Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2013- Mod Warning Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,349 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

DeiseDawg wrote: »
    UK 1.11 waftd 0.10 full time score

time to worry we should not be losing these types of games but on the other hand we lost to them this time last year too

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭DeiseDawg

Should have read UP 1.11 watfd 0.10

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭DeiseDawg

Bloody predictive text - UL 1.11 waftd 10pts

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭alllcounty

Not a good day for hurling weather wise. I had to on my wellies and oil gear while the wind drove the rain in my face so fair play to all those that togged out. I was hoping to see some kick and urgancy from the players after the events of the last few months but too many passes were over cooked and bad shot selection meant there were far too many wides. But it's still very early yet and after a similar result last year against the same opposition they went on to have a very good league so who knows. The best for us were Brick, Philip Mahony and Molumphy did well when he came on at half time. UL appeared to pick out their players better and worked the ball to a player in a better position to score. They have alot of work to do but there is no doubting we have a very good panel this year, they just need to work as a team better, pick out their teammates better with the ball and up the tempo more in games. We'll just have to be patient for now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Was bitterly disappointed earlier but have had a chance to reflect. It was a horrible day and particularly in the first half when Waterford had the wind. Cleared up 2nd half which suited UL.

Two concerns from the game I had were the lack of support play and particularly free taking. 3 different free takers and in the end had to revert back to Maurice. UL just gave away frees knowing they'd get away with it.

Just heard we shot 17 wides. This was our biggest issue last year and still the one that needs to be addressed the most.

The team was:
    1. SOK
    2.S Fives
    3. Coughlan
    4. Bourke
    5. Mahony
    6.Brick
    7.Moran
    8.Nagle
    9.Sully
    10.Maurice
    11. Dillon
    12. Barry
    13. Donnelly
    14. S Walsh
    15. Barron

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

Was bitterly disappointed earlier but have had a chance to reflect. It was a horrible day and particularly in the first half when Waterford had the wind. Cleared up 2nd half which suited UL.

Two concerns from the game I had were the lack of support play and particularly free taking. 3 different free takers and in the end had to revert back to Maurice. UL just gave away frees knowing they'd get away with it.

Just heard we shot 17 wides. This was our biggest issue last year and still the one that needs to be addressed the most.

The team was:
    1. SOK
    2.S Fives
    3. Coughlan
    4. Bourke
    5. Mahony
    6.Brick
    7.Moran
    8.Nagle
    9.Sully
    10.Maurice
    11. Dillon
    12. Barry
    13. Donnelly
    14. S Walsh
    15. Barron
    Would you be very concerned about todays game? I wouldn't look too much into it really, it was terrible weather for a game in fairness, and then you take into account UL have been hurling since October/November where as the lads only started back at the end of December. Annoys me when people in the crowd are complaining about mistakes made in January/Feb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Deise_2012 wrote: »
    Would you be very concerned about todays game? I wouldn't look too much into it really, it was terrible weather for a game in fairness, and then you take into account UL have been hurling since October/November where as the lads only started back at the end of December. Annoys me when people in the crowd are complaining about mistakes made in January/Feb
    I was giving out a lot haha.

The in accuracy would. Also it was an average UL team, missing some tip players. To be honest, that forward line doesn't look to far removed from what we'll see later in the year and while it wasn't a forwards day I'm not sure you could say any of them impressed. Any one know the story with O'Halloran.

The in accuracy would. Also it was an average UL team, missing some tip players. To be honest, that forward line doesn't look to far removed from what we'll see later in the year and while it wasn't a forwards day I'm not sure you could say any of them impressed. Any one know the story with O'Halloran.
    ahh yeah that was definately you I heard today so haha!

O'Halloran's still recovering, doing a little training but I doubt we'l see him til march! I can't wait for Bennett to make his debut! Is Richie Foley injured?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭deadybai

Waterford should have done better in the first half today. Should have used the wind more to there advantage and gone in with a bigger lead at half time. Jake Dillion was good today along with Brick and Moran. Maurice had a really poor game in my opinion.

deadybai wrote: »
    Waterford should have done better in the first half today. Should have used the wind more to there advantage and gone in with a bigger lead at half time. Jake Dillion was good today along with Brick and Moran. Maurice had a really poor game in my opinion.
    Philip Mahony was the motm out of the Waterford players

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Deise Doodler

disappointed with the attitude more than the result, don't feel it was till the last 10 min that Waterford showed any urgency, considering there is so much competition for places, Awful conditions, but same for both teams, in those conditions frees are so important, 3 different free takers is not good, on a positive note thought Ryan Donnelly actually did well showed well for the ball and could have had 1. 2 with a little more luck and a bit more composure, also thought Tadgh De Burke did well enough, along with Brick and Philip Mahoney, Moran, was a bit of a mixed bag though,

On a side note , some one mentioned at the game today that they heard the 2 Mahoney's were heading for America for the summer , anyone else hear this ?

Dillon did ok as well but in general our forward support play was poor

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

I don't post on here often just usually read the posts but I wondering is T Browne still on the panel? Has he made any statement on staying on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

Not too concerned about browne to be honest, but if its true that the mahonys are heading off its a huge blow. Especially philip after missing out on last year and if reports are to be belevied hes hurling v well.

Any one know the story with O'Halloran.

Why am I not surprised......:D

Wont be holding my breath for o halloran. Probably the most injury prone player ive ever seen id be happy even to see him as just an impact sub later in the year

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭carter10

Don't agree with this ' its early in the year stuff', its early in the year for Limerick and Tipp as well but both put up huge scores. This is the first competitive game under new management and as such you'd expect the players would want to lay down a marker but what I saw today was very, very poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭redlead

carter10 wrote: »
    Don't agree with this ' its early in the year stuff', its early in the year for Limerick and Tipp as well but both put up huge scores. This is the first competitive game under new management and as such you'd expect the players would want to lay down a marker but what I saw today was very, very poor.

I agree with you. Losing doesn't concern me but the manner in which we lost does. We were absolutely atrocious. Some of the attempted passing and link up play was shocking. There were lads mis hitting balls, hitting wides from in front of the post, not catching simple balls etc. We blatantly don't have anyone capable of hitting a free either which is going to bite us in the ass in the league and championship. Especially considering just how weak we are in the forward department.

Moran did well throughout I thought and Molumphy was very lively when he came on which is encouraging.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭alllcounty

On a side note , some one mentioned at the game today that they heard the 2 Mahoney's were heading for America for the summer , anyone else hear this ?

If they were not going to be around for the summer then it would be very unlikely they would be training with the panel now so I doubt that's true. I did hear mullane say Dean Twomey was heading for America for the summer on the radio there Saturday so maybe that is what the person said. Mullane also said Daniels was targeting April for a return to hurling and said he will be a huge addition to DLS this year so I doubt he is heading to Australia as someone previously on here said.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Deise Doodler

alllcounty wrote: »
    If they were not going to be around for the summer then it would be very unlikely they would be training with the panel now so I doubt that's true. I did hear mullane say Dean Twomey was heading for America for the summer on the radio there Saturday so maybe that is what the person said. Mullane also said Daniels was targeting April for a return to hurling and said he will be a huge addition to DLS this year so I doubt he is heading to Australia as someone previously on here said.

No, definitely, Philip and Paraic, was talking about ballygunner at the time thought it strange myself that they would be on the panel if true

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

carter10 wrote: »

But you've no idea what type of training they're doing. They may well have been training or playing an internal game yesterday, while UL would have been well up for this match ahead of the Fitzgibbon.

We beat Clare at home in the league at the start of last year, and Cork beat them in Munster. It didn't stop them becoming All Ireland champions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭seananigans

lifted from FB

CLG Port Lairge - Waterford GAA
    In relation to stories circulating on social media regarding the All
    Ireland Minor Hurling winners medals, Waterford County Board wish to issue the following statement:

Waterford County Board received 24 official All Ireland Final winners’ medals for our minor hurlers from Croke Park as is the norm for minor All Ireland winning teams.

Waterford County Board ordered additional medals to ensure that all members of the minor panel received winner’s medals.
    Unfortunately 5 of the additional medals were incorrectly stamped / engraved and will have to be replaced. As soon as Waterford County Board became aware of the issue, we contacted the supplier with a view to correcting the problem.

Waterford County Board regret any embarrassment caused to any panel member who received an incorrectly stamped medal and we can assure them that they will receive the correct medal as soon as we have them.

Waterford County Board would also like to point out that All Ireland winner’s medals cost in excess of €300 each and the value of the additional medals being reported on social media is totally inaccurate.

• Advertisement

lifted form fb

Ireland Minor Hurling winners medals, Waterford County Board wish to issue the following statement:

Waterford County Board received 24 official All Ireland Final winners’ medals for our minor hurlers from Croke Park as is the norm for minor All Ireland winning teams.

Waterford County Board ordered additional medals to ensure that all members of the minor panel received winner’s medals.
    Unfortunately 5 of the additional medals were incorrectly stamped / engraved and will have to be replaced. As soon as Waterford County Board became aware of the issue, we contacted the supplier with a view to correcting the problem.

Waterford County Board regret any embarrassment caused to any panel member who received an incorrectly stamped medal and we can assure them that they will receive the correct medal as soon as we have them.

Waterford County Board would also like to point out that All Ireland winner’s medals cost in excess of €300 each and the value of the additional medals being reported on social media is totally inaccurate.

lifted from FB

Ken mcgrath would want to lay off twitter I assume this has been in response to his ranting. Ken has been a legend of the game but dosent do his legacy any favours with the rubbish hes been putting up on twitter lately. As for his brother hes as bad but ill say no more about him

haha just read over ken's feed there,and spotted this gem

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Brad1234

robopaddy wrote: »
    Ken mcgrath would want to lay off twitter I assume this has been in response to his ranting. Ken has been a legend of the game but dosent do his legacy any favours with the rubbish hes been putting up on twitter lately. As for his brother hes as bad but ill say no more about him

To some extent yes he should be a bit more restraint on what he is saying as he has a lot of influence in his comments but i cant see much wrong with what he said yesterday..

The organisation of the medals for such a momentous occasion was nothing short of ridiculous.. Everyone knows you get 24 medals from Gaa. Nobody carries a squad of that size anymore so its up to the county board to fund the difference.. So clearly when you know the date of the presentation you can go and organise the medals in a timely fashion so that if there is errors they can be rectified.

But no they couldnt even organise that, there a some clowns on a lot of them committees in the preparation of events like this who clearly don't have the intelligence to pull it off.

On an occasion like this no stone should be left unturned and to be honest no excuse is acceptable.. That statement was a complete waste of the paper it was written on..

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Brad1234

Yesterday was terribly dissappointing i felt and to be honest i don't know how our season will turn around from it ..

Like the guys are in training weeks now and are only being flogged to death 5 of the 7 nights of the week so they should be sharp and although its mainly running they are doing there touch and support play should be immaculate..

Also 80% of the squad are training with other groups at the moment and with quite a number in Dublin that is no excuse for losing to a side who are in with a great shout in fitzgibbon and have been working together since October..

id say the 45-50 names in the squad should be ripped up and start again Derek..

Finally night in Dublin is a silly idea cause he will give so much information away to the media that we will be easily studied by opposition in the summer and has nothing to do with the Waterford Supporters in Dublin who are loyal supporters both in their attendance and with their pocket getting a bit of love at the start of the season so they continue pumping a lot of money into the sponsorship of the team..

:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Black Suir

robopaddy wrote: »

Was it Ken that broke the story on Social Media. The first person I saw to make mention of it was Adrian Flannagan.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Local_Chap

Brad1234 wrote: »

although its mainly running they are doing there touch and support play should be immaculate..

You don't contradict yourself here anyway! If it's mainly running there doing how is there touch going to be immaculate, especially considering the weather.
    As for the other points you make, I don't even know where to begin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

Local_Chap wrote: »
    You don't contradict yourself here anyway! If it's mainly running there doing how is there touch going to be immaculate, especially considering the weather.
    As for the other points you make, I don't even know where to begin

By spotting the tongue placed firmly in cheek?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭dzilla

ridiculous anyway in this day and age and all the millions that the GAA turnover that Co boards have to make up the shortfall on the extended panel of members. No panel has 24 on it anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭blue note

I wouldn't have any new concerns from a Waterford Crystal Cup game in January, but I was reminded of how much we miss having a top class free taker. I don't know if Maurice will ever be fully reliable on them (on his day he's a good free taker), but he's probably the best we've got for them. It cost us last year though and it's a frustrating weakness.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement