Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2013- Mod Warning Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Brad1234

deiseach wrote: »
    By spotting the tongue placed firmly in cheek?

That has made my day Deiseach..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

Black Suir wrote: »
    Was it Ken that broke the story on Social Media. The first person I saw to make mention of it was Adrian Flannagan.

Probably not but ken is the kind of guy when he talks people listen. Its fair enough going off on one but he didnt have his facts right thats what sparked the response from the co. Board. You know aswell as I know they usually go into hiding everytime a boo boo arises (quite regularly with this lot)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭dzilla

where did he get that the medals cost a €5er?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Black Suir

dzilla wrote: »
    ridiculous anyway in this day and age and all the millions that the GAA turnover that Co boards have to make up the shortfall on the extended panel of members. No panel has 24 on it anymore.

To be fair to the GAA they have to set a cut off point somewhere. If they did not while it would not happen, what is to stop a manager going all around a county in the week of a Munster or an All-Ireland final, gather every fellow regardless of ability from the age of 15 to 18 and tell him that he is in the panel. Rules and cut off points have to be made. The County Board in fairness to them never complain (to much anyway) if a panel is extended to 32 or 33 as they know 15 a side games have to be played at training, and you will always have a situation where someone is injured and not able to take part in a training game or able to make a particular training session.

robopaddy wrote: »
    Probably not but ken is the kind of guy when he talks people listen. Its fair enough going off on one but he didnt have his facts right thats what sparked the response from the co. Board. You know aswell as I know they usually go into hiding everytime a boo boo arises (quite regularly with this lot)

Did not see where Ken made comments on twitter or anywhere else, but have seen comments made by another former Mount Sion Inter County Hurler. I wonder are people mixing the two up. The €4 or €5 medal was first mentioned as far as I can see by another former inter county player.

• Advertisement

To be fair to the GAA they have to set a cut off point somewhere. If they did not while it would not happen, what is to stop a manager going all around a county in the week of a Munster or an All-Ireland final, gather every fellow regardless of ability from the age of 15 to 18 and tell him that he is in the panel. Rules and cut off points have to be made. The County Board in fairness to them never complain (to much anyway) if a panel is extended to 32 or 33 as they know 15 a side games have to be played at training, and you will always have a situation where someone is injured and not able to take part in a training game or able to make a particular training session.

Yes i agree to some of your points but they had a pretty settled squad for the season and the CB knew the amount of people on it so no excuse can be made for this..

Brad1234 wrote: »
    Yes i agree to some of your points but they had a pretty settled squad for the season and the CB knew the amount of people on it so no excuse can be made for this..

I am not saying that the medals should not be there, they should, but just making the point that the GAA (Croke Park) will give out 24 medals only. A few years back it was 21 and when Kerry reached the final, one of the Hassett brothers was captain that year and was dropped for the final, and did not even make the six sub names given to the referee. As a result he did not get a medal. As far as I remember Kerry did not give him a medal which they could have bought as they deemed him not entitled to one as he did not make the 21 names on the team sheet. Thankfully that has changed since and all players get a medal now, with the county board purchasing the extra medals above the 24 or 26 presented to the board.
    The biggest thing to come out of this story over the weekend is that Nobody on the County Board or from the committee put in place to organise the presentation night did not check the medals to see if they were all correct, having such things as the year and Port Lairge on the medal. Over the past few years the Waterford County Board has seen controversy after controversy follow it. A few years back it was saying we as a county wanted to travel to cork to play cork in a senior hurling game for a brown envelope, we had our Munster Reps not voting for or against the open draw in the SFC which saw our players pull out of this years McGrath Cup competition along with those from Clare, Limerick and Tipp. Many also had there hopes built up that the Munster SHC game with Cork would be played at Walsh Park this year. It was never going to happen. There was an equal chance of it getting played at Mellery's pitch than there was at Walsh Park. Someone has to take responsibility for what has happened. The fault has to be put on someone's shoulders. Somehow it will all be brushed under the carpet at the next county board meeting, and the clowns that many clubs are sending to county board meetings will accept what ever feeble excuse is offered.

