Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cloning my Windows 8 hard disk

• 17-08-2013 11:22am
    Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Quick question, my hard disk in my windows 8 laptop had recently started to make a clicking sound, I thinking this isnt a good sign, What I am wondering, can I go out and purchase a new internal Hard Disk and clone my existing one onto the new one, and then just swap them both. I really dont want to have to go through the whole procedure of having to back up all contents of current drive and then try and copy them to the new drive once that sets up.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

Aquos76 wrote: »
    can I go out and purchase a new internal Hard Disk and clone my existing one onto the new one

This should work, unless the drive is already damaged.
    Aquos76 wrote: »
    I really dont want to have to go through the whole procedure of having to back up all contents of current drive

Backups are a pain in the behind, aren't they? :D

Seriously, if your drive makes "clicking noises", a backup of your personal files is the first thing you should do, worry about the cloning later.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Look up a program called copy commander, it runs on a live disk; it will clone your existing hard drive to a new one, pop the new cloned drive into the machine and your sorted. Both new and old hard drives must be connected by sata cables so best do it in a desktop machine, copy commander is a live disk so no need for any os.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭truedoom

I recommend Acronis True Image,

allows you to clone HDD's, and I've never had a problem with it. You burn it to a disk, and boot from the disk, and when it's started can be left to clone the HDD's without issue :)

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭chopper666

I got a new Fujitsu laptop today with Windows 8 and 330GB of memory, I have all my music backed up on an external hard drive which amounts to about 200GB. I tried to copy my music to my new laptop and after 1/4(approx.) had copied it said windows was low on space.....What Da F**k is that all about....please help, can not live without my music :mad:

Is the hard drive partioned? Open Computer and see if there are 2 local disks (C & D). If so, you can resize the partions or create a new folder on the D drive, copy some of your music into it and add it as a new location to your music library.

• Advertisement

Yes hard drive is portioned so the music I copied went into the C disk, how can I resize the portions and by how much ?

How To Resize Your Windows 8 Partition

It goes without saying that you should create a drive image as a backup before tinkering with partition tables.

Torqay wrote: »
    How To Resize Your Windows 8 Partition

It goes without saying that you should create a drive image as a backup before tinkering with partition tables.
    all sorted....just copied everything to D and created short cut from desktop....music again yeeee ha

Advertisement