Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2013- Mod Warning Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,546 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

robopaddy wrote: »
    Would ye bring bennett into it? I know its very early days but like ye say cant see where the goals are going to come from. Basically theres nothing new since last years defeat to kk we know 1-9 we are fairly sound but up the field we just dont have enough

Need to give him a bit of a break imo, maybe the later stages of the league but he's been going non stop with BS

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭carter10

I am surprised no one has yet mentioned the tactical madness we witnessed in Thurles tonight. People are saying our forwards didnt play well, what forwards? the one person we played up front on their own 40 yards from anyone else or maybe people are mistaking one of the 6 midfielders we played as forwards?
    This "tactic" of course was compounded by asking the player with the least amount of pace and who has been out for an extended period through injury to carry our goal threat.
    I am of course being a ott with that, we did play a second forward...Maurice
    In fairness though you have to hand it to Maurice, he played a blinder, how he managed to avoid being hauled ashore for 65 minutes takes some skill. One particular piece of footwork late on was very impressive, after getting inside his man and with a clear path to goal he dropped his shoulder and....made towards the corner flag, cutting the angle from probable to impossible with just one little shimmy..class. In fairness to him he had to repeat the move 5 minutes later and send the ball wide meekly on the left before he finally got the tug of the collar from the line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

carter10 wrote: »
    I am surprised no one has yet mentioned the tactical madness we witnessed in Thurles tonight. People are saying our forwards didnt play well, what forwards? the one person we played up front on their own 40 yards from anyone else or maybe people are mistaking one of the 6 midfielders we played as forwards?
    This "tactic" of course was compounded by asking the player with the least amount of pace and who has been out for an extended period through injury to carry our goal threat.
    I am of course being a ott with that, we did play a second forward...Maurice
    In fairness though you have to hand it to Maurice, he played a blinder, how he managed to avoid being hauled ashore for 65 minutes takes some skill. One particular piece of footwork late on was very impressive, after getting inside his man and with a clear path to goal he dropped his shoulder and....made towards the corner flag, cutting the angle from probable to impossible with just one little shimmy..class. In fairness to him he had to repeat the move 5 minutes later and send the ball wide meekly on the left before he finally got the tug of the collar from the line.

I thought you were our best forward Carter if I'm honest, your a wizard with the old keyboard sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

robopaddy wrote: »
    Would ye bring bennett into it? I know its very early days but like ye say cant see where the goals are going to come from. Basically theres nothing new since last years defeat to kk we know 1-9 we are fairly sound but up the field we just dont have enough

Yes we need him alright but I'd say he would need a few weeks off to be fair to the young fella. Strange to see Ray Barry playing with the u21 earlier does anyone know is he coming back from injury or was he dropped?
    Shane Walsh struggled aswell so to score 16pts with the amount of forwards that didn't perform must be encouraging but its definitely a bad sign when we have to pin our hopes on Stephen Bennett even though he hasn't played at this level yet. But unfortunately it looks like we need him sooner rather than later.
    Would ye think about starting Seamus Prendergast at full forward the next day? Would/should padraig Prendergast come in to the equation at any stage? He has been hurling well for UCC in the Fitzgibbon cup. Molumphy will be needed I think next week because this will be another battle-something he thrives on.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭shoddy14

What did I tell ye about Shanahan before the game.. The famous quote ''my grandmother can move faster than that, and shes dead'' comes to mind

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

shoddy14 wrote: »
    What did I tell ye about Shanahan before the game.. The famous quote ''my grandmother can move faster than that, and shes dead'' comes to mind

Good one

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭culbaire

i dont think those commentators for setanta have said 1 single positive thing for waterford. that nicky english grrrrrrrrrrr
    Its time to face facts. This was a bad performance. Stephen O'Keeffe has a lot of improvement to make. He very nearly conceded a goal early in the game as well. He made a similar blunder against Kilkenny last year. The reality is that he is not good in the air. He needs to sort this out. I am not blaming him for the loss of the match. Too many scoring chances were wasted.
    Its a matter of opinion as to who is the best goalkeeper in the county. Looks like this is going to be mainly a De La Salle/Ballygunner/ city environs outfit. Tipperary was there for the taking. Some of the substitutions were quite simply baffling. There is no point in blaming Nicky English or the commentator. Waterford threw away the game with bad shooting. Tipp wont be as bad again. There are also weaknesses in the backline.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Ballyvoile Boy

I'm amazed no-one has mentioned Tadhg de Burca re our forwards problem. Talented young player and while I know he is being developed as a back, he wouldn't look a gift horse for a scoring chance either.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭carter10

I thought you were our best forward Carter if I'm honest, your a wizard with the old keyboard sure!
    Mountainlad, I'm sick of watching him drag his arse around games, lost patience with him tonight. No player I can remember has played so poorly for so long and stayed in the side. I just don't get it.

I'm amazed no-one has mentioned Tadhg de Burca re our forwards problem. Talented young player and while I know he is being developed as a back, he wouldn't look a gift horse for a scoring chance either.
    He is not from De La salle or Ballygunner. That is his biggest weakness.

• Advertisement

KevIRL wrote: »
    Need to give him a bit of a break imo, maybe the later stages of the league but he's been going non stop with BS
    If Bennett has any sense he will remain out of the panel. He needs to recover from injury fully.

Why single out one forward?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 607 ✭✭✭jack o shea

have never seen young bennett hurl but surely to god he is better than mini dan?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭taytobreath

how many frees did maurice shanahan win for waterford? i thought he played ok. where are people gettin the notion that he is slow? he's a big long skinny fella

have never seen young bennett hurl but surely to god he is better than mini dan?
    What about the other forwards?

how many frees did maurice shanahan win for waterford? i thought he played ok. where are people gettin the notion that he is slow? he's a big long skinny fella

He gets the ball, runs into trouble or worse the corner flag. He never gets away from his man no power in his running what so ever, he must have a magnet up his shorts cause there is always an opposition defender stuck up it!

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭babs123

we need a new free taker immediately. He misses too much for me. we have no forward to pick a pass like noel McGrath did. we have nobody on tonights panel to get a goal. No point playing that system when the inside line don't take on their men. Shane walsh had no chance tonight with that system. its hard to watch. It was very similar to our u21 performance against clare. fives Philip mahony Connors stood out for me. No flare though. Too methodical and don't have the players to play that game

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭babs123

He gets the ball, runs into trouble or worse the corner flag. He never gets away from his man no power in his running what so ever, he must have a magnet up his shorts cause there is always an opposition defender stuck up it!
    I thought he was our best forward tonight

He was not at his best . But he was better than several forwards who were anonymous. You see there are certain individuals posting here who wish to protect players from their own clubs by demonising one player. That's Waterford for you. It was ever the same. The GAA is beset by parochialism in Waterford. We are going to have mainly a De La Salle/ Ballygunner/ city environs outfit as a county team. It is a return to the past. Note how no city player is being scapegoated by Maurice's critics

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

babs123 wrote: »
    I thought he was our best forward tonight

Would probably agree, better than at least 2 that stayed on.

• Advertisement

culbaire wrote: »
    He was not at his best . But he was better than several forwards who were anonymous. You see there are certain individuals posting here who wish to protect players from their own clubs by demonising one player. That's Waterford for you. It was ever the same. The GAA is beset by parochialism in Waterford. We are going to have mainly a De La Salle/ Ballygunner/ city environs outfit as a country team. It is a return to the past. Note how no city player is being scapegoated by Maurice's critics

Come off it im not even from the city. Like another poster said hes been given so many chances why are they persisting? The younger forwards were just as bad but they need to be given more time

Come off it im not even from the city. Like another poster said hes been given so many chances why are they persisting? The younger forwards were just as bad but they need to be given more time
    The new selectors have already made several bad calls. I saw enough in the substitution policy tonight to sicken me.

culbaire wrote: »
    The new selectors have already made several bad calls. I saw enough in the substitution policy tonight to sicken me.

Agree on that completely, wtf like? Personally I would have completely emptied the bench

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 607 ✭✭✭jack o shea

im not even from waterford and i think its obvious little dan is no use to ye.

babs123 wrote: »
    we need a new free taker immediately. He misses too much for me. we have no forward to pick a pass like noel McGrath did. we have nobody on tonights panel to get a goal. No point playing that system when the inside line don't take on their men. Shane walsh had no chance tonight with that system. its hard to watch. It was very similar to our u21 performance against clare. fives Philip mahony Connors stood out for me. No flare though. Too methodical and don't have the players to play that game
    Largely agree with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Horseboxhead

Brian Sullivan is not up to it End of Story, does not have the pace , work ethic or Class to perform at this level, is only Ordinary for Ballygunner, what is everyone giving out about maurice for he was poor sure, but are ye nuts, what did brian o sullivan do, very similer players interms of time on the Waterford panel, and effectivness both are not up to it at the very top level end of story,

im not even from waterford and i think its obvious little dan is no use to ye.
    You obviously have a problem with the Shanahans. Jealousy the green eyed monster?? By the way I am not from the Lismore club. You have made a pathetic effort to belittle Maurice Sahanahan. He is anything but "little".

• Registered Users Posts: 3 jamjam24

Maurice was by far the better forward tonight think ye are being critical of him tonight.. Jake/Jamie were not at the races at all and just ran into trouble. Brian in the corner is useless should of got hauled off in the 1st half not up to the the standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭taytobreath

Agree on that completely, wtf like? Personally I would have completely emptied the bench

what manager would completely empty the bench when your 1 point down with 5 minutes to go. fair enough we were terrible in the 2nd half but waterford fought on as they usually do, it would make it worse if u emptied the bench with 20 mins left. as another poster said we wont panic yet.. lessons will be learned.

dont you think?

• Advertisement

Brian Sullivan is not up to it End of Story, does not have the pace , work ethic or Class to perform at this level, is only Ordinary for Ballygunner, what is everyone giving out about maurice for he was poor sure, but are ye nuts, what did brian o sullivan do, very similer players interms of time on the Waterford panel, and effectivness both are not up to it at the very top level end of story,
    The critics of Shanahan are mainly from the city. Some of them were at it in the crowd tonight but had no criticism of any city player. It really angered me to listen to them single out one player.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement