Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attempted abductions in Meath

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

That article is from 2011.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭niallam

January wrote: »
    That article is from 2011.

It seems to have gone viral on FB over the last few days but nobody noticed the date :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Because there was a report in Tallaght, people have found this and assume because the date is August that it is recent.

January wrote: »
    Because there was a report in Tallaght, people have found this and assume because the date is August that it is recent.

A red van was at it last year in the navan / Kells area as well.
    I heard last week of a black BMW in the Johnstown area, man with shaven head driving it? Not too sure but these stories can sometimes be like Chinese whispers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

This is the first I've heard of any of this. However, it really shocks me that such bastards are willing to chance their freedom and engage in this practice. I am wondering if it could be any of the uptight bald-headed men that I know. I doubt it, but that man is out there somewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Qardaha

Most of these stories are utter rubbish and scaremongering. If these "attempts" were genuine, there would actually be abductions. The fact that the article has gone viral - it being from 2011, demonstrates this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Scottie99

Just spoken to my wife, she's saying it was in the Meath Chronicle. Can't seem to access the their site

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Scottie99

Qardaha wrote: »
    scaremongering.

Scaremongering no but concern for our children

Scottie99 wrote: »
    Scaremongering no but concern for our children

By all means, but there is a sustained and collective paranoia out there which has people in a state of panic. Based on what? Dozens of "attempted" abductions from a white car, a blue car, a red car - with the driver offering "sweets". I believe there would actually be an abduction, seeing as there are so many attempts.

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭dharma200

Same as the poor guy in the ice cream van who lost his business and nearly was done in by a bunch of pitch fork wielding face bookers. If there is a warning for this type of thing I suggest looking up the guards website and press. Facebook is full of stories that people copy and paste without even as much as glancing at the source.

• Advertisement

I believe there would actually be an abduction, seeing as there are so many attempts.

So your waiting until there is an abduction to believe that there are actually attempts happening? Do you have kids of your own, would you be concerned about strangers approaching them if they wandered around the corner from the house out of your sight?

Unfortunately the world we live in is different than it used to be. Children have been educated differently about strangers and how to react when approached.

niallam wrote: »
    So your waiting until there is an abduction to believe that there are actually attempts happening? Do you have kids of your own, would you be concerned about strangers approaching them if they wandered around the corner from the house out of your sight?

Unfortunately the world we live in is different than it used to be. Children have been educated differently about strangers and how to react when approached.

What do you mean waiting for it to happen? I'm pointing out that it hasn't happen and my belief in that the majority of these "attempts" are untrue and scaremongering which ignite on Facebook.

It's as simple as this - educate your children about strangers, supervise and protect your children as much and as often as possible. And yes I would be concerned - but I don't go on Facebook sharing unsubstantiated rumors and gossip about a "man in a white van".

I just hope that the same effort is made if, god forbid, an abduction actually takes place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭rpurfield

What do you mean waiting for it to happen? I'm pointing out that it hasn't happen and my belief in that the majority of these "attempts" are untrue and scaremongering which ignite on Facebook.

It's as simple as this - educate your children about strangers, supervise and protect your children as much and as often as possible. And yes I would be concerned - but I don't go on Facebook sharing unsubstantiated rumors and gossip about a "man in a white van".

I just hope that the same effort is made if, god forbid, an abduction actually takes place.

Something along these lines happened here in stamullen where an individual made very serious allegations about someone involved in classes for children. Those of us who either knew the person making the allegations or the subject of them knew they were complete lies but it didnt stop a lot of people posting and sharing these allegations, Facebook is utterly lethal for that kind of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

These 'abductions' are made up by idiots, this is the offical update from the Gardai in the area this week.

Hi all,

Eminem Concert.

During the concert yesterday a number of lost items were handed into the Garda Office on site. Car keys, passports, mobile phones and wallets were handed in. Please contact Slane Garda Station 041-9824202 in order to get your property back

--
    .Fatal Road Traffic Collision.
    Gardaí In Navan are appealing for witnesses following a fatal traffic collision which occured approx one mile from Kilberry on the Slane road at Rathcoon last Thursday 15 August at 9.25pm. The incident occured when a lady in her early 50s driving a moped died following the collision with a car. The lady's body was removed to Navan General Hospital where she later announced dead. Anyone with information are asked to contact Navan Garda station on 046 – 9036100, the Garda Confidential line on 1800 666 111 or any Garda station.

There have been a number of social sites who have been re-circulating warnings issued over two years ago regarding suspicious approached to children in the Trim and Navan areas. There are currently no alerts in Meath concerning suspicious approaches to children. Please share with your friends.

Advertisement