Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2013- Mod Warning Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

cul beag wrote: »
    Waterford 3-18

Offaly 1-17

Team Seanie Barry
    Mark Wyse
    Liam Lawlor
    Noel Connors
    Shane McNulty
    Phillip Mahony
    Kieran Power
    Killian Fitzgerald
    Shane Sullivan
    Gavin O Brien
    Seamus Prendergast
    Pauric Mahony
    Stephen Roche
    Shane Walsh
    Cormac Heffernan
    Several subs used throughout,alot better performance than last Sunday and alot of the younger members getting a run out aswell.
    Good workout from Noelie,good to see him back. Goals scored by Jake,Stephen Roche and Cormac Heffernan.
    Super report.
    What were offaly like?had they anything?

We have them in 6 weeks.
    Offaly were beaten 3 weeks ago by tipp with about 7 tipp regulars in moneygall.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

Losing to the University of Limerick was undoubtedly disappointing, especially given the rising expectations among supporters with the depth of new talent arriving on the scene. We can still look towards the bright side – Waterford hit 17 wides and ten scores, giving a total of 27 to UL’s 15 (12 scores and just three wides). It is far preferable to be creating scoring chances and not taking them than not to be creating scoring chances at all, even if the end result is the same.

I reckon that the main problem against UL was attitudinal. Perhaps there was a mood of relaxation following the good performances against Dublin and UCC. This is one thing you cannot bring into a competitive game in winter conditions, especially against college teams which usually play with great spirit.

There is also the possibility that players are already feeling under pressure given that the panel for the league has to be finalised soon. To my count, Derek McGrath has used 38 players in the four games played since the beginning of the month, and that doesn’t include Stephen Daniels, David O’Sullivan, Darragh Fives, Richie Foley, Martin O’Neill, Brian O’Halloran, Stephen Bennett and Eoin Madigan, all of whom I presume are in the mix.

One has to give McGrath credit for casting the net so widely, although he probably had to, given the range of talent available, and most of those tried so far appear to have performed creditably enough, which makes his selectorial task all the more difficult.

I presume the fact that Jake Dillon, Jamie Barron, Ray Barry and Pauric Mahony played against UL has ruled them out of playing for their colleges in the Waterford Crystal cup. While I appreciate that McGrath wants to cast a close eye over all his prospective players, I still think that the colleges should have exclusive use of all their players in this competition, as their immediate need is greatest as they gear up for the Fitzgibbon Cup.

It was good to see Cormac Heffernan getting a run against Offaly. Although his progress was held up by a serious injury sustained as a minor, I have bee impressed by what I have seen of him, especially his ability in the air, his physicality and his ability to get in the face of opponents.

Speaking of which, looking through the list of players in contention for places on the county panel, it is very noticeable how many of them have already sustained serious injuries, mainly in their late teens. These include Stephen Daniels, Philip and Pauric Mahony, Darragh Fives, Richie Foley, Shane Walsh, Gavin O’Brien, Martin O’Neill, Brian O’Halloran, Eoin Madigan, Cormac Heffernan and Stephen Bennett. This is a worrying development. I think every county should have a Player Welfare Committee and/or Officer to monitor and control the amount of games played by elite players and also the amount and level of training and conditioning they are engaged in.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Giveitfong wrote: »
    Speaking of which, looking through the list of players in contention for places on the county panel, it is very noticeable how many of them have already sustained serious injuries, mainly in their late teens. These include Stephen Daniels, Philip and Pauric Mahony, Darragh Fives, Richie Foley, Shane Walsh, Gavin O’Brien, Martin O’Neill, Brian O’Halloran, Eoin Madigan, Cormac Heffernan and Stephen Bennett. This is a worrying development. I think every county should have a Player Welfare Committee and/or Officer to monitor and control the amount of games played by elite players and also the amount and level of training and conditioning they are engaged in.

I presume you would have heard/read Prof. Niall Moyna's recent research and comments on this issue. Via blood samples he found that certain players on his DCU squads were actually close to kidney failure due to the amount of training they were doing with various squads.

He recommended that each county appointed a welfare officer or liasion to make managers aware of each lad's workload, and to pull him out of training where necessary. One problem at the moment is that if a guy is on 2 or 3 panels, each manager won't know what the other is doing, and what is being expected of the player. Or they won't care and will plough him into the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭babs123

Hi everybody
    was always only a follower but decided to join. (not the johns)
    What in the name of god is going on with the johns and rathgormack. we all know who the johns are and if you don't you will soon enough when they take your most promising players. Is anybody else feeling this??? we truly have enough. They have no more players they can take from us. Needs to be addressed. I think the whole transfer system needs to be addressed in this county. The county boards needs to be strong on this and it needs addressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭The blue blaa

babs123 wrote: »
    Hi everybody
    was always only a follower but decided to join. (not the johns)
    What in the name of god is going on with the johns and rathgormack. we all know who the johns are and if you don't you will soon enough when they take your most promising players. Is anybody else feeling this??? we truly have enough. They have no more players they can take from us. Needs to be addressed. I think the whole transfer system needs to be addressed in this county. The county boards needs to be strong on this and it needs addressing.

Excuse my ignorance but who are the johns??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭dzilla

Excuse my ignorance but who are the johns??

Ditto

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭IanVW

Lol ditto+2

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

The John Mitchell's club maybe? Would have been involved in a few player transfers in the last few years...

Just a guess

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

Have never heard of anyone calling the Mitchell's the Johns though!!

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭IanVW

Anyone any idea whats going on in the Ballygunner club? Seen colm bonnor and andy maloney were the management team for the year ahead but then quit and now there after joining ballyhale shamrocks?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭doublejj

they were not wanted by players apparantly...transfers system complete joke....kill and fenor joining whats that about both can field teams just looking for handy chamiponships....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

IanVW wrote: »
    Anyone any idea whats going on in the Ballygunner club? Seen colm bonnor and andy maloney were the management team for the year ahead but then quit and now there after joining ballyhale shamrocks?

There was some sort of infighting going on after bonner was appointed. There was another management team in the running, involving one of the o sullivans (I think darragh) but bonner was ratified and it appeats it wasnt a popular decision in some quarters. Bonner realised he didnt have the full backing of everyone that he should have so he decided to walk before the season even began. Thats the consensus ive got from it anyway

On another note best of luck to Ml Ryan on his new role as manager of st marys clonmel. Was never going to be too long out of the game

Great guess my friend
    I sense your club has suffered maybe at their hands

It says it all about Colm B when he went as selector for Waterford and went back playing intermediate hurling for Tipperary against Waterford. You would have to question loyalty or lack of . Follows the money if you ask me. Wexford etc.....to the current fiasco

Have you been watching the last couple of years and club championship. That might explain where he is.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭toxicity234

Super report.
    What were offaly like?had they anything?

We have them in 6 weeks.
    Offaly were beaten 3 weeks ago by tipp with about 7 tipp regulars in moneygall.

But offaly only had four for last year team that played Waterford and Offaly had 11 player 22 or younger against Tipp.

The Offaly team from last night had 14 different players for the team that played Saturday. The Offaly Panel is still missing the likes of Shane Dooley, Dan Curmins, David Kenny, all recovering after surgery. as well as 4 or 5 duel players but they could have being back last night. I'm not sure

The Offaly site have the final score as Waterford 3-19 Offaly 1-19

did you see any game in the last 4 years club or county. Football doesn't count

:)
    Have you been watching the last couple of years and club championship. That might explain where he is.

I see St Marys have set the bar very high this year in clonmel. Did they read a paper or watch an interview on TV from Scully.
    Scully for Tipp manager next. St Marys better hope the great Ken and Sean are gone with him.

Obviously there is great ambition within the club to get a manager of such high regard!! is it St marys ladies football team!! That would make more sense. Excuse my ignorance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

Obviously there is great ambition within the club to get a manager of such high regard!! is it St marys ladies football team!! That would make more sense. Excuse my ignorance
    gway you troll, and stop talking to yourself

I see St Marys have set the bar very high this year in clonmel. Did they read a paper or watch an interview on TV from Scully.
    Scully for Tipp manager next. St Marys better hope the great Ken and Sean are gone with him.
    did you see any game in the last 4 years club or county. Football doesn't count

G'way boy your boring

Any challenge matches coming up for the seniors lads?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭seananigans

dzilla wrote: »

`that was brought up in the dublin meeting with McGrath the difficulty in getting them ,he said he has offaly and I think wexford as well as a few others lined up ,hopefully what was said will be taken on board and it'll be more obvoius in future

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭enoughtaken

dzilla wrote: »

Wexford and Galway within the next week. Dates and times to be confirmed. Will post when I hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 culbaire666

Any list of transfers available?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

But offaly only had four for last year team that played Waterford and Offaly had 11 player 22 or younger against Tipp.

The Offaly team from last night had 14 different players for the team that played Saturday. The Offaly Panel is still missing the likes of Shane Dooley, Dan Curmins, David Kenny, all recovering after surgery. as well as 4 or 5 duel players but they could have being back last night. I'm not sure

The Offaly site have the final score as Waterford 3-19 Offaly 1-19
    Sound thanks for the info

`that was brought up in the dublin meeting with McGrath the difficulty in getting them ,he said he has offaly and I think wexford as well as a few others lined up ,hopefully what was said will be taken on board and it'll be more obvoius in future
    Hi Lads
    I don't think it is Derek McGraths job to be instructing and telling everybody when challenge games are on etc. Do you think Brian Cody is doing likewise or Davy Fitz. The fixtures are public knowledge league and championship. This is what the man and the team will be judged on after all. Derek Mcgrath has enough to be doing with out notifying the general public. It is better to keep these things in-house anyway in my opinion. That's what has happened in Waterford during the last decade. WLR and the public turning the Waterford set up into a carnival. Leave the man do his job and find out from the secretary when challenge games are on. If you don't know who that is ask when you are buying your deise draw ticket!
    Babs 123

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭seananigans

Hi Lads
    I don't think it is Derek McGraths job to be instructing and telling everybody when challenge games are on etc. Do you think Brian Cody is doing likewise or Davy Fitz. The fixtures are public knowledge league and championship. This is what the man and the team will be judged on after all. Derek Mcgrath has enough to be doing with out notifying the general public. It is better to keep these things in-house anyway in my opinion. That's what has happened in Waterford during the last decade. WLR and the public turning the Waterford set up into a carnival. Leave the man do his job and find out from the secretary when challenge games are on. If you don't know who that is ask when you are buying your deise draw ticket!
    Babs 123

Never Said it was his job, in fact I completely agree he shouldn't be doing it, I simply said it was a pain point raised that people don't know when they're on ,and it was acknowledged

• Advertisement

King henry just tweeted that he is looking forward to working with Colm Bonnar. That can only be good for WIT cos I presume the king must be workin in WIT now and that's what he is tweeting about!!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement