Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Access to library online resources as an Alumni?

Options
  • 17-08-2013 1:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭

I loved reading JSTOR and other online journal databases, historical newspaper articles, and so much else via my UCD account. For years after leaving UCD I used to be able to use my login details to read them. They cancelled that login about two years ago (I understand loads of outdated accounts were cancelled at that time).

Is there any way that UCD alumni (or anybody) can continue to get access to those resources via, presumably, payment of a fee to the university? Or is there any other state-funded institution (e.g. Dublin City Library) which will allow us to access them? What sort of cost is involved?

To pay independently for a subscription for each journal etc individually is obviously not a runner as each one is ridiculous expensive and I'd read articles which are from a huge range of journals etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

You don't get access to them as an Alumni. You can get access to the library but I'm not sure if the computers there access the journals without an ID

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Dostoevsky

Maldesu wrote: »
    You don't get access to them as an Alumni. You can get access to the library but I'm not sure if the computers there access the journals without an ID

Yeah, just as I expected. I got one of those Alumni cards a couple of years ago for, I think, €25 but it didn't allow me to access the online journals from home. I was hoping there was another way. It could be a nice source of income for UCD as I'm sure plenty of people outside universities want to read up on research and ideas and would be willing to pay a modest fee per annum for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Canteloupey

Try Dublin City Library, just pop in one of them and ask. They're subscribed to loads of journals and it's free. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Whistlejacket

Yes you can register with the UCD library as an external reader alumni via UCD Connect. I think the fee is about 100-200 euro per year (it has varied depending on special offers, discounts for attending UCD CPD events etc.). An absolute bargain given the range of journals it gives you access to. I'm a veterinary graduate so my registration path was via the vet hospital CVE portal (although the registration allows me to access journals across all disciplines).

I don't know how it works for other faculties but I'd start by contacting the individual faculty or library you are interested in/graduated from.

Advertisement