Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2013- Mod Warning Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Funfair

Tipp V Waterford online here...http://www.nutjob.eu/njtvx32.html

• Registered Users Posts: 39,546 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

should be more than 3 points up at half time...

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Some very good play but too many bad wides

Ridiculous decision gifting Tipp a point there

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

Why was that free given?

• Advertisement

Why was that free given?

Given for overcarrying. Retake because they apparently weren't far enough back (when really he just made a balls of it)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

Given for overcarrying. Retake because they apparently weren't far enough back (when really he just made a balls of it)

The free was terrible, the Waterford lads were back a mile from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭taytobreath

i dont think those commentators for setanta have said 1 single positive thing for waterford. that nicky english grrrrrrrrrrr

Ah Jesus SOK >_<

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 kerrrBLAHHH

Backs and midfield played well, special mention Shane Fives.
    Like we played without a forward line at times, very frustrating, our back 8 have to do everything for us it seems. Too many passengers in the forwards but I suppose they are as good as what we have. Barron seems to take too much out of the ball and runs into trouble a lot. Tipp had class in the forwards that we sadly lacked.
    SOK again vulnerable when he was coming off his line

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭taytobreath

Ah Jesus SOK >_<

feckin hell that was a shocker by him, was he even close to catching it. i think the sun was in his eyes

Positives - Backs and midfield were largely good, Shane Fives and Philip Mahoney in particular. Mostly good free taking from Paudie Mahoney although a couple of long range ones he should never have gone for. We fought for the ball well and were first to a lot of breaking balls too.

Negatives - Complete lack of forwards, and forward options. Seemed to be very little thinking with long range shots the order of the day and no trying to work space. Should have been out sight really by half time.

Left valuable league points behind there tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭dzilla

Tipp wont get a softer 3 points this season

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

feckin hell that was a shocker by him, was he even close to catching it. i think the sun was in his eyes

He must have been the only lad to have the sun affecting him after 8pm in February....

Anyway it was a total killer coz there was still a great chance of coming away with a point from Tipp and a slim chance of winning it, despite not playing terribly well.
    As a side note, what on earth happened to Maurices elbow??

KevIRL wrote: »
    Positives - Backs and midfield were largely good, Shane Fives and Philip Mahoney in particular. Mostly good free taking from Paudie Mahoney although a couple of long range ones he should never have gone for. We fought for the ball well and were first to a lot of breaking balls too.

Negatives - Complete lack of forwards, and forward options. Seemed to be very little thinking with long range shots the order of the day and no trying to work space. Should have been out sight really by half time.

Left valuable league points behind there tonight

Some players fought very hard, won a lot of 50:50's, that was great to see. All happening in our defence though.

We may need to fast track some of the minors, feel sorry for the backs cause they tried their hearts out, it must have been like hitting the ball off a wall

Not gonna panic though, at least we were getting a lot of chances, it was a tough night to even get possession yet we still worked it well and did get the shots in. Clare were hitting heaps of wides at later stages in the league last year. Down in Cork tonight both Limerick and Cork scored 17 points each, just 1 less than us, but for the lucky goal we would have matched Tipp's score.

Certainly we left the result behind but things have to be taken in proportion

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

Forwards poor again. Barron put in a hugh shift sometimes taking the wrong options. Maurice the same. The 2 Mahoney's were very good even allowing for paudie's bad wides. Brian o Sullivan and Jake Dillon were non existent. But to bring on Eddie Barrett what was that about? When you look down the substitute bench I wonder where all the strength in depth was as the only ones that realistically were going to make a difference were Prendergast and molumphy. Shane fives did very well at full back aswell. Points thrown away and again we never looked like getting a goal bar the one chance given to Brian o Sullivan which went a begging.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

Is that to suggest that giveitlong is not a genuine hurling supporter ?, think you will find that quite a few genuine hurling people, ( perhaps the ones that don't chat on the net) around the county & country have a similar opinion, No disrespect to Kilkenny, they do what they do and they do it well,. it up to GAA to enforce their own rules, or else change them

Like you say if the rules arent been enforced properly then kk are the only ones cute enough to exploit that, you have to ask what are the rest of us doing? Sitting back and watching, while moaning and complaining like sissies. Why dont we follow suit? I get embarrassed when waterford supporters start harping on about this, a lot of the time I think its nothing other than sour grapes. And dont give me this crap about a youtube video as evidence you could make a similar one for any other team in any other sport if you do enough nit picking

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 607 ✭✭✭jack o shea

That maurice shan is a big useless lump.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

As a tipp fan I wasnt too happy with that show. neither team looked great to me

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

It's frustrating to lose a game you should win, no doubt about it. What lost it was the wides, we should have been well clear. What happened to O'Keeffe could happen to anyone, has to be forgiven as he did play well and being a goalkeeper at that late stage in 3 degrees weather is an awful task for anyone.

It was disappointing to see the inaccuracy, I would make an allowance for the cold to some extent. At the same time though, it's hard to excuse players of that talent missing scores when they have time and space.

In a league like this it is 2 points down no matter what the expectations are before hand, and especially when we had the opportunities to win it. Our aim has got be quarter finals this year so it is disappointing.

That said though it could have been a lot worse. It is worrying that we have a serious lack of scoring forwards, especially given Seamus and Molumphy were who were brought on to solve that problem.

Would only have agreed with one of the subs today in terms of who was replaced, but dunno what the thinking behind it was.

Special mention for Noel Connors who hasn't been mentioned yet, my man of the match he was superb.

cul beag wrote: »
    Forwards poor again. Barron put in a hugh shift sometimes taking the wrong options. Maurice the same. The 2 Mahoney's were very good even allowing for paudie's bad wides. Brian o Sullivan and Jake Dillon were non existent. But to bring on Eddie Barrett what was that about? When you look down the substitute bench I wonder where all the strength in depth was as the only ones that realistically were going to make a difference were Prendergast and molumphy. Shane fives did very well at full back aswell. Points thrown away and again we never looked like getting a goal bar the one chance given to Brian o Sullivan which went a begging.

Have to agree with that, we never look a scoring a goal anymore, what was once our strongest asset

Have to agree with that, we never look a scoring a goal anymore, what was once our strongest asset

Allowing for the conditions though, Tipp didn't look like scoring one either bar a mistake in our backline and then a fortuitous late goal. The pitch was as slow as I've ever seen it.

Allowing for the conditions though, Tipp didn't look like scoring one either bar a mistake in our backline and then a fortuitous late goal. The pitch was as slow as I've ever seen it.

Ya possibly, but I don't just mean tonight it is a trend for the last few seasons

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Hard luck lads. Your poor wides lost it for you. You should of been well ahead but alas in the end the goals done the damage.

It must be frustrating seeing us play so poor but still win although it never looked to be a good game if hurling from the get go.

Anyway best of luck in the rest of the league gents.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

It's frustrating to lose a game you should win, no doubt about it. What lost it was the wides, we should have been well clear. What happened to O'Keeffe could happen to anyone, has to be forgiven as he did play well and being a goalkeeper at that late stage in 3 degrees weather is an awful task for anyone.

It was disappointing to see the inaccuracy, I would make an allowance for the cold to some extent. At the same time though, it's hard to excuse players of that talent missing scores when they have time and space.

In a league like this it is 2 points down no matter what the expectations are before hand, and especially when we had the opportunities to win it. Our aim has got be quarter finals this year so it is disappointing.

That said though it could have been a lot worse. It is worrying that we have a serious lack of scoring forwards, especially given Seamus and Molumphy were who were brought on to solve that problem.

Would only have agreed with one of the subs today in terms of who was replaced, but dunno what the thinking behind it was.

Special mention for Noel Connors who hasn't been mentioned yet, my man of the match he was superb.

Yes Noel Connors was excellent. As stated earlier I think we were ok from 1-9 but I still think we're going to be suspect as in conseeding goals against a better forward line as I still think we can be opened up as tonight there seemed at times to be a lot of space between our full back line and socky. Once or twice we got vital interceptions that could have easily slipped through to a Tipp forward. Just hope there isn't a DLS angle being brought to the panel as I stated earlier with my opinion on one of the substitutes.

cul beag wrote: »
    Yes Noel Connors was excellent. As stated earlier I think we were ok from 1-9 but I still think we're going to be suspect as in conseeding goals against a better forward line as I still think we can be opened up as tonight there seemed at times to be a lot of space between our full back line and socky. Once or twice we got vital interceptions that could have easily slipped through to a Tipp forward. Just hope there isn't a DLS angle being brought to the panel as I stated earlier with my opinion on one of the substitutes.

Agree re the space, was particularly noticable to me first half I thought too many crowded round the ball and if it broke we could have been short cover against an on rushing forward, but it was never an actual issue. Bar the firs goal which was just a case of getting caught in possession, Tipp didn't have a shot on goal. Pity Maurice's pull didn't go in in the first half.

Who do we have next weekend?

Agree re the space, was particularly noticable to me first half I thought too many crowded round the ball and if it broke we could have been short cover against an on rushing forward, but it was never an actual issue. Bar the firs goal which was just a case of getting caught in possession, Tipp didn't have a shot on goal. Pity Maurice's pull didn't go in in the first half.

Who do we have next weekend?

Galway at home next up, its a must win

KevIRL wrote: »
    Galway at home next up, its a must win

Yeah, think we should be beating them anyway, otherwise we don't really deserve to stay up never mind 4th place.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

Would ye bring bennett into it? I know its very early days but like ye say cant see where the goals are going to come from. Basically theres nothing new since last years defeat to kk we know 1-9 we are fairly sound but up the field we just dont have enough

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement