Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Freezing cooking apples

Options
  • 17-08-2013 10:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭

Is it possible to freeze cooking apples? I've got a fair few on my apple tree. I imagine I'd have to peel and slice them.

I'd be using them to make tarts and pies.

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Although I haven't done it myself I'd say you could slice them, sprinkle with sugar and freeze them. The only problem is that they might go brown so you'd need to pop them into a big bowl of water that has lemon juice in it as you slice them.
    I usually just stew them with sugar before freezing.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭G-Man

Slice and freeze ready to use for tarts or pies works ok.. More in a hybrid tradition is to store them somewhere cool and use over the winter as needed. Storing them until Christmas or until they start to go off and then slice and freeze. They will easily last a few months in storage prior to freezing.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Morgase

That's great advice, thanks! I think I'll try stewing them with sugar, letting it cool and then put into tupperware to freeze.

G-Man, you've jogged my memory that I've seen other people storing them individually wrapped and keeping in a cool place. Usually in the garage, but I'd be wary of doing this myself as I've only the kitchen to store them in which I fear would be too warm. I'll bear it in mind for the future though :)

Advertisement