I am not saying that the medals should not be there, they should, but just making the point that the GAA (Croke Park) will give out 24 medals only. A few years back it was 21 and when Kerry reached the final, one of the Hassett brothers was captain that year and was dropped for the final, and did not even make the six sub names given to the referee. As a result he did not get a medal. As far as I remember Kerry did not give him a medal which they could have bought as they deemed him not entitled to one as he did not make the 21 names on the team sheet. Thankfully that has changed since and all players get a medal now, with the county board purchasing the extra medals above the 24 or 26 presented to the board.
    The biggest thing to come out of this story over the weekend is that Nobody on the County Board or from the committee put in place to organise the presentation night did not check the medals to see if they were all correct, having such things as the year and Port Lairge on the medal. Over the past few years the Waterford County Board has seen controversy after controversy follow it. A few years back it was saying we as a county wanted to travel to cork to play cork in a senior hurling game for a brown envelope, we had our Munster Reps not voting for or against the open draw in the SFC which saw our players pull out of this years McGrath Cup competition along with those from Clare, Limerick and Tipp. Many also had there hopes built up that the Munster SHC game with Cork would be played at Walsh Park this year. It was never going to happen. There was an equal chance of it getting played at Mellery's pitch than there was at Walsh Park. Someone has to take responsibility for what has happened. The fault has to be put on someone's shoulders. Somehow it will all be brushed under the carpet at the next county board meeting, and the clowns that many clubs are sending to county board meetings will accept what ever feeble excuse is offered.

Point well made

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

Agree totally with you its a shambles,laughing stock of the country AGAIN.

On more than one occasion while these fools in charge have represented us at national level i can tell you they have been compared to the lads sitting in Jacksie's Bar in Killnaskully and that is the truth. People look forward to them coming to meetings,as one delegate said to me" They could come out with anything! It makes for great entertainment!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭noiniho

Did not see where Ken made comments on twitter or anywhere else, but have seen comments made by another former Mount Sion Inter County Hurler. I wonder are people mixing the two up. The €4 or €5 medal was first mentioned as far as I can see by another former inter county player.

Both Brian flannery and Ken McGrath referenced the medals being a €5.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

Yesterday was terribly dissappointing i felt and to be honest i don't know how our season will turn around from it ..

Like the guys are in training weeks now and are only being flogged to death 5 of the 7 nights of the week so they should be sharp and although its mainly running they are doing there touch and support play should be immaculate..

Also 80% of the squad are training with other groups at the moment and with quite a number in Dublin that is no excuse for losing to a side who are in with a great shout in fitzgibbon and have been working together since October..

id say the 45-50 names in the squad should be ripped up and start again Derek..

Finally night in Dublin is a silly idea cause he will give so much information away to the media that we will be easily studied by opposition in the summer and has nothing to do with the Waterford Supporters in Dublin who are loyal supporters both in their attendance and with their pocket getting a bit of love at the start of the season so they continue pumping a lot of money into the sponsorship of the team..

:cool:
    Were you drunk writing this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

Does anyone really think there would have been this much of a stink over a few engraving errors? There have been countless mistakes on the Stanley Cup over the years - "NEW YORK ILANDERS", for crying out loud! Instead we had a much more lurid story of €5 medals. Can we expect those who were spreading this story as part of the usual aren't-the-County-Board-useless shtick to issue mea culpas, or does the fact that a mistake was made mean you can spread any oul ráméis on the basis that they were searching for The Truth?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Does anyone really think there would have been this much of a stink over a few engraving errors? There have been countless mistakes on the Stanley Cup over the years - "NEW YORK ILANDERS", for crying out loud! Instead we had a much more lurid story of €5 medals. Can we expect those who were spreading this story as part of the usual aren't-the-County-Board-useless shtick to issue mea culpas, or does the fact that a mistake was made mean you can spread any oul ráméis on the basis that they were searching for The Truth?

Déiseach, you've hit the nail on the head like oft times before.

The laughing stock of the country one says. Really? You think anyone actually cares about this outside of the County?

There was a mistake made. The players issued the medals will get them replaced with proper medals. But for god sake, it's just a medal. Even if they get post it notes with the words "All-Ireland champions" on them the fact still remains that they are as much all-ireland champions as any team before and everyone knows this.

The County Board issued a full and frank explanation of the situation, that anyone half reasonable would have assumed was a likely scenario but of course so many of us want to be outraged by our 'useless' County Board.

Not saying they're doing their job well, I'm not in the best position to judge as I don't see enough of it, but there is never any balance when they are judged here!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Yesterday was terribly dissappointing i felt and to be honest i don't know how our season will turn around from it ..

Like the guys are in training weeks now and are only being flogged to death 5 of the 7 nights of the week so they should be sharp and although its mainly running they are doing there touch and support play should be immaculate..

Also 80% of the squad are training with other groups at the moment and with quite a number in Dublin that is no excuse for losing to a side who are in with a great shout in fitzgibbon and have been working together since October..

id say the 45-50 names in the squad should be ripped up and start again Derek..

Finally night in Dublin is a silly idea cause he will give so much information away to the media that we will be easily studied by opposition in the summer and has nothing to do with the Waterford Supporters in Dublin who are loyal supporters both in their attendance and with their pocket getting a bit of love at the start of the season so they continue pumping a lot of money into the sponsorship of the team..

