Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2013- Mod Warning Post #1

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Stop the bickering!!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 213 ✭✭rambojon

How're the footballers going ..? Outsiders at home to Clare.. Surely not!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

rambojon wrote: »
    How're the footballers going ..? Outsiders at home to Clare.. Surely not!

No Gary Hurney being the reason. Still, things I think are in good shape under Niall Carew. That said Clare will have at the services of at least the two Collins' brothers. Podge is a serious talent.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭The blue blaa

They may aswell give Roanmore the County cup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

The 2015 intermediate one

• Advertisement

RIP Shane hourigan. Only read this now, terrible news altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭sid wallace

It's the News and Star Cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭The blue blaa

It's the News and Star Cup.

Jesus I'd be lost without you Sid, goodman

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭carter10

Who's going to make the cut?
    These are the players who have been used in challenges so far, I may have missed a few but I think its pretty close:

1. SOK
    2. Ian O Regan
    3. M Wyse
    4. L Lawlor
    5. N Connors
    6. Jamie Nagle
    7. Richie Foley
    8. Brian O Sullivan
    9. Ray Barry
    10. S McNulty
    11. P Prendergast
    12. B Coughlan
    13. K Fitzgerald
    14. M Walsh
    15. S Prendergast
    16. T Connors
    17. Molumphy
    18. R Donnelly
    19. Shane Walsh
    20. C Heffernan
    21. S Barry
    22. S Fives
    23. A O’Sullivan
    24. K Moran,
    25. Philip Mahony,
    26. Pauric Mahony,
    27. B O’Halloran
    28. T Bourke,
    29. S O’Sullivan,
    30. J Barron,
    31. E Barrett,
    32. M Shanahan,
    33. T Devine,
    34. J Dillon.
    35. S Bennett
    36. A Gleeson
    37. G O’Brien
    38. D Fives
    39. M Kearney
    40. D Breathnach
    41. A Farrell
    42. S Keating
    43. S Roche
    44. K Power

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭IanVW

Any challenges this weekend? Seems to be a very quiet camp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭cleaboy boy

Waterford senior hurlers will play Limerick this coming Saturday 1st Feb, up in Limerick, unsure of time and venue but will post again if I have any further details.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭HillFarmer

carter10 wrote: »
    These are the players who have been used in challenges so far, I may have missed a few but I think its pretty close:

1. SOK
    2. Ian O Regan
    3. M Wyse
    4. L Lawlor
    5. N Connors
    6. Jamie Nagle
    7. Richie Foley
    8. Brian O Sullivan
    9. Ray Barry
    10. S McNulty
    11. P Prendergast
    12. B Coughlan
    13. K Fitzgerald
    14. M Walsh
    15. S Prendergast
    16. T Connors
    17. Molumphy
    18. R Donnelly
    19. Shane Walsh
    20. C Heffernan
    21. S Barry
    22. S Fives
    23. A O’Sullivan
    24. K Moran,
    25. Philip Mahony,
    26. Pauric Mahony,
    27. B O’Halloran
    28. T Bourke,
    29. S O’Sullivan,
    30. J Barron,
    31. E Barrett,
    32. M Shanahan,
    33. T Devine,
    34. J Dillon.
    35. S Bennett
    36. A Gleeson
    37. G O’Brien
    38. D Fives
    39. M Kearney
    40. D Breathnach
    41. A Farrell
    42. S Keating
    43. S Roche
    44. K Power

When will the panel be announced?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

Stop the bickering!!!!
    http://youtu.be/Qh2sWSVRrmo

1. SOK
    2. Ian O Regan
    3. M Wyse
    4. L Lawlor
    5. N Connors
    6. Jamie Nagle
    7. Richie Foley
    8. Brian O Sullivan
    9. Ray Barry
    10. S McNulty
    11. P Prendergast
    12. B Coughlan
    13. K Fitzgerald
    14. M Walsh
    15. S Prendergast
    16. T Connors
    17. Molumphy
    18. R Donnelly
    19. Shane Walsh
    20. C Heffernan
    21. S Barry
    22. S Fives
    23. A O’Sullivan
    24. K Moran,
    25. Philip Mahony,
    26. Pauric Mahony,
    27. B O’Halloran
    28. T Bourke,
    29. S O’Sullivan,
    30. J Barron,
    31. E Barrett,
    32. M Shanahan,
    33. T Devine,
    34. J Dillon.
    35. S Bennett
    36. A Gleeson
    37. G O’Brien
    38. D Fives
    39. M Kearney
    40. D Breathnach
    41. A Farrell
    42. S Keating
    43. S Roche
    44. K Power
    Adam O' Sullivan, Michael Kearney, Adam Farrell, Tom Devine, Mark Wyse, Killian Fitzgerald, Seamus Keating, Stephen Roche, Cormac Heffernan will be dropped I think, a lot of those lads are u21 so they'l be still training away and will have plenty challenges against the Seniors. I'd like to see Thomas Connors given a few league games due to our lack of ball winners. I'm not sure what's going to happen between Mcnulty, Donnelly, Barrett and Gleeson, Gleeson in particular hasn't featured much in any of the challenges.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

Hard to see how Stephen Bennett will be kept on board having missed all the pre season over his success with Ballysaggart? I would agree with the previous names mentioned I don't see them being kept on but surely its all a learning curve,and helps them gain valuable experience. Its rumoured that anyone that hasn't had a full pre season will not be considered for the early parts of the league so there could be a few surprise omissions if this is the case. Also will they carry 3 goal keepers like Michael Ryan did? No doubt there will be some debate when the squad is cut!

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭carter10

I'm going with this for the panel of 26, the team is a rough guess

SOK
    T Burke L Lawlor N Connors
    S Fives M Walsh K Moran
    Philip Mahony J Nagle
    M Shanahan D Fives R Barry
    J Dillon SWalsh Molumphy

S O Sullivan
    G O’Brien
    R Foley
    B O Sullivan
    P Prendergast
    S Prendergast
    P Mahony
    R Donnelly
    J Barron
    T Connors
    S McNulty

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭babs123

cul beag wrote: »
    Hard to see how Stephen Bennett will be kept on board having missed all the pre season over his success with Ballysaggart? I would agree with the previous names mentioned I don't see them being kept on but surely its all a learning curve,and helps them gain valuable experience. Its rumoured that anyone that hasn't had a full pre season will not be considered for the early parts of the league so there could be a few surprise omissions if this is the case. Also will they carry 3 goal keepers like Michael Ryan did? No doubt there will be some debate when the squad is cut!
    Stephen Bennett has to be a part of the set up. The lad needs a rest after the final and then I would draught him in to the panel. He his the hottest prospect since Flynn. serious talent .

Whaaat? Stephen Bennett definately has to be part of the set up, I think he should be in the starting 15, the guy is unbelievable. At the same time they have to be careful with him over burn out, He's on the go since April 2012 after the operation but Derek Mcgrath and Pat Bennett will know what's best for him

Hard to see how Stephen Bennett will be kept on board having missed all the pre season over his success with Ballysaggart?

Stephen bennett is the most in-form young forward in the game at the moment, he is very much in the shake up. He has just very sensibly been left to his club for the time being as it is a once in a lifetime chance for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,890 ✭✭✭deisedude

robopaddy wrote: »
    Stephen bennett is the most in-form young forward in the game at the moment, he is very much in the shake up. He has just very sensibly been left to his club for the time being as it is a once in a lifetime chance for them.

Yep, i pretty much just went to the munster junior final to see him in action. Joy to watch

• Advertisement

robopaddy wrote: »

Absolutely agree about Bennett no doubting his tremendous ability but he will have had no pre season with the squad and won't have sampled the big step up to senior inter county hurling even through challenge games. My fear for him is if he's thrown in at the deep end he might struggle. Just an opinion though,because knowing the same fella he'll probably take to it like a duck to water!

Absolutely agree about Bennett no doubting his tremendous ability but he will have had no pre season with the squad and won't have sampled the big step up to senior inter county hurling even through challenge games. My fear for him is if he's thrown in at the deep end he might struggle. Just an opinion though,because knowing the same fella he'll probably take to it like a duck to water!
    Probably for the best he missed all the pre season training in the bad ground, he's training with UL as well as the club so fitness will be no problem, I don't think he'l be near the first few league games, get him settled in first and then they can unleash the beast!

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Deise Doodler

Deise_2012 wrote: »
    Probably for the best he missed all the pre season training in the bad ground, he's training with UL as well as the club so fitness will be no problem, I don't think he'l be near the first few league games, get him settled in first and then they can unleash the beast!

Bennett is a serious prospect but the lad is just out of minor and has not had a break due to the excellent run with the club, but its a big step up from junior club to senior inter county no matter how good you are,give him time, have him train with extended panel but concentrate on un 21, the most id like to see him with the senior might be the last 5 or 10 minutes of a game that we may have already won ( hopefully)

Bennett is a serious prospect but the lad is just out of minor and has not had a break due to the excellent run with the club, but its a big step up from junior club to senior inter county no matter how good you are,give him time, have him train with extended panel but concentrate on un 21, the most id like to see him with the senior might be the last 5 or 10 minutes of a game that we may have already won ( hopefully)
    Shane O' Donnell thrown in at the deep end after being minor in 2012, Seamus Harnedy was playing junior before his call up to the Cork Senior team. I'd love to see Bennett in the number 13 jersey this year if his fitness doesn't prove to be an issue

I'm going with this for the panel of 26, the team is a rough guess

SOK
    T Burke L Lawlor N Connors
    S Fives M Walsh K Moran
    Philip Mahony J Nagle
    M Shanahan D Fives R Barry
    J Dillon SWalsh Molumphy

S O Sullivan
    G O’Brien
    R Foley
    B O Sullivan
    P Prendergast
    S Prendergast
    P Mahony
    R Donnelly
    J Barron
    T Connors
    S McNulty

Good looking panel , some hard choices for management, but a great complaint , id make a couple of changes from your's reluctantly

SOK
    T Burke S Fives N Connors
    D Fives M Walsh K Moran
    J Nagle Phil Mahony
    Paraic Mahony M Shanahan Molumphy
    J Dillon S Walsh B o Halloran

Shane O' Donnell thrown in at the deep end after being minor in 2012, Seamus Harnedy was playing junior before his call up to the Cork Senior team. I'd love to see Bennett in the number 13 jersey this year if his fitness doesn't prove to be an issue

There are exceptions to every rule, the difference though is that Bennett already has such a huge level of expectancy being placed on him in this county, A little time to acclimatize might not be any harm, would say the same for all the all the lads who have come off the minor panel this year

There are exceptions to every rule, the difference though is that Bennett already has such a huge level of expectancy being placed on him in this county, A little time to acclimatize might not be any harm, would say the same for all the all the lads who have come off the minor panel this year
    Maybe you're right, I would hate it for him to have a bad start and people writing him off here there and everywhere. That stuff really annoys the crap outa me. I think he's the only likely fella from the minors to feature on the senior panel, management will know what's best anyway

I'm laughing here reading this cos it reminds me of when Wolves had Steve Bull playing up front for them and Jimmy Greaves came on television one week wearing a t-shirt with the caption"Let the bull loose!" The beast Bennett has a nice ring to it!
    Must admit Joe Canning at this moment to me,is pure class but the way Bennett is developing as a hurler he's equally as easy to watch. Have a feeling he's going to run riot for Ballysaggart in the final,the open spaces of Croke Park will be right up his alley.
    Having looked at those list of names that were being looked at by the current management team it struck me as to the serious talent we have coming through and not included in that list are the likes of Patrick Curran,Shane Bennett Cormac Curran etc it really is an abundance of riches. Great to see and long may it continue.

I'm laughing here reading this cos it reminds me of when Wolves had Steve Bull playing up front for them and Jimmy Greaves came on television one week wearing a t-shirt with the caption"Let the bull loose!" The beast Bennett has a nice ring to it!
    Must admit Joe Canning at this moment to me,is pure class but the way Bennett is developing as a hurler he's equally as easy to watch. Have a feeling he's going to run riot for Ballysaggart in the final,the open spaces of Croke Park will be right up his alley.
    Having looked at those list of names that were being looked at by the current management team it struck me as to the serious talent we have coming through and not included in that list are the likes of Patrick Curran,Shane Bennett Cormac Curran etc it really is an abundance of riches. Great to see and long may it continue.
    Copyright The beast Bennett!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,356 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

heard our opponents in the first round of the league are miles ahead of us in terms of preperation.

guess we have to wait til the 15th feb to see. We have Galway minus the portumna players on the 23rd feb so that is a must win game for us

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement