Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2013- Mod Warning Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

Ropaire wrote: »
    Richie was on fire against Kilkenny last year, he's excellent on long range frees too which is a big problem area for us. Is Martin O'Neill fit again?
    He was named on the WIT panel v UCC but got no game time, I'd say he should be back in a few weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 39,546 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

KevIRL wrote: »
    Waterford down 1-1 to 0-0 early on v clare

1-3 to 0-4 now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

KevIRL wrote: »
    1-3 to 0-4 now

1-5 to 0-06 half time.

Absolute disaster, from 1-5 to 0-7 to 3-8 to 0-7.

Absolute disaster, from 1-5 to 0-7 to 3-8 to 0-7.
    Was Podge Collins involved much when he came on?

• Advertisement

Deise_2012 wrote: »
    Was Podge Collins involved much when he came on?

Wasn't there, just following on twitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,547 ✭✭✭blue note

Laochra Gael on John Mullane now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 kerrrBLAHHH

Watching LaochraGeal... Where did the years go?

Some journey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 kerrrBLAHHH

Wasn't there, just following on twitter.

Came on as a sub... Is his father in charge of the footballers?

Came on as a sub... Is his father in charge of the footballers?
    yep

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Ropaire

Watching LaochraGeal... Where did the years go?

Some journey

It was depressing to watch, so many near misses and Mullane tearing into it in all of them (literally in 2004), when you know how it's going to end for the lad it's pretty bittersweet. I think he retired too early myself and if we had him for the Kilkenny game last year we'd have won, but regardless he's an absolute legend. Jesus, how did we not get at least 1 All Ireland with the players we had!

Ropaire wrote: »
    It was depressing to watch, so many near misses and Mullane tearing into it in all of them (literally in 2004), when you know how it's going to end for the lad it's pretty bittersweet. I think he retired too early myself and if we had him for the Kilkenny game last year we'd have won, but regardless he's an absolute legend. Jesus, how did we not get at least 1 All Ireland with the players we had!
    no full back!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Have to say I liked it but I have always thought that many of the players' careers would need the full hour to delve into things over their career.

I still think that 1998 was the year we threw away an All Ireland. Kilkenny were poor that year and the ploy of pulling out the full forward line and then driving balls in over the forwards' heads that ran out over the line was pure daft.

no full back!

And keeper.

To be honest though, kk, cork or tipped would have won an AI if they had the players we had.

Anyway, it's all in the past now.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭sid wallace

blue note wrote: »
    And keeper.

To be honest though, kk, cork or tipped would have won an AI if they had the players we had.

In fairness we had a keeper, possibly the best keeper in the country, in Laylay Barry, but nothing would do Gerald McCarthy but to get rid of him off the panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭dzilla

That was a hard watch. All our failings and bad memories put into a 25 minute program.

The bits in the middle where they spoke about mull and our munster victorys and league win was good however.

Still think he has something to offer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

And keeper.

most heart-breaking of all.....limerick 07 AI semi......3rd game in 14 days
    9 or 10 points down after like 12 mins......still in with a shout with a min or two left if I recall....they were in hard luck for a goal lim worked ball up the field and got there 5th...was on the hill that day and nearly cried:(

they'll still talk of that in years to come....they played some of their best hurling that year..

Heart-breaking...I've watched Flynn's and Dan's now this. When they make them about Ken and Tony...jesus I dunno how I'll cope.

Heart-breaking...I've watched Flynn's and Dan's now this. When they make them about Ken and Tony...jesus I dunno how I'll cope.

Tony's will have to be an hour long episode.

And keeper.

Clinton was very good I thought

• Advertisement

Clinton was very good I thought

He was would have made a big difference had we had him a few years sooner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

no full back!

definetly was a factor as was the goal keeping problem as someone else alluded to. We were a swashbuckling, flamboyant team going forward on our day no one could live with us but unfortunately defensively we were always a bit suspect. But to pinpoint any of those single reasons for not winning an AI is wrong.

2 main reasons Id give are a) mentality and b) strength in depth

We had a lot of individually brilliant players who were given the freedom to roam around the field as they pleased particularly under Justin. But I feel there were a lot of ego's being accommodated aswell and at times discipline wasn't what it should have been. As a result you had fellahs playing individually rather than collectively as a team and when things went pear-shaped there was often no plan B and some of our big players often ended up losing their head and focus on big occasions.

With regard to strength in depth we had a team of maybe 10 or 12 players who were good enough to get on any team in the country but outside of that a lot of players weren't of intercounty quality. There would be a few weak links on the team that would often prove to be our Achilles heel, and often lacked that game changing player to spring off the bench and turn a game like other counties had. (remember cathal naughton in 06)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭seananigans

Tony's will have to be an hour long episode.

Speaking of, are we soon going to see white smoke rising from Walsh park ?

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Horseboxhead

Ray barry's mentality ie he was a real maverick, but he was easily the best keeper i have ever seen, his puckouts were spot on and got good distance, he could aldo pick a player witha great wristy strike when it was required, he was brave as a lion, stood up when he could have been broken up, no face guard then most of the time no Helmet, great hand, and organised his full back line very competently, also was no soft touch on incoming forwards, he was the original you had to be mad to be a keeper, if he could have got himself right, he would have been the best ever, and i mean all time, that good. What a shot stopper, and great touch, but no point in talking about it now, i do think if sok was more eye of the tiger he too would be an all time great, just comes across as a little bit relaxed, but you can't fault him so far , how micheal ryan could over look hm for a year, for that alone it showed a lack of appreciation for how good sok is, Think we have some good keepers coming though, barry from lismore looks very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭comeraghs

Brendan 'cider' Landers probably deserved more of a chance too, Excellent keeper!

does the squad get cut before the league does anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Hslaw

does the squad get cut before the league does anyone know?

Is it this Sunday or Sunday week were playing Tipp

Hslaw wrote: »
    15th feb

• Registered Users Posts: 39,546 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Hslaw wrote: »

Saturday week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭sid wallace

comeraghs wrote: »
    Brendan 'cider' Landers probably deserved more of a chance too, Excellent keeper!
    I don't think so to be honest. He was hopeless against Linerick down in Cork in 2001 and spread panic through the full back line.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement