Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2013- Mod Warning Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭The blue blaa

hardybuck wrote: »
    In fairness it's difficult to assess what shape guys are in currently. Their performances or fitness mightn't be where they should be for this time of year. You can't pick guys largely on the basis that they're experienced.

I fully agree with your point
    "You can't pick guys largely on the basis that they're experienced" however from what I saw in Carriganore in the Waterford Crystal cup Molumphy was by far our only real shining light when he came on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

I fully agree with your point
    "You can't pick guys largely on the basis that they're experienced" however from what I saw in Carriganore in the Waterford Crystal cup Molumphy was by far our only real shining light when he came on.

Would he have 50+ mins in him?

Would he have 50+ mins in him?

If it were any other player like Seamus Prendergast I'd say no he maybe wouldn't give ya 50+ mins in February but Molumphy he's super fit

If it were any other player like Seamus Prendergast I'd say no he maybe wouldn't give ya 50+ mins in February but Molumphy he's super fit

Well, in fairness we haven't a clue. The team management will know that. I'd agree that he'd normally be fit but we're on the outside looking in. He could have a knock or anything laying him low.

Well, in fairness we haven't a clue. The team management will know that. I'd agree that he'd normally be fit but we're on the outside looking in. He could have a knock or anything laying him low.

Haven't a clue... Ouch

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

robopaddy wrote: »
    Id echo the sentiments above id fear for us on saturday with the team thats picked. Mcgrath could be in for a big backlash if it goes wrong. 9 of the starting team are ex students of his, im not implying anything but with experienced guys like pender and molumphy being overlooked its going to be thrown back at him

Whose going to throw it back at him? People seem to be almost paving the way for a loss at the minute, seems like McGrath can't possibly disappoint anybody here no matter the outcome of the game.

Not that this game is the be all and end all by any means. That said, I would not have a cut at him for his students thing because that would be a load of shíte given 8 of them have played Senior championship on more than one occasion and Barry Coughlan came out of last year's club championship with some commendment so if we're ever gonna see if he's good enough now is the time to do it.

Don't think they need to start Prender, but surely Molumphy needs all the game time he can get and to be honest looked far fitter than most last month against UL. Looking forward to the game, don't expect us to be too far away and I would be a bit worried if we were getting beaten soundly to be honest.

You may not be able to under-estimate Tipp's score v Clare, but you could certainly over-estimate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭3ships

Molumphy played for Munster last weekend - full match

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭carter10

Is it not a good thing that we can have the likes of molumphy, prender, p prender and ray Barry on the line?
    This is a big game for tipp and o Shea they've come in for a lot of criticism from their own and have a lot to prove. They're well up for next Sat. That said I think we'll give a good account of ourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

carter10 wrote: »
    Is it not a good thing that we can have the likes of molumphy, prender, p prender and ray Barry on the line?
    This is a big game for tipp and o Shea they've come in for a lot of criticism from their own and have a lot to prove. They're well up for next Sat. That said I think we'll give a good account of ourselves.
    P prender and Ray Barry will be way down the pecking order this season, Don't think Barry is a wing forward and he's going to be waiting a long while before he can get into that half back line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

Deise_2012 wrote: »
    Don't think Barry is a wing forward

what makes you think that, was it the 1-3 he scored against KK in the championship last year? :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36 kerrrBLAHHH

what makes you think that, was it the 1-3 he scored against KK in the championship last year? :D

He wasn't great in the U-21 against Clare and should have sent off, that's more like his true form, he is a good hurler but when the chips are down he has a suspect temperament and discipline. A view I am basing on seeing a lot of club games especially at minor/21.... The same could be said of a lot of the current lismore players

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

He wasn't great in the U-21 against Clare and should have sent off, that's more like his true form, he is a good hurler but when the chips are down he has a suspect temperament and discipline. A view I am basing on seeing a lot of club games especially at minor/21.... The same could be said of a lot of the current lismore players

Was that the same game he got an u21 award for on tg4?!! Don't ever remember hearing anything about him being sent off at minor or u21 games? Bit harsh on him if I'm being honest,I thought he and paudie Prendergast had a very good and progressive year last year. Remember this is a learning curve,they are young players learning their trade at the highest level. Of course its going to take time as it will this year with the likes of tadgh de burca,Ryan Donnelly,Stephen Bennett Austin Gleeson etc so at least give them a chance. Sounds like you have an anti Lismore thing going on there😠My advice would be hold fire on that topic until at least the club championship starts and then you can get it all off your chest ðŸ˜. Deep breaths my man,deep breaths 😂

cul beag wrote: »
    Was that the same game he got an u21 award for on tg4?!! Don't ever remember hearing anything about him being sent off at minor or u21 games? Bit harsh on him if I'm being honest,I thought he and paudie Prendergast had a very good and progressive year last year. Remember this is a learning curve,they are young players learning their trade at the highest level. Of course its going to take time as it will this year with the likes of tadgh de burca,Ryan Donnelly,Stephen Bennett Austin Gleeson etc so at least give them a chance. Sounds like you have an anti Lismore thing going on there😠My advice would be hold fire on that topic until at least the club championship starts and then you can get it all off your chest ðŸ˜. Deep breaths my man,deep breaths 😂

From a discipline point of view I didnt mean sending offs, but in that U-21 game when down to 14 men, I think he gave away too many frees and lost discipline from that point of view, I think that if we werent already down to 14 men I think his accumulative fouling would have resulted in him being sent off.
    he was no where near Waterfords best player on the day (Jake Dillon was) and that he got on the team of the championship shows how much of a farce these awards are.
    Basically Waterford were the only team that got anywhere close to Clare and had to have someone on the team, it was a process of elimination whereby every deserving Clare player got one in there positions and it was a case of whose left?
    In fairness the senior game against kilkenny may have been a factor, the disappointment and all that, but it didnt seem to affect Jake Dillon.
    sorry but that is how Lismore are viewed, espeicially down here in the city, look at there recent championship history. its not an anti-lismore thing it is just the facts.... anyway everyone who is not from Lismore is anti lismore anyway arent they? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

From a discipline point of view I didnt mean sending offs, but in that U-21 game when down to 14 men, I think he gave away too many frees and lost discipline from that point of view, I think that if we werent already down to 14 men I think his accumulative fouling would have resulted in him being sent off.
    he was no where near Waterfo'rds best player on the day (Jake Dillon was) and that he got on the team of the championship shows how much of a farce these awards are.
    Basically Waterford were the only team that got anywhere close to Clare and had to have someone on the team, it was a process of elimination whereby every deserving Clare player got one in there positions and it was a case of whose left?
    In fairness the senior game against kilkenny may have been a factor, the disappointment and all that, but it didnt seem to affect Jake Dillon.
    sorry but that is how Lismore are viewed, espeicially down here in the city, look at there recent championship history. its not an anti-lismore thing it is just the facts.... anyway everyone who is not from Lismore is anti lismore anyway arent they? ;)

Barry played well that day. What I found strange was that day's after scoring 1-3 against Kilkenny he played corner back. He was listed half back but played in the corner. Seemed very strange.

He's a good player but I think he needs a position. Being asked to play in any line on any given day doesn't help him

he was no where near Waterfords best player on the day (Jake Dillon was) and that he got on the team of the championship shows how much of a farce these awards are.

What in gods name are u talking about. The guy was one of the stand out performers on the night to the extent he was named on the team of the year. A great achievement for the lad and he should be applauded for his efforts instead of you trying to knit-pick faults in his game to put him down because of some agenda you have with his club. I wonder sometimes about the attitude in this county.
    If only we had more lads like him with his versatility and attitude in this county and less of the bitter negative type

Not having a go at him, just I saw a few games he played at wing forward for the Seniors, looks more comfortable in the backline

What in gods name are u talking about. The guy was one of the stand out performers on the night to the extent he was named on the team of the year. A great achievement for the lad and he should be applauded for his efforts instead of you trying to knit-pick faults in his game to put him down because of some agenda you have with his club. I wonder sometimes about the attitude in this county.
    If only we had more lads like him with his versatility and attitude in this county and less of the bitter negative type

Look it has nothing to do with his club, I will be honest that night I was disappointed with how our half back line of Prendergast, Fives and Barry performed. Barry was the best of the three with Fives being the biggest disappointment.

I already went through why I think these teams of the year and all-stars can be taking with a pinch of salt. thats why Paul Flynn only got one.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Ropaire

Not having a go at him, just I saw a few games he played at wing forward for the Seniors, looks more comfortable in the backline

Thay may be the case, but we're well stocked for backs and very light in the forward line. Moran did a job for us wing forward under Davy before moving further back, Barry is capable of doing the same.

Ropaire wrote: »
    Thay may be the case, but we're well stocked for backs and very light in the forward line. Moran did a job for us wing forward under Davy before moving further back, Barry is capable of doing the same.
    Hated davy's tactics to be honest, never liked the hurling they played, especially with Moran in the half forward line, way too much of a talent to be used like that. Just my opinion I think there's much better options than Barry at wing forward

Hated davy's tactics to be honest, never liked the hurling they played, especially with Moran in the half forward line, way too much of a talent to be used like that. Just my opinion I think there's much better options than Barry at wing forward

Same as that, nothing against Barry he is a fine hurler, but it is playing senior hurling for Waterford we are talking about and there is better players in the county now at a time when we are blessed with outstanding young talent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭seananigans

Did Brian O'Halloran tog out against mount leinster rangers does anyone know? I think I remember seeing his name appear on the subs listed

Although I think the weather is to be ok for Sunday, there could be a few cancellations at the weekend, especially in Munster.

Although I think the weather is to be ok for Sunday, there could be a few cancellations at the weekend, especially in Munster.

Waterford match on sat btw

Waterford match on sat btw

Right, even greater chance of cancellation then...lots of rain due on Fri night and Sat morning.

Same as that, nothing against Barry he is a fine hurler, but it is playing senior hurling for Waterford we are talking about and there is better pcomiplayers in the county now at a time when we are blessed with outstanding young talent.

You keep contradicting yourself. The lad is still only u21 this year and been one of the most promising youngsters at senior/u21 the last couple years.. His progress has been a lot quicker since coming out of minor than a lot of other lads that would have had a bigger reputation than him. Maybe thats why ur not keen on him. Hes getting in the way of some lads that were meant to be the great whitehope on ur eyes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

You keep contradicting yourself. The lad is still only u21 this year and been one of the most promising youngsters at senior/u21 the last couple years.. His progress has been a lot quicker since coming out of minor than a lot of other lads that would have had a bigger reputation than him. Maybe thats why ur not keen on him. Hes getting in the way of some lads that were meant to be the great whitehope on ur eyes.

Think we should maybe be a little bit more realistic about his progress. He did something incredible against Kilkenny, his form isn't really that spectacular outside of it though he has potential.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭HillFarmer

Seamus pender Is injured according to the news and star.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

Did Brian O'Halloran tog out against mount leinster rangers does anyone know? I think I remember seeing his name appear on the subs listed

No he was togged off but didn't make an appearance

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement