Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2013- Mod Warning Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭carter10

Why do they always name just the starting 15? Anyone know who the subs are?

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Deise Doodler

IanVW wrote: »
    Who would you like to see instead? I still cant see how brian o sullivan is still there i dont rate him at all

couple of positional changes, don't like Maurice in the corner, don't feel he's able to deal with the close attentions of a good corner back , particularly one who likes to niggle, prefer to see him in the half forward line, would have preferred to see Moran left in the half back line, he is constantly being shifted between the mid and half and I don't think it allows him to settle in to his best position,
    Would agree about B o Sullivan , Nice hurler, bags of pace but seems to only want the easy ball, no real battle to him. if B O Halloran is fit (I think he is) would prefer to see him in instead

Think id also like to see T de Burke instead of B Coughlin

Below would be my choice but I know D Fives is injured so perhaps Sully instead

Sok
    Burke/Fives/Conners
    Nagle/brick /Moran
    Phil Mahoney /D fives ( S o Sullivan)
    Shan. Mahoney Molumphy
    Dillon , Walsh O Halloran

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭quintain

what about Stephen daniels (DLS)?
    Is he on the way back at all?
    I thought he was maturing into a really serious defender just before he got badly injured last year

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Crusty Blaa

quintain wrote: »
    I thought he was maturing into a really serious defender just before he got badly injured last year

Still on the road to recovery as far as I know. That was a horrific injury he suffered and it will be a good day to see him back hurling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

quintain wrote: »
    April ish as far as I know! Richie Foley around the same

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

Still on the road to recovery as far as I know. That was a horrific injury he suffered and it will be a good day to see him back hurling.

What happened him?

STIG83 wrote: »
    What happened him?
    Shattered kneecap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

Waterford Team to play Tipperary in their opening Allianz Hurling League Game on Satuday night next in Thurles.

1.Stephen O’Keeffe Ballygunner
    2.Barry Coughlan Ballygunner
    3.Shane Fives Carrigtwohill
    4.Noel Connors Passage
    5.Jamie Nagle Dungarvan
    6.Michael Walsh Stradbally
    7.Philip Mahony Ballygunner
    8.Kevin Moran De La Salle
    9.Shane O Sullivan Ballygunner
    10.Jamie Barron Fourmilewater
    11.Paraic Mahony Ballygunner
    12.Jake Dillon De La Salle
    13.Maurice Shanahan Lismore
    14.Shane Walsh Fourmilewater
    15.Brian O Sullivan Ballygunner

Strange to see a team named so early but whatever the reason its a different and fresh approach and theres nothing wrong with that.

As for the team itself it was always going to be hard to pick as there are a lot of players competing for places who are all around the same level. No matter what team was picked, we are seriously up against it next Saturday against Tipp. They are going to be a serious proposition this year and truth be told we are going to struggle in this league. I have faith that management will get the best out of these players but we need to give it time.

Im hoping to some of the younger players step it up this year starting from Saturday but like I said Im not expecting miracles and I dont think anyone else should be either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Cake Man

It'll be very tough v Tipp on Saturday, think many will be travelling in hope more than expectation. Should be a good test though to see where we are at. We will prob have to pick our battles in the league and they'll most likely come against the likes of Galway and Dublin.
    What's the extent if Darragh Fives injury and when will we expect him back? One of our best players IMO and we could do with him involved ASAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭dzilla

anybody have any idea how the waterford lads played on the interprovincial?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭seananigans

hmm looking at odds, we are 26/1 to win the ai ,compared to 42/1 this time last year

12/1 to win munster,which involves 3 very tough matches so that seems fair,but we're given awful odds on the league,

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Ropaire

hmm looking at odds, we are 26/1 to win the ai ,compared to 42/1 this time last year

12/1 to win munster,which involves 3 very tough matches so that seems fair,but we're given awful odds on the league,

They're prob factoring in Limerick and Cork playing in the quarter finals for the league, we'd do well to win the knockout rounds if we get into them. Is there relegation odds?

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

Ropaire wrote: »
    They're prob factoring in Limerick and Cork playing in the quarter finals for the league, we'd do well to win the knockout rounds if we get into them. Is there relegation odds?

It went unnoticed in a lot of the media last year but there isn't really much difference between playing division 1 or 2 of the league now. If anything division 2 could be an advantage as there are easy games to try players and harder games in the latter spring months

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

It went unnoticed in a lot of the media last year but there isn't really much difference between playing division 1 or 2 of the league now. If anything division 2 could be an advantage as there are easy games to try players and harder games in the latter spring months

Based on a sample size of 1 season! I can't remember another year with non-Div 1 teams winning anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,547 ✭✭✭blue note

There's not much difference between the top 8 teams. There's then a bit of a difference looking at wexford and offalyand another difference looking at the other two in division 2 (1B).

A year or two in division 2 does not harm to a team, but I wouldn't want to be down there for a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭seananigans

Ballysaggart game to be played next sat in mullingar at 2pm ,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

hardybuck wrote: »
    Based on a sample size of 1 season! I can't remember another year with non-Div 1 teams winning anything.

And the all-ireland champions beat a division 2A team, two 1B teams, relegated 1A team and Galway. And they drew with two of them (and lost to Cork) before winning it.

Last year was crazy.

Ballysaggart game to be played next sat in mullingar at 2pm ,
    Mullingar 2pm and then Thurles 7pm, Saturday sorted! Hope the week flies by!

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭3ships

And the all-ireland champions beat a division 2A team, two 1B teams, relegated 1A team and Galway. And they drew with two of them (and lost to Cork) before winning it.

Last year was crazy.

And us

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

3ships wrote: »
    And us

True, forgot about that one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,890 ✭✭✭deisedude

Deferred coverage of the match on Setanta Ireland from 9pm. Game is live on Setanta 1

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭The blue blaa

How is molumphy not playin this one? Surely he will be put in there before saturday evening, we need the ugly ballwinners like him against physical teams like tipp. I think were very light in forwards. Last thing I want to see is that style he tried to get DLS to play where it was like if you weren't inside the 45 you can't score silly system to play where the corners pull out on top of the wing forward lines, no doubt we have players coming thru but the running game style I cansee us playing that cork used/invented always had a mullicker centre forward like Niall McCarthy an full forward like h'ailpin or corcoran physically demanding players to target for the lay off. Honestly I think tipp will win the league and this is the worst fixture to start with for Waterford were a team in the making an I hope ppl remember that saturday night and don't forget how good Tipp are.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭3ships

yes Stevie and Seamus much more suited to Saturday Night Winter hurling than a couple of those named. I don't think anybody could under estimate Tipp after scoring 4-22 in the Crystal Cup Final .. but management know this.. so it'll be interesting to see the set up at throw in

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭babs123

How is molumphy not playin this one? Surely he will be put in there before saturday evening, we need the ugly ballwinners like him against physical teams like tipp. I think were very light in forwards. Last thing I want to see is that style he tried to get DLS to play where it was like if you weren't inside the 45 you can't score silly system to play where the corners pull out on top of the wing forward lines, no doubt we have players coming thru but the running game style I cansee us playing that cork used/invented always had a mullicker centre forward like Niall McCarthy an full forward like h'ailpin or corcoran physically demanding players to target for the lay off. Honestly I think tipp will win the league and this is the worst fixture to start with for Waterford were a team in the making an I hope ppl remember that saturday night and don't forget how good Tipp are.
    Padraig maher is going to have an absolute field day sat evening. He will destroy our half forward line on his own

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭sid wallace

I see Cody is off undermining referees already and a ball hasn't been pucked yet this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

babs123 wrote: »
    Padraig maher is going to have an absolute field day sat evening. He will destroy our half forward line on his own

Id echo the sentiments above id fear for us on saturday with the team thats picked. Mcgrath could be in for a big backlash if it goes wrong. 9 of the starting team are ex students of his, im not implying anything but with experienced guys like pender and molumphy being overlooked its going to be thrown back at him

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Horseboxhead

I think we will struggle to score enough on sat night , i was hoping to see maybe tadgh burke get a run , thought molumphy or prender would start, however i'm not the man picking the side and Derek is, for a reason, which is he is the man who is in the hot seat, I think it will be a different side in two/three weeks i think it will take us a bit of time to get going, and maybe we might find ourselves struggeling to stay in division 1, but i think thats pretty much based on the fact that we are now definatly in transition mode, and will not be out of this , for at least this year. I would be happy enough if we were getting the best out of the players on the field, that we were up to speed in the physical fitness stakes[was not sure we were really at it under previous manager], and we play good fast aggressive waterford hurling, if we do this then it will give us a little hope for next year when everybody should be more settled, and one or two or even three new names have come up to speed and we start winning things again.
    Targets for this year should be to avoid relagation , and to get to a quarter final in the championship, and to develop a style and panel of players for next year.
    I don't think Tipp are anyhting special, i think they have nothing new, i just think they are a bit furthur along in terms of preperation and are a little more settled, i think it will be tipp by a goal, and whilst it would be a sickner to get beaten by that shower of £$%^& it is far more important for everyone to see some progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Horseboxhead

and this ex-student thing is bandied about like its a bad thing , i mean how, or why is this even an issue ?, Am i Missing something?.

from the last few challenge matches they've played, the plan is accurate passing into the forwards, I don't see how Maher will have a field day if they play low balls into space, only if they resort to hitting high balls then it would be bread and butter for Maher. I can see Jamie Barron being brought out as a 3rd midfielder and then Maurice into wing forward for a bit of height.
    That team named could easily change come 7pm Saturday so don't be talking about Molumphy not starting yet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

robopaddy wrote: »
    Id echo the sentiments above id fear for us on saturday with the team thats picked. Mcgrath could be in for a big backlash if it goes wrong. 9 of the starting team are ex students of his, im not implying anything but with experienced guys like pender and molumphy being overlooked its going to be thrown back at him

In fairness it's difficult to assess what shape guys are in currently. Their performances or fitness mightn't be where they should be for this time of year. You can't pick guys largely on the basis that they're experienced.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement