Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2013- Mod Warning Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Hamstrings59

cul beag wrote: »
    Exactly. He had shown huge potential during the successful u21 campaign but when it came to producing it at the top level he never did. Compare him to Hartley,Flynn and Tony and then you see what he really produced for the county. A complete liability that actually had a negative effect on the panel.

funnily enough, Growler is doing the circuit these days training and managing teams, maybe he learned something from Gerald after all! remember growler in 92 he was unreal and he gave Lismore fair service down the years, he did have a stint in Cork with Erins Own too. Mad as the hatters though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭seananigans

i wouldnt be going on much that was written in agony and ecstacy, the book was littered with mistakes and inaccuracies

when it's written in several interviews, it must be true

when it's written in several interviews, it must be true

i was talking in general about the book, not that story

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

..i really think that 2004 was a one we let slip.

Kk were a bit cuter than us even though they werent great by their own standards that year. Cork I think werent going to be beaten by us twice in one year if we met them in the final anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

funnily enough, Growler is doing the circuit these days training and managing teams, maybe he learned something from Gerald after all! remember growler in 92 he was unreal and he gave Lismore fair service down the years, he did have a stint in Cork with Erins Own too. Mad as the hatters though!
    In 11 championship games he played for Waterford he scored a total of 1.08!! equates to 1pt per game he played in! Top forward alright!;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

i really think that 2004 was a one we let slip.
    what ever about 2004....2007 really galls with me...so close to a clean sweep...playing some great hurling...height of the boom (imagine what ticket touts would have made off Waterford fans alone for the final).....really don't think they would have fell asunder in the final against a Kilkenny team they beat all ready that year.....what ever about winning it....it would have been some game,hard to believe its 7 years nearly now!!!:o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

In 11 championship games he played for Waterford he scored a total of 1.08!! equates to 1pt per game he played in! Top forward alright!;)

He was unreal in 1992 though *wipes away tear*

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Ropaire

That's not a bad achievement when you look at the teams he was on though. They wouldn't have hurled their way out of a wet paper bag!

Ropaire wrote: »
    That's not a bad achievement when you look at the teams he was on though. They wouldn't have hurled their way out of a wet paper bag!

He only started seven matches as well, so it's not as if his tally was across 770 minutes of hurling.

hat trick in an all ireland final against a serious offaly team -kevin kinahan at full back was no shrinking violet either

• Advertisement

Ignorance is bliss. Waterford were knocking on the door throughout the mid 90s, some fine hurlers just didn't have the belief and level of professionalism other counties had. Gerald mac came in and things started to change. a lot of the talented young players started to believe in themselves and fulfill their potential. Unfortunately certain guys like growler and lay lay didnt buy into it and were left behind due to no ones fault but their own.

Your theory is similar to those waterford supporters who all hopped on the bandwagon in 98, and many refuse to even acknowledge that waterford had a team before then. When the truth is most of those players had been around for 6, 7, 8 years at that stage

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭cleaboy boy

In Croke Park tomorrow, the county's smallest club with the biggest heart will run out to play an All Ireland final, the very best of luck and good wishes to Ballysaggart, what an achievement and what a story, it really is a tale to warm to. I hope they realise their dream and take home All Ireland honours, every best wish from every Deise gael.

In Croke Park tomorrow, the county's smallest club with the biggest heart will run out to play an All Ireland final, the very best of luck and good wishes to Ballysaggart, what an achievement and what a story, it really is a tale to warm to. I hope they realise their dream and take home All Ireland honours, every best wish from every Deise gael.

Well said. It truly is fairytale stuff. I posted it before I think they will win this by 10 points or more. Given the space of the pitch alone,the Bennett brothers will be nearly impossible to hold,bar something drastically goes wrong. They have the experience of having played there on the biggest occasion of all so this must stand to them. Add the undying heart that the management have instilled in them I can't see them being beaten. Pat Bennett will surely have used all his experience that he gained throughout his playing and management days to keep them focused aswell. Wouldn't it be a great start to the year to see another Waterford team winning an all Ireland so soon after winning the minor. There's a documentary in the making for Tg4 out of this story surely?

Best of luck to them again.

robopaddy wrote: »
    Ignorance is bliss. Waterford were knocking on the door throughout the mid 90s, some fine hurlers just didn't have the belief and level of professionalism other counties had. Gerald mac came in and things started to change. a lot of the talented young players started to believe in themselves and fulfill their potential. Unfortunately certain guys like growler and lay lay didnt buy into it and were left behind due to no ones fault but their own.

Your theory is similar to those waterford supporters who all hopped on the bandwagon in 98, and many refuse to even acknowledge that waterford had a team before then. When the truth is most of those players had been around for 6, 7, 8 years at that stage

Well we've been knocking on the door post 1998 too without making the final push to win an All Ireland despite improved professionalism and increased self belief in alot of our players (but every county has done this since), but we never put 15 men on a pitch who were all top hurlers at any point as long as I can remember. There's always been a few passengers or weak lines cos we just didn't have the players. The 2 lads you mentioned would be in the same category as an Eoin Kelly for me, what use is the skill if you don't have the attitude to back it up?

Well we've been knocking on the door post 1998 too without making the final push to win an All Ireland despite improved professionalism and increased self belief in alot of our players (but every county has done this since), but we never put 15 men on a pitch who were all top hurlers at any point as long as I can remember. There's always been a few passengers or weak lines cos we just didn't have the players. The 2 lads you mentioned would be in the same category as an Eoin Kelly for me, what use is the skill if you don't have the attitude to back it up?

4 munsters,1 NL,2 all stars- Not bad for a fella being compared to the 2 previous names. I respect your view on the attitude comparison but consistency alone from Kelly must surely be admired when winning his 2 all stars? I wish the same could be said for Daly and Barry. They both lived off that u21 success for years whereas the real servants to Waterford,the Hartleys,Flynns,and Brownes of this world went on to prove what they could do,consistently,on the national stage having progressed from that u21 success.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

Are ye playing a challenge match the weekend?

Am I the only way who tires of this binary world where winning the All-Ireland is success and not winning it is failure? Sure, it's disappointing that we couldn't lay claim to the ultimate prize, but considering where we came from in the mid 80's it's amazing that we are where we are. If you think that's too defeatist, consider the current situation in Wexford. They won the All-Ireland in recent memory, so must we assume they are a 'success' even though they have taken repeated beatings at all levels in the last few years that place them several rungs further down the ladder than us?

It's probably just me.

4 munsters,1 NL,2 all stars- Not bad for a fella being compared to the 2 previous names. I respect your view on the attitude comparison but consistency alone from Kelly must surely be admired when winning his 2 all stars? I wish the same could be said for Daly and Barry. They both lived off that u21 success for years whereas the real servants to Waterford,the Hartleys,Flynns,and Brownes of this world went on to prove what they could do,consistently,on the national stage having progressed from that u21 success.

Kelly was a fantastic player when his heart was in it and he was in a different league to the two boys, but he could have been so much more if he'd put in the same effort as some players on the panel did with half of his ability. Some of the goals Kelly got were unreal, I had to pick my jaw off the floor after the piledriver he hit in the 2010 Munster final vs Cork. Having said that, if he was around in the 90's he'd have been one of the first lads to go on the lash with the 2 boys and he'd have won as much as they did. The two boys were entitled to do what they did to be honest, but its disheartening and frustrating to see people with that much ability coast by when they're capable of so much more!

I wouldn't classify not winning an All Ireland from season to season as a failure, but when you look back at teams gone by, the barometer of how good they were is in the trophies they won and it's too long since we've won it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭seananigans

It's too long since we won anything at senior...

buildup and momentum mean shag all if it goes nowhere ,and theres evidence of us going backwards

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭shoddy14

Was at the Fitzgibbon game yesterday, UL v Mary I. UL won comfortably in the end but one player of note from a Waterford point of view was the full forward who came on at half time for Mary I, think his name is Brian McCarthy. Apparently he was carrying a hamstring injury which was the reason he didnt start. In the first half Jack Sheehan for UL was absolutely cleaning up at full back, hes a fine player really old school. Anyway McCarthy game on at half time and caused havoc when the ball was launched into him. He didnt score but was directly involved in a number of scores, Mary I got to within 4 points of UL within 10 mins of the restart. He was unlucky not to score from a ground stroke and he made one catch in particular must have rose 5 feet off the ground, and was then hauled down. The type of player we are lacking at full forward

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

shoddy14 wrote: »
    Was at the Fitzgibbon game yesterday, UL v Mary I. UL won comfortably in the end but one player of note from a Waterford point of view was the full forward who came on at half time for Mary I, think his name is Brian McCarthy. Apparently he was carrying a hamstring injury which was the reason he didnt start. In the first half Jack Sheehan for UL was absolutely cleaning up at full back, hes a fine player really old school. Anyway McCarthy game on at half time and caused havoc when the ball was launched into him. He didnt score but was directly involved in a number of scores, Mary I got to within 4 points of UL within 10 mins of the restart. He was unlucky not to score from a ground stroke and he made one catch in particular must have rose 5 feet off the ground, and was then hauled down. The type of player we are lacking at full forward
    I saw a Brian McCarthy from Waterford in the programme for Mary I aswell, I've no idea where he's from though? Never heard of the name before

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 kerrrBLAHHH

Deise_2012 wrote: »
    I saw a Brian McCarthy from Waterford in the programme for Mary I aswell, I've no idea where he's from though? Never heard of the name before

His from Tallow, must be about 6'3? Still u21, like a lot of lads his size at a young age it may have taken him a while to grow into himself.

One thing he certainly wouldn't stand back from anyone or care about guys with reputations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

His from Tallow, must be about 6'3? Still u21, like a lot of lads his size at a young age it may have taken him a while to grow into himself.

One thing he certainly wouldn't stand back from anyone or care about guys with reputations.

More than 6'3 I'd say. Seems a sound lad, but I don't think he's inter-county standard if that's what people are getting at, though haven't seen him play in a while.

More than 6'3 I'd say. Seems a sound lad, but I don't think he's inter-county standard if that's what people are getting at, though haven't seen him play in a while.

Haven't ever heard of Brian McCarthy, he might not inter county standard as you say but Aisake O'hAilpin wasn't either only for his size. If the lad is a handful to mark you never know in a few years!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

Haven't ever heard of Brian McCarthy, he might not inter county standard as you say but Aisake O'hAilpin wasn't either only for his size. If the lad is a handful to mark you never know in a few years!
    I think we have a few lads like this coming through, DJ Foran, Seamus Keating and Cormac Curran, We'll see how they get on with Peter Queally this year anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Aisake was never inter-county, size, no size, whatever way you're judging it.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭sid wallace

deiseach wrote: »
    Am I the only way who tires of this binary world where winning the All-Ireland is success and not winning it is failure? Sure, it's disappointing that we couldn't lay claim to the ultimate prize, but considering where we came from in the mid 80's it's amazing that we are where we are. If you think that's too defeatist, consider the current situation in Wexford. They won the All-Ireland in recent memory, so must we assume they are a 'success' even though they have taken repeated beatings at all levels in the last few years that place them several rungs further down the ladder than us?

It's probably just me.

Deiseach, it's good that we are where we are compared to the bad old days, but it is time we pushed on to the next level. If we don't push on, it's just as likely we will slip back.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭IanVW

Any challenges this weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 39,546 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

IanVW wrote: »
    Any challenges this weekend

Wet roads

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement