Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2013- Mod Warning Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

Ray barry's mentality ie he was a real maverick, but he was easily the best keeper i have ever seen, his puckouts were spot on and got good distance, he could aldo pick a player witha great wristy strike when it was required, he was brave as a lion, stood up when he could have been broken up, no face guard then most of the time no Helmet, great hand, and organised his full back line very competently, also was no soft touch on incoming forwards, he was the original you had to be mad to be a keeper, if he could have got himself right, he would have been the best ever, and i mean all time, that good. What a shot stopper, and great touch, but no point in talking about it now, i do think if sok was more eye of the tiger he too would be an all time great, just comes across as a little bit relaxed, but you can't fault him so far , how micheal ryan could over look hm for a year, for that alone it showed a lack of appreciation for how good sok is, Think we have some good keepers coming though, barry from lismore looks very good.
    He was definitely eccentric on goal alright but had all the qualities to make it as you said. I saw Barry in goal for the freshers last week against the Waterford u21's and he made 3 unbelievable saves,don't know how he got the stick to them on each occasion. Definitely has some future ahead of him.
    Any news on when the panel will be cut? Is there any news players making an impact at training /matches lately? Didn't hear much about the Limerick game last Sat.to know who impressed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

Anyone know the story with adrian power. He only left due to a run in with michael ryan so is he back on the panel again?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

robopaddy wrote: »
    Anyone know the story with adrian power. He only left due to a run in with michael ryan so is he back on the panel again?
    He's working in the US, don't think ballyduff will even see him for a while!

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭babs123

I don't think so to be honest. He was hopeless against Linerick down in Cork in 2001 and spread panic through the full back line.
    to fond of batting the ball. no good under the high ball. solid enough but never made a great save. Was good at coming out past a forward with the ball but that's about it for me. Not in todays class of goalies that we have

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭wingbacknr5

babs123 wrote: »
    solid enough but never made a great save.

Bit harsh in fairness. I remember him pulling off 2 great saves in quick succession against Tipp in the 98 Munster semi in Cork. I think it was Eugene O'Neill and Bonny Kennedy that struck 2 bullets of shots one after another and Landers was equal to them.

As for Ray Barry, great keeper no doubt but it was his attitude and discipline that let him down. In many ways he personified the mentality that existed in the Waterford senior panel when Gerald McCarthy took over, talented but ill-disciplined. I think Gerald made an example of him to show the others he meant business and that he wasn't going to accept players coming and going as they pleased.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭sid wallace

Bit harsh in fairness. I remember him pulling off 2 great saves in quick succession against Tipp in the 98 Munster semi in Cork. I think it was Eugene O'Neill and Bonny Kennedy that struck 2 bullets of shots one after another and Landers was equal to them.

As for Ray Barry, great keeper no doubt but it was his attitude and discipline that let him down. In many ways he personified the mentality that existed in the Waterford senior panel when Gerald McCarthy took over, talented but ill-disciplined. I think Gerald made an example of him to show the others he meant business and that he wasn't going to accept players coming and going as they pleased.

If Gerald McCarthy had any concept of management he would have made an example of a chap playing in a position where we had a bit of cover. Instead of leaving us with a chap who got stage fright playing in Thurles and nearly had to have the blinkers put on to get him off the pitch.

Former great Mossie O'Keeffe was on the news last night sweeping the floodwaters out of the Farleigh Inn in Passage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 kerrrBLAHHH

Landers was a good communicator with his full back line in fairness, but his Siegel display batting the ball out to begley in 2001 multiple times was the nail in his coffin, probably still a better keeper overall than Stephen brenner, but brenner had a big puck out and was a big man who could deal with the high ball.

Landers was a good communicator with his full back line in fairness, but his Siegel display batting the ball out to begley in 2001 multiple times was the nail in his coffin, probably still a better keeper overall than Stephen brenner, but brenner had a big puck out and was a big man who could deal with the high ball.

Low balls on the other hand were a major problem for Stevie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 kerrrBLAHHH

Low balls on the other hand were a major problem for Stevie.

Exhibit A - 2004 Munster final (cringe)

Ya he never really made a save did he?

But I suppose good hand & good puck out > good shot stopper... At inter county if a guy is streaking through on goal it invariably ends up in the net anyway... They probably won't be saved so may as well rule out the ones dribbling through the fingers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Brad1234

Former great Mossie O'Keeffe was on the news last night sweeping the floodwaters out of the Farleigh Inn in Passage.

Did Mossy have Ballygunner or passage gear on?

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Hamstrings59

Deise_2012 wrote: »
    no full back!

looking at laochra gael the other night and watching dec prendergast slipping and falling over himself for the kilkenny goals in 2004 still sickens my hole.

Brad1234 wrote: »

half and half jersey

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭The blue blaa

Brad1234 wrote: »

Was Mossy any good at all?

. would struggle to get on current passage team. blew up in county finals when they needed him most. He is no sean or eamonn cullinane in passage terms

here here. better suited to tennis than goalkeeping

looking at laochra gael the other night and watching dec prendergast slipping and falling over himself for the kilkenny goals in 2004 still sickens my hole.
    harsh. not his natural position and done his best there. even the great ken struggled there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Exhibit A - 2004 Munster final (cringe)

Ya he never really made a save did he?

But I suppose good hand & good puck out > good shot stopper... At inter county if a guy is streaking through on goal it invariably ends up in the net anyway... They probably won't be saved so may as well rule out the ones dribbling through the fingers

I think I saw Brenner make a few good saves in his time. One particulare league game prior to 2003 (possibly in the league that year) against what team I can't remember sticks out in the memory.

But what he did that day and indeed in the Munster final 03 that always used to annoy me was rush out for no reason, and then get rounded leaving an open goal. Punished on both occasions. Big puckout, but not a good keeper.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

Imagine having to train in those conditions tonight, fair play to the lads. So easy for us to go to a few games on a sunday and criticise whoever is having a bad game. That's what drives me mad!

Mossy was a fine player and easily the pick of the Waterford forwards in the early 90s. Sort of player who would have been the icing on the cake of a good team.

• Advertisement

If Gerald McCarthy had any concept of management he would have made an example of a chap playing in a position where we had a bit of cover. Instead of leaving us with a chap who got stage fright playing in Thurles and nearly had to have the blinkers put on to get him off the pitch.

Gerald McCarthy brought waterford hurling out of the stone age. He brought a professionalism and winning mentality to the county set up that no one beleived could ever happen in waterford.
    I really dont see how you need to slate the man 13 years after he left the post because he refused to put up with a head the ball of a keeper in his set up that was meant to be some sort of messiah in some peoples eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭seananigans

Gerald McCarthy brought waterford hurling out of the stone age. He brought a professionalism and winning mentality to the county set up that no one beleived could ever happen in waterford.
    I really dont see how you need to slate the man 13 years after he left the post because he refused to put up with a head the ball of a keeper in his set up that was meant to be some sort of messiah in some peoples eyes.

From wwhat I hear he was a bad influence, he would go on the piss on training nights,and worst of all., take other lads with him, given he was the ringleader ,don;t think Gerald had much of a choice .

From wwhat I hear he was a bad influence, he would go on the piss on training inights,and worst of all., take other lads with him, given he was the ringleader ,don;t think Gerald had much of a choice .

The fact that people lament gerald for that just proves that there will always be a losing mentality among certain quarters in this county

From wwhat I hear he was a bad influence, he would go on the piss on training nights,and worst of all., take other lads with him, given he was the ringleader ,don;t think Gerald had much of a choice .
    Add the famous"growler" to this list aswell! Didn't the 2 of them head to the races in Dungarvan when they were training in Clonea. McCarthy's biggest mistake was when he dropped daly,he then brought the clown back for the semi final against Kilkenny and he didn't hit a ball.Compared to the crop of great players that followed on from then,daly was yet another one who flattered to deceive. Speaking to players after that semi final they were totally pi**ed off that he was brought back and that it disrupted the set up when it happened.

cul beag wrote: »
    Add the famous"growler" to this list aswell! Didn't the 2 of them head to the races in Dungarvan when they were training in Clonea. McCarthy's biggest mistake was when he dropped daly,he then brought the clown back for the semi final against Kilkenny and he didn't hit a ball.Compared to the crop of great players that followed on from then,daly was yet another one who flattered to deceive. Speaking to players after that semi final they were totally pi**ed off that he was brought back and that it disrupted the set up when it happened.
    He actually brought the famous "growler" back for the quarter final against Galway and the famous "growler" played a blinder. The bould "Gerald" hadn't the cop on to realise that in a small county like Waterford he couldn't ditch talented players.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭seananigans

cul beag wrote: »

I think there was a bit on that in the the ecstasy and the agony, I loaned my copy to my dad an he feckin gave it away :-(

He actually brought the famous "growler" back for the quarter final against Galway and the famous "growler" played a blinder. The bould "Gerald" hadn't the cop on to realise that in a small county like Waterford he couldn't ditch talented players.

daly was given every chance, but every time he kept letting himself and his team mates down. he was a lose canon and when push came to shove he didnt have what it takes to perform at the top level.

daly was given every chance, but every time he kept letting himself and his team mates down. he was a lose canon and when push came to shove he didnt have what it takes to perform at the top level.

Exactly. He had shown huge potential during the successful u21 campaign but when it came to producing it at the top level he never did. Compare him to Hartley,Flynn and Tony and then you see what he really produced for the county. A complete liability that actually had a negative effect on the panel.

I think there was a bit on that in the the ecstasy and the agony, I loaned my copy to my dad an he feckin gave it away :-(

i wouldnt be going on much that was written in agony and ecstacy, the book was littered with mistakes and inaccuracies

• Advertisement

babs123 wrote: »
    harsh. not his natural position and done his best there. even the great ken struggled there

did you see the way he went down on the ball for eddie brennans goal in that game, it was a basic hurling skill that he couldnt execute, infront of the defending goal (get down over the ball, bend the back, 2 hands on the hurl, cover the ball, protect the ball, lie on top of the ball if needs be, clear the ball to the wings) and then fell on his hole, if an u12 made that mistake he'd be ate...he was skinned for shefflins goal that day too, shefflin walked past him along the end line as if he wasnt there, how big was prendergast, 6'3, 15 odd stone, why wasnt shefflin horsed over the line? would JJ Delaney have been passed like that and full back wasnt his natural position either...just very bad defending, basic mistakes that a hurler at that level shouldnt be making.
    now, it wasnt prendergasts fault we lost that day, i cant remember anyone performing to standard that day bar flynner and Kennedy when he came on and we were without Mullane too...i really think that 2004 was a one we let slip.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement