Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2013- Mod Warning Post #1

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

PTH2009 wrote: »
    heard our opponents in the first round of the league are miles ahead of us in terms of preperation.

guess we have to wait til the 15th feb to see. We have Galway minus the portumna players on the 23rd feb so that is a must win game for us

Was never inclined to pay heed to Tipp people talking about their own team...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Cake Man

PTH2009 wrote: »
    heard our opponents in the first round of the league are miles ahead of us in terms of preperation.

guess we have to wait til the 15th feb to see. We have Galway minus the portumna players on the 23rd feb so that is a must win game for us

Were ya up in Thurles watching Tipp train the last few weeks yeah!? And comparing that to our lads in Carraiganore?

The Portumna players missing gives us a good chance and agree that is a must win game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

Deise_2012 wrote: »
    Probably for the best he missed all the pre season training in the bad ground, he's training with UL as well as the club so fitness will be no problem, I don't think he'l be near the first few league games, get him settled in first and then they can unleash the beast!

Spot on to be fair id have a lot of confidence that derek mcgrath will handle the situation to perfection. My guess is we mightened see him til the latter stages of the league and by the time the championship comes around he'll be close enough to a starting spot and when he is introduced the opposition wont know too much about him.

Id be very impressed with derek mcgrath so far. How he handles himself, the media and trying out so many young players in pre season. I know its results on the field of play where you will ultimately be judged but mcgrath seems intent on getting the small details right first and thats a big thing. Ive no doubt this guy will leave no stone unturned over the next few years he just needs to be given time

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Shane O' Donnell thrown in at the deep end after being minor in 2012, Seamus Harnedy was playing junior before his call up to the Cork Senior team. I'd love to see Bennett in the number 13 jersey this year if his fitness doesn't prove to be an issue

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Bennett has serious injury trouble already at his tender age? I'd be happy enough not to see him tog out in the league.

With everyone desperate for success, expectations levels in Waterford must stifle many players, and perhaps gee up others. I would imagine that minor all ireland winners coming through other counties whould be coming in with lower profiles and given more time to develop.

Bennett will be involved with his club for another month or two. That'll probably be a nice bit of light relief for him. He'll probably tip away with a bit of training with UL during the week to keep his eye in.

I would have no problem at all if he was used in internal games and friendlies over the coming months, and if he's up to scratch, deployed in a Championship game over the summer having not been initially named in the squad. This might take the pressure off him and give us an ace card in our pocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

hardybuck wrote: »
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but Bennett has serious injury trouble already at his tender age? I'd be happy enough not to see him tog out in the league.

With everyone desperate for success, expectations levels in Waterford must stifle many players, and perhaps gee up others. I would imagine that minor all ireland winners coming through other counties whould be coming in with lower profiles and given more time to develop.

Bennett will be involved with his club for another month or two. That'll probably be a nice bit of light relief for him. He'll probably tip away with a bit of training with UL during the week to keep his eye in.

I would have no problem at all if he was used in internal games and friendlies over the coming months, and if he's up to scratch, deployed in a Championship game over the summer having not been initially named in the squad. This might take the pressure off him and give us an ace card in our pocket.
    Yeah he had a double hip operation last year, what I'm saying is, if he doesn't show signs of burn out or is struggling with an injury, I'd love to see him given a chance this year. He has the potential to be getting 4 or 5 points a game in my opinion

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Yeah he had a double hip operation last year, what I'm saying is, if he doesn't show signs of burn out or is struggling with an injury, I'd love to see him given a chance this year. He has the potential to be getting 4 or 5 points a game in my opinion

I would class the double hip operation as a fairly clear sign of burnout already!

There is a lot of debate regarding this injury at the moment, which is cropping up in a lot of guys in their mid 20s, which is way too young. For it to be happening in such a young guy is particularly worrying.

There is also debate as to the long term success of the operation. If there are underlying issues regarding the structure of the joint or the strength of the muscles in the area, rehab on the area should be attempted first before considering operations. Otherwise you may not really address the underlying cause of the injury.

As this sort of rehab work can take 6 months to a year to get done, I doubt Bennett had the time to do all that. I hope for his sake that he's getting the best advice out there and is well minded during this time, otherwise we mightn't see him play into his 20s.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

Stephen Bennett was in attendance at the game against Mount Leinster Rangers on Friday. He didn't tog out obviously but he seems part of the panel. It would seem strange if he were cut now as Derek McGrath would be aware of his club commitments so why bring him onto the panel and cut him without any opportunity to play?

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭sid wallace

A bit of nostalgia. Programme from one of my greatest days supporting Waterford. First round Munster SHC in Walsh Park. Waterford beat the League Champions 4-9 to 3-8. Cork didn't lose another game in Munster until 1980. 19 May 1974. Sugar baby love by the Rubettes was no 1 in the charts. Waterloo by Abba was no 2.

hardybuck wrote: »
    I would class the double hip operation as a fairly clear sign of burnout already!

There is a lot of debate regarding this injury at the moment, which is cropping up in a lot of guys in their mid 20s, which is way too young. For it to be happening in such a young guy is particularly worrying.

There is also debate as to the long term success of the operation. If there are underlying issues regarding the structure of the joint or the strength of the muscles in the area, rehab on the area should be attempted first before considering operations. Otherwise you may not really address the underlying cause of the injury.

As this sort of rehab work can take 6 months to a year to get done, I doubt Bennett had the time to do all that. I hope for his sake that he's getting the best advice out there and is well minded during this time, otherwise we mightn't see him play into his 20s.

I thought that the rest what he got when he was out with the hips really refreshed his appetite for the game and he came back a much better player after it.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭jimbo21

i had this operation done 2 years ago and had to have it done again on one of my hips

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,546 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Heads up, Lochra Gael will be well worth the watch on Sunday

http://thescore.thejournal.ie/john-mullane-laochra-gael-1289668-Jan2014/

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

Will the junior All-Ireland final be on tv?

Deisegodeo wrote: »
    Will the junior All-Ireland final be on tv?

I don't think so

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Horseboxhead

Would someone please give a list of all the current waterford players playing fitzgibbon or freshers hurling ?, and who they are with if possible , Very hard to get good match reports, and you hear nothing about the freshers. So any info would be great , thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

Would someone please give a list of all the current waterford players playing fitzgibbon or freshers hurling ?, and who they are with if possible , Very hard to get good match reports, and you hear nothing about the freshers. So any info would be great , thank you.
    WIT have Paudie Mahony, SOK, Stephen Roche, Martin O'Neill, Gavin O'Brien, Jerome Maher, Jake Dillon, Cormac Heffernan and their freshers have Aussie Gleeson, Sam O'Neill, Shane Mcnulty, Seanie Barry, Kieran Power as far as I know!
    UCC have Jamie Barron, Shane Roche, Paudie Pender and Darragh Fives but I think Fives is injured at the moment, their freshers team is very good with Tadhg Bourke, Tom Devine, Mark O'Brien, DJ Foran, Barry O'Sullivan and Brian Looby.
    CIT have Ray Barry and David Colins from Abbeyside that's all I know there!
    UL have Stephen Bennett in freshers
    Mary I had Brian O'Halloran and Killian Fitzgerald last year but I'm nearly certain the 2 of them are gone
    Donie Breathnach is on the UCD panel I think or DCU
    Barry Coughlan playing for UCD!
    Tony Browne is playing freshers in WIT I forgot!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭Deise Hurler

Will probably be still playing fitzgibbon cup aged 44 by the looks of it.

http://www.waterfordgaa.ie/news/298307/Policy_on_Pitch_Access_for_Children_at_Matches

Won't please many of you. Really is incredible, we'll all be wearing helmets on the bank before too long!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,546 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

http://www.waterfordgaa.ie/news/298307/Policy_on_Pitch_Access_for_Children_at_Matches

Won't please many of you. Really is incredible, we'll all be wearing helmets on the bank before too long!

Really disappointing but in this day of compo culture its understandable unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

I don't think so

Thats a pity. It is an All Ireland final - surely worthy of being shown by TG4.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 213 ✭✭rambojon

has team been named...? into evens with powers....?

• Advertisement

Deisegodeo wrote: »
    Thats a pity. It is an All Ireland final - surely worthy of being shown by TG4.

TG4 do enough to be fair.

rambojon wrote: »
    has team been named...? into evens with powers....?

1. Tomás Wall Nire

2. Dean Crowley St. Saviours

3. Thomas O’Gorman Nire

4. Kieran Connery Clashmore/Kinsalebeg

5. Cillian O’Keeffe Clashmore/Kinsalebeg

6. Shane Briggs (Captain) Ballinacourty

7. Conor Phelan Brickey Rangers

8. Tommy Prendergast Kilrossanty

9. Shane Aherne Stradbally

10. Tony Grey Stradbally

11. Brian Wall Nire

12. Declan Allen Clashmore/Kinsalebeg

13. Wayne Hutchinson Gaultier

14. Paul Whyte Kilrossanty

15. Liam Ó Lonáin An Rinn

WIT have Paudie Mahony, SOK, Stephen Roche, Martin O'Neill, Gavin O'Brien, Jerome Maher, Jake Dillon, Cormac Heffernan and their freshers have Aussie Gleeson, Sam O'Neill, Shane Mcnulty, Seanie Barry, Kieran Power as far as I know!
    UCC have Jamie Barron, Shane Roche, Paudie Pender and Darragh Fives but I think Fives is injured at the moment, their freshers team is very good with Tadhg Bourke, Tom Devine, Mark O'Brien, DJ Foran, Barry O'Sullivan and Brian Looby.
    CIT have Ray Barry and David Colins from Abbeyside that's all I know there!
    UL have Stephen Bennett in freshers
    Mary I had Brian O'Halloran and Killian Fitzgerald last year but I'm nearly certain the 2 of them are gone
    Donie Breathnach is on the UCD panel I think or DCU
    Barry Coughlan playing for UCD!

UL had a big win over UCD. Eamon Murphy on the bench for ul barry coughlan started fb for ucd. UL have a serious team look like potential winners.

WIT lost to UCC. Paudie prender and barron started for UCC wit have a lot of waterford lads involved

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

Was never inclined to pay heed to Tipp people talking about their own team...

Its hard to know what tippereary will do.

Is the talent there,withoubt a doubt it is.
    Jason forde was unreal today,throw in bubbles dywer,and noel mcgrath,niall o meara,bonner etc,Corbett,they have forwards.

Denis maher was very good for ul today.

The doubt I have is the so called Messiah ,cometh the hour,cometh the man Mcgeeney.Greatly overrated and I cant fathom what he brings to tipp,bar pubilicty and media attention,and they woul do better off the radar.

Thats my doubt with them.They beat wexford,offaly,portumna 2-18 to 2-17 last week in challenges ,cathal kenny is meant to be flying for them.

There playing us in thurles at 7 ,but behind closed doors tommorrow.Championship fair enough ,but feburary in all honesty a bit much.

No doubt the geezer making a mark alright for all the wrong reasons.Apparently tipps call ,to have the game behind closed doors.A joke in fairness in februrary.

Its hard to know what tippereary will do.

Is the talent there,withoubt a doubt it is.
    Jason forde was unreal today,throw in bubbles dywer,and noel mcgrath,niall o meara,bonner etc,Corbett,they have forwards.

Denis maher was very good for ul today.

The doubt I have is the so called Messiah ,cometh the hour,cometh the man Mcgeeney.Greatly overrated and I cant fathom what he brings to tipp,bar pubilicty and media attention,and they woul do better off the radar.

Thats my doubt with them.They beat wexford,offaly,portumna 2-18 to 2-17 last week in challenges ,cathal kenny is meant to be flying for them.

There playing us in thurles at 7 ,but behind closed doors tommorrow.Championship fair enough ,but feburary in all honesty a bit much.

No doubt the geezer making a mark alright for all the wrong reasons.Apparently tipps call ,to have the game behind closed doors.A joke in fairness in februrary.

Not overly concerned about them.. Not a fan of them in general myself some of their supporters are an arrogant ignorant shower. Have found them to be bad losers over the years and often equally as bad winners.
    Dont get the friendly banter youd get with cork or limerick fans on big days. If they get their act together theyd be favourites in my eyes for the AI this year but certainly wont be shouting for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

robopaddy wrote: »
    Not overly concerned about them.. Not a fan of them in general myself some of their supporters are an arrogant ignorant shower. Have found them to be bad losers over the years and often equally as bad winners.
    Dont get the friendly banter youd get with cork or limerick fans on big days. If they get their act together theyd be favourites in my eyes for the AI this year but certainly wont be shouting for them.

Agreed. They're a different breed entirely and when I hear this"tip tip tip"banded around the stadium its enough to drive a man to drink! You can't beat a bit of Cork banter and wit before a championship clash. Funny how West Waterford people would generally support Kilkenny against Tipperary and it would be the exact opposite in the City. All for obvious reasons aswell.
    Any travelers heading to Kilkeal today to the challenge game versus Limerick?!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Cake Man

cul beag wrote: »
    Agreed. They're a different breed entirely and when I hear this"tip tip tip"banded around the stadium its enough to drive a man to drink! You can't beat a bit of Cork banter and wit before a championship clash. Funny how West Waterford people would generally support Kilkenny against Tipperary and it would be the exact opposite in the City. All for obvious reasons aswell.
    Any travelers heading to Kilkeal today to the challenge game versus Limerick?!!

Love how you used the word travellers and Rathkeale in the same sentence! You can also chalk it down anyone from the east would shout for that shower of so and so's from across the bridge.

Club Deise email saying the game moved to Mallow.
    Should be a good workout, can someone stick up a match report later?

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

Cake Man wrote: »
    Love how you used the word travellers and Rathkeale in the same sentence! You can also chalk it down anyone from the east would shout for that shower of so and so's from across the bridge.

I hope to get to it but I'm not certain yet but if I do il certainly send updates. Conditions again will be atrocious and I presume Limerick won't have the Na Piarsaigh lads either?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

Cake Man wrote: »

What time that on toda?unlikey mallow as harty cup game at 3 there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭HillFarmer

What time that on toda?unlikey mallow as harty cup game at 3 there

at 4 in mallow

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement