Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2013- Mod Warning Post #1

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

Black Suir wrote: »
    Munster Council Website says its 2pm in WIT on Sunday. Munster Council PRO is top class at his job doing twitter, facebook, website etc and would go with what he says rather than Club Déise.

The UCC game in Dungarvan at half 7 is just a challenge game, not a Crystal cup game

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

deise_girl wrote: »
    The UCC game in Dungarvan at half 7 is just a challenge game, not a Crystal cup game
    Are you going to it?deise girl

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

def tonight at half 7 so?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

Are you going to it?deise girl
    Thought I was but I dont think so anymore :(
    Deise_2012 wrote: »
    def tonight at half 7 so?

Well thats what the club deise fb page said https://www.facebook.com/ClubDeiseTheWaterfordGaaSupportersClub

Thought I was but I dont think so anymore :(

Well thats what the club deise fb page said https://www.facebook.com/ClubDeiseTheWaterfordGaaSupportersClub
    Thanks ,no bother.

If you were ,i would have asked for a report and also on how colm spillane played ,and where he did ,if he played.

• Advertisement

Yere former Selector Padraic Fanning is coaching Bride Rovers,club of Brian Murphy next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭Deise Hurler

Yere former Selector Padraic Fanning is coaching Bride Rovers,club of Brian Murphy next year.

God help them.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭IanVW

@tomasmcc: Half Time in Senior Hurling Challenge at Fraher Field Waterford 0-13 UCC 1-6

• Registered Users Posts: 39,546 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

IanVW wrote: »
    @tomasmcc: Half Time in Senior Hurling Challenge at Fraher Field Waterford 0-13 UCC 1-6

1-20 to 2-12 after end of second period according to Tomás. Assume that is full time although they could be doing a 3 period match like on Sunday against Dublin

Maurice with the goal for Waterford

Edit - He's just clarified there is a 3rd period of 20 mins still to play

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭IanVW

@tomasmcc: Full Time Senior Hurling Challenge Waterford 2-23 UCC 2-14 Maurice Shanahan finished on 1-12 Ryan Donnelly with 1-3

• Advertisement

Second time in 3 days that Maurice has scored 1-12, good sign even if its very early days.

Any list of the teams and scorers?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭deadybai

IanVW wrote: »
    @tomasmcc: Full Time Senior Hurling Challenge Waterford 2-23 UCC 2-14 Maurice Shanahan finished on 1-12 Ryan Donnelly with 1-3

Good result for Waterford judging by the scoreline. any standout performances? apart from Maurice.

There was no team sheet but I think this was the team anyway
    Iggy O'Regan
    Shane Macnulty, Tadhg Bourke, Mark Wyse
    Shane Fives (who was man of the match by a mile) Brick, Kevin Moran
    Killian Fitzgerald? Tom Devine
    Maurice Shan, Donie Breathnach, Seamus Keating
    Michael Kearney, Seamus Pender, Ryan Donnelly

Maurice Shan wasn't great, he got a good goal in fairness but a lot of his scores were from frees, Ryan Donnelly played very well but they played him well out the field for some reason, Shane Mac and Tadhg Bourke were very good, the ground was awful so some of the touches took time to get right. Donie was good got a few scores, Michael Kearney looked very light out there, a few years with the u21s will do him no harm, the same with Seamus Keating also.
    I've no idea what the UCC team was besides Paudie Pender at CB, Shane Roche midfield I think and Jamie Barron wing forward. Dan Mccormack got a few scores for them at centre forward

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

Any list of the teams and scorers?

Stephen O Keeffe
    Tadgh Burke
    Shane Fives
    Mark Wyse
    Adam O Sullivan
    Brick
    Kevin Moran
    Tom Devine
    Killian Fitzgerald
    Seamus Keating
    Maurice Shanahan
    Donie Breathnach
    Ryan Donnelly
    Seamus Prendergast
    Mickey Kearney.

No idea of the UCC team,i could only recognise Jamie Barron and Padraig Prendergast of their first 15.

Tadgh Burke looked solid and Tom Devine again looked very strong in midfield while he was on. Shane Fives when moved to wing back was excellent chipping in with 4 points from play.
    The UCC team was only a skeleton of their side for the Fitzgibbon i would imagine,as there was no sign of Conor Lehane or Paudi Mahony and Darragh Fives is still out injured.

cul beag wrote: »
    Stephen O Keeffe
    Tadgh Burke
    Shane Fives
    Mark Wyse
    Adam O Sullivan
    Brick
    Kevin Moran
    Tom Devine
    Killian Fitzgerald
    Seamus Keating
    Maurice Shanahan
    Donie Breathnach
    Ryan Donnelly
    Seamus Prendergast
    Mickey Kearney.

No idea of the UCC team,i could only recognise Jamie Barron and Padraig Prendergast of their first 15.

Tadgh Burke looked solid and Tom Devine again looked very strong in midfield while he was on. Shane Fives when moved to wing back was excellent chipping in with 4 points from play.
    The UCC team was only a skeleton of their side for the Fitzgibbon i would imagine,as there was no sign of Conor Lehane or Paudi Mahony and Darragh Fives is still out injured.
    Was it not Iggy in goal and Shane Mcnulty corner back?

Shane McNulty,Kieran Power Austin Gleeson and Seanie Barry were with the W.I.T Freshers tonight so were unavailable. Stephen Bennett is obviously unavailable because of Ballysaggart's All Ireland semi final, Ray Barry was with CIT and Phillip Mahony and Stephen Molumphy weren't there. Good to see Shane Walsh togged out even though he didn't see action,especially after all the injuries he had last year. Iggy replaced Socky at halftime and Jake Dillon came on for Tom Devine. No sign of Gavin O Brien,Liam Lawlor,Jamie Nagle so when you look at the squad it doesn't look bad at all!!

Was it not Iggy in goal and Shane Mcnulty corner back?

No it was Adam O Sullivan from DLS cornerback and Iggy came on for Socky at halftime.

No it was Adam O Sullivan from DLS cornerback and Iggy came on for Socky at halftime.
    Ah ok, Paudie Mahonys with WIT but him and Stephen Roche are in dublin for the year working I think, along with Richie Foley. Austin Gleeson was doing training on the sideline with Micheal Harney and I think I saw Seanie Barry with Lawlor around too. He's after drafting in a lot of the minors from last year, Tom Devine, Adam Farrell, Michael Kearney, Micheal Harney, Aussie Gleeson, Stephen Bennett, DJ Foran

Ah ok, Paudie Mahonys with WIT but him and Stephen Roche are in dublin for the year working I think, along with Richie Foley. Austin Gleeson was doing training on the sideline with Micheal Harney and I think I saw Seanie Barry with Lawlor around too. He's after drafting in a lot of the minors from last year, Tom Devine, Adam Farrell, Michael Kearney, Micheal Harney, Aussie Gleeson, Stephen Bennett, DJ Foran

I knew i left out some names! Great to see them all gaining some experience, if they can be all kept together for the next few years we will surely be knocking on the door for the big prizes again.

• Advertisement

Stephen O Keeffe
    Tadgh Burke
    Shane Fives
    Mark Wyse
    Adam O Sullivan
    Brick
    Kevin Moran
    Tom Devine
    Killian Fitzgerald
    Seamus Keating
    Maurice Shanahan
    Donie Breathnach
    Ryan Donnelly
    Seamus Prendergast
    Mickey Kearney.

Cheers lad much appreciate that

Yeah a few of the cork lads with ucc are in america on a team holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,349 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

is the brick out injured ??

Heard something on wlr yesterday but only caught the end of it

PTH2009 wrote: »
    is the brick out injured ??

Heard something on wlr yesterday but only caught the end of it
    There was no team sheet but I think this was the team anyway
    Iggy O'Regan
    Shane Macnulty, Tadhg Bourke, Mark Wyse
    Shane Fives (who was man of the match by a mile) Brick, Kevin Moran
    Killian Fitzgerald? Tom Devine
    Maurice Shan, Donie Breathnach, Seamus Keating
    Michael Kearney, Seamus Pender, Ryan Donnelly
    Stephen O Keeffe
    Tadgh Burke
    Shane Fives
    Mark Wyse
    Adam O Sullivan
    Brick
    Kevin Moran
    Tom Devine
    Killian Fitzgerald
    Seamus Keating
    Maurice Shanahan
    Donie Breathnach
    Ryan Donnelly
    Seamus Prendergast
    Mickey Kearney.

Just a wild guess but I think he isnt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

I would presume that the seniors and u21s will be working closely with each other for the year given the amount of 21s that are going to be with the seniors? Possibly the intermediates aswell?

Hopefully common sense prevails unlike the shambles the past couple seasons

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

Waterford 2-23 UCC 2-14

Waterford eased to a comfortable nine-point victory in this interesting challenge in Fraher Field last night. The pitch was predictably very heavy but otherwise in good order for the time of year and especially after all the recent rain. It was a fine dry night which got colder as the game progressed, with a stiffish wind blowing towards the river goal.

The game was played in three periods of, respectively, 35, 25 and 20 minutes, an unusual arrangement made all the stranger by the fact that Waterford only had 17 players available and actually played the final period with only 14 on the field.

