Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2013- Mod Warning Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

Deise_2012 wrote: »
    work away!

Sound lad

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Ropaire

Would you quit it with your agenda, what do you expect to happen as a result of your bitching? change the world? fact is the lads make their own decisions and that needs to be respected, so stop trying to stifle the discussion by funneling this down to your small parish narrowmindedness , you;ve made your point .time to build a bridge and get over it (preferably to KK so we don't have to fecking hear from ye)

I don't have an agenda, that was tongue in cheek boy.

Daly will make a good full back in time, Shane Fives for me is the best option to play there at the minute assuming Lawlor is struggling. For me it's all about partnerships and matchups though. While it's not ideal, your full back doesn't need to be seriously mobile if theres a center back who likes to play deep like the Brick does in front of him. You'd have to have Lawlor in there if fit though, while he's looked shaky at times he's never really been skinned!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Just from my point of view, Liam Lawlor played the best game he's ever had for Waterford in the Kilkenny game. One of our best players on the pitch that day. It would be my own view that in those circumstances you would want to ensure he is fit to play come championship.

On the point "he won't be around forever" well you could say the same about Brick, Molumphy and Seamus Prender but I could scarcely imagine nayone using that as a stick to beat them with, because it would be a ridiculous argument.

Finally, by doing right by Lawlor and ensuring he doesn't injure his knees again by playing games he doesn't need to play, the management are also allowing themselves the opportunity to test out the likes of Shane Fives, Barry Coughlan, Tadhg Bourke (though far to early to consider him for the starting berth) etc at full back. Thus, if any of those players do shine they will dislodge Lawlor (can't see it happening this year if he's fit, which he has been for most of the last 4 years so I think maybe some people need to relaz a bit).

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

In my view Lawlor is the best option we have at full back at the moment and he has been for a few years now. He isnt the most stylish or pacy of hurlers we have, but he has been very solid and dependable, something we had lacked at full back for about a decade. He is arguably one of our most important players at the moment.

Shane Fives is a classy hurler and could well be future full back as he gains more experience at senior level. Kevin Daly is a real prospect but the lad is still in school and we are talking intercounty full back so, realistically, it could be 3 or 4 years before he is ready. Barry Coughlan was arguably the most improved player in the club scene in Waterford in 2013 and looks a genuine option now. Again, he is young and inexperienced so a few games this year and next as well as a couple of more years playing full back with Ballygunner and we will have a better idea of his standing.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭babs123

Just from my point of view, Liam Lawlor played the best game he's ever had for Waterford in the Kilkenny game. One of our best players on the pitch that day. It would be my own view that in those circumstances you would want to ensure he is fit to play come championship.

On the point "he won't be around forever" well you could say the same about Brick, Molumphy and Seamus Prender but I could scarcely imagine nayone using that as a stick to beat them with, because it would be a ridiculous argument.

Finally, by doing right by Lawlor and ensuring he doesn't injure his knees again by playing games he doesn't need to play, the management are also allowing themselves the opportunity to test out the likes of Shane Fives, Barry Coughlan, Tadhg Bourke (though far to early to consider him for the starting berth) etc at full back. Thus, if any of those players do shine they will dislodge Lawlor (can't see it happening this year if he's fit, which he has been for most of the last 4 years so I think maybe some people need to relaz a bit).
    You will be eating those words yet. Lawlor hasnt been around near as long as brick and the other players you mentioned. It wasn't so long ago he was only on the intermediate team. You will not get a more committed bunch than those 3 players. Lawlor is hedging at the moment and isn't putting it in. Seamus , brick are up the front at all the running drills at training whilst liam is getting a rub. I have been to training and he can take part in the games but not the running. Come on. He was exposed in extra time against Kilkenny last year and thats when the game opened up. Teams will target him if he starts but I don't think he will. We shall see

• Advertisement

babs123 wrote: »
    You will be eating those words yet. Lawlor hasnt been around near as long as brick and the other players you mentioned. It wasn't so long ago he was only on the intermediate team. You will not get a more committed bunch than those 3 players. Lawlor is hedging at the moment and isn't putting it in. Seamus , brick are up the front at all the running drills at training whilst liam is getting a rub. I have been to training and he can take part in the games but not the running. Come on. He was exposed in extra time against Kilkenny last year and thats when the game opened up. Teams will target him if he starts but I don't think he will. We shall see

I don't think I will now to be honest ;)

I don't think I will now to be honest ;)
    We shall see. You need to go to the trainings.

We shall see. You need to go to the trainings.

I used to, but the johns started coming up to my asking me about the young talent at my club, it put me off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

Gwan the Johns!

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Ropaire

If there's a shower worse than the Black and Tans, it's them feckin Johns!

• Advertisement

There was never a pure john at a Waterford training unless looking. Anyone but d johns!! Glad to see ye all hate them and more importantly what they stand for.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭IanVW

Anyone figure out who the johns are yet lol

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

IanVW wrote: »
    Anyone figure out who the johns are yet lol

I'm the same!! Come on Babs, tell us who they are.

I just googled The Johns Gaa Waterford and the John Mitchell's came up.

STIG83 wrote: »
    I just googled The Johns Gaa Waterford and the John Mitchell's came up.
    What did you type into google?
    robbers , cheats , solicitors , cops , traitors. They would pop up on any of these id say First in the rankings too id say

What did you type into google?
    robbers , cheats , solicitors , cops , traitors. They would pop up on any of these id say First in the rankings too id say

What planet are you on? All this "The Johns" talk as turned this forum into a farce.
    I come on here to hear info and updates on Waterford hurlers and footballers.

I don't give a ****e about The Johns!!

STIG83 wrote: »
    What planet are you on? All this "The Johns" talk as turned this forum into a farce.
    I come on here to hear info and updates on Waterford hurlers and footballers.

I don't give a ****e about The Johns!!

223a3852122ec53fec14cb1e817e076d.png

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭sid wallace

If Lawlor is fit he is still our best option at full back. Shane Fives is too much of a ball player. Lawlor is a pure defender of a kind we haven't had in Waterford since Joe Murphy took ill in 1982. Every full back since, Galvin, Byrne, Cullinane, Harris, Feeney, Brick, Prendergast, has had too many forward gears and not enough reverse.

If Lawlor is fit he is still our best option at full back. Shane Fives is too much of a ball player. Lawlor is a pure defender of a kind we haven't had in Waterford since Joe Murphy took ill in 1982. Every full back since, Galvin, Byrne, Cullinane, Harris, Feeney, Brick, Prendergast, has had too many forward gears and not enough reverse.
    Tom Feeney was never given a chance to settle at full back, If Waterford had Cullinane in 2007, they would have won the All Ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

I think its time you made a trip to the old 'johns' room and get rid of all the s***e thats been spluttering out of you lately

• Advertisement

Was the All Ireland semi final in 07 the most heartbreaking game ye have been at? I know some people will argue for the 2008 final but personally I thought the 2007 team was the best we've ever had, league champs, munster champs....should have been All Ireland champs.

Clinton
    Murphy, Dec Pender, Kearney
    Tony Browne, Ken, Moran
    Brick, Jack Kennedy
    Dan, Kelly, Molumphy
    Mullane, Seamus Pender, Flynners........What a team!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Motivator

Was the All Ireland semi final in 07 the most heartbreaking game ye have been at? I know some people will argue for the 2008 final but personally I thought the 2007 team was the best we've ever had, league champs, munster champs....should have been All Ireland champs.

Clinton
    Murphy, Dec Pender, Kearney
    Tony Browne, Ken, Moran
    Brick, Jack Kennedy
    Dan, Kelly, Molumphy
    Mullane, Seamus Pender, Flynners........What a team!

That was our year - or at least it should have been. That Limerick game was the worst day of my life.

Moran didn't play wing back that day, he only started one game all year & that was the Munster final. Can't for the life of me remember who played in the half back line with Ken & Tony.

Motivator wrote: »
    That was our year - or at least it should have been. That Limerick game was the worst day of my life.

Moran didn't play wing back that day, he only started one game all year & that was the Munster final. Can't for the life of me remember who played in the half back line with Ken & Tony.

Bull Pheland I would imagine

Tom Feeney was never given a chance to settle at full back, If Waterford had Cullinane in 2007, they would have won the All Ireland

In all fairness we had Cullinane there in 2001, when there genuinely was an All Ireland there for the taking and Sean was in his prime and he proved he wasn't a fullback.

robopaddy wrote: »
    I think its time you made a trip to the old 'johns' room and get rid of all the s***e thats been spluttering out of you lately

That is absolutely hilarious, robopaddy.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭carter10

Brian Phelan

Does anyone believe that Kilkenny wouldn't have destroyed us in the final in 2007

Does anyone believe that Kilkenny wouldn't have destroyed us in the final in 2007

I do but it's pretty irrelevant now anyway. We talk a lot about how we should have won the all-ireland but we didn't. It's as simple as that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Cake Man

That Limerick semi in 07 was sickening. Stood on the hill for about ten mins after the ft whistle wondering what the fcuk just happened.
    I think we would have been better equipped to give KK a rattle in the final.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

Cake Man wrote: »
    That Limerick semi in 07 was sickening. Stood on the hill for about ten mins after the ft whistle wondering what the fcuk just happened.
    I think we would have been better equipped to give KK a rattle in the final.

Yea that was the hardest defeat of all to take. To be fair in 2007 I dont think it was yet appreciated just how good that Kk team was. We beat them in the league final and as far as we were concerned we were capable of taking them in an AI final if we could just get over limerick.

My guess is that we would have fallen a bit short against them. They hadnt yet peaked like they had in 08 and we were in the shape of our lives, unlike 08 when we somehow sneaked into an AI final despite being atrocious all the year

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement