald has improved significantly over the last year. A bit more and he could have a role to play. I'd also like if a clear role was determined for Ray Barry. He's a very good player but he can't be expected to be both a half back and a corner forward.

Two more players I'd like to see get a chance in the forwards would be Gavin Crotty and Eamonn Murphy. I have avoided mentioning any of the minors as I feel it's too much to ask any of them to make an impact next year at senior. I also left out the likes of Michael Walsh, Jake Dillon, Kevin Moran, Maurice Shanahan, Noel Connors, Shane Walsh (if fit) etc as these guys are established.

In terms of expectations, it's tough to say. Obviously a league quarter final would be nice but relegation is not the end of the world. Cork may not have got the league format they wanted but they got a quarter final for the top 4 teams in 1B. It could actually work in a teams favour being there as you are guaranteed a tough game in April after a few to experiment. I think Waterford just need to take a scalp in the championship, one of Cork, Clare, Limerick, Dublin, Tipperary, Kilkenny or Galway. As its stands Waterford are below each of them in the betting.

Well i think the winners of the first round match in the first round championship match can launch an assault on the munster title but it's not the end of the world for the losers.The main thing is to make sure that your in the all ireland quarter finals.However i would prefer to go win the munster title and go through the front door if at all possible!As for the league structure i said here a while ago to leave it as it is.That the county board in Cork should be focusing on the more important issues that they are neglecting.Limerick also wanted the structure changed but their escaping any criticism!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

Black Suir wrote: »
    They are also closely related. As far as I know Paddy Joe's Father and Michael's Mother are brother and sister, but stand to be corrected on this. It could be that Paddy Joe's sister is married to a brother of Mickey Skully's mother. There is some connection anyway.

For crying out loud can we drop this

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭HillFarmer

Early days but can you give me your starting 15 for Cork in the Summer.

heres my first cut,

O'Keefe

Daniels Lawlor Connors
    Moran Brick Fives
    Molumphy Shane O Sullivan
    Pender M Shan J Dillion
    P Mahony R Barry B O Sullivan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 kerrrBLAHHH

This is turning into a cycle of doom...
    Eat
    Sleep
    Bitch
    Repeat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭The blue blaa

I'd be surprised to see Daniels ready for May/June he's still not over the knee injury fully yet so he's up against it.. Your full forward line are a little bit light but other then that not a bad team at all..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭blue note

HillFarmer wrote: »

heres my first cut,

O'Keefe

Daniels Lawlor Connors
    Moran Brick Fives
    Pender M Shan J Dillion

How could you leave out Shane Walsh? Probably still our best scoring forward.

I'd suggest

O'Keeffe

Fives Lawlor Connors
    Nagle Brick Daniels
    Moran Fives
    Maurice Sully Molumphy
    Dillon Walsh Barron

I'd be surprised to see Daniels ready for May/June he's still not over the knee injury fully yet so he's up against it.. Your full forward line are a little bit light but other then that not a bad team at all..

Ahh seriously, shame, between himself Shane fives and Connors there is great competition for the corner back spots.

blue note wrote: »
    How could you leave out Shane Walsh? Probably still our best scoring forward.

I'd suggest

O'Keeffe

Fives Lawlor Connors
    Nagle Brick Daniels
    Moran Fives
    Maurice Sully Molumphy
    Dillon Walsh Barron

Fair point, forgot about Walsh, and to be fair Nagle has showed good form last year. Would still have Pender in my team though, we definitely need a bit of grunt up front.

Anyone know whos on the panel this year, did any of last years minors get called up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭Deise Hurler

heres my first cut,

O'Keefe

Daniels Lawlor Connors
    Moran Brick Fives
    Pender M Shan J Dillion

For me

O'Keefe
    Daniels S Fives Connors
    Nagle Brick P Mahony
    Moran D Fives
    M Shan S O Sullivan Molumphy
    J Dillon S Pender S Bennett

• Advertisement

blue note wrote: »
    How could you leave out Shane Walsh? Probably still our best scoring forward

Maybe because hasnt been fit with the last 18 months

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Ropaire

Fair point, forgot about Walsh, and to be fair Nagle has showed good form last year. Would still have Pender in my team though, we definitely need a bit of grunt up front.

Anyone know whos on the panel this year, did any of last years minors get called up?

There's a few of them in training. Based on where we were lacking last year I'd have something like:
    O'Keefe
    S Fives Lawlor Connors
    Nagle Brick Moran
    Sully Molumphy
    S Pender D Fives R Barry
    J Dillon S Bennett M Shan

Center forward is a problem position for us and I reckon Darragh Fives or Molumphy are our best bet for there with the other in midfield.
    I'd be starting Bennett full forward as well, if he's good enough he's old enough and we're not exactly flush with alternatives anyway, we saw that last year. Shane Walsh is crocked and Pender is better as a ball winner on the wing, Maurice always plays better in the corner too. I'd play Ray Barry in the forwards and leave him there too, we've plenty of backs and he's needed more up the pitch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Maurice Shanahan would be wasted at corner forward, his whole game is running at defenders.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

Anyone else think Richie Foley and Darragh Fives played very well together v Kilkenny? Wouldn't mind seeing that midfield pairing again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

SOK
    Daniels, Lawlor, Connors
    Nagle, Brick, Moran
    Foley, Fives
    Shan/Molumphy, Mahony, Sully
    Bennett, Seamus Pren, Dillon

If Shane Walsh was fit I'd have him starting ahead of Seamus

Deise_2012 wrote: »
    Anyone else think Richie Foley and Darragh Fives played very well together v Kilkenny? Wouldn't mind seeing that midfield pairing again

Yeah they were savage. That was one of the best games i've seen Richie play, was excellent that day. If he could keep that kind of form going along with his knack for hitting monster scores he'd be a serious player for us.

Maurice Shanahan would be wasted at corner forward, his whole game is running at defenders.

This is true, but he's not great at winning ball on the 40 for a lad his size. Get him running at goal from further in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭deisedude

Ropaire wrote: »
    This is true, but he's not great at winning ball on the 40 for a lad his size. Get him running at goal from further in.

Shanahan is a confidence player from what i've seen of him. After the first 2 balls in to him you have a fair idea if its going to be a good or bad day for him. I've a feeling if he is corner forward and doesn't get as much ball his form will suffer.

Even when playing bad he does win a fair few frees which shouldnt be discounted either

deisedude wrote: »
    Shanahan is a confidence player from what i've seen of him. After the first 2 balls in to him you have a fair idea if its going to be a good or bad day for him. I've a feeling if he is corner forward and doesn't get as much ball his form will suffer.

Even when playing bad he does win a fair few frees which shouldnt be discounted either

You have a fair idea what kind of day he's going to have based on where he puts the first free he takes as well. When he's on form he's excellent though, be it in the corner or further out and the only real problem I'd have with the lad is his free taking, he can put a few soft ones wide like. Against Kilkenny he missed a few very handy frees, one from about 30 meters out. I'd have Dillon on frees and Foley on the longer ones if he's on the pitch, then let Maurice concentrate on his game and take a bit of pressure off the lad.

I don't know if ye would see this as a good thing or a bad thing but apparently Eoin Cadogan is back on the Cork hurling panel!It think it's a bit too early for me to be talking about next summer but sure we'll show up and give it a lash and hopefully we'll give a good account of ourselves.Taking it into account that they will be playing division 1 hurling and you look at the half back line they have you would have to say that Waterford will be the favourites.I think they will be a bit too strong for us as well.It all depends on what sort of a half back line that we can patch together.

btw What's the story with that lad from Clashmore/Kinsalebeg Brian O'Halloran.He was thrown in at the deep end against Tipp in Croke Park a few years ago and im not sure that it did him any favours.I remember there was a lad that came on against us in the 2010 munster final called Tomas Ryan.I haven't heard much of him since either.Where would ye see them in the pecking order when it comes to getting places in the forwards?To be honest i'd give Austin Gleeson a few league games and see how he get's on.If your good enough your old enough.What we would give to see a centre back with his potential emerge in Cork!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

I don't know if ye would see this as a good thing or a bad thing but apparently Eoin Cadogan is back on the Cork hurling panel!It think it's a bit too early for me to be talking about next summer but sure we'll show up and give it a lash and hopefully we'll give a good account of ourselves.Taking it into account that they will be playing division 1 hurling and you look at the half back line they have you would have to say that Waterford will be the favourites.I think they will be a bit too strong for us as well.It all depends on what sort of a half back line that we can patch together.

btw What's the story with that lad from Clashmore/Kinsalebeg Brian O'Halloran.He was thrown in at the deep end against Tipp in Croke Park a few years ago and im not sure that it did him any favours.I remember there was a lad that came on against us in the 2010 munster final called Tomas Ryan.I haven't heard much of him since either.Where would ye see them in the pecking order when it comes to getting places in the forwards?To be honest i'd give Austin Gleeson a few league games and see how he get's on.If your good enough your old enough.What we would give to see a centre back with his potential emerge in Cork!

We have won,joyce but he is not been given a chance.Cadogan,another dual player,we now have four is a dissaster for cork.

We have won,joyce but he is not been given a chance.Cadogan,another dual player,we now have four is a dissaster for cork.

You can talk about this more in the Cork thread but i don't think all is well in the football camp.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

You can talk about this more in the Cork thread but i don't think all is well in the football camp.
    Yeah fair point.What do you mean in the football,?(i see you in the Cork thread).

Injuries is o hallorans problem. If he stays injury free we could see him pushing for a place next year. Tommy ryan was dropped off the panel last year. As for gleeson I think he will get a fair chance but he mightened be ready for it next year

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

There's a few of them in training. Based on where we were lacking last year I'd have something like:
    O'Keefe
    S Fives Lawlor Connors
    Nagle Brick Moran
    Sully Molumphy
    S Pender D Fives R Barry
    J Dillon S Bennett M Shan

Center forward is a problem position for us and I reckon Darragh Fives or Molumphy are our best bet for there with the other in midfield.
    I'd be starting Bennett full forward as well, if he's good enough he's old enough and we're not exactly flush with alternatives anyway, we saw that last year. Shane Walsh is crocked and Pender is better as a ball winner on the wing, Maurice always plays better in the corner too. I'd play Ray Barry in the forwards and leave him there too, we've plenty of backs and he's needed more up the pitch.
    Would agree with you totally about Stephen Bennett.It doesn't look a bad team on paper at least! Maybe switch Darragh Fives and Stephen Molumphy but other than that it looks a good side. Hopefully Jamie Barron can get back to his best again i think by his own high standards he hadn't a great year but there's no doubting his ability and wouldn't he be another class option at corner forward if he's back on song? Hopefully Tadgh de Bourke and Kieran Power get some experience this year aswell because they are potentially,2 future cornerbacks and wingbacks respectively.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

Forgot about Austin Gleeson,another future centre back who will gain from the experience of being involved this year. If you sit back and really look at the talent we have,and the talent coming through it really gives you confidence for the future.Are there any games coming up over the Xmas or are they just in training?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Happy Christmas lads. Hopefully we don't hear any stories about the lads being asked to train on Christmas day, like a certain manager of the year did last year.

I read that interview with Derek McGrath in the examiner yesterday and to give credit where it's due he sounds like a man with a plan and a vision.Of course the most important place to do the talking is out on the pitch but i got the impression that this is a man that has everything mapped out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Motivator

Yeah they were savage. That was one of the best games i've seen Richie play, was excellent that day. If he could keep that kind of form going along with his knack for hitting monster scores he'd be a serious player for us.

Richie Foley is a smashing player, he was brilliant against Kilkenny - probay our man of the match next to Moran. He has been unlucky with injury & if I remember correctly he was only back from injury a week or two before the Kilkenny game. If he gets a solid 6 months training/games behind him he's a certain starter against Cork in May. He'll be a huge player for Waterford & could be an All Star he's that talented.

• Advertisement

Motivator wrote: »
    Richie Foley is a smashing player, he was brilliant against Kilkenny - probay our man of the match next to Moran. He has been unlucky with injury & if I remember correctly he was only back from injury a week or two before the Kilkenny game. If he getks a solid 6 months training/games behind him he's a certain starter against Cork in May. He'll be a huge player for Waterford & could be an All Star he's that talented.

Thats big talk. He hasnt been consistent enough over the years to nail down a place on the team but I would agree that this could be a make or break season for him if he stays injury free. A lot of people talk about his performance against kk but he actually ended up being taen off

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement