Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2013- Mod Warning Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭deadybai

Heard they are to play Wexford later this week , and Galway at the weekend

are you sure? Galway play Kilkenny next Sunday in the Walsh cup

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭IanVW

Heard they are to play Wexford later this week , and Galway at the weekend

Arent galway playing kilkenny in the walsh cup semi next weekend?

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Deise Doodler

No can't say that I am, ,pretty sure they are playing Galway soon but could or obviously am wrong about when, just heard that on Thursday source is usually good.but he didn't swear on it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭noiniho

Personally, I don't think Austin Gleeson had the defensive instincts necessary to play on the half back line.

Whilst spectacular at times over the minor campaign there are certainly a few things in needs to iron out.

Sometimes he needs to let the ball go faster and on a few occasions going for the 100 yard ball he took too much out of it and got blocked down in dangerous positions.

If he is to make it centre back he needs to work on his tackling, gave away too many lazy frees, like in the Kilkenny game when they had a very accurate free taker (he is not the only back to deserve that feedback from that day)

Quit soloing up the field, leaving a gap in the centre (Limerick drawn game)

Things that he got away with in the minor but he would not get away with in the senior, still he is young and that will hopefully come, I think that he has too much going for him and if he is given the right guidance will make a great centre back for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭babs123

noiniho wrote: »
    Whilst spectacular at times over the minor campaign there are certainly a few things in needs to iron out.

Sometimes he needs to let the ball go faster and on a few occasions going for the 100 yard ball he took too much out of it and got blocked down in dangerous positions.

If he is to make it centre back he needs to work on his tackling, gave away too many lazy frees, like in the Kilkenny game when they had a very accurate free taker (he is not the only back to deserve that feedback from that day)

Things that he got away with in the minor but he would not get away with in the senior, still he is young and that will hopefully come, I think that he has too much going for him and if he is given the right guidance will make a great centre back for us.
    Finally a man that makes sense. You obviously go to the games like me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭sid wallace

noiniho wrote: »

I wouldn't disagree with any of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

PowerPoint presentation to a room of about 50 supporters. Possibly the best attended meeting of the Supporters club that I have been at. Followed by a Q&A session. Two hours all in. No journalists present.

While the session was essentially an appeal for funds, he covered every aspect of the panel and the running of it that one could reasonably expect. He was very open and frank about himself and his background and his failure to make it as a senior county hurler. He took full responsibility for the loss to UL and explained how he thought this came about. He was very anxious that the whole county should pull together and that there should be no more East v West ****e. He explained how he thought the team would and what the plan was for the league. He is an impressive chap who clearly spends every hour thinking and reading about the game. Whether that will translate into success, only time will tell.

Sounds good. I'm convinced it was his interview that won him the job over Peter Queally when the tide of results seemed to be flowing against him. What did he say about his failure to make it as a senior county hurler? Voyeuristic on my part, but he clearly isn't keeping it a secret.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Ropaire

deiseach wrote: »
    Sounds good. I'm convinced it was his interview that won him the job over Peter Queally when the tide of results seemed to be flowing against him. What did he say about his his failure to make it as a senior county hurler? Voyeuristic on my part, but he clearly isn't keeping it a secret.

I'm guessing it wasnt drink and women like the rest of us!

Deise_2012 wrote: »
    Did you get dropped off the panel by Michael Ryan? Just wondering because you won't shut up about him, getting annoying now. You give me any manager in the country and give him a team like Waterford had the last 2 years with such limited resources, see how they get on in the league and championship. You're definately from the city anyways
    a mid county fanatic is all. Michael Ryan hadn't the authority to drop anybody even when he was "in charge" let alone me.. Ken and sean picked the team and they done a fantastic job and won a lot of respect and brought some professionalism to the an otherwise hap-hazard setup. I wont comment on this man again until we see how he goes in Clonmel. By god that will be interesting!!!

Ropaire wrote: »
    I'm guessing it wasnt drink and women like the rest of us!

Who was it who said "if I won another Minor provincial medal, I'd have to get myself a new mickey"?

• Advertisement

babs123 wrote: »
    a mid county fanatic is all. Michael Ryan hadn't the authority to drop anybody even when he was "in charge" let alone me.. Ken and sean picked the team and they done a fantastic job and won a lot of respect and brought some professionalism to the an otherwise hap-hazard setup. I wont comment on this man again until we see how he goes in Clonmel. By god that will be interesting!!!

We'll hold you to that.

deiseach wrote: »
    Who was it who said "if I won another Minor provincial medal, I'd have to get myself a new mickey"?
    Paul Foley!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭seananigans

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Former Waterford captain Fergal Hartley COULD be set to take over the Ballygunner Senior Hurlers after Colm Bonner resigned as Manager.</p>— Thomas Keane (@ThomasKeane1973) <a href=" 20, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Former Waterford captain Fergal Hartley COULD be set to take over the Ballygunner Senior Hurlers after Colm Bonner resigned as Manager.</p>— Thomas Keane (@ThomasKeane1973) <a href=" 20, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I was told that Fergal Hartley was taking it over, as if it was a done deal?

hardybuck wrote: »
    I was told that Fergal Hartley was taking it over, as if it was a done deal?
    I heard Jason Moran doing the strength and conditioning. Anybody here that. He was involved in the u21 setup with fergal. If they have him they will be fit
    and they will love fish fingers.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

I heard Jason Moran doing the strength and conditioning. Anybody here that. He was involved in the u21 setup with fergal. If they have him they will be fit
    and they will love fish fingers.
    That's a good result so for the Sullivan/O Mahony contingent if Hartley goes in there?

cul beag wrote: »
    That's a good result so for the Sullivan/O Mahony contingent if Hartley goes in there?
    I suppose nobody could question a man like fergal within d club to be fair to him. Heard they are struggling to get back room team together and physical coach.

Personally, I don't think Austin Gleeson had the defensive instincts necessary to play on the half back line.
    His exhibition against Cork in the Munster Championship last year was proably the best Minor performance at centre back for Waterford since Kens performance against Clare in Bansha when he was a Minor. To say the man doesn't have the defensive instincts is bizarre to say the least. I think the boy is that good and is an exceptional talent at no6.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

His exhibition against Cork in the Munster Championship last year was proably the best Minor performance at centre back for Waterford since Kens performance against Clare in Bansha when he was a Minor. To say the man doesn't have the defensive instincts is bizarre to say the least. I think the boy is that good and is an exceptional talent at no6.

Whats even more bizzarre is disagreeing with yourself

robopaddy wrote: »
    Whats even more bizzarre is disagreeing with yourself
    How am I disagreeing with myself. It was said that he had no defensive instincts so I disagreed with that. I am only on this a short while and I must say robopadddy that mensa wont be knocking on your door anytime soon. I am ignoring your posts from now on.

• Advertisement

Did anybody hear about GAA clubs changing there field to community status. i.e Signing it over to the community and making it a community field. It means that you can get leader grants etc for development purposes. Does anybody know a club which has done this or looking to do it.
    ( this is a bit advanced for you robopaddy one thinks you be better to opt out of this one!!!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

What's the story with transferring to a club in a different County? Is there a cut off point, what's the deadline does anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭cleaboy boy

Was anyone present at last night's county board meeting? I believe the structures for the various county championships were being discussed. The draws are set to take place on Thursday the 23rd as far as I know, anyone care to clarify?

What's the story with transferring to a club in a different County? Is there a cut off point, what's the deadline does anyone know?
    No cut off point. You can transfer at any stage in the year

No cut off point. You can transfer at any stage in the year

Provided that you haven't togged out with your home club in that same year.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭quintain

Did anybody hear about GAA clubs changing there field to community status. i.e Signing it over to the community and making it a community field. It means that you can get leader grants etc for development purposes.

Ballygunners gym is always referred to as a "community" gym on all literature and communications. I believe that they received a great deal of funding for their modern facilities from government agencies other than the GAA I.e grants from other general sports bodies. I don't have the details to hand, but the figures are all available online if you look hard enough.

Does this allow other teams to use the facilities as they don't belong to the GAA?

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭quintain

Does this allow other teams to use the facilities as they don't belong to the GAA?
    That is a very good question to which I have no answer!
    I am speaking specifically about the gym and indoor hall.
    I imagine if a local soccer team wanted it, their money is the same colour as anyone else's. but it the mount sion under 12s were looking for an indoor facility to hire there might be a few raised eyebrows (in both clubs!!)
    I'm not a member of ballygunner but I am a tax payer and it as been built with generous govern
    Needn't grants, I would have no qualms about using it

quintain wrote: »
    That is a very good question to which I have no answer!
    I am speaking specifically about the gym and indoor hall.
    I imagine if a local soccer team wanted it, their money is the same colour as anyone else's. but it the mount sion under 12s were looking for an indoor facility to hire there might be a few raised eyebrows (in both clubs!!)
    I'm not a member of ballygunner but I am a tax payer and it as been built with generous govern
    Needn't grants, I would have no qualms about using it

I always thought that would be a good loophole, I'm no fan of soccer, but money is money ,and should be exploited

• Advertisement

Nemo Rangers got a rap on the knuckles for renting out their facilities to other sports.

I think it's a no brainer. If it allows the GAA club to fund facilities, which they would have first preference over and rent out at free periods, then you can see the appeal.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement