Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nikwax waterproofing

• 17-08-2013 8:55am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭

Has anybody tried waterproofing using this? My 5 year old Dainese jacket is beginning to let in so I thought I might give this a go. I've put cheaper jackets in the machine and the results were a disaster! I'd rather keep throwing a light rainjacket over it, if theres a possibility of it losing form. Any thoughts lads and lassies?

Nikwax Amazon

[IMG][/img]tA000Ce.png

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

I've used it on my jacket without any issues.
    Just put it on the easiest wash your machine has so its not smashing the jacket around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 900 ✭✭✭650Ginge

I've used it on my jacket without any issues.
    Just put it on the easiest wash your machine has so its not smashing the jacket around.

To be honest you get better results if you wash the jacket, in the machine if you like but safer by hand, then soak the jacket in a bucket or bath with the nikwax.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

Is the waterproofing any good? Is it a return to form?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 900 ✭✭✭650Ginge

Is the waterproofing any good? Is it a return to form?

Yes it's good but it works on the outside surface of the jacket, start proof materials are usually attached to the inside. So it will work better in that the jacket won't hold water. But it will not last long and using the jacket everyday it will allow rain come through again. It is more designed for walking jackets used once a month or whatever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

That Amazon price is extortionate. You'll probably get it cheaper from your local outdoor shop.

It does improve waterproofing but it won't work wonders and restore the jacket to as-new performance.

You'll need to first clean out any traces of laundary detergent from the w/machine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

I personally found Nikwax products to be quite poor. Wore off in just a few days and started letting water through despite very thorough application.
    Saying that, I haven't tried these particular products yet.

I've always seen those two products as a "maintenance" of the waterproofing.

You cant just let a jacket fall to shreds and them magically fix it with some liquid in a bottle. But every few months when you need to wash your jacket use these two and it will keep up the waterproofness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭MonstaMash

Slather your gear in goose or duck fat & never again wash them...100% waterproof guaranteed, some fookin bang of it though :D :P

MonstaMash wrote: »
    Slather your gear in goose or duck fat & never again wash them...100% waterproof guaranteed, some fookin bang of it though :D :P
    Last time I slathered my gear in goose fat it didn't end well :)

That Amazon price is extortionate.
    Its an ok price, each of those bottles is a litre

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Its an ok price, each of those bottles is a litre

Cheaper in 53 degrees north store.

My missus bought it for her outdoor rain gear for her work.

Just got back from the great outdoors on chatham st, got 300ml tech wash and 300ml wash-in for €14.00, now to strip the armour!

Soap removed from washing machine, jacket in, wash on delicate at 40°, 3 capfuls of tech wash added, tea made, feet up.
    Waits....

wash done, threw in 2.5 capfuls of tx wash-in, set to 30° synthetic wash, 4000rpm, another tea, waits......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭peckerhead

An eerie silence settled over the motorbike forum, as Skill Magill's fingers kept slipping off the keys of his laptop.

peckerhead wrote: »
    An eerie silence settled over the motorbike forum, as Skill Magill's fingers kept slipping off the keys of his laptop.

More suspense than the after hours safe thread!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

Tis one of them fancy washing machines with a 26hr endurance cycle, so will be another wee while

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭Fabio

Nikwax works well. I had an €80 Duchinni jacket that it kept pretty much watertight for over two years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I thought if your jacket leaks, it leaks. Probably the goretex has a hole worn in it somewhere. All nikwax is, a product for cleaning the jacket as normal detergent will fúck it up.
    I used it a good few times just to clean jackets.
    Great tip I got from boards is to soak your jacket in a bath with milton for 20 minutes in it before you throw it in the washing machine with the nikwax. Gets rid of that bike jacket smell.

Ha Ha, I didn't think anyone was reading this!! I'm just waiting for a rainy day now to check it out. There's a slightly waxy feel to the jacket so hopefully this should keep me dry for a while. I have the feeling it won't last long though! I am impressed with the finish , I haven't fukced the jacket up and would certainly have no qualms about putting in a new jacket in to maintain it.

• Advertisement

I'm just waiting for rainy day now to check it out. There's a slightly waxy feel to the jacket so hopefully this should keep me dry for a while. I have the feeling it won't last long though!

Just put the jacket on and get in the shower. lol.

I see clouds.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Am I the only one who doesn't wash their bike gear?.

I must have my jacket (a JTS) close on 20 years or more. Its never been washed and has never once leaked.

I must have my jacket (a JTS) close on 20 years or more. Its never been washed and has never once leaked.

See the other thread about not talking to dirty bikers. Lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

20 years!
    Does it not smell? When I say smelly jacket, I'm talking about cordura type jacket, and stinks on the outside.
    The oil content from the spray off the road has probably turned it into a sort of wax waterproof layer.

Cienciano wrote: »
    20 years!
    Does it not smell? When I say smelly jacket, I'm talking about cordura type jacket, and stinks on the outside.
    The oil content from the spray off the road has probably turned it into a sort of wax waterproof layer.

Its gas, the thing is probably f*cking stinking and no one will say anything :)

But seriously its never been washed, has been worn in almost ever weather condition, been through crashes, slept in at rallys etc etc and the only damage is a broken belt buckle and a tiny tear in the sleeve where I over cooked a wheelie and ran the bike down a wall lol

And honestly, apart from elasticated cuffs getting wet the jacket has never leaked ~ and never seen a washing machine :o

I had a very good friend called Filthy Frank Magoo back in the day who never washed his traditional denim cut & jeans...they were so dirty he claimed they were completely waterproof...I believed him :eek: :D

MonstaMash wrote: »
    I had a very good friend called Filthy Frank Magoo back in the day who never washed his traditional denim cut & jeans...they were so dirty he claimed they were completely waterproof...I believed him :eek: :D

That was an old biker thing to do, never was your 'originals'. Then as the the jeans needed replacing you wore your new jean under your originals until the originals eventually fell apart then the cycle started over again.

Originals BikerCut_zpse693074b.jpg

• Advertisement

^^^^^^

:D:D

[IMG][/img]3qjPyHC.png

Advertisement