Despite playing against the wind, Waterford started the stronger and had three points on the board before UCC took over but found it hard to get scores. Waterford then came back to build up a comfortable lead as UCC faded, but they got something of a lifeline with a well-worked goal late in the first period to leave the score at the break 0-13 to 1-6.

UCC resumed strongly, and had got back on terms when a good Maurice Shanahan goal again put daylight between the teams. He got onto a good ball in from midfield and ran at the UCC last line of defence, finishing decisively to the net despite the close attentions of two UCC defenders. Waterford then built on their lead to go in at the end of the second period ahead by 1-20 to 2-12.

We expected UCC to be fitter than Waterford, given the timing of their hurling year, but despite playing into the wind and a man short, Waterford dominated the third period, with Ryan Donnelly putting the icing on the cake with a late goal, when he got onto a ball which broke behind the UCC defence to race in from 30 metres to finish well to the net.

Despite what has been reported in another post, as far as I recall Iggy O’Regan played the whole game in goal. He had little chance with the two goals that beat him and otherwise had little to do with his full back line doing well from start to finish. However, the high trajectory of his puckouts remains a problem.

While we were told that the right full back was Adam O’Sullivan (who, if my memory is correct, scored two goals for Waterford in the 2011 Munster minor hurling final), he looked and played like Shane McNulty. Whoever he was, he had an excellent game, with good drive and anticipation and really good stickwork. If it was O’Sullivan, then on this performance he adds yet another prospect to Derek McGrath’s growing list of players with potential.

Tadhg Bourke was, in anything, even more impressive, and seemed to get better as the game progressed. He started at full back but moved around the place as UCC played just five forwards in a fluid formation. He is strong, very clever, very skilful and mobile with a lovely swerve and definitely one for the future. Mark Wyse also held his own in the full back line.

At right half back Shane Fives (wearing a pair of shorts which would not have passed the late Tony Mansfield’s colour test!) played like a man possessed and was absolutely superb, landing three points before moving to full back in the third period. At centre back Brick Walsh was excellent as usual, while on the left Kevin Moran started well but faded out subsequently and was replaced by Adam Farrell.

Tom Devine had a very good first period in midfield, after which he retired, apparently due to illness, to be replaced by Jake Dillon who put in a hard-working shift. The other starting midfielder was Killian Fitzgerald who made little impression until moved to left half back in the second period, after which he came much more into the game.

Donie Breathnach, at No. 10 and subsequently midfield, was in and out of the game. He ran at the UCC defence on a number of occasions to good effect and ended up with three good points. Maurice Shanahan started at centre forward but moved about the place, and while some have been critical of his performance, he scored 1-3 from play to add to nine pointed frees to give him the same overall tally as he got last Sunday against Dublin. Seamus Keating started at No. 12 but his touch was poor and he made little impression. The same could be said for Mikey Kearney, making his debut, but I am sure we will see a lot more of this fine prospect.

The redoubtable Seamus Prendergast started at full forward but came much more into the game when moved to the half line before running out of steam towards the end of the second period. The lively Ryan Donnelly will be very happy with his harvest of 1-3 and he knows how to score when he gets the ball into his hand.

I didn’t take note of the UCC team, except that Paudie Prendergast played at centre back, Shane Roche at midfield and Jamie Barron (who notched 0-3) at right half forward.

Waterford: Iggy O’Regan; Adam O’Sullivan/Shane McNulty; Tadhg Bourke; Mark Wyse; Shane Fives (0-3); Brick Walsh; Kevin Moran; Tom Devine (0-1); Killian Fitzgerald (0-1); Donie Breathnach (0-3); Maurice Shanahan (1-12, 1-3 from play); Seamus Keating; Ryan Donnelly (1-3); Seamus Prendergast; Mikey Kearney. Subs: Jake Dillon; Adam Farrell.

It should be noted that there were no umpires on duty, and the reported score was a consensual agreement among a group of us in the stand, based mainly on keeping an eye of when referee Michael Wadding made an entry in his notebook.

Great report fong, the last line in particular is brilliant. Maybe this group consensus in relation to scores could be introduced at more games.....

Was there anyone noteworthy on the sidelines from a Waterford point of view btw?

Giveitfong wrote: »
    Waterford 2-23 UCC 2-14

Waterford eased to a comfortable nine-point victory in this interesting challenge in Fraher Field last night. The pitch was predictably very heavy but otherwise in good order for the time of year and especially after all the recent rain. It was a fine dry night which got colder as the game progressed, with a stiffish wind blowing towards the river goal.

The game was played in three periods of, respectively, 35, 25 and 20 minutes, an unusual arrangement made all the stranger by the fact that Waterford only had 17 players available and actually played the final period with only 14 on the field.

Despite playing against the wind, Waterford started the stronger and had three points on the board before UCC took over but found it hard to get scores. Waterford then came back to build up a comfortable lead as UCC faded, but they got something of a lifeline with a well-worked goal late in the first period to leave the score at the break 0-13 to 1-6.

UCC resumed strongly, and had got back on terms when a good Maurice Shanahan goal again put daylight between the teams. He got onto a good ball in from midfield and ran at the UCC last line of defence, finishing decisively to the net despite the close attentions of two UCC defenders. Waterford then built on their lead to go in at the end of the second period ahead by 1-20 to 2-12.

We expected UCC to be fitter than Waterford, given the timing of their hurling year, but despite playing into the wind and a man short, Waterford dominated the third period, with Ryan Donnelly putting the icing on the cake with a late goal, when he got onto a ball which broke behind the UCC defence to race in from 30 metres to finish well to the net.

Despite what has been reported in another post, as far as I recall Iggy O’Regan played the whole game in goal. He had little chance with the two goals that beat him and otherwise had little to do with his full back line doing well from start to finish. However, the high trajectory of his puckouts remains a problem.

While we were told that the right full back was Adam O’Sullivan (who, if my memory is correct, scored two goals for Waterford in the 2011 Munster minor hurling final), he looked and played like Shane McNulty. Whoever he was, he had an excellent game, with good drive and anticipation and really good stickwork. If it was O’Sullivan, then on this performance he adds yet another prospect to Derek McGrath’s growing list of players with potential.

Tadhg Bourke was, in anything, even more impressive, and seemed to get better as the game progressed. He started at full back but moved around the place as UCC played just five forwards in a fluid formation. He is strong, very clever, very skilful and mobile with a lovely swerve and definitely one for the future. Mark Wyse also held his own in the full back line.

At right half back Shane Fives (wearing a pair of shorts which would not have passed the late Tony Mansfield’s colour test!) played like a man possessed and was absolutely superb, landing three points before moving to full back in the third period. At centre back Brick Walsh was excellent as usual, while on the left Kevin Moran started well but faded out subsequently and was replaced by Adam Farrell.

Tom Devine had a very good first period in midfield, after which he retired, apparently due to illness, to be replaced by Jake Dillon who put in a hard-working shift. The other starting midfielder was Killian Fitzgerald who made little impression until moved to left half back in the second period, after which he came much more into the game.

Donie Breathnach, at No. 10 and subsequently midfield, was in and out of the game. He ran at the UCC defence on a number of occasions to good effect and ended up with three good points. Maurice Shanahan started at centre forward but moved about the place, and while some have been critical of his performance, he scored 1-3 from play to add to nine pointed frees to give him the same overall tally as he got last Sunday against Dublin. Seamus Keating started at No. 12 but his touch was poor and he made little impression. The same could be said for Mikey Kearney, making his debut, but I am sure we will see a lot more of this fine prospect.

The redoubtable Seamus Prendergast started at full forward but came much more into the game when moved to the half line before running out of steam towards the end of the second period. The lively Ryan Donnelly will be very happy with his harvest of 1-3 and he knows how to score when he gets the ball into his hand.

I didn’t take note of the UCC team, except that Paudie Prendergast played at centre back, Shane Roche at midfield and Jamie Barron (who notched 0-3) at right half forward.

Waterford: Iggy O’Regan; Adam O’Sullivan/Shane McNulty; Tadhg Bourke; Mark Wyse; Shane Fives (0-3); Brick Walsh; Kevin Moran; Tom Devine (0-1); Killian Fitzgerald (0-1); Donie Breathnach (0-3); Maurice Shanahan (1-12, 1-3 from play); Seamus Keating; Ryan Donnelly (1-3); Seamus Prendergast; Mikey Kearney. Subs: Jake Dillon; Adam Farrell.

It should be noted that there were no umpires on duty, and the reported score was a consensual agreement among a group of us in the stand, based mainly on keeping an eye of when referee Michael Wadding made an entry in his notebook.

Super report lad .fair play.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭seananigans

Giveitfong wrote: »
    Waterford 2-23 UCC 2-14

Would they not pull 4 supporters from the crowd (2 from eacch camp) to share the duties ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

Any word on Tony Browne? Seems like he might not be a part of the panel this year, but no official announcement of his retirement yet.

• Advertisement

I definately thought it was Shane Mcnulty corner back and Iggy in goal for the whole game too

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement