Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dubious 'Greatest Hits' Compilations

Options
  • 17-08-2013 11:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 72,747 ✭✭✭✭

Saw an ad on TV the other day, and had to do a double-take to make sure I wasn't seeing things...Scouting For Girls have a 'Greatest Hits'!!

64464851-sivestr-stalone-facepalm.gif

If I was in the band, I would be pretty miffed at the record company for allowing them to release a compilation after only THREE studio albums!!

With one, possibly TWO well-known 'hits'!

Any other examples of dubious 'greatest hits' that boardsies can think of?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11 jimmymallet

Rap group Arrested development have released more Best of albums than they've had hit singles.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

The Beatles.

It seems like every week there's a new compilation of old songs available elsewhere grouped together under some loose "theme" that barely matters.

"Greatest hits starting with the letter A"

And it doesnt matter how many copies they sell, they just add a "remastered" at some point and the sales start all over again.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭demixed

The undertones have almost twice the number of Compilations than albums at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Hannibal

InTheTrees wrote: »
    The Beatles.

It seems like every week there's a new compilation of old songs available elsewhere grouped together under some loose "theme" that barely matters.

"Greatest hits starting with the letter A"

And it doesnt matter how many copies they sell, they just add a "remastered" at some point and the sales start all over again.
    in fairness to The Beatles there's so much interest in their work and because it's mostly mono in the early 60's it was always going to be remastered. Even look at Neil Young for example.
    I know in 2009 they released two box sets of all The Beatles studio albums in mono and stereo. The Anthology series in the mid 90's wasn't exactly a greatest hits. "1" was I think their 27 number one singles on the same album and then the Red and Blue albums from the mid 70's. Considering The Beatles split in what 1969 and considering their popularity and the fact they're I think the biggest selling act in history they're not really milked as much as they could be.
    Nowadays acts have such a short shelf life that record companies cram in as much as possible then attach a compilation quick because they'll be forgotten about next week. One Direction is an obvious example on their third album in 3 years and they've wrote f-all of them just a constant cycle of songs to sing and drain everything out of the latest cash cow before the next big thing comes around and they're dropped

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Green Giant

JLS

Yes, that JLS. Seriously.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

"The Complete Stone Roses" Released by Silvertone after the band had left the label.

Pretty much just their first album with added B-Sides and a couple of stand alone singles. They also chopped off half of "I am the Resurrection"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭allybhoy

I remember being in HMV years ago and seeing a 3 disc greatest hits from "the inspiral carpets"
    They had 4 studio albums and "This is how it feels" was their most commercially successful single and the highest it got to was 14

Advertisement