Fairplay, very constructive.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭The blue blaa

The dodgy medals were valued by a city jewellers at €4 each instead of €300 euro the value of the 9ct. Gold real ones that's where that price came from

The dodgy medals were valued by a city jewellers at €4 each instead of €300 euro the value of the 9ct. Gold real ones that's where that price came from

Which jeweller? Whose medal?

Going off on a tangent, but am I the only one aghast at the suggestion that the GAA are spending €7,200 (24 x €300) on Minor medals? Presumably this is also true of Senior and Under-21 medals in both codes, which means the GAA are spending over €40k each year on medals for the elite players. This is madness. These medals should have no intrinsic value, their worth is in the actions of the people who earned them. I saw a Mayo lad say that he wouldn't care if they were made of chipboard as long as someone/anyone in their county had one!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Going off on a tangent, but am I the only one aghast at the suggestion that the GAA are spending €7,200 (24 x €300) on Minor medals? Presumably this is also true of Senior and Under-21 medals in both codes, which means the GAA are spending over €40k each year on medals for the elite players. This is madness. These medals should have no intrinsic value, their worth is in the actions of the people who earned them. I saw a Mayo lad say that he wouldn't care if they were made of chipboard as long as someone/anyone in their county had one!

An All Ireland is the pinnacle in not only the player's career, but also a huge event for his family, his club, his community, schools, underage coaches. Medals often survive in the family long after a player has passed on.

The GAA would look extremely cheap if they started handing out cheap medals, particularly as those players are cash cows for the Association. How much revenue do they take in from an All Ireland final alone? How much of this is passed onto the players?

hardybuck wrote: »
    An All Ireland is the pinnacle in not only the player's career, but also a huge event for his family, his club, his community, schools, underage coaches. Medals often survive in the family long after a player has passed on.

The GAA would look extremely cheap if they started handing out cheap medals, particularly as those players are cash cows for the Association. How much revenue do they take in from an All Ireland final alone? How much of this is passed onto the players?

If we're going down that road, how much revenue do you think the GAA made from the Minors? Do you really think that is how we should be calculating the intrinsic value of the medals handed out?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

If we're going down that road, how much revenue do you think the GAA made from the Minors? Do you really think that is how we should be calculating the intrinsic value of the medals handed out?

I think you're the only one calculating the intrinsic value! I just would rather see them hand out something of quality to mark their achievement.

If we're absolutely down that road, we'll say that the minor grade is an investment by the GAA. If 20% of that team went on to play for Waterford for 5 years, which would be a conservative estimate, then the money would be recouped many times over.

It's a kind of a silly topic, the GAA is not stuck for cash. Gate receipts alone for 2012 came in at €26.7 million. Waterford wouldn't be either if they managed their affairs properly.

• Advertisement

hardybuck wrote: »
    I think you're the only one calculating the intrinsic value!

Yes, that's what I'm talking about. What did you think I was talking about? :confused:

Thinking about it a bit more, the €300 figure might be the cost if you had one medal struck and engraved. If you're getting 24 made, the cost of each additional medal might well be a lot less. If that's the case, great.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭thegambler2

Does anybody know when the full list of this years transfers will be announced?

should be in the dungarvan observer and leader tomorrow!

It seems that while some of the transfers are widely known, the committee in charge are not going to issue a list until after the next county board meeting which seems to be fixed for the last Monday of the month.

I see on twitter this evening that the Harty game between Dungarvan and Bandon tomorrow is off as the field in Castlemartyr is not playable. I think it is to be refixed for next week.

Waterford 3-18

Offaly 1-17

Team Seanie Barry
    Mark Wyse
    Liam Lawlor
    Noel Connors
    Shane McNulty
    Phillip Mahony
    Kieran Power
    Killian Fitzgerald
    Shane Sullivan
    Gavin O Brien
    Seamus Prendergast
    Pauric Mahony
    Stephen Roche
    Shane Walsh
    Cormac Heffernan
    Several subs used throughout,alot better performance than last Sunday and alot of the younger members getting a run out aswell.
    Good workout from Noelie,good to see him back. Goals scored by Jake,Stephen Roche and Cormac Heffernan.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

Anyone know what the story with Richie Foley is? Has he played a part in any challenge game yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Cheers for the report culbeag, where was that on?

Cake Man wrote: »
    Cheers for the report culbeag, where was that on?
    Tinryland County Carlow.

• Advertisement

deise_girl wrote: »
    Anyone know what the story with Richie Foley is? Has he played a part in any challenge game yet?
    I think because he only finished with ballinacourty in late nov/early dec that he has more time off than the rest of the panel! Likewise Mr Bennett ha

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement