Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Driving Theory Test a racket?

• 17-08-2013 12:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭

It's costs €45 and it's asks silly questions with a few trick questions in there for good measure.

After you pass this you must apply for a learning permit for another €35.
    The questions on the test are multi choice asking about the tire thread depth for example.
    You get a laminated cert after the test so you can use it to apply for your laminated learners permit.:rolleyes:

Why not just have the 40 questions at the end of the practical driving test?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭Aspiring

I think it's great. Only takes a few days to learn them off and then you can nearly drive. If anything you should have to do more than Theory test + a few lessons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

I didn't realise the cert they give you is laminated! That kind of makes it worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭wazky

It's costs €45 and it's asks silly questions with a few trick questions in there for good measure.

The questions on the test are multi choice asking about the tire thread depth for example.
    You get a laminated cert after the test so you can use it to apply for your laminated learners permit.:rolleyes:

The real joke is asking tractor questions, most learners are getting into a Fiat Henhouse, not a Massey Ferguson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

Because they want to make sure you know the rules of the road before you get behind the wheel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 228 ✭✭PingO_O

Not to mention the eye exam you have to do which just cost me €25 :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Slow down and proceed with caution is the only answer you need to know.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

If one of the answers is "sound your horn", it is invariably the wrong one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

No one likes inappropriate use of a horn.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Oddly enough, I was just taking a practise theory test a few minutes ago.
    So without a provisional license, how do people learn to drive?

Simply get a car and start learning? Then how do you distinguish between people learning to drive and people who failed 5 times and just decided to drive without a license?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Dostoevsky

Driving Theory Test a racket?

It's run by a private company so of course it's not a racket. Impossible. As any good right-wing lunatic in After Hours can tell you, it's only state-run things which are rackets, rip-offs and burdened by inefficiencies...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

PingO_O wrote: »

I know. What a load of balls. What has seeing got to do with driving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭wazky

I know. What a load of balls. What has seeing got to do with driving.

Very little apparently if you actually know what the legal limit is!, I would define it as blind as a bat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭dirtyden

Nimrod 7 wrote: »

Simply get a car and start learning? Then how do you distinguish between people learning to drive and people who failed 5 times and just decided to drive without a license?

The ones who failed 5 times wont have a license. It is the law that you have to have your license with you, be it provisional or full when driving.

The guards if they stop someone without a license will distinguish pretty quickly.

Maybe I picked you up wrong do you mean what is to distinguish between them as drivers? I'd imagine very little would. Is a driving instructor whoever they may be also liable if they are teaching a student without a provisional?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,049 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Until I saw the OP I'd never heard of anyone failing the theory test.

Do you have to wait long for a resit OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭photofinish

blackwhite wrote: »
    Until I saw the OP I'd never hesrd ofnanyonr failing the theory test.

Do you have to wait long for a resit OP?

I passed I never HESRD OFNANYONR not reading a post properly before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Aspiring wrote: »
    I think it's great. Only takes a few days to learn them off and then you can nearly drive. If anything you should have to do more than Theory test + a few lessons.

Exactly, when I got my learners permit saying I can legally drive, I could get into a car but I could not actually move it:D. Took me about 20 attempts to get the car going and about 10hrs before I could get a car going with confidence at will. It really is a joke, but if everyone had an automatic it would not really matter they are basically go carts.

Typing on the phone

And where exactly did you say you passed?

blackwhite wrote: »
    Typing on the phone

And where exactly did you say you passed?

Where did I say I did not pass?:D

Also I hope your not driving while typing on your phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭mutley18

PingO_O wrote: »

My doctor is quite thick, I did the eye test with glasses on and she marked the "does not need corrective lenses when driving box"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Zomg Okay

It's a valid assumption to make though. Every time the "Is the driving test a racket?" thread shows up the OP has invariably failed it.

• Advertisement

mutley18 wrote: »
    My doctor is quite thick, I did the eye test with glasses on and she marked the "does not need corrective lenses when driving box"

How can I become a patient in that surgery?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,111 ✭✭✭circadian

Surely it should be provisional licence > driving lessons with instructor to learn rules of the road > theory and practical.

I failed my theory. Couldn't actually believe it, I counted 2 questions I was unsure of but the rest I was certain.

What's with the tractor stuff, can't they do a licence with and without agricultural questions? Sure I'll drive to work across Dublin in me Massey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

mutley18 wrote: »

Because you might just need glasses for reading up close and your eye sight in general is fine for driving?

Where did I say I did not pass?:D

Also I hope your not driving while typing on your phone.

Usually people who rant about being made take a test are people who struggle to pass.

And why on earth would I be driving? I've barely made it out of bed

Zomg Okay wrote: »
    It's a valid assumption to make though. Every time the "Is the driving test a racket?" thread shows up the OP has invariably failed it.

No I passed the thing and then I found out I needed an eye exam and to apply for something else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Nimrod 7 wrote: »

Plenty of countries the world over where there is no such thing as a provisional license and people still learn to drive. In a lot of cases significantly better than here as well.

There are people out there that even make a living teaching people to drive.

Imagine that....

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Drakares

Be happy. Here in Germany it's obligitory to:

- Sit 21 hours of theory classes ~€350
    - Be qualified in first aid by taking classes ~€40
    - 5 hours of practical driving with an instructor on the Autobahn ~€500
    - 5 hours of driving on country roads, and roads at night time ~€500
    - Pass a theory test
    - Pass a driving practical

There is no provisional license here, only a full license, and it's impossible to acquire without all the above

Advertisement