Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2013- Mod Warning Post #1

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

noiniho wrote: »
    DLS had nothing to play for, missing all there best players up against a team fighting for tere lives in the championship at 5/2... I have a few bets myself I that is a recipe for throwing a few on Tallow. Why are people making such a big deal out of this?

It's simple, bitterness the only explanation. If Lismore had just beaten Ballyduff then there's no issue. I doubt that would have affected DLS and Tallow, only that Tallow mightn't have been too bothered themselves. But like DLS have no obligation to field a full strength team as they were guaranteed top of the group.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭culbaire

It's simple, bitterness the only explanation. If Lismore had just beaten Ballyduff then there's no issue. I doubt that would have affected DLS and Tallow, only that Tallow mightn't have been too bothered themselves. But like DLS have no obligation to field a full strength team as they were guaranteed top of the group.
    Neither has any other team in future in Waterford hurling/football any obligation to field a full strength team at any time. A precedent has now been set. Remember people paid hard earned money go to see last night's match.

culbaire wrote: »
    Neither has any other team in future in Waterford hurling/football any obligation to field a full strength team at any time. A precedent has now been set. Remember people paid hard earned money go to see last night's match.

It was well known fact that De La Salle would be very short this weekend. Anybody that read the papers during the week, never mind this thread, would have known that.

Secondly, of those that did go I wonder how many would have gone if they thought De La Salle were going to destroy them? How many neutrals would be complaining about seeing an upset that had a big impact on how the quarter final matchups unfolded?

And I would remind you that teams never had an obligation to field full strength teams (nor the capacity to more often than not, which I have no dobut was a factor in DLS's depleted lineup yesterday) before either, and this is not the first instance of players being rested.

Last night's game between De La Salle and Tallow offered far more value for money than either of the other two in terms of going to see a competitive encounter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

A few tasty looking quarter finals there. DLS v Gunners, Tallow v Sion, Ballyduff v FMW and is it Passage v Abbeyside?

A bit of a potential banana skin for DLS there, Id say they would have preferred to avoid BG at this stage. Ballygunner will be really up for this and in a local derby its one that could go either way. The other 3 games are all hard enough to call aswell nothing straight forward there in fairness for any team. Tallow will quietly fancy taking Sion who are missing some key players and the other 2 you just couldnt call. Anyone know what way the semi final draws would go?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭seananigans

anyone else rooting for mayo? im not a footie person , but i really think they are the Waterford of football

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,335 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

robopaddy wrote: »
    A few tasty looking quarter finals there. DLS v Gunners, Tallow v Sion, Ballyduff v FMW and is it Passage v Abbeyside? Nothing straight forward there in fairness for any team. Anyone know what way the semi final draws would go?

Have a feeling it will be a De La Salle vs Mount Sion county final this year but have a feeling the semi draw will be

DLS/Ballygunner vs Mount Sion/Tallow
    Ballyduff/Fourmilewater vs Passage/Abbeyside

DLS v Ballygunner
    Fourmilewater v Abbeyside
    Mount Sion v Tallow
    Passage v Ballyduff Upper

Those are the quarter finals, after Abbeyside 1-14 Dungarvan 0-16 points and Ballygunner 2-17 Passage 1-09 results today, sending last years finalists out of the competition. In the other game Mount Sion won 0-17 to 0-10.

Roanmore v An Rinn in the relegation playoff.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Hslaw

anyone else rooting for mayo? im not a footie person , but i really think they are the Waterford of football

My brothers wife is from Mayo so I always shout for them. I like Tyrone too but.tbh I don't really care who wins the Sam Maguire.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭seananigans

Hslaw wrote: »
    My brothers wife is from Mayo so I always shout for them. I like Tyrone too but.tbh I don't really care who wins the Sam Maguire.

lookin up the stats there, been in 6 finals in a row without doing it ( a record) and not done it since '51 , i think it would give hope to our lads something awful if the big ball taboo was broken

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭doz

A few tasty looking quarter finals there. DLS v Gunners, Tallow v Sion, Ballyduff v FMW and is it Passage v Abbeyside?

A bit of a potential banana skin for DLS there, Id say they would have preferred to avoid BG at this stage. Ballygunner will be really up for this and in a local derby its one that could go either way. The other 3 games are all hard enough to call aswell nothing straight forward there in fairness for any team. Tallow will quietly fancy taking Sion who are missing some key players and the other 2 you just couldnt call. Anyone know what way the semi final draws would go?

FMW V Abbeyside and Passage V Ballyduff I think. All quarters look tough to call though I would expect Passage to beat Ballyduff with a bit to spare.

Was at the Dungarvan Abbeyside game, thought the standard was quite poor in all honesty, a lot of poor wides and sloppy scrappy play. Game was there for taking for Dungarvan but penalty given to Abbeyside looked highly debatable. Nice to see Abbeyside going well but I thought they looked pretty limited out there in all honesty. If De La Salle beat Ballygunner it's hard to see anyone beating them.

• Advertisement

doz wrote: »
    FMW V Abbeyside and Passage V Ballyduff I think. All quarters look tough to call though I would expect Passage to beat Ballyduff with a bit to spare.

Was at the Dungarvan Abbeyside game, thought the standard was quite poor in all honesty, a lot of poor wides and sloppy scrappy play. Game was there for taking for Dungarvan but penalty given to Abbeyside looked highly debatable. Nice to see Abbeyside going well but I thought they looked pretty limited out there in all honesty. If De La Salle beat Ballygunner it's hard to see anyone beating them.

Did they put Kevin Daly on Podge Hurney? How much did he score off him?

Did they put Kevin Daly on Podge Hurney? How much did he score off him?

Yeah man for man, Pudge didn't get a sniff first half. Got a goal in second half that got them going but generally Kevin had a good game and there were some people calling for Pudge to be taken off!!! Kevin Daly really is a great defender and the clear physical disadvantage didn't deter him at all. Abbeyside looked more potent when they put Gary up FF and he won the debatable penalty. Apparently some trouble in Dungarvan camp but at 0-11 to 0-4 up at one stage you wouldn't have thought it. They should have gone on from there but you have to give Abbeyside credit for hauling themselves back. Was slightly conflicted at this game having lived on both sides of the bridge, quietest I've ever been at a game!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

Pudge won the game for Abbeyside in the 2nd half when he was moved out to centre forward, he scored a goal and won numerous frees. He didn't get a sniff off Kevin Daly in the 1st half though, not bad for an 18 year old hold pudge to just 1 point from play and also done very well on Gary Hurney in the 2nd half. Kenny Moore had a great game for Dungarvan he cleared some ball. Maurice Power, Richie Foley also stood for Abbeyside but my motm goes to Patrick Hurney

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Sami Jenkis

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Have a feeling it will be a De La Salle vs Mount Sion county final this year but have a feeling the semi draw will be

DLS/Ballygunner vs Mount Sion/Tallow
    Ballyduff/Fourmilewater vs Passage/Abbeyside

Last year the semi final draw was done as the players were leaving the field after the last quarter final was finished. I have heard from a club secretary that a proposal is going to be made at the next county board meeting, that the semi final draw take place before the quarter finals are played, which in my opinion is a better way to do it.
    DLS/Ballygunner should be a cracker. Gunners seem to be coming good at the right time, and it will be tough to call. Can see Fourmile beating ballyduff, Mount Sion, although poor against Roanmore yesterday will fancy their chances against Tallow. The other game should be a tight affair, but can really see Abbeyside getting one over on Passage.

Deise_2012 wrote: »
    Pudge won the game for Abbeyside in the 2nd half when he was moved out to centre forward, he scored a goal and won numerous frees. He didn't get a sniff off Kevin Daly in the 1st half though, not bad for an 18 year old hold pudge to just 1 point from play and also done very well on Gary Hurney in the 2nd half. Kenny Moore had a great game for Dungarvan he cleared some ball. Maurice Power, Richie Foley also stood for Abbeyside but my motm goes to Patrick Hurney

It was a brave move to take Pudge out from FF but I've always thought he operates better in that position where he is more involved in the play. That's where he played with county intermediates a couple of years back. Worked out well for them last night. Abbeyside v FMW will be a tough battle next day out!

AFAIK Kevin Daly isn't even 17 yet, I know for a fact he is underage for minor again next year as is Paddy Curran. Both great prospects and making great strides, though I felt Paddy was getting a bit of off the ball treatment last night that the ref did not pick up on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Does anyone know the dates for those quarter finals? DLS v Ballygunner will be a cracker.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

hardybuck wrote: »
    Does anyone know the dates for those quarter finals? DLS v Ballygunner will be a cracker.

Weekend of the 14/15 but no exact times and venues have been fixed yet!

deise_girl wrote: »
    Weekend of the 14/15 but no exact times and venues have been fixed yet!

Well DLS v Ballygunner will take place in Walsh Park. FMW v Abbeyside will take place in Fraher Field, and probably Mount Sion v Tallow as well.

Either Passage or Ballyduff Upper will get stung with a long trip to either Walsh Park or Fraher Field. Even somewhere like Carriganore or Kilmac might be fairer to both.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

hardybuck wrote: »
    Well DLS v Ballygunner will take place in Walsh Park. FMW v Abbeyside will take place in Fraher Field, and probably Mount Sion v Tallow as well.

Either Passage or Ballyduff Upper will get stung with a long trip to either Walsh Park or Fraher Field. Even somewhere like Carriganore or Kilmac might be fairer to both.

True although couldnt Mount Sion/Tallow end up in Walsh park either?

2 double headers would be lovely but I wont hold my breath..

deise_girl wrote: »
    True although couldnt Mount Sion/Tallow end up in Walsh park either?

2 double headers would be lovely but I wont hold my breath..

I'd say not, Tallow is a bit of a spin to Dungarvan so to bring them to play Mount Sion in what would effectively be a home fixture in Walsh Park wouldn't be fair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭shoddy14

It was a brave move to take Pudge out from FF but I've always thought he operates better in that position where he is more involved in the play. That's where he played with county intermediates a couple of years back. Worked out well for them last night. Abbeyside v FMW will be a tough battle next day out!

AFAIK Kevin Daly isn't even 17 yet, I know for a fact he is underage for minor again next year as is Paddy Curran. Both great prospects and making great strides, though I felt Paddy was getting a bit of off the ball treatment last night that the ref did not pick up on.

You know for a fact hes underage for minor next year? Daly played in the county final last year V DLS, his 1st year being out of U16. This is his last year minor. No wonder there is so much bulls#!t written on this form.

Its Dalys last year minor but P. Curran is minor again next year.

Off this years minor team Paddy Curran, Cormac Curran, Colm Roche, Shane Bennett, Conor Gleeson are all minor again next year along with a good number of the extended panel so theres the nucleus of a good team again next year

Its Dalys last year minor but P. Curran is minor again next year.

Off this years minor team Paddy Curran, Cormac Curran, Colm Roche, Shane Bennett, Conor Gleeson are all minor again next year along with a good number of the extended panel so theres the nucleus of a good team again next year

I stand corrected if that is the case with Kevin. As you have pointed out there is a strong nucleus of players available again next year and bodes very well going forward. Great to see a number of the minor players getting experience in the senior championship this year.

shoddy14 wrote: »
    You know for a fact hes underage for minor next year? Daly played in the county final last year V DLS, his 1st year being out of U16. This is his last year minor. No wonder there is so much bulls#!t written on this form.

I stand corrected on that but do you not have anything more constructive you could add rather than berating someone for a mistake of fact and complaining about the forum in general? If you don't like it just clear off.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭shoddy14

I stand corrected on that but do you not have anything more constructive you could add rather than berating someone for a mistake of fact and complaining about the forum in general? If you don't like it just clear off.

People shouldn't be stating 'facts' when they havn't a notion what they are talking about

shoddy14 wrote: »
    People shouldn't be stating 'facts' when they havn't a notion what they are talking about

So on the basis of one mistake I haven't a notion of what I'm talking about? Grow up a bit and stop being a keyboard warrior, we're all here to discuss GAA and everyone is entitled to am opinion and to make mistakes. Instead of arguing over an error on my part we should be discussing what a great prospect Daly is going forward and the great game he had last night and his solid performances for the minor team which he has captained so well.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

Abbeyside 2-11 Dungarvan 0-16

Abbeyside ground out a one-point win over luckless Dungarvan in Fraher Field last night to qualify for a quarter final against Fourmilewater with last year’s defeated county finalists now out of this year’s competition. This was a very similar game to last year’s draw between the same sides. Dungarvan were by far the more skillful team and were also well organised, playing to a clear game plan which involved working the ball out of defence with good stick passing to unmarked players.

There was little evidence to support recent reports that Abbeyside’s hurling has greatly improved this year. Their first touch was woeful, their striking and decision-making were frequently poor and their only game plan appeared to be to hit long ball to a forward line which, with the notable exception of Pudge Hurney, was absolutely toothless. Their legendary indiscipline was also very much in evidence, giving Dungarvan sharpshooter Patrick Curran plenty of opportunities to show off his skills (he converted eight frees in all). However, Curran will rue missing one straighforward free midway through the second half which possibly cost his side the game.

Ultimately Abbeyside’s victory can be put down to their superior physicality, good fighting spirit, a few excellent individual displays, and some good fortune.

The game was played in good conditions before as big a crowd as I have ever seen at a group stage championship game in Waterford. Abbeyside opened brightly enough, and led by three points to one after ten minutes. One of those points should have been a goal, with Pudge Hurney blazing over the bar from close range. Dungarvan then took over completely, with Kenny Moore marshalling the defence superbly and JamieNagle dominating a midfield. By the interval they were five points ahead, 0-9 to 0-4. Abbeyside did have their chances, but terrible shooting saw them racking up ten wides to Dungarvan’s four.

When Dungarvan added two quick points after half time to go seven ahead, the outlook looked bleak for Abbeyside. However, driven on by captain John Hurney and Maurice Power, they fought their way back into the game. They pulled a couple of points back and then Pudge Hurney gave them a lifeline, picking up a breaking ball and driving through the Dungarvan defence to shoot to the roof of the net. Then, with ten minutes left, they were awarded a dubious penalty when Gary Hurney grabbed a long ball in and went to ground in the Dungarvan goalmouth. Goalkeeper Stephen Enright came up to take the penalty which was poorly taken but somehow squeezed over the line off a defender’s hurley, to put the Villagers one point ahead.

This set the scene for a hectic seesaw finish. Dungarvan regained the lead, and it was point for point until Mark Gorman provided the winning point with an excellent point from out on the right sideline. There was further drama when referee Michael O’Brien rather harshly penalised Pudge Hurney for over carrying 35 yards out from the Abbeyside goal. Dungarvan had to get a goal to stay in the competition, and Abbeyside supporters no doubt were fearful of a repetition of the goal they conceded to Ballyduff in a similar situation in the county semi-final a few years ago. However, in attempting to find a way past the massed Abbeyside defenders, Jamie Nagle shot wide with the referee immediately blowing the final whistle.

Abbeyside: Stephen Enright (1-0, penalty); Shane O’Donovan; Seán O’Hare; John Power; Maurice Power; John Gorman; John Hurney; Richie Foley (0-1); David Collins; Gavin Breen; Gary Hurney; Mark Fives; Mark Ferncombe; Patrick Hurney (1-4); Mark Gorman (0-6, 5 frees). Subs: Shane Crotty for Breen; Michael O’Halloran for Crotty; Conor Hickey for Collins.

Dungarvan: Darren Duggan; Conor Sheridan; Kevin Daly; Karl Duggan; Shane Kearney; Kenny Moore; Seán Ryan; Ryan Donnelly; Jamie Nagle (0-1); Cormac Curran (0-3); Gavin Crotty (0-1); Eoin Healy; Patrick Curran (0-9, 8 frees); Colm Curran (0-1); Cathal Curran (0-1).

I stand corrected if that is the case with Kevin. As you have pointed out there is a strong nucleus of players available again next year and bodes very well going forward. Great to see a number of the minor players getting experience in the senior championship this year.

Aswell as that a good lot of this years Dungarvan Colleges team are up to the age for minor next year and a good few of Blackwater team who won the Dean Ryan in 2011 so there will be huge compeition for places. I always had next years minor team as the ones to watch as they won the Tony Forristal in 2010 and the Nenagh Co-op Plate last year a very talented group but this years team came good aswell.

A good couple years ahead touch wood

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭cornerboy

Sounds like Dungarvan were far superior!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Black Suir

Yeah man for man, Pudge didn't get a sniff first half. Got a goal in second half that got them going but generally Kevin had a good game and there were some people calling for Pudge to be taken off!!! Kevin Daly really is a great defender and the clear physical disadvantage didn't deter him at all. Abbeyside looked more potent when they put Gary up FF and he won the debatable penalty. Apparently some trouble in Dungarvan camp but at 0-11 to 0-4 up at one stage you wouldn't have thought it. They should have gone on from there but you have to give Abbeyside credit for hauling themselves back. Was slightly conflicted at this game having lived on both sides of the bridge, quietest I've ever been at a game!

Just two of Abbeyside's four points in the first half. Anyone know what is going on in Dungarvan. I heard people over say that Jamie Nagle had taken over the team. I also noticed that bodies that are usually on the line were not there. I did hear one person get verbally abused in the game with Ballygunner by another club member and noticed that the person in I heard getting abused was not on the line last night.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement