Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Torch on felt or galvanised for shed roof

• 17-08-2013 2:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭

I am in the market for a 12X10 foot wooden garden shelf.

I have a few quotes and one point I'm stuck on is roof type. Two suppliers have a similar price but one has galvanised metal roof (Abwood) and the other offers torch felt (SteelTech for O'briens Galway).

Any opinions on what is better?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,461 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Felt will need replacing every 5-10 years , metal won't. I know which one I'd go for! I have to replace my felt shed roof and it keeps getting put off as its a pain in the arse to do.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Ozziej wrote: »
    I am in the market for a 12X10 foot wooden garden shelf.

I have a few quotes and one point I'm stuck on is roof type. Two suppliers have a similar price but one has galvanised metal roof (Abwood) and the other offers torch felt (SteelTech for O'briens Galway).

Any opinions on what is better?

Go for the non drip roof cladding/galvanised metal roof option .

It will outlast the actual shed itself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Supercell wrote: »
    Felt will need replacing every 5-10 years , metal won't. I know which one I'd go for! I have to replace my felt shed roof and it keeps getting put off as its a pain in the arse to do.

Good quality torch on felt will last a lot longer than 5-10 years. A finished layer as well as underlay, both torched on is easily done to provide a lasting and resilient weatherproof membrane which is also an excellent insulator. The neighbours will also most likely prefer it to the rat a tat tat noise of a metal roof.

Advertisement