Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of Rewiring Old House

Options
  • 17-08-2013 11:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 30

RewiringOld House

I have a detached4 bedroom house (circa 1930), which was rewired in the early 1960’s.

It isconstructed of solid concrete walls and timber floors through-out.

A storageheater was installed in the mid 1980s and the kitchen was also rewired at thistime.

The househas oil fired central heating installed.

What wouldit cost to rewire this house in compliance with the ETCL or IEE standard?

Many thanks

PensionerPete

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

RewiringOld House

I have a detached4 bedroom house (circa 1930), which was rewired in the early 1960’s.

A storageheater was installed in the mid 1980s and the kitchen was also rewired at thistime.

What wouldit cost to rewire this house in compliance with the ETCL or IEE standard?

Many thanks

PensionerPete

Hi Pete,

It would be hard to give a price without much more detailed information.

For an accurate quotation my advice would be to get at least 3 quotations from registered electrical contractors. In general electrical contractors will provide you with a free quotation.

Registered electrical contractors with the ECSSA can be found here:
    http://www.ecssa.ie/find_contractor.html

Registered electrical contractors with the RECI can be found here:
    http://www.reci.ie/ConsumerServices/FindanElectrician.aspx

In Ireland electrical installations must comply with the "National Rules for Electrical Installations" link:

http://www.etci.ie/safety/nationalruleselectricalinstallations.html

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭The Kurgan

Hi ,
    Just to jump on the thread..
    As regards a Domestic rewire ,is there a requirement or preference for one or the other,should there be any other certs to look for ???Doing very similar project as Pensioner Pete so wondering should I be looking at one or the other or both..

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

The Kurgan wrote: »
    As regards a Domestic rewire ,is there a requirement or preference for one or the other

ECSSA or RECI??
    No.

should there be any other certs to look for ???

Absolutely.
    Once the rewire is completed an ETCI completion certificate should be issued to the customer.

Here is a explaining link to certification process.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Linto

RewiringOld House

Many thanks

PensionerPete

10 to 15 k

I'm in the process of getting quotes a Bungalow in Wexford Circa 1930's . (770 SQF) (70SQM).

I'va attached a few photos, of the Fuse box which is outside in the front Porch as such .Also attached are pictures of the cabling in the attic down to the rooms below.

Currently most of the sockets and light switches are surface mounted.
    We wont be looking for any fancy chrome fitting and standard white fitting and no spotlights . (bungalows a holiday home really)

We will be converting a box room into a Bathroom with Elec shower over Bath &
    also converting a a small bathroom into Kithenette so ,oven/fridge freezer will need to cabled for .
    There will be five rooms in total , none being bigger than 14ft x 13.

In all rooms will be running at least CAT6 and maybe cable for alarm,
    And two x double sockets in 4 rooms and for the kichenette I suppose 3 doubles .

Wired for doorbell & Light outside front door..
    Finally down the line will be oil central heating so need to factor that in.

House will be unoccupied all furniture bits and bobs removed .

Was hoping it might be around the €4000 mark but looking at what Linto reckoned OP might need to Fork out am I way off the mark ???

Thanks in advance,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭tomdempsey200

it won't cost 10-15k

more like 5

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Mr.Fred

RewiringOld House

Many thanks

PensionerPete

A lot more information would be needed to give a rough quote but as recommended I'd get a few quotes as you can see from poster below some prices can be way off. I'd allow about 5k as a rough budget depending on standard of fittings required.
    Linto wrote: »
    10 to 15 k
    I think it's safe to say those days and these prices are gone. Perhaps if it was a very large house and garage with the best of the best but from the sounds of the op's project it's a bare bones install.
    The Kurgan wrote: »
    I'm in the process of getting quotes a Bungalow in Wexford Circa 1930's . (770 SQF) (70SQM).

I'va attached a few photos, of the Fuse box which is outside in the front Porch as such .Also attached are pictures of the cabling in the attic down to the rooms below.

Currently most of the sockets and light switches are surface mounted.
    We wont be looking for any fancy chrome fitting and standard white fitting and no spotlights . (bungalows a holiday home really)

We will be converting a box room into a Bathroom with Elec shower over Bath &
    also converting a a small bathroom into Kithenette so ,oven/fridge freezer will need to cabled for .
    There will be five rooms in total , none being bigger than 14ft x 13.

In all rooms will be running at least CAT6 and maybe cable for alarm,
    And two x double sockets in 4 rooms and for the kichenette I suppose 3 doubles .

Wired for doorbell & Light outside front door..
    Finally down the line will be oil central heating so need to factor that in.

House will be unoccupied all furniture bits and bobs removed .

Was hoping it might be around the €4000 mark but looking at what Linto reckoned OP might need to Fork out am I way off the mark ???

Thanks in advance,

I would say you'll be home and dry easily for 4k it sounds like a straight forward job. If you're anyway handy and could do the chasing in the walls this will drop the cost and I reckon you could get it done for around the 2.5k mark if not less with someone you know.

Do you really require CAT 6 or did somebody recommend this to you. It wouldn't really be required for recreational use to be honest.

Mr.Fred wrote: »
    A lot more information would be needed to give a rough quote but as recommended I'd get a few quotes as you can see from poster below some prices can be way off. I'd allow about 5k as a rough budget depending on standard of fittings required.

I think it's safe to say those days and these prices are gone. Perhaps if it was a very large house and garage with the best of the best but from the sounds of the op's project it's a bare bones install.

I would say you'll be home and dry easily for 4k it sounds like a straight forward job. If you're anyway handy and could do the chasing in the walls this will drop the cost and I reckon you could get it done for around the 2.5k mark if not less with someone you know.

Do you really require CAT 6 or did somebody recommend this to you. It wouldn't really be required for recreational use to be honest.

Cheers Fred & Tom,

I'm quite handy but chasing walls might be pushing it for me, also as I'm living in Dublin with no transport & with time constraints it probably isn't an option ...I'd probably balls it up mind you ..

As regards the Cat6 , I'm in I.T and like the rest of the family there's endless amount of gadgets dvr,s etc , with Solid walls etc you can never beat a cable so
    might as well , I know i can use home plugs but id prefer not to use up sockets with them ..

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

I think what he means is Cat6 is probably overkill. Cat 5E is more than adequate.Cheaper than cat 6 and the cost saved will pay for wiring for an alarm which I would defintely do if your re wiring.

Advertisement