Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2013- Mod Warning Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Pudders

Giveitfong wrote: »
    Could Cody’s concerns about restrictions on physicality, perchance, be linked in any way with the fact that physicality was a key factor (although by no means the only one) in Kilkenny’s domination of hurling over the last decade?

Kilkenny's dominance was because they had the most skilful hurlers in Ireland at the time including 2/3 in JJ, Tommy and Henry that arguably could be amongst the best hurlers ever to grace the game.

Physicallity was only a small part of the Kilkenny game but keep dreaming about what may or may not have happened. More Kilkenny players have left the field injured in the last numbers of years from dirty blows than vice-versa. Kilkenny are / were no dirty than any other team. But keep carping on about it. It is a scratched record at this stage. One thing won't change and that is the all Ireland medals in the back pockets in Kilkenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭The blue blaa

Brad1234 wrote: »
    Just wanted to make points and its fair easier to make comparisons with something that is constantly on tv and free for people to watch rather than old hurling match 90% of people probably havent been or watched....

This is a Waterford GAA thread we are that remaining 10% of people who have actually been to or just watched

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

dzilla wrote: »
    2 articles about Stephen Daniels in the times and indo today. Good reads, no doubt we will see the best of him into the summer.

Agreed, but I wish we ourselves had some of the tricks of trade up our sleeve in the noughties, I reckon we would have won a lot more.

Is Lawlor gone now or? Is he on the panel or injured?
    Awesome article! The amount of top quality backs we have coming through is unreal. Wait 2/3 years and it'll be the same at the other end of the pitch!!

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Deise Doodler

Pudders wrote: »
    Kilkenny's dominance was because they had the most skilful hurlers in Ireland at the time including 2/3 in JJ, Tommy and Henry that arguably could be amongst the best hurlers ever to grace the game.

Physicallity was only a small part of the Kilkenny game but keep dreaming about what may or may not have happened. More Kilkenny players have left the field injured in the last numbers of years from dirty blows than vice-versa. Kilkenny are / were no dirty than any other team. But keep carping on about it. It is a scratched record at this stage. One thing won't change and that is the all Ireland medals in the back pockets in Kilkenny.

No doubt about the fact that they had exceptionally skilled players, but there is also no doubt that they put quite a huge emphasis on physicality, to the point of bringing in Micky Harte to develop their tackling technique, the difference between Kilkenny's physicality and the rest of the teams at that stage was that Kilkenny's was well drilled & executed, a hell of a lot of effort went into making sure that got away with it more often than not. They played on the edge and usually well past it.
    If the rules of the game had been applied to a lot of their play they may not have had quite the amount of success that they did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

Pudders wrote: »

The views given by giveitfong wouldnt be the general view of the genuine hurling public in waterford or anywhere else for that matter. I always felt myself that this was something that the media sort of clung to after a certain clare man who likes to stir it up (see hes at it again with offaly this week) started it off and within no time it was public perception.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Ropaire

robopaddy wrote: »
    The views given by giveitfong wouldnt be the general view of the genuine hurling public in waterford or anywhere else for that matter. I always felt myself that this was something that the media sort of clung to after a certain clare man who likes to stir it up (see hes at it again with offaly this week) started it off and within no time it was public perception.

I think Tommy Walsh and Brian Hogan did more than anyone to give that impression meself. Stuff like tipping people's helmets and the way they collar people around the neck with hurls is stuff everyone does if you get away with it, but Kilkenny backs are very cynical when there's players through on goal. I checked youtube for it but can't find it, there was a compilation of fouls a while ago and in one of them Brian Hogan stabs a lad in the hip with the handle of the hurl to stop him and gets a yellow card! If black cards came in for hurling (and i really hope they don't) Liam Lawlor and half the Kilkenny backs would never finish a game.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭shoddy14

He picked up an injury against Clare in the first half. Was exceptional for the 2 games in the Midlands. Didn't happen against Kilkenny but it's too harsh to hang him out to dry for that.

Shanahan would want to up it big time. Hes been on the panel long enough. Non existant against Kilkenny, that was his chance but he failed to perform again when the pressure is. Ye'd wana stop harping on about his performances against micky mouse teams too, as Ger Loughlane righly commented, Offaly are only a shower of fat cu#ts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

What are peoples thoughts on the game tonight? Having seen that tipp team ive changed my mind a bit. We should definetly beleive were capable of getting something off them. The wide pitch in thurles will suit our forwards and weve a strong enough bench aswell. Whats the forecast?

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭HillFarmer

What are peoples thoughts on the game tonight? Having seen that tipp team ive changed my mind a bit. We should definetly beleive were capable of getting something off them. The wide pitch in thurles will suit our forwards and weve a strong enough bench aswell. Whats the forecast?

Looking at the Tip team below, good few lads I dont know. Interesting o mahony is in full back for them. I think if the weather is very bad it will suit Tip.

TIPPERARY (SH v Waterford) – Darren Gleeson; Cathal Barrett, Conor O’Mahony, Michael Cahill; Shane McGrath, Padraic Maher, Conor O’Brien; Brendan Maher (Captain), James Woodlock; Seamus Callanan, Noel McGrath, Kieran Bergin; Jason Forde, Paddy Murphy, John O’Dwyer

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

shoddy14 wrote: »
    Shanahan would want to up it big time. Hes been on the panel long enough. Non existant against Kilkenny, that was his chance but he failed to perform again when the pressure is. Ye'd wana stop harping on about his performances against micky mouse teams too, as Ger Loughlane righly commented, Offaly are only a shower of fat cu#ts

First off loughnanes comments were nonsensical. Were you at the offaly game? Point out these over weight players if so. Also if you are at it you will remember Stephen o keeffe making two good saves at the end. Offaly were still going strong at the end, a fair achievement for unfit players.

Shanahans chance was against Kilkenny? Why so? I mean I can think of 3 other forwards who did not perform that day. Why is Maurice the only one who missed his chance? He's been one of the best forwards in the club championship for years, has had injuries and suspensions almost every year but still offers something up front. He is still only growing into his frame too. But he can play as his scoring record shows

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Deise Doodler

Is that to suggest that giveitlong is not a genuine hurling supporter ?, think you will find that quite a few genuine hurling people, ( perhaps the ones that don't chat on the net) around the county & country have a similar opinion, No disrespect to Kilkenny, they do what they do and they do it well,. it up to GAA to enforce their own rules, or else change them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 kerrrBLAHHH

What Ger lock said this year was nonsense... This year... Look at Joe Bergin, I have never seen him as lean as this year... But up yo this year he was over weight for an inter county hurler. Looking at the condition he was in last year no one can say he wasn't.

I don't see Kilkenny bending or breaking rules, Brian hogan, Jackie tyrell these man hit ya hard but they are not dirty players, they are great defenders

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

U21 team are playing Tipp in Morris park at 5 this evening for anyone heading to Thurles early.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Brad1234 wrote: »
    Just wanted to make points and its fair easier to make comparisons with something that is constantly on tv and free for people to watch rather than old hurling match 90% of people probably havent been or watched..

Davy learned his trade in Waterford perfected it in Clare.. He had guys filled with too much information on the day and they just followed like zombies without ever having 'heads up' hurling which is a lot of how it has always been played.. which proves again my point on having a tightened up pitch brick follow and one midfield cover in the hole.. Brick is only one man doing a job to break down the rest of their system as mcgrath is integral.. The rest will just play there natural game.. The day against tipp most of the backs will probably play that way on Sat night the only difference is they won't have Davy drilling them with information which makes them second guess their position/thoughts and end up getting slaughtered

Ah it has probably go over your head anyway with comments like the one above..

Sure everything goes over peoples head here except your own, the guru of hurling.

My opinion, nobody reads the game as a deep lying centre back like brick does. He is in the right position so often. Why would you take one of our big strengths away? That's what Tipp are trying to achieve. They want an idiotic move of Brick following McGrath to open up the space. And that will happen even if you put a less experienced back in the centre.

Plus you've never seen Brick following a man like that I'll warrant, your making a guess that he has pace which in fact he doesn't have so putting someone with a bit more pace to track McGrath would make far more sense, if that is how Tipp choose to play the game.

Jackie Tyrell on Seamis Callinan 2009. Jackie Tyrell on Maurice Shanahan 2009. There's a compilation video on youtube of all the times Tommy Walsh somehow avoided getting sent off. They're cynical, Cody's comments in the media are enough to make you realize this. They'd complain about not enough protection for TJ Reid and Michael Rice, and then they come out and say 'lets do away with yellow and red cards'. and the sheep following along for the ride :D

Cody can say whatever he wants, his no1 priority at the moment is Kilkenny and not hurling in general.

But say if I came out and said we do away with cards altogether I wouldn't be given the time of day, and could probably never say anything a again without someone bringing it up that I was the idiot that thought of that. Cody's no idiot, the people actually debating this are though.

Finally, saw no reason why we shouldn't run Tipp close this weekend. Having seen both teams, see no reason why that would change.

First off loughnanes comments were nonsensical. Were you at the offaly game? Point out these over weight players if so. Also if you are at it you will remember Stephen o keeffe making two good saves at the end. Offaly were still going strong at the end, a fair achievement for unfit players.

Shanahans chance was against Kilkenny? Why so? I mean I can think of 3 other forwards who did not perform that day. Why is Maurice the only one who missed his chance? He's been one of the best forwards in the club championship for years, has had injuries and suspensions almost every year but still offers something up front. He is still only growing into his frame too. But he can play as his scoring record shows

Name the 3 of them so, and have they been on the panel longer than him without establishing themselves as a regular first team players? Suspensions? Whos fault is that only his own, my god

• Registered Users Posts: 39,546 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Ballysaggart 1-5 to 0-6, but against the wind for second half which is just starting. Stephen Bennett with the goal

Creggan ahead 1-7 to 1-6

BS down to 14 as Kieran Bennett sent off (second yellow), Creggan up by 2

1-7 1-8 with 10 mins left

1-10 to 1-7 now. Another late saving goal required

• Advertisement

Creggan down to 14 now too, but still 3 in it

FT 1-11 to 1-7. Win for Creggan

Where's Morris Park?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Deise_2012 wrote: »
    Where's Morris Park?

The field you walk through to get into Semple, Thurles Sars pitch.

The field you walk through to get into Semple, Thurles Sars pitch.
    Ha. Embarrassing on my part, cheers Mountainlad!

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

shoddy14 wrote: »
    Name the 3 of them so, and have they been on the panel longer than him without establishing themselves as a regular first team players? Suspensions? Whos fault is that only his own, my god

I note you answered none of my questions. Sometimes silence speaks volumes.

I obviously will not name them. I took exception to a player being criticised unfairly. Why would I do that if I was prepared to knife 3 others. They are young lads and I hope they come good. But they have a while to even reach maurices level.

Maurice was baited for one suspension. The other player involved should have been sanctioned far earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Funfair

Anywhere online to watch the Tipp V Waterford game tonight ?

I note you answered none of my questions. Sometimes silence speaks volumes.

I obviously will not name them. I took exception to a player being criticised unfairly. Why would I do that if I was prepared to knife 3 others. They are young lads and I hope they come good. But they have a while to even reach maurices level.

Maurice was baited for one suspension. The other player involved should have been sanctioned far earlier.

Course I was at the game, what would be the point in making comments if I hadn't seen the game. It was Shanahans big chance because hes been on the panel way longer than most of the other forwards that played, a few of them were still under 21 and at least 2 of them it was their debut season. Cant back your point up thats why you wont (cant) name them cause the only older forwards playing that day were Seamus and Shane sul (both of whom are cemented in the 1st team every game if fit). No good beaing the best club hurler for the last 5 years in waterford, you need to start doing it on the big stage

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

Ballysaggart not happy with the referee in today's game. Pat Bennett was on WLR and he absolutely slated the ref - said Ballysaggart players were being flaked off the ball and the ref allowed it to happen. I wasnt there so cant comment, but Bennett was furious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,547 ✭✭✭blue note

Deisegodeo wrote: »
    Ballysaggart not happy with the referee in today's game. Pat Bennett was on WLR and he absolutely slated the ref - said Ballysaggart players were being flaked off the ball and the ref allowed it to happen. I wasnt there so cant comment, but Bennett was furious.

I was at it and other than the treatment that Stephen Bennett got it was a fairly contested match. For the Cregan sending off, Ballysaggart won a free on their own 45. While Stephen Bennett was running from there to the Cregan goal 3 separate players shouldered him before he reached their 45. The 3rd floored him and was given a 2nd yellow. His first was also for a tussle with Bennett that they were both booked for.

Once he went off the 1st thing his new marker did was jab him with his Hurley when he went over to him.

To be honest, it bothers me more because of his age. Especially with opposition fans shouting at him.

All that said, Ballysaggart did the county proud and gave the village something they'll be talking about in 50 years time. They were 2nd best on the day, but when you put the achievement in perspective few clubs in the country could rival it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement