Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2013- Mod Warning Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

223a3852122ec53fec14cb1e817e076d.png

Spent a good five seconds clicking on that :p

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Ropaire

The final in 07 was Kilkenny staying just far ahead of Limerick to make it seem comfortable for them, they didn't blast them out of the water but they did seem to have a few more gears if needed. Having said that we might have had a chance with the goal threat in that team. I was standing beside a crusty aild fella from Monaghan for that match, the guy loved his hurling and he was sickened for us to have lost it never mind the rest of us!
    Ringo was good at full back when played there too. He had Canning in his pocket in 08 I think it was, we should have had him there more often and let Dec Pender go wing back where he looked alot more comfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Six down...

I think we let all-ireland behind us in 1998 as well, only losing by 1pt to KK in semi and then Offaly beating them. If only we could have won one then 2 or 3 more would have followed IF ONLY !!!!!!!!!!!!

I think we let all-ireland behind us in 1998 as well, only losing by 1pt to KK in semi and then Offaly beating them. If only we could have won one then 2 or 3 more would have followed IF ONLY !!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah 1998 was the best chance we had I think, even better chance than 2007. That was a poor enough Kilkenny team that were there for the taking, we didn't play well at all on the day!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭seananigans

Wfd Senior hurlers to play Mount Leinster Rangers at Carriganore 7pm tonight Friday 24th Jan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Brad1234

In all fairness we had Cullinane there in 2001, when there genuinely was an All Ireland there for the taking and Sean was in his prime and he proved he wasn't a fullback.

Didnt Cullinane get destroyed by the same lad who caused us serious damage in 07 . Brian Begley

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

Brad1234 wrote: »
    Didnt Cullinane get destroyed by the same lad who caused us serious damage in 07 . Brian Begley
    say hello to babs and sid in the ignore list for me

Deise_2012 wrote: »
    say hello to babs and sid in the ignore list for me

Why Sid being ignored.. The Johns stuff alright from babs is a little tedious but Sid making Valid points and you get the feeling his has links to a gaa club the same can't be said for a lot of people on here.. But ya the johns stuff who gives a crap.. its football in waterford no one cares

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Why Sid being ignored.. The Johns stuff alright from babs is a little tedious but Sid making Valid points and you get the feeling his has links to a gaa club the same can't be said for a lot of people on here.. But ya the johns stuff who gives a crap.. its football in waterford no one cares

I think there are 50 clubs within the county.

I would estimate that more than half of those clubs would be more into football than hurling.

Probably 5 are dual senior clubs, and most teams give both codes a decent rattle one way or the other.

It's important to respect both codes, otherwise we turn into a Roscommon or a Cavan.

hardybuck wrote: »
    I think there are 50 clubs within the county.

I would estimate that more than half of those clubs would be more into football than hurling.

Probably 5 are dual senior clubs, and most teams give both codes a decent rattle one way or the other.

It's important to respect both codes, otherwise we turn into a Roscommon or a Cavan.

We're already the equivalent of a Cavan or Roscommon. The way inter county football teams are run in Waterford is a scandal, esp at underage, and with attitudes like that (from Brad1234) towards it its hardly a surprise why.

• Advertisement

Ropaire wrote: »
    We're already the equivalent of a Cavan or Roscommon. The way inter county football teams are run in Waterford is a scandal, esp at underage, and with attitudes like that (from Brad1234) towards it its hardly a surprise why.
    Don't mind him he's only a troll looking for bites

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭noiniho

2007 still makes me sick (assumes the feotal positon)

it was an utterly disgusting day, it honestly took me a long time to get over that, i feel sick thinking about it

noiniho wrote: »

it was an utterly disgusting day, it honestly took me a long time to get over that, i feel sick thinking about it
    Playing 3 weeks in a row was ridiculous in fairness, the Co. Board didn't put up much of a fight to change it. All if's, but's, could have, should haves now. Honestly it was was the worst drive home from Dublin ever though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

noiniho wrote: »

I was just out of hospital after a dose that had first manifested itself the day of the drawn match against Cork and literally hadn't the energy to be upset. My wife, on the other hand, fled from the house in floods of tears when Limerick rattled home the decisive penalty. Feck it, she's not even from Ireland, let alone Waterford, yet that's the effect it had on her! :(

Playing 3 weeks in a row was ridiculous in fairness, the Co. Board didn't put up much of a fight to change it. All if's, but's, could have, should haves now. Honestly it was was the worst drive home from Dublin ever though

It was a belter of a game for a neutral at least, the kerry and Monahan lads who stayed on for it weren't complaining like. Coming back home after 2008 after being absolutely rode was alot harder. I got a lift there and back off my ex who was from Kilkenny, she also sourced me a ticket for the Hill, so I sent me father up the Cusack with my ticket with my brother. That was the longest and most painful drive back of my life, to finally get to an All Ireland after so many near misses in semi finals and then to get that and herself talkin total crap the whole way back! It's depressing just to think about it on so many levels, I hope to God a Waterford team never puts in a game like that again. People were complaining about the minor team throwing the game away against Limerick in the Munster Final this year due to perceived cockiness, but I was delighted to see a Waterford team play with self belief and swagger looking to go for the jugular at the time. There was alot of talk along the lines of "if we're lucky on the day" going into 2008, you're beaten before a ball is hit thinking that way. Watching the minors looking to finish games off with goal rushes is hopefully a changing in attitude as we've been frail mentally as a county for a long time

We're nowhere near as bad as them. As far as underage goes, Waterford were at one point winning and contesting for Munster titles against vastly bigger and better run counties.

While we've slipped progressively backwards over the past few years, we'd still be competitive with a lot of counties out there. To get to Div.3, and to be challenging to get back there in 2014 against other larger counties who direct their full focus towards football.

Still, you're right, we're probably dangerously close to entering a Cavan situation where we mightn't field teams, particularly where we're asking guys hurlers not to play football, not investing in coaching, structuring our competitions badly etc.

It was a belter of a game for a neutral at least, the kerry and Monahan lads who stayed on for it weren't complaining like. Coming back home after 2008 after being absolutely rode was alot harder. I got a lift there and back off my ex who was from Kilkenny, she also sourced me a ticket for the Hill, so I sent me father up the Cusack with my ticket with my brother. That was the longest and most painful drive back of my life, to finally get to an All Ireland after so many near misses in semi finals and then to get that and herself talkin total crap the whole way back! It's depressing just to think about it on so many levels, I hope to God a Waterford team never puts in a game like that again. People were complaining about the minor team throwing the game away against Limerick in the Munster Final this year due to perceived cockiness, but I was delighted to see a Waterford team play with self belief and swagger looking to go for the jugular at the time. There was alot of talk along the lines of "if we're lucky on the day" going into 2008, you're beaten before a ball is hit thinking that way. Watching the minors looking to finish games off with goal rushes is hopefully a changing in attitude as we've been frail mentally as a county for a long time
    I didn't really like our shape in 2008, Dan and Molumphy weren't performing, flynn didn't see too interested with davy fitz, it was more kelly scraping us through games, I didn't think Jamie Nagle was ready for midfield either. As you said yourself, everyone saying the same thing if we're lucky on the day, I heard it at least 50 times getting the dart to dublin on the day I was way more confident going into the Limerick match than the Kilkenny game, I think that's why it hurt more coming home that day
    Last years minors are in good hands with Queally and Duggan, I think last year the game plan for the u21 game was more about stopping Clare rather than focusing on our own strengths, which was going very well only for the sending off. I think this year they'l be very much the opposite considering we'll have bennett, foran, donnelly, barron, dillon, breathnach, kearney, all fellas who love the back of the net

Don't mind him he's only a troll looking for bites

No im not at all.. But ye guys are going on about all irelands with these ifs and buts which are a load of nonsense.. Most Hurling Folk understand how we lost them so have just moved on to present matters..

Ridiculous you cant make a point on here unless you agree with some of the out of touch posts being put up and then you are accused of being a troll..

Also on Football.. Yeah its a nice dream that we can compete but we cant.. Football clubs in Waterford give this romantic idea of how it should be funded more and how they are second class citizens etc but i remember for years and its still going on some of the big club players in Waterford not bothering their arse playing football for Waterford or turning up to play the junior in order to get some cheap success out of it (doesn't include guys on the hurling panel) .. The years we won the junior half of that team should have been on the senior side but didnt have the commitment to play it but yet they go preaching about how football should be improved.

Bar you're Corks, Galway or Dublin etc there is no real room for Dual Counties anymore and lets face it we've never been any good at football.. I'm all for club championship and Waterford having a go but they got to make up their mind do they have a get up and give it a lash approach to football .ie kilkenny or make it an equal approach for both codes and cut the funding to the hurlers so we can be average at both..

Example Wexford took that approach to it... How is their hurling improved.. Footballers are flying it too..

Its not a piss on footballers parade its more of a realism.

Theres nothing wrong with giving football and hurling the same effort. We dont need all irelands as just competing is good enough. Wexford will proberly will always be average at the 2 but isn't that better than Kilkenny.

We'd be miles behind Wexford in terms of success, what does that make us!?

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭culbaire

Theres nothing wrong with giving football and hurling the same effort. We dont need all irelands as just competing is good enough. Wexford will proberly will always be average at the 2 but isn't that better than Kilkenny.
    It is not better than Kilkenny. Kilkenny has won 34 Senior Hurling All Irelands. Who wants mediocrity? Who wants to be glorious losers always? Who wants a patronising pat on the back? We can win a Senor Hurling All Ireland in the next few years. Lets do it!!! Why compete to be a loser? Comments like yours would be ridiculed in Kilkenny. And rightly so!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Black Suir

Liam Lawlor in at Full back for Waterford in Tonights challenge against Mount Leinster Rangers. I guess some here wont be happy with that.

Waterford team - Iggy Wyse Lawlor Barry McNulty P Prender Coughlan Fitzgerald Brick Seamus T Connors Molumphy Donnelly S Walsh Heffernan.

Cormac Heffernan has a goal already. Set up by Connors. Three points up after quarter of an hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭IanVW

@tomasmcc: Full Time Waterford 5-16 Mount Leinster Rangers 0-16

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭sid wallace

Thanks Brad. I pointed out a few home truths about Michael Ryan's reign as manager and that was enough to have me branded a troll. There is a cosy little consensus here and if you don't share it then there are three or four chaps who will go bald headed for you. I've been going to Waterford matches for nearly half a century, I played senior club hurling for 20 years so I have some relevant insights, but that counts for nothing here unless you agree with the three or four boot boys.

Was the All Ireland semi final in 07 the most heartbreaking game ye have been at? I know some people will argue for the 2008 final but personally I thought the 2007 team was the best we've ever had, league champs, munster champs....should have been All Ireland champs.

Clinton
    Murphy, Dec Pender, Kearney
    Tony Browne, Ken, Moran
    Brick, Jack Kennedy
    Dan, Kelly, Molumphy
    Mullane, Seamus Pender, Flynners........What a team!
    Nobody mentioned the 2002 semi against Clare. That was an even worse one. We had them beaten out the gate after 20 minutes and then we did exactly what we did against Limerick the year before. Both collapses were triggered by handling errors from Peter Queally that led to goals.

In reality we left an All Ireland behind us in 01 as well. We were a far better team than the Tipp team that won the All Ireland, which we proved conclusively in Cork the following year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

Seeing that people are talking about 2007 i do think Waterford reached their peak as a team that year and they would have given Kilkenny plenty of it if in the final that year if they got past Limerick.Limerick were written off big time going into that semi final against Waterford in 2007 and Richie Bennis had them primed for battle.I think the Limerick team of 2007 was a decent enough outfit and they gave a good account of themselves in the final that year.Limerick were the better team on the day but i think Waterford would have beaten them if the match was put back a week.Waterford would also have had the firepower to take down Kilkenny in the final.Limerick put in a brave effort against Kilkenny but they didn't have the firepower up front to hurt them.Oh well it's all history now.Waterford reached an all ireland final at the wrong time.Kilkenny were at their peak in 2008 and Waterford were passed their peak that year.

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭The blue blaa

Nobody mentioned the 2002 semi against Clare. That was an even worse one. We had them beaten out the gate after 20 minutes and then we did exactly what we did against Limerick the year before. Both collapses were triggered by handling errors from Peter Queally that led to goals.

In reality we left an All Ireland behind us in 01 as well. We were a far better team than the Tipp team that won the All Ireland, which we proved conclusively in Cork the following year.

Jaysus Queally was desperate that day lost possesion down in the corner by cusack an nally stand I think, which resulted in a goal I never forget that. kelly was great in that game 4 points from play I think could be way off there though I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.And for what its worth I felt 98 was our only real hope of success I was in woodstown in the saratoga watching the game on holidays, well was I spoilt or what??
    And lads can we plz drop all the bull****e bout trolls tis gettin like a kids classroom here with 1 or 2 keyboard warriors if anyone don't agree with a comment just ignore it and we try get and give as much information as we can.
    Now can someone give a report of who did well or anything in tonight's game

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭redlead

It was a belter of a game for a neutral at least, the kerry and Monahan lads who stayed on for it weren't complaining like. Coming back home after 2008 after being absolutely rode was alot harder.

Completely disagree with you there. 07 was way way worse the 08 (we were awful in 08 bar the Tipp game). Im still not over it. Bloody Limerick FFS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

Thanks Brad. I pointed out a few home truths about Michael Ryan's reign as manager and that was enough to have me branded a troll. There is a cosy little consensus here and if you don't share it then there are three or four chaps who will go bald headed for you. I've been going to Waterford matches for nearly half a century, I played senior club hurling for 20 years so I have some relevant insights, but that counts for nothing here unless you agree with the three or four boot boys.

Well in fairness he wouldnt be expected to disagree with you condidering YOU ARE THE SAME PERSON

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

IanVW wrote: »
    @tomasmcc: Full Time Waterford 5-16 Mount Leinster Rangers 0-16

Jesus 0-16 points conceded against a team from carlow. Mcgrath out (tongue in cheek btw)

Anyone have the scorers?

• Advertisement

Jaysus Queally was desperate that day lost possesion down in the corner by cusack an nally stand I think, which resulted in a goal I never forget that. kelly was great in that game 4 points from play I think could be way off there though I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.And for what its worth I felt 98 was our only real hope of success I was in woodstown in the saratoga watching the game on holidays, well was I spoilt or what??
    And lads can we plz drop all the bull****e bout trolls tis gettin like a kids classroom here with 1 or 2 keyboard warriors if anyone don't agree with a comment just ignore it and we try get and give as much information as we can.
    Now can someone give a report of who did well or anything in tonight's game

In fairness that was Kelly's finest hour in a Waterford shirt. He was the only man on the team not consumed by nerves.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement