Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2013- Mod Warning Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

Got a few bob on Stephen Bennett to be first goal scorer tomorrow at 11-2. Good odds from Paddy Power. Best of luck to Ballysaggart tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭babs123

noiniho wrote: »
    being far away from home family contact is mostly over the phone... I dread to think how short these conversations were if we didn't talk about sport and hurling in particular, but past present and future... Many times we have opposing views and hash them out, but no matter what is said we may never see the other persons view.

But you could never class it as bickering or an argument, and thank god for it..

It's called discussion
    Here here. I love the discussion. Its only difference of opinion. I admit to some agendas aka johns but we all have our pet hates

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

Deisegodeo wrote: »
    Got a few bob on Stephen Bennett to be first goal scorer tomorrow at 11-2. Good odds from Paddy Power. Best of luck to Ballysaggart tomorrow
    11/2?? Haven't the bookies learned anything yet, I'll have some of that!

Deise_2012 wrote: »
    11/2?? Haven't the bookies learned anything yet, I'll have some of that!
    I tried when I saw the post. They were only posting 3/1 this afternoon

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

babs123 wrote: »
    Here here. I love the discussion. Its only difference of opinion. I admit to some agendas aka johns but we all have our pet hates

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

babs123 wrote: »
    I tried when I saw the post. They were only posting 3/1 this afternoon

Its a special offer theyre doing in Waterford Paddy Power bookies this weekend. 9-2 unless you place the best in a Waterford bookies where they'll give you 11-2. Given his recent record with Ballysagart its a good bet but sure we'll see tomorrow i suppose

Deisegodeo wrote: »
    Its a special offer theyre doing in Waterford Paddy Power bookies this weekend. 9-2 unless you place the best in a Waterford bookies where they'll give you 11-2. Given his recent record with Ballysagart its a good bet but sure we'll see tomorrow i suppose
    Just in the city?

Deise_2012 wrote: »
    Just in the city?

I doubt its just the city, especially as Ballysaggart are from the west of the county. I placed it in the city alright but they said its available in all Paddy Power bookies in Waterford. You have to write 'Power Play' on the docket to get it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭seananigans

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

Best of luck to Ballysaggart today what a proud day it is for their club.Great credit is due to them and i think it will take a very special team to beat them. Surely Stephen Bennett is nearly impossible to mark at this level and his 2 brothers not far behind him. They have strengthened already for next year with the acquisition of Chris O Gorman from Lismore and given that they are still relatively a young side they should be around for the foreseeable future. Credit must surely go to the likes of Sean Prendergast up their in the school is Lismore for putting these youngfellas through his hands at primary level.
    We have enough of hard luck stories down through the years with different Waterford teams representing us at various levels,wouldn't it be some fairytale if it was Ballysaggart were to be the first Waterford winners of an All Ireland club title.

• Advertisement

Just put my life savings on Bennett 1st goal at 11/2, no pressure on the lad but it's gonna be a rough couple of months for me if he fails :)

Brian O' Halloran made his return friday night!

Ballysaggart winning handy at half time, 3-10 to 0-2. Shane Bennett with 2 goals and Stehpen Bennett with the other one. Shane got the first goal so the bet didnt come in unfortunately

What do they be eating in the Bennett household at all

Ballysaggart are on the way to Croker!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Boots234

Into the final against Kickham Creggans of Antrim

Easy win for Ballysaggart in the end, 4-13 to 0-8. Stephen Bennett hit 1-8. Final to be played in Croke Park on Saturday 8th February.

Boots234 wrote: »
    Into the final against Kickham Creggans of Antrim

Oh Crap , of all the clubs, I know the captain of that team,and my nephew plays with them, hahaha ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 4,890 ✭✭✭deisedude

Oh Crap , of all the clubs, I know the captain of that team,and my nephew plays with them, hahaha ffs

No excuses boy :P

deisedude wrote: »
    No excuses boy :P

Ah it's grand, he mainly plays the big ball, form what he tells me ,only 3 or 4 turn up for hurling training (at under 11) .

Have to say the captain is sound ,even his 2 year old has a decent use of a hurl .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 Sliabh gCua

STIG83 wrote: »
    I'd say they won't be a sinner left there tomorrow!! They even having mass at 8am tomorrow morning so everyone can go!!

I wonder what will happen the next day. Do they have the mass before the people go home to bed if there is reason to celebrate the night before or do they hold it later in the evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

Ballysaggart 4-13 Calry/St. Joseph’s 0-8

Ballysaggart had a comfortable win over a game but limited Calry/St. Joseph’s side in the All-Ireland Club Junior semi-final in Tullamore today. Ballysaggart were much the better hurling team but rested on their oars a bit in the second half after building up a commanding lead. Despite the hopelessness of their situation, Calry battled away to the end but simply lacked a cutting edge up front. They only got one point from their forward division with midfielder and captain Keith Raymond contributing six (all but one from frees) and their centre back the other one.

The poor hurling conditions probably affected Ballysaggart the more. Apart from the heavy sod, a cold blustery wind blew frequent showers straight down the field, and a brief squall early in the second half made conditions almost impossible for the players.

Ballysaggart had first use of the wind, and deployed just Stephen and Shane Bennett in a two-main full forward line, a tactic that worked quite well. However, they started slowly, and in the first few minutes their goalie had to make a smart save and Calry hit a bad wide (they hit seven over the hour to Saggart’s five). Once Ballysaggart settled into the game they gained control and the scores started to come, mainly from Stephen Bennett frees.

The first goal came in the 12th minute when Shane Bennett ran onto a long ball from midfield and although he lost his hurley he kicked to the net. The second goal came ten minutes later. Shane Bennett got in a good shot which the goalie blocked out for a 65 which brother Stephen sent in low and it found its way to the back of the net. We then had a pair of superb long-range points from midfielder Kieran Bennett and two more excellent scores from wing forward Kenneth Cashell. Stephen Bennett essentially wrapped the game up in added time when he dispossessed a Calry defender and then squeezed a tap-down shot just inside the post to leave Ballysaggart 3-10 to 0-2 in front at the break.

Whatever chance Calry had of making a fight of it with the wind at their backs after the change of ends were killed off four minutes into the second half when Stephen Bennett let fly for the top corner from out on the left. An inrushing forward may have finished the ball to the net but I thought Bennett’s shot went all the way.

After that, and the ensuing squall, Ballysaggart relaxed somewhat, while Calry kept plugging away and notched six points but could not get the goal they would love to have got against a hard-working defence excellently marshalled and led by centre back Eugene O’Brien. The biggest cheer from the large Ballysaggart following came late in the game when diminutive substitute Michael Kearney scored a smashing point.

Final score: Ballysaggart 4-13 Calry/St. Joseph’s 0-8. Ballysaggart now play Creggan Kickhams of Antrim in the final in Croke Park on February 8 (throw-in time to be confirmed). They had a good 2-10 to 1-8 win in the other semi-final over Lancashire team Fullen Gaels who got to the final of this competition in 2013.

Ballysaggart: Matty Meagher; Bobby Ryan; Kieran Fennessy; Daniel Devince; Barry Murphy; Eugene O’Brien; Cailean O’Gorman; Christy Murphy; Kieran Bennett (0-2); Shane Bennett (1-0); Darren Meagher; Kenneth Cashell (0-2); Ronan Walsh; Stephen Bennett (3-8, 0-6 from frees, 1-1 from 65s); Tom Bennett.

Substitute: Michael Kearney (0-1). I think Stephen Hale and either Shane or Fearghal Meagher were the other two subsitutes brought on.

Derek doing his presentation again on Wednesday night at 8.30 in Clancys pub Clonea power. It is very impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Ropaire

Is Clancys still open? Or is it one of the pubs in Rathgormack that closed?

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭liogairmhordain

He drove 7 balls wide in the 2003 Munster Final and never played in the forwards for Waterford again

he played in the forwards a couple of weeks later, in our next game vs wexford, and scored 5 points from play. also went into the forwards for the second half of the '08 all-ireland final. and of course his last hurrah in a waterford jersey, scoring 3 pts against tipp in the '10 all-ireland semi final after coming on as a sub in the forward line

I wonder what will happen the next day. Do they have the mass before the people go home to bed if there is reason to celebrate the night before or do they hold it later in the evening.

It's been played under lights at Croker at 5pm for the final.

Ropaire wrote: »
    Is Clancys still open? Or is it one of the pubs in Rathgormack that closed?
    rathgormack pub that closed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

SHC Group 1 Passage, A'side, De La Salle, Fourmile, Roanmore, Lismore

Group 2 Ballygunner, Mt Sion, Ballyduff, Tallow, Dungarvan, Ardmore

SFC Group 1. B'Courty, Ring, Kilrossanty, Clashmore, Rathgormack, Ardmore.

Gr 2. Stradbally, Nire, Saviours, B'meela, Gaultier, De La Salle

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭sid wallace

SHC Group 1 Passage, A'side, De La Salle, Fourmile, Roanmore, Lismore

Group 2 Ballygunner, Mt Sion, Ballyduff, Tallow, Dungarvan, Ardmore

SFC Group 1. B'Courty, Ring, Kilrossanty, Clashmore, Rathgormack, Ardmore.

Gr 2. Stradbally, Nire, Saviours, B'meela, Gaultier, De La Salle

Mount Sion will win the SHC.

• Advertisement

Babs, I hope the Johns win a few trophies this year :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement