Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish travellers arrive in Polish town...

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Aineoil

dharma200 wrote: »
    It really depends on how far out your tax is, as in two months or more, and also the precise reason why the check point is there.... They could have been specifically there to arrest said people in van and your tax was irrelevant to that particular check point

Fair point, I take that on board.

My tax was out by about three months, I think. I thought my husband had got it for me and he thought I had renewed it. When I actually looked at the windscreen and at the disc, I nearly had a weakness. I'm not too sure but the car tax people usually send a reminder out to you if you haven't taxed your car after about four months.

We live in rural Ireland and have a post box on a pillar at the end of our avenue, because it's easier for the postperson. My husband usually collects the post and stores it in his car (his choice). More often than not I never get to see the post, no mind what it contains. Joking aside this could be a future thread!

I find that the reminders to renew the tax disc arrive a bit to early. You open the envelope and think ok, I'll do that and then forget about it.
    I know this is off topic.

The family were dropping their children off to school. As far as memory serves me, there were no arrests.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Aineoil

I'm sure this thread will not disabuse you of that thought.

Maybe I am too innocent. But I am just saying what I saw and I was uncomfortable with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Duck's hoop

Aineoil wrote: »
    Maybe I am too innocent. But I am just saying what I saw and I was uncomfortable with it.

Look at the comments already posted! And that's just the beginning. I think we can safely say there is fairly routine discrimination and stereotyping of travellers in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Chinaman666

I think if travellers want to have a proper good time they should be allowed to have a proper good time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭shane9689

its as simple as implementing the law!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭happyviolet

bumper234 wrote: »
    I wonder what would happen to us settled folk if a bunch of us took a town (Borriss Co Carlow) over for day for a horse and left it in this state. Do you think we would be allowed to get away with it?

http://www.independent.ie/migration_catalog/article25332912.ece/ALTERNATES/w300square/Council-workers

http://cdn4.independent.ie/migration_catalog/article25091688.ece/ALTERNATES/h342/Rubbish_I

Me and my family were there on the first day they were setting the fair up, trying to drive through that god awful traffic. Even though there were paths on each side of the road, with loads of space for them to walk up on, they still felt the need to actually walk on the road in between the cars which made it even more difficult to drive. :confused::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Gary Sprake

They will get their come-uppance fairly quickly in Poland if they continue to act the bollocks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Dostoevsky wrote: »
    Irish Travellers accused of fighting and disturbances in Poland

'The staff member said the hotel sent out a warning to other hotels after the guests spent the night drinking heavily and banging on other guests’ rooms as well as throwing items out of the windows.
    The news site also said the behaviour of about 35 Travellers in a local campsite had been “scandalous”...'

So, is this the sort of thing that happens when we discriminate against travellers or is this the result of our discrimination against them? Or both? Are they getting away with too much by playing the "discrimination" card?

The Irish are just returning the favour....:pac::pac::D

Seen as half of Poland arrived over here in Irish towns several years ago,and still fly back over here each month to collect the dole and child benifits.

Lots of building sites in Poland with "No Irish" signs on them.

Ah but no,thats not discrimination though,is it?????:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,221 ✭✭✭NuckingFacker

I had to go pick up some teenagers(mine, sadly)from the gig in Slane, last night. The behaviour of an awful lot of the Travvellers teenagers there was borderline animal - they were rowdy, fighting, sloshed, pi55ing all over the place and onto cars and giving the Gards a right pain in their gigs. And there wasn't a transit van or check shirt in sight. I know these music fans claim to be an ethnic minority, but I think the cops need to demand they behave like normal human beings..they'll give us Irish a bad name..........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Dostoevsky

paddy147 wrote: »

Can you give evidence of one such site? (a link to an Independent Newspapers' article which makes this allegation without naming a single site is not evidence.)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 496 ✭✭renraw

Dostoevsky wrote: »
    Can you give evidence of one such site? (a link to an Independent Newspapers' article which makes this allegation without naming a single site is not evidence.)

Life is great, and loving each and everyone!

20 Romanians have moved next to you?

They want to "have a laugh"

Get "pissed"

but, the following morning, its down to business?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 496 ✭✭renraw

renraw wrote: »
    Life is great, and loving each and everyone!

20 Romanians have moved next to you?

They want to "have a laugh"

Get "pissed"

but, the following morning, its down to business?

What does that sound like???

The Irish lads, hitting aussie shores...??

And you know what they say? when they enter Australian borders?

Erm, my ma usually looks after that sort of thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

There was a thread here about a year back about a similar problem in Finland, I can only imagine what the prim and proper Finnish would think of some of these lads. I presume they've headed north because of being hounded out of States like Germany and the Netherlands. Poor Poland of course also suffers from the 'Flight'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

The Irish are just returning the favour....:pac::pac::D

Seen as half of Poland arrived over here in Irish towns several years ago,and still fly back over here each month to collect the dole and child benifits.

Ah but no,thats not discrimination though,is it?????:rolleyes:

...amazing. Countering ignorant generalisations with ignorant generalisations.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Are all travellers Irish?

'They're not English, they're not Irish, they're just bleedin' Pikey' ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

85% of them are unemployed. Their way of life is not sustainable.

Nodin wrote: »
    ...amazing. Countering ignorant generalisations with ignorant generalisations.....

Well if they were all reigned in and stopped from comming over on cheap Ryanair flights to falsely claim the money,then maybe Miss Burton wouldnt have to take a tenner a week off the beloved OAPS.

I rekon the OAPS will run amuck in Dublin City outside the Dail and burst in there and run both Mr Kenny and Mr Gilmore out of it.:pac::D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭dermo88

What a shame, they were invited to the Barbeque but they are 3/4s of a century late.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

Well if they were all reigned in and stopped from comming over on cheap Ryanair flights to falsely claim the money,then maybe Miss Burton wouldnt have to take a tenner a week off the beloved OAPS.
    All the Polish are coming back here to falsely claim is it? Or... is it a small few but making it out to be a huge number is more enjoyable?

All the Polish are coming back here to falsely claim is it? Or... is it a small few but making it out to be a huge number is more enjoyable?

If they were all reigned in............................

"They" being the people who are comming back on cheap flights each month to falsely claim lots of money from the state.

If all of them who do it were all reigned in then yes,there would be lots of money saved,and maybe the OAPS or disabled people who live in this country wouldnt have cuts to their weekly payments.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

........"they were all".......the precise language of the seasoned debater...good to see you're sticking to the known facts there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Their hanging around the Netherlands alright.

Whether they are Irish or not is debatable as they wouldn't know her, they just see something resembling my big fat gypsy wedding and thing automatically that they are Irish.

Most of them have UK or German plates.
    I've seen the vans with removable magnetic signs on the sides with "Jimbobs Roofing" and such made up names.

Link

We had them at our front door one day, was a bit surprising to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭experiMental

woodoo wrote: »
    85% of them are unemployed. Their way of life is not sustainable.

So *they* say... but the reality is, they are working in mysterious occupations.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭photofinish

So *they* say... but the reality is, they are working in mysterious occupations.

Do you want tar or your garden or a nice bit of carpet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,229 ✭✭✭✭josip

I had to go pick up some teenagers(mine, sadly)from the gig in Slane, last night.

Any of them wearing fluorescent green hats and shorts and big grins on their faces?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,221 ✭✭✭NuckingFacker

josip wrote: »
    Any of them wearing fluorescent green hats and shorts and big grins on their faces?
    No. Why? Having had me for a Da, they are sensible susans, they actually left early as they said it was too rough to be worth the effort of putting up with the drunken clowns falling all over the place. Google translate Fail on the link above btw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

Omg I'm on holidays right now listening to bbc radio 5live drinking diet dr pepper. I feel sooooo lame!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,229 ✭✭✭✭josip

No. Why?
    I could have explained before 4.30 but now I'd be risking a ban since boards have decided that the topic is off limits.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 neuvoculchie

burn them burn them all

Advertisement