Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2013- Mod Warning Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

In fairness that was Kelly's finest hour in a Waterford shirt. He was the only man on the team not consumed by nerves.

He was outstanding another day against Cork. I think he scored 6 points from play off Sean Og O hAilpín.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭sid wallace

He was outstanding another day against Cork. I think he scored 6 points from play off Sean Og O hAilpín.

2005 inThurles. But he only played for 10 minutes. Which was typical of him. Still he always had the Indian sign on O hAilpin.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

Yeah 2007 was the hardest defeat to stomach in all my years watching Waterford. Kerry 1993 and Kilkenny 2008 included. Its hard to understand, clearly losing to Kerry or getting absolutely hammered in an All Ireland should be worse but that Limerick game was just so sickening. People around me crying at the end. I suppose that was the real height of the expectation after winning the league and Munster titles and beating a good Cork side in the quarter finals at Croker.

I always felt 2001 was a glorious chance missed, we were 2-6 to 0-1 up on Limerick in the first round and managed to lose the game. No back door in those days so we were gone. There was an All Ireland there for the winning that year.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

2005 inThurles. But he only played for 10 minutes. Which was typical of him. Still he always had the Indian sign on O hAilpin.

Didnt he score all 5/6 points in the first half? Took O hAilpin to the cleaners in the first half and then didnt score in the second half. Some talent when the mind was right.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭doublejj

ryan done good job..now i did not want him at start but he changed my mind...he did keep us d1 hurling played good hurling as well...i would have gave 1 more year then see,but best of luck to d mcgrath and team

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Hamstrings59

In fairness that was Kelly's finest hour in a Waterford shirt. He was the only man on the team not consumed by nerves.

Andy Moloney had a fine game v clare in 2002 also, him and kelly the only 2 to hurl well that day. i remember Queally getting tossed over the end line and ball being fed accross to markham on the 21 who buried it. Queally should have been gone years earlier than what he was.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,547 ✭✭✭blue note

07 by a distance was the most painful. After getting knocked out in close games in 04, 05 and 06 against the top 2, then after beating Cork twice in 07 I just thought after years of pain, it was finally our year. I thought we were slightly ahead of Cork and Kilkenny and felt that we were finally beating them. Then fcuking Limerick play their best game in a decade, we're flat and it's all over. It's like you're making plans for the rest of your life with someone, thinking about kids, where to live, where to retire, and then you walk in on her with your friend. Not even you're successful, good looking friend, but your stumpy, hairy friend who works in IT and likes to talk about it.

And we'd have had a great chance in that final. It seems frowned upon to say it, like you're taking away from someone else's all ireland, but we were a class above anything Kilkenny played that season.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭doublejj

i think we had top team,but its also about luck we got ****ed over in first game ..lucky to win second we dominated then limerick hammered us fair and square

• Registered Users Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Cake Man

blue note wrote: »
    07 by a distance was the most painful. After getting knocked out in close games in 04, 05 and 06 against the top 2, then after beating Cork twice in 07 I just thought after years of pain, it was finally our year. I thought we were slightly ahead of Cork and Kilkenny and felt that we were finally beating them. Then fcuking Limerick play their best game in a decade, we're flat and it's all over. It's like you're making plans for the rest of your life with someone, thinking about kids, where to live, where to retire, and then you walk in on her with your friend. Not even you're successful, good looking friend, but your stumpy, hairy friend who works in IT and likes to talk about it.

Ha that's a great description about what it felt like losing that game, I think that's how we all felt. It just seemed set up for us to look after Limerick but to be fair complacency must have played a part aswell as fatigue. I remember saying to a friend going up to that game that I couldn't believe we we'd finally get to an AI final. Yeah I know, arrogance at its finest but I think we all saw it as a formality. Think Tipp felt exactly the same 12 months later when we beat them.

Any report from that challenge against Mount Leinster? Any other challenges planned for the weekend?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭noiniho

Anyway it's a good start for Cormac heffernan he is able to find the net, he was a good full forward on the minors a few years back (when jimmy meaney was in charge) hopefully another prospect coming through

• Advertisement

noiniho wrote: »
    Anyway it's a good start for Cormac heffernan he is able to find the net, he was a good full forward on the minors a few years back (when john meaney was in charge) hopefully another prospect coming through

Was it not Jimmy Meaney?

noiniho wrote: »
    Lads some of ye are destroying the forum

Accusing all and sundry of being trolls ye are worse than any troll

Why Sid is being targeted I don't know, just because you don't agree with someone doesn't automatically make them a troll and allow you to turn them into a hate figure.

Thanks noiniho. But they're not going to stop me posting.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭HillFarmer

Anyone at the challenge match and care to give a report?

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭babs123

Thanks noiniho. But they're not going to stop me posting.
    or me

I don't know what telly you were watching it on. It was at the opposite end of the field. Anyone who criticises peter queally and calls them selves a waterford fan says it all to me. If some of our marquee players had his commitment we would have all Ireland medals. When tony browne got hurler of the year in 98 he said he owed it to peter queally. Now that's saying something. Get your facts straight before posting ridiculous comments.Typical townie remark

Was it not Jimmy Meaney?

Ya sorry jimmy meaney!

babs123 wrote: »
    I don't know what telly you were watching it on. It was at the opposite end of the field. Anyone who criticises peter queally and calls them selves a waterford fan says it all to me. If some of our marquee players had his commitment we would have all Ireland medals. When tony browne got hurler of the year in 98 he said he owed it to peter queally. Now that's saying something. Get your facts straight before posting ridiculous comments.Typical townie remark

How many balls did Queally drive wide in the 98 semi final? No one would ever doubt his commitment but he hadn't the skills to be an inter county hurler.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

Very strange how all these new posters here, they only have 4 posts each,

Hope it not same person with all different accounts.......

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

OK so there's been a lot of activity here over the last number of days.
    Either myself or one of the other moderators will go through the thread over the weekend and infractions and/or bans will be handed out.

There's also been a few re-reg posters who will be sitebanned.
    If you suspect someone of trolling, report the post but don't call them out on thread as this can be construed as back seat modding.

Action against offending posts/posters will be taken over the weekend. If the thread gets out of hand again, it'll simply be closed temporarily until one of us can clean it up.

How many balls did Queally drive wide in the 98 semi final? No one would ever doubt his commitment but he hadn't the skills to be an inter county hurler.
    How many long range ridiculous shots did ken McGrath take and is regarded as one of the all time greatest. You could say that about any player. ridiculous statement.

• Advertisement

you were prob watching that in the Saratoga too. Hurlers on the ditch!!!

The fittest man on the planet is on tnag now if ye want to tune in. its 12 o clock

Anyway to more important matters, best of luck to Ballysaggart tomorrow, hopefully a small village like them will go all the way.

Deise_2012 wrote: »
    Playing 3 weeks in a row was ridiculous in fairness, the Co. Board didn't put up much of a fight to change it. All if's, but's, could have, should haves now. Honestly it was was the worst drive home from Dublin ever though

Ya I don't know what the county board could have done.

From memory I think that in 2004 Kilkenny beat us in the semi after being out a few weeks in a row (weren't they involved in a draw and replay with Clare?)

Also last year didn't Kilkenny eventually go out to cork playing there 5th weekend in a row (beating us in there fourth weekend in a row playing)

So whatever our complaints about 2007 it looks like we have twice been on the right side of the arrangement being the rested team... And we still lost... So maybe it would have made no difference... At the end of the day it is just an excuse.

On 2007, I still remember the despair in the first cork game, the emptiness, they had done it to us again, we were gone... When up popped molumphy to score!!! But it only suspended the pain because Croke park two weeks later was much worse.

I watched my first all Ireland in 1987 and have only missed one since, 2007, I just couldn't watch it and still never have... (Who won by the way ;))

babs123 wrote: »
    How many long range ridiculous shots did ken McGrath take and is regarded as one of the all time greatest. You could say that about any player. ridiculous statement.

He drove 7 balls wide in the 2003 Munster Final and never played in the forwards for Waterford again

Will people shut up on previous years regarding Waterford!! All the ifs and buts will not change the outcome of them games and having clowns on here bickering to each other over it!!

Just move on and concentrate on the future.

STIG83 wrote: »
    Will people shut up on previous years regarding Waterford!! All the ifs and buts will not change the outcome of them games and having clowns on here bickering to each other over it!!

Just move on and concentrate on the future.

being far away from home family contact is mostly over the phone... I dread to think how short these conversations were if we didn't talk about sport and hurling in particular, but past present and future... Many times we have opposing views and hash them out, but no matter what is said we may never see the other persons view.

But you could never class it as bickering or an argument, and thank god for it..

It's called discussion

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Sliabh gCua

Anyway to more important matters, best of luck to Ballysaggart tomorrow, hopefully a small village like them will go all the way.

Great to hear Pat Bennett say that they are travelling to the game with a full strength team.

Great to hear Pat Bennett say that they are travelling to the game with a full strength team.

I'd say they won't be a sinner left there tomorrow!! They even having mass at 8am tomorrow morning so everyone can go!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭seananigans

I'd say they won't be a sinner left there tomorrow!! They even having mass at 8am tomorrow morning so everyone can go!!

Anyone know the pricing of the tickets